Contest #135 shortlist ⭐️

THE SEA SPIDER AND THE BLUE HAIRED BOY

Submitted into Contest #135 in response to: Set your story in a town full of cowards.... view prompt

24 comments

Coming of Age Middle School Fantasy

When the giant sea spider swallowed the entire town of Cobble, it was decided that something should be done about it.

Flee, the next town over and slightly higher up, had watched the unfortunate event from their balconies and terraces, very pale and very shaky, and also very quiet—in case the sea spider decided to look up and think about dessert.

But lucky for the town of Flee, the sea spider had poor vision. He was old—old as the sea in which he inhabited—and every century or so felt peckish for a town or two, depending on his appetite. Or so the tales said. 

It was far more unlucky for the tourists. Adventurists hoping for a selfie in front of the ruins of the last leveled town or maybe a fridge magnet from the souvenir shop or a beer mug with eight handles (the region was quite fond of beer).

It wasn’t the tourists’ fault they were in the wrong place at the wrong time—they’d just chosen the worst weekend to visit. No one really knew when the sea spider would strike—rumor had it he took very long sleeps and when he awoke felt a certain grumbling in the belly. 

“We need to do something about the sea spider,” the town of Flee declared. “Or we’ll be next.”

Many meetings followed. Speeches were given. Some more rousing than others—like the antiques dealer from Green Street, who managed to lull even the colicky baby into the deepest of slumbers. Others—like the brewer of Scram Brewery and Blood Sausage—got everyone up and yelling and talking over one another all at once. 

It was only many hours and days of golden ales and nutty stouts and fruity shandys later that the town came to an (almost) unanimous decision: someone should kill the sea spider. 

The only problem was, no one could figure out who that someone was, exactly. 

Thus was born the Choosing of the Stones—which is really just a more distinguished name for the Unlucky Lottery. Here the able-bodied and unwed men and women were to plunge their hand in a barrel of stones (blindfolded, of course) and select a stone of their choosing. Now there was only one red stone out of all black, and old George the drunk was the unlucky picker of said red stone. 

Naturally, he chose that very moment to suffer heart failure and collapse dead in the town square so that the entire stone picking business had to be re-done. This became quite tedious, as cheaters abounded. Most had magically procured black stones of their own—wedged in a fist or tucked up a sleeve. After everyone had picked a stone for the second round, the red stone somehow remained at the bottom of the barrel.

By the time the third Picking of the Stones was underway, night had fallen and this made organizing more complicated. A third of the people in line slipped off down a dark alley or into a bush and were never seen again.

There were simply not enough lanterns to go around and not enough guards to maintain the order of things. Besides, the guards didn’t really want to chase after anybody because what would happen once they caught them? It was becoming rather uncomfortable for everyone and soon talk of bed were circulating and someone very reasonably suggested that the day had been long and wouldn’t everyone be a lot more fresh-faced come morning (after a breakfast brew)? 

You might be starting to gather what sort of town this is. How can so many cowards exist in one place? There are one thousand and forty-six.

The town of Flee was in fact founded by cowards. In the Great Battle of the Desert Snakes of 1746, a small cluster of soldiers quietly slipped off before the fighting and snake-slaying had begun. They traveled many miles until they found a nice little spot overlooking the sea where they could settle, brew beer and drink it shamelessly for the rest of their days. 

And so it was as the town of cowardly Flee residents started to disperse that a boy came forward (hardly as tall as a horse’s knee and just as bony) to announce in a surprisingly loud and strong voice that he would like to volunteer to kill the sea spider.

The townspeople of Flee responded to this announcement with utter silence. Probably because a third of them had never heard the word ‘volunteer’ ever used before. Whispers spread. Someone fetched a dictionary. 

The apothecarist patted the boy’s head—which was an astonishing tuft of blue—and asked him what his name was and who his mother and father were?

“I lost my name,” the boy replied. “As well as my mother and father. And now I would very much like to get on to the business of the sea spider because it is getting late and nearly past my bedtime.”

