32 comments

Fiction Funny Happy

Title: A Second-thought Opportunity

Author: Haripriya

Authors Note: Hello everyone! I hope you all are having a fabulous Saturday! This story is pretty short, but I still liked writing it and had a lot of fun because it was nice finally writing a story that involved character change, and I am proud of myself for doing it!! But other than that, I hope you all had a fun time reading this story!

I was jobless. Before, I was working in a big company, earning lots and lots of money. Somehow the CEO of it just fired me, like they didn't even care about me. So much for "I will try to be a good manager, listening to the clients, and hearing you all out."Β 

That old guy didn't even listen to what I wanted to say to defend myself. All he wants is the "useless" people to be kicked out of the office. He tried to word that in the nicest way he can, but we all know what he implied when he said, "I am deeply sorry about all the tragic things that have happened because of over-employment. But it seems that your working performance has been severely down for the past few months. I want to let you know that I will help you find another option."

Now it's been almost over seven months since he even contacted me for a job offer. All I do every day is wake up, and eat and sleep. Now I feel like all my point in working is just no use. At least IΒ usedΒ to earn a good income, but now...now it's just all for nothing.

I worked very hard every day, tried to put in all my efforts and my hard work each time I was assigned to do a project. But the CEO over here didn't realize any of my work.

It's not my fault he just can't realize the work and effort I put into his company!Β 

All I can say is just that it's my fault for being a good client.Β 

✩✩✩

"Hey, Greg, I know how you're feeling, and I get it, it must be hard for you. I mean you're trying to apply for all the finance positions, and no one's getting back to you." my brother called, and said.

"Hey, George. Yup, just like that my sweat for this company, my overnight shifts, all of it is gone." I wailed.

"I understand. But did you take a look at my recommendations for jobs?" he asked.

I hesitantly replied, "Yeah. The engineer option didn't match my resume. Also, I applied for the technician, but the staff members never got back to me."

"Well, what about the teacher? It seems really nice. You also have work experience of tutoring little kids for three years! I suggest you apply." he suggested enthusiastically.

My ears twitched after hearing this. Working with kids? I mean, I did that tuition thing years ago! I probably don't have any experience with it! Plus, I need a bachelor's degree in it! What does George evenΒ thinkΒ he's doing?

"Look, it's not just the work experience of teaching three-year-olds when I was fourteen. It's about having a degree, and even participating in the student teaching things. How am I supposed to do all that brother? Just, please recommend something that will actually work." I heaved a big sigh as I told him all the reasons why IΒ can'tΒ be a teacher.

"Greg, we all know that's not the only reason why you don't want to be a teacher. Don't lie to your older brother. I know that your little one and your wife died, but since then, you've just hated the wordΒ kids. You need to liven up a bit, you know? I just don't understand why you don't like children. I know how you feel about losing your own, but that doesn't mean you should dislike other children. What have they ever done to you? I know that you can work hard to meet these qualifications. Just please, try."

"But Iβ€”" I spoke shivering.

"You know what? Let me give you a test. Why don't you look after my three children? Ally, Karen, and Drew? They have always wanted to see their uncle. So, what do you say?" George asked me.

I had no option but to say, "I guess...yes. Yes, meaning I'll look after your children, but still a maybe to the whole teacher thing." I warned him.

He chuckled a little and said, "Sure. I'll drop them off later this afternoon. I'll come by at 4:30 pm, and come back at 8:00 pm. Is that fine? The kids need to eat their dinner." he questioned me.

"Sure George. Bye." I spoke softly and cut the phone call.Β 

✩✩✩

"Kids! Here is your uncle Greg! You all wanna meet him?" George cooed to his children, my nephews.Β 

When I saw little Ally running, it reminded me of my little Iris. She was about Ally's age, turning four soon when the incident happened. I lost two of the people I loved the most during the car crash. I don't even like talking or mentioning it at all. It makes my heart feel sullen.Β 

"Uncle G!! Can we call you Uncle G?" asked Ally.

I smiled and hugged them, then I whispered to Ally, "Of course you can little one."

"I'm so happy to see you! We can...play games, and talk, and play more games, and...did I already say games?" Drew asked.

"Oh, you said it multiple times." "I have some things planned." I fibbed.

"Yay! What is it? What is it?" asked curious Karen.Β 

"Well," I prompted, and thought hard, but words didn't form. "we'll play g-games!"Β 

I felt ashamed of myself, stammering in front of the little ones. What would they think about their uncle?Β 

"Ok Greg, I'm leaving you in charge. Remember, if you need anythingβ€”" he said, but I interrupted.

