The way rain changes the color of the sidewalk

Submitted into Contest #258 in response to: Center your story around two strangers who bond over their shared love of photography.... view prompt

39 comments

Contemporary Romance Fiction

I was in the park taking a picture of an oak tree from a bench. I had my elbow firmly planted on my thigh; the heavy lens cupped in the palm of my hand and trying to wait for the wind to blow the leaves and branches in just the right way. I wasn’t paying attention to anything else. I snapped the shot. It wasn’t until afterwards that I noticed the woman in the yellow dress that was just on the edge of my shot taking a picture of the exact same tree. At first, I was irritated. Then I looked up from my camera and watched her. I decided to walk up to her.

“Hey,” I waved at her. “I accidentally got you in one of my shots.”

She turned to look at me. I could see her. She was simple, yet pretty. “What’s that?” she asked.

I pulled up my camera and showed her the preview of the photo I took. “I accidentally got you in one of my pictures of the tree.”

She was hesitant at first, almost embarrassed. “Oh, I’m sorry,” she said.

“No, it’s a fine picture. I had been trying to get a picture of this tree for hours, just waiting for the wind to blow just right. Do you want to see it?”

“No, I’m okay,” she said. She held her camera, a small Nikon, around her neck by a strap with one hand on the lens.

I panicked. I pulled my camera back. “I’m sorry,” I said. My brow began to sweat.

I went back to my bench. I laid back on it with my jacket as a pillow. I could feel the heaviness of my camera on my chest as I breathed in and out. I’m not sure how long I laid there, but when I sat back up, she was gone.

I took a walk around the trail and tried to find a new spot to shoot. I came around a bend and saw a fat squirrel with a fry in its mouth scampering through the grass. He would bounce, stop, look, and bounce some more. He did this until he reached the trunk of a small tree. He scurried up the tree and sat on a branch eating his fry. I couldn’t see any meaning in the picture since the fry was gone.

I looked back one last time, part of me looking for a shot but a bigger part of me looking for the girl. She wasn’t there. I walked down the street a few blocks to a coffee shop. I ordered an Americano and then sat in a booth. I put my bag in the empty seat across from me and pulled out my laptop. I took the SD card from the camera and put it in the computer. While it loaded, I sipped on my Americano.

It was quiet, the sounds of coffee grinders, milk steamers, and the low chatter of a few patrons. One girl would call out orders. A latte with oat milk, she would yell. Iced mocha with no cream, she would call out. The subtle sound of new jazz instrumentals steady behind it all.

My back was to the door, so when the hanging bell on it jingled when somebody walked in, I didn’t pay any mind. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a small flash of yellow. I peeked over out of the corner of my eye, and it was the girl from the park. I panicked again and started to sweat a little bit in my armpits.

I sipped on my drink, pretending to be oblivious that she walked in. I paid extra close attention to my computer. I was making adjustments to the photograph and then I noticed that the picture I had pulled up was the one with the girl in it. I glanced over and she was at the counter. I quickly closed out of the picture and pulled up another one, and as I did, I knocked my glass slightly so that the coffee spilled a little over the edges of the cup. I ignored it and went back to working on a new picture.

She sat at a table in the middle of the room by herself. She had her camera setting on the table and a mug with steam rolling off the top of it. I tried not to look at her and focus on my work.

I felt a small tickle in my sinuses. I tried to ignore it, tried to rub my nose or look upward or think of a word to repeat in my head or put my tongue to the roof of my mouth so it would go away. But it did not work. I let out a sneeze into the crook of my arm. Instinctively, she turned to say bless you. We made eye contact and she looked at me for a brief moment before turning back around in her seat.

“Are you following me?” she asked me.

“No.”

“Why are you here?”

“I came here for a coffee.”

“A coffee?”

“Yes,” I said. “Mine isn’t even hot anymore. I’ve been here for a while.”

She looked at the steam coming from her cup, then at mine. “I’m sorry,” she said.

“You don’t have to apologize. I apologize for coming up to you at the park.”

“Do you mind if I sit with you?” she asked.

I pulled my bag from the other side of the booth and waved her in. I closed my laptop and looked at her across from me.

“You have a nice camera. Are you a professional?” she asked.

“I try to be.”

“I just do it for fun.”

“That makes for the best pictures,” I said. “Trying too hard takes the joy out of the moment that you’re trying to capture.” We paused to sip our drinks. “What are you having?”

“Just a regular coffee,” she said. There was a silence again. Not an unwanted silence, nor an awkward silence. Just the silence between two people. “Can I see the picture you took? The one with me in it.”