“But who is this boy?” the tailor pressed. “And where did he come from?”

“I come from the town of Cobble,” the blue haired boy answered. 

To which the town of Flee nodded collectively. “Makes sense.”

And so it was decided that the boy should go as there were no other objections. And, they added, he did sound rather eager. Who were they to stand in his way?

The blue haired boy was supplied with all the tools that could be used as weapons. The butcher supplied his best cleaver. The church sweeper offered his rake. The baker gave her favorite rolling pin. The blacksmith forged a custom suit of armor, complete with a helmet and chainmail.

And when it was time, the town walked the blue haired boy down the edge of the cliff and bade him good luck, as good luck as one needed for killing sea spiders, and watched as he climbed down the rugged path to the seven caves where it was said the sea spider took up residence. 

The blue haired boy did not wish to offend anyone, so as soon as he was out of sight and quite alone, he left behind the suit of armor and the wheelbarrow of weapons and kept only the transcriber’s penknife. 

He thought of his dead mother and father and sisters as he picked his way down into the caves that were steep and jagged and slick with salt spray. The cave was wet and cold. The ocean raged against the rocks. The last of the sunset trickled across his feet in the water.

It was too quiet and he wondered if the spider has gone back to sleep. Maybe he wasn’t here at all. Maybe—

“Where are you?” the blue haired boy cried out before he could change his mind. “Come out and meet me!”

Who’s there? replied not a voice but a song. Who would dare?

The boy whirled around but there was no one with him in the small cave. No one and nothing at all.

“I seek the sea spider who destroyed my town,” the boy said. “I seek the sea spider who killed my mother and father and sisters. Tell me where can I find him?”

The song chuckled. I am she and she is me. We are one and the same but have no name. We roam from house to home, still we are unknown.

“But I saw you,” demanded the boy, turning around still. “You were a spider as big as—”

Sometimes we are a spider, sometimes we are not, sometimes we are seen, sometimes forgot.

The boy was finding this all very mind-muddling and it didn’t help that the night was looking darker and murkier. “Why don’t you show yourself then?”

Why don’t you tell me what you would like to see? I can be what you wish me to be.

“I don’t know what you mean.”

Here the cloud turned into a gust of wind so strong the boy was knocked backward. 

Once I was a storm, blowing cold and warm. I blew ships under the sea, I blew homes to debris.

Then the song became a burst of flame.

Then I was fire, hot and bright, burning all day and night. I burned through forest and land, burning till there was nothing but sand.

The boy felt his hair singe. The song turned into a grey cloud, swirling in the cave. 

Once I was a disease, drifting on a sneeze. When they saw me they cried and hid inside.

But the cloud soon morphed into something else entirely—an ancient woman stooped and withered on a cane.

Then I was old and poor, alone forevermore. Children scorned me, the living mourned me.

The old woman regarded the boy, her eyes sagging with lines of unbearable sorrow. 

Everywhere I go, I cheat, I steal, I take. 

I eat, I tear, I break.

I ruin, I rip, I raid.

This is what I am, this is how I was made.

I have been there and I have been here;

Some call me The Future, others know me as Fear.

The boy took a small step forward. The knife was tight in his fist. The old woman did not flinch.

I see in your heart what is true. Do what you came here to do.

The boy shook his head. “I’ve never killed anybody before.”

The old woman gave him a sad smile. She reminded him of his grandmother. The boy squeezed his eyes shut. No--she was not anyone he loved or knew. She was a monster. He tried to remember her as he had seen her, as the giant sea spider as it crashed through his town and demolished houses and balconies and streets and swallowed his neighbors, his family, his friends, even his donkey. 

She was human now, perhaps, but soon she would be a spider again—a fire, a storm, a plague—or something else, anything else and worse, and she would never leave them in peace. 

There was only one thing left to do.

When he opened his eyes, the old woman was gone. The knife in his hand was wet with blood. 