"Call you, I know George. I'm sure we'll have fun, right kiddos?" I yelled.

Honestly, I didn't know if the phraseΒ kiddosΒ were even used these days anymore. Probably something like kids? It's hard to keep track of the generations and trends.Β 

"Sure uncle! Let's play Treasure Hunt!!" Drew exclaims.

"No! I wanna play Hot Potato!" Ally argues.

"Ugh! All your ideas are bad! I want to play Uno." Karen hollers back.

Soon, as expected, the three of them starting fighting over what game we should play.Β 

Sighing, I tried to mediate the fight.

"Come on everyone! No need for violence! We'll play all these games. But to decide who's game we should play first, we can do rock-paper-scissors-shoot!" Is suggested.

"Ok." Ally sad.

"Fine," Karen replied.

"I guess..." Drew responded.

✩✩✩

The 2 hours and thirty minutes flew by so fast that I didn't even realize how much the four of us had bonded. If I had such a great time with these kids, I guess I would also have a great time with a lot more students.Β 

I immediately called George, "Hey George. You're right. Yesterday was fun. I was considering your job offer from yesterday, and I guess I'll take it. Being a teacher won't be as terrible as I expected."

"I knew you would finally realize how magnificent kids are! I'll send you the link," he responded and cut the phone call.

✩✩✩

After my bachelor's degree, my experience in student teaching, and after taking the teacher certification test, I was finally ready to become a teacher. I applied for it, and I got my first opportunity as a science teacher for a fifth-grade class. I hope everything goes well.

~The End~

December 12, 2020 20:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Hello everyone! I hope you are having a great Saturday! Some quick things I have to say about my story: 1. This one is the total opposite to the one I wrote yesterday. Opposite, meaning the length of it. The other one was pretty long, and this one is pretty short, but I still had a blast writing it because of the entire prompt in general. So I hope you don't mind how short it is! 2. If becoming a teacher wherever you live is a different way, then I'm sorry I didn't include it. Here, (in the U.S.) you have to enroll in a bachelor's deg...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hi Haripriya:) Wonderful, I think its short but super sweet! And loved the touch of sadness in the beginning and then he gets a job he'd love! overall incredible work!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Ray Dyer
22:16 Dec 13, 2020

Nice story! You tackled something that a lot of people are dealing with right now. The term "over-employment" stood out as a term you would definitely hear in the sort of conversation you're describing. It was nice following a situation like this, where the ending was a relief. Thank you for sharing your story!

Reply

Thank you so much Ray! I loved this comment! Yours is like the comment of my entire week! I appreciate it so much! :)

Reply

Ray Dyer
22:20 Dec 13, 2020

Yea!!! That's great!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
15:47 Dec 13, 2020

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Reply

Show 1 reply
Nora K.
21:46 Dec 12, 2020

Hello again!! :) This was such a wonderfully sweet story!! A true tale of growing up and getting a job (ugh, can everyone be kids forever, please? Hehe!), while keeping the magic of childhood alive! It is so incredibly amazing how you can write such spectacular stories in only days!! It turns out, after a few attempts, I’m having a bit of trouble with these prompts (total bummer). Nonetheless, I will still try to get a story out!! It takes pure creativity and imagination to write such lovely stories incredibly quickly, so a round of applaus...

Reply

Hello Nora!! I love your kind words! You're right! Being a kid is the best time! Also, you'll get ideas! If you even want, we can do a collaboration together, with stories and things like that! :)

Reply

Nora K.
23:37 Dec 12, 2020

Oh my goodness, that would be so amazing! I would absolutely love that, thanks so so much!!! :)

Reply

No problem! Maybe we could do the inheritance one!! Maybe you can write the 1st part, and I'll write the second one!! If only you want though...

Reply

Nora K.
00:18 Dec 13, 2020

Of course! That would be spectacular!! I would love to do the inheritance one! :)

Reply

Yay!! So, do you wanna do part 1 of it? Start if off, and after reading your story, I can do a part 2 based on that?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:10 Dec 13, 2020

I dont have much to say except that this gets a 10/10

Reply

B. W.
03:48 Dec 13, 2020

no prob ^^

Reply

B. W.
17:39 Dec 13, 2020

I'm still surprised how you get your stories out so fast, actually- i think you, me and Zilla get our stories out all really quickly somehow

Reply

Idk, it's just the amount of interest you have in each prompt, but thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.