“Yeah,” I said. “Yeah, of course. I didn’t do it intentionally.” I was opening my laptop and pulling up the file. “I didn’t notice you there until after I had taken it. I was just waiting on the wind to blow this one branch just the right way.” I turned my computer toward her.

“Usually, I edit my photos. Not much, just slightly to bring certain colors out a little more. I haven’t done that with this one yet.”

“That’s beautiful. I look so small.”

“Thank you,” I said.

“I suppose I am,” she said as a continued thought.

“What?”

“Small,” she said. “I was trying to get a picture of that very tree, but I couldn’t capture it the way I wanted to. They all looked bland.”

“I’m sure they’re just as good.”

She sat looking at the picture. I finished my drink. “I’m going to get another drink. Do you need anything?”

She shook her head no as she looked at the photograph. I left her there with my laptop. I ordered my drink and waited at the counter for it. I came back and she was clicking through my photos.

“These are,” she paused, “I don’t know the word for it. Amazing doesn’t seem big enough. You’re very talented.”

“Thank you,” I said. I sipped my drink and burned my tongue. I held it in.

“Do you only do nature and landscapes?”

“Mostly.”

She looked over at me with only her eyes. She sat back in the booth, and I closed my laptop and put it in my bag. We both took a drink. “I’m Robert,” I said.

“Ashley.”

“Do you live around here?” I asked.

“Kind of,” she said. “Do you?”

I nodded with a full drink in my mouth. “Just a few blocks south.”

We sat there in the booth until her second drink was gone and mine had gone cold. There were less people in the building by then and the sun was getting a little lower. The fall of an early September rain started lightly outside. Small dots turned the light gray sidewalk a darker shade until the entire thing seemed to change color. It didn’t last long.

We walked outside and I held the door open behind me. It smelled like an early fall morning and the sun was just beginning to break between the trees and the temperature was getting colder.

“I should be getting home,” she said. “Thank you for the company.”

“Of course,” I said. “Thank you. It was nice talking with you.”

If we had known each other, we would have hugged goodbye at that point. But we didn’t and she turned and started walking down the sidewalk. If she was going to a car or a bike or a bus stop, I wasn’t sure. She was about ten yards away and I yelled for her. “Hey!” I yelled. And she turned around.

July 09, 2024 21:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Carol Stewart
15:41 Jul 10, 2024

Love the atmosphere you created here, the very real descriptions of the shy mc, the park, the cafe, all so aptly visual. Great ending too. And the title which immediately drew me in. Just one thing - she looked only with her eyes? I got the impression that you were trying to reach for words that didn't come in this line? Thank you for the likes on mine.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
15:51 Jul 10, 2024

Thanks for the read, Carol! :) I'm glad you liked the title. Coming up with titles for short stories is one of the most important parts in my opinion. It's almost as much part of the story as the story itself. As for that line, I actually wanted to portray that image of almost a side-eye, that moment when somebody looks over before even turning their head. Maybe that part just didn't come through though haha.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
W. H. Goodwater
13:18 Jul 10, 2024

That was actually so cleansing to read. I found it really comforting. The dialogue is well written and I just love the way you sprinkled in the moments of calm. The short bout of rain might have been my favorite part, although I enjoyed it all the way through. It ended at the perfect moment!

Reply

A.R. Eakle
14:15 Jul 10, 2024

That’s so nice to hear! Thanks, Willow! That’s kind of the vibe I was going for on this story. Glad you I was able to bring you a little relaxation. It was definitely a peaceful one to write. Kind of opposite from my usual chaotic stories haha.

Reply

W. H. Goodwater
17:38 Jul 10, 2024

You're welcome! You nailed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
09:38 Jul 10, 2024

Adorable tale of the beginnings of a new love ! Lovely work !

Reply

A.R. Eakle
14:11 Jul 10, 2024

Thanks, Alexis!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessie Laverton
07:46 Jul 10, 2024

Oh! I was disappointed until he said “hey!”. You couldn’t just let her leave. Great detail in here, and balance between external events and introspection.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
14:09 Jul 10, 2024

Awh, thanks, Jessie! I wanted that tension until the very final line! Glad I was able to bring it back around for you! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
07:06 Jul 10, 2024

Beautiful simplicity.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
07:36 Jul 10, 2024

Simple was the goal with this one. 👌 Thanks for reading, man, I always appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:33 Jul 10, 2024

Ending has to lead to more. Right? Thanks for liking 'Much Ado About Nothing' And 'Day the World Changed'

Reply

A.R. Eakle
05:13 Jul 10, 2024

I think that’s the implication? Haha. But who knows 🤷🏼 And of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
00:30 Jul 10, 2024

Perfect ending (of course the rest is pretty good too) :-)

Reply

A.R. Eakle
00:47 Jul 10, 2024

Thank you so much for the read! Glad you liked the ending! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
12:50 Jul 17, 2024

I thought I was the only one who used his tongue to scratch the inside of his mouth! Oh what we learn in stories! Yeah so there is that. So much show and no tell, everything implied. I had a hard time understanding why the MC was so edgy at first, perfectionistic? Or did I miss something? Well done!