The blue haired boy walked out of the cave. The sky was bright with morning sun. The town was waiting for him at the top of the cliff path, waiting to cheer him as their hero.

But from somewhere afar, moving across the sea, he swore he could still hear a song.

Or was it a memory of a song now gone? 

He cleaned the knife and walked on.

March 04, 2022 17:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Michał Przywara
21:41 Dec 02, 2022

Killer opening sentence. This is an adventure that starts on a silly note in a silly town, and then dives deeper into what fear, and facing it, might mean. What has the boy accomplished? You cannot really kill fear, nor kill the future. If these are monsters, they live in our minds. But he comes back a success, which brings peace of mind to the people of Flee - and it sounds like, for at least a century or so. So do people need a hero to lead them into the future, then? Someone who shows us the way and gives us steps to follow? Maybe. We...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Skyler Svenrose
13:19 Mar 17, 2022

This was just *Chefs kiss* Your imagination is amazing. Not to mention your writing which I am in awe of, and the way you wrote the voice of the sea creature and incorporated poetry. It all gave me very fairytale vibes.

Reply

Theresa Anna
14:43 Mar 18, 2022

Thanks so much, glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Xavier Gladney
14:23 Feb 17, 2023

trashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb bitchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Olive Silirus
17:59 Feb 04, 2024

I absolutely loved this story. I'm sick today and can't really do anything but sit around in my room, and this story really cheered me up. It's so nice to find a story that is playful, magical, and meaningful, all at the same time. I loved this line: Probably because a third of them had never heard the word ‘volunteer’ ever used before. Whispers spread. Someone fetched a dictionary. Made me laugh. Please keep writing. The world could use more writers like you, and Reedsy could, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aillyna English
14:42 Oct 05, 2023

Awsome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aillyna English
15:14 Oct 03, 2023

who was the protagonist and the antagonist?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abigail Maese
23:38 Aug 29, 2022

it is a good story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abigail Maese
23:36 Aug 29, 2022

it is cool

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philipe Nicolini
13:02 May 07, 2022

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Walsh
01:26 Mar 12, 2022

Fantastically original sentence by sentence!

Reply

Theresa Anna
17:13 Mar 12, 2022

High praise thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
21:17 Mar 11, 2022

Hi Theresa! Congratulations on getting shortlisted. It was well deserved. I loved this story from the very first line! It was such an adventure to go on and it’s certainly one that I could imagine as a TV show. Your characters were incredibly rich and I love how you chose to include the twist at the end. I agree with Kevin that I enjoyed the poetry. Nice job on this piece! I recently submitted my story, “Coffee” and I’d love your feedback because I changed up my style a bit. Thank you for creating this world; I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reply

Theresa Anna
21:31 Mar 11, 2022

Thanks for reading! I’ll check out yours too for sure !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:17 Mar 11, 2022

Your style makes for such an enjoyable read. I just finished this and immediately started thinking about parts I loved. Well done.

Reply

Theresa Anna
17:19 Mar 11, 2022

Thanks so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
01:55 Mar 10, 2022

I like the poems!

Reply

Theresa Anna
15:18 Mar 10, 2022

Thanks! Totally experimenting with that lol!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
05:25 Jan 17, 2023

I still remember this after a few months. Hope you come back soon

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Ortega
04:42 Jan 03, 2023

Talented writers depend on their writing skills to get likes; untalented writers depend on half-naked profile pictures to get likes.

Reply

Alicia Moore
20:14 Jan 04, 2023

Who hurt you?

Reply

Tom Ortega
22:56 Jan 04, 2023

Beatrice M Jones in first grade. She told me I'm a chuckle head who's all hats and no cattle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Xavier Gladney
14:23 Feb 17, 2023

u fat ass bitch i hope you and your whole family die 😄😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Xavier Gladney
14:16 Feb 17, 2023

this book is so fucking ass delete it right now its bad you look like a fat ass grandma stupid dumb ass bitch ass hoe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.