Reply

A.R. Eakle
14:00 Jul 17, 2024

Awesome! I’m glad I was able to cut back on the telling aspect of story. I’ve been really striving for that recently. I think in the beginning he was just being a perfectionist with his photograph of the tree. Thanks so much for the read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Terrie Stevens
19:12 Jul 16, 2024

great imagery. I loved your use of descriptions, not to much, but just enough to get the feeling. Very good

Reply

A.R. Eakle
20:17 Jul 16, 2024

Thanks, Terrie! I tried to go for a less is more approach with this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
00:57 Jul 16, 2024

Lovely story. I like the ending, allowing the reader to imagine what happens next.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
02:00 Jul 16, 2024

Exactly!!! Thank you for the read, Hazel. I really appreciate you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. Rain Sherwin
22:06 Jul 15, 2024

Nice work. I like the tentativeness throughout. I like the end is clearly a beginning. And I really like the title, alluding to a small, but complete change.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
22:37 Jul 15, 2024

Thanks, J! I’m so glad you like the title. That’s the reason I titled it that way. Titles are almost my favorite part about short stories, aside from the actual writing haha.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Kulak
16:57 Jul 15, 2024

It's a nice meet-cute story. I liked it.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
17:15 Jul 15, 2024

Thanks for the read, Daryl!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Farr
05:47 Jul 15, 2024

A.R, I loved your story. The imagery was true to life and the ending perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
06:05 Jul 15, 2024

Making my writing and dialogue true to life is exactly what I’ve been trying to improve on, so I’m glad I’m seeing some results! Thanks for the read, Emily!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
05:18 Jul 15, 2024

Great descriptions of the park and cafe. They help us see the characters. And oh my, feels like Central Park and the people who wander around in it, looking for who knows what. An end to loneliness in the big city that makes one feel lost, wanting more. Very nice work.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
06:03 Jul 15, 2024

Wow, thanks a lot, Beverly!! Glad you enjoyed it 😄😄😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Glenda Toews
00:24 Jul 14, 2024

I am so glad he yelled 'hey!'😁 You had great dialogue in this piece! It was a pleasure to read through.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
00:26 Jul 14, 2024

Haha, thanks, Glenda! Glad you enjoyed it 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
00:39 Jul 11, 2024

Sometimes the quiet stories are the most powerful. This is a lovely tale of two people who are probably more comfortable looking through the lenses of their cameras than interacting with others. I love how they sat together over coffee and that you ended it by giving us hope that they might meet up again. Very nice!

Reply

A.R. Eakle
01:16 Jul 11, 2024

Thanks, Karen! Glad you liked it. 😊😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Nghiem
19:07 Jul 10, 2024

I love your simple style that conveys the thoughts and feelings without overtelling the story. The only thing I would change is to start with "I snapped the shot." Then followed with the rest: My elbow firmly planted on my thigh, and the wind blowing through the trees in the park. I didn't notice .... So when you get to the ending and say "Hey!" You can snap the candid shot of Ashley turning and smiling. So your story starts with a photo you've been working for that goes wrong, and ends with a spontaneous candid shot of life happening and go...

Reply

A.R. Eakle
19:40 Jul 10, 2024

Thanks for the read! I’m glad you liked it. Thanks for the critique also; I’ll have to consider that if I ever go to publish this anywhere else 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Malcolm Twigg
13:47 Jul 12, 2024

Very enigmatic little story. I like the descriptive treatment but didn't quite understand the 'panicked' moments. The ending seemed a bit understated to me, leaving the reader dangling with no foothold in sight.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
14:53 Jul 12, 2024

Thanks for the read! Honestly, the entire thing is supposed to be understated. I think the ending definitely has a foothold though. It leaves a lot of room for the future of the couple. I think if I had left it without him calling for her, then there wouldn’t be anything there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:59 Jul 18, 2024

An ordinary story, rather can say a childish attempt.

Reply

A.R. Eakle
13:27 Jul 18, 2024

Are you trying to say that my story is a childish attempt at the prompt? 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.