New Year's Eve Annual Streaking Race

Submitted into Contest #178 in response to: Write a story about an unconventional holiday tradition.... view prompt

40 comments

Funny Fiction Friendship

TW: Strong language, allusions to sex, and nudity.


Kissing Jamie’s knuckles, Willy said, “You do not have to do this.”


Her smile begged his lips to linger. “If I knew what this was, it would be a lot easier to say no to,” she flirted.


Willy chuckled. Keeping a hold on her hand, he cupped her cheek in his other, stroking his thumb over her freckles. “Ah, ah, now, that, I cannot reveal,” he teased, pulling her in for a kiss. Their lips moved slowly, but Jamie could feel the passion building, their tongues growing more inquisitive with each touch. She wouldn’t have hesitated to do it in the car again, but a car door slamming beside them jolted the couple apart.


“Shit!” Jamie yelped, clutching her hand to her chest.


Two hands banged against Jamie’s window, and in between them was the tongue of a young man in a black beanie. He wiggled it across the glass in a mock-make-out manner and moaned overzealously before pushing himself off and walking away from the car, laughing hysterically.


“And that would be Charlie,” Willy said, his lips pulling into a tight-lined smile, suppressing a chuckle.


Jamie didn’t suppress hers. “Ah, and he’s the one who still lives with his parents, right?”


“Yes, but technically they live with him. He’s very adamant about that.”


Nodding, Jamie looked out at the glistening white pasture beyond their windshield. The headlights of the car were still on, illuminating the snow-covered field before them. There was a single bare oak tree on the far end of the pasture. “And who’s with him?”


“Oh, that’s his brother, Marcus.”


“And he’s the engineer?”


Willy nodded. “Yup. The O’Leary’s pride and joy. If only they knew what he was out here doing…”


Before Jamie could ask again exactly what they were doing out here in the freezing cold night of the last day of the year, another car pulled up on Willy’s side. “That’s the rest of them. You ready?”


Jamie gulped nervously, but smiled widely. “I think so.”


Squeezing her hand, Willy said, “They’re gonna love you. Especially Charlie,” he winked, playfully.


When the couple opened their car doors, Jamie immediately wanted to retreat back behind them. The sudden bite of the frosty air made her remember why she’d dedicated so much of her winter evenings to Netflix and other crafts. Her breath was a thick cloud spouting out of her mouth like a record-breaking bubblegum bubble. She wanted to suck it back inside of her to savor any and all of the warmth she had left.


Then, Willy’s arm curled around her waist, pulling her into the side of his puffy Patagonia jacket where his solid and chiseled frame could still be felt beneath it. Giving up Netflix instantly felt worth it again. Leaving the car where they’d only just a few hours ago found a way to fend off the cold without the Patagonia jacket…. not so much.


“Hey, guys!” Willy bellowed, as they approached the circle of his five best friends. “I have someone I want you to meet.” If there was any warmth left in her face, it was all in Jamie’s cheeks when Willy said, “This, is Jamie.” And everyone looked directly at her.


Her body as tense as an icicle, and not just because of the freezing temperatures, Jamie managed to bring her palm up. “Hi,” she offered, shyly.


Willy continued introductions: “This is Aimee, Jules, and her boyfriend Alec, and…you’ve already met Charlie,” Willy said, glaring at him facetiously, “…and his brother, Marcus.”


Marcus extended his free hand formally, his other hand holding a 12-pack of Coors Light under his arm. “Nice to finally meet you, Jamie. Willy talks about you non-stop.”


“Ch-yeaaa, he’s definitely into you!” Charlie busted into a fit of idiotic laughter at his own joke. The boys couldn’t suppress their smirks, but Marcus nudged him, and Willy told him to shut the hell up.


Alec seconded it, “Yeah, man, shut the hell up, stupid!”


The girls rolled their eyes. Aimee smiled kindly, but silently at Jamie; Jules reached out and rubbed Jamie’s shoulder comfortingly. “He really does talk about you a lot, Jamie. We’re so happy to finally meet you.”


Willy pulled Jamie into him and kissed the side of her face, whispering, “I told you.”


“I don’t know, though, if he really did like you, I’m not sure he would bring you here for this,” Alec mused.


The friends all erupted into collective laughter, the way old friends do when they reminiscence on their years together.


“OK, someone has got to tell me what we are doing here,” Jamie pleaded, eagerly.


All of them looked at her, grinning. There was a brief moment of silent staring as they waited for someone to gallantly volunteer their secret, but, of course, Charlie broke first. Sliding his tongue across his lips, he began unzipping his jacket. “Fuck it, why don’t we just show her?” He wriggled his arms out of his sleeves and tossed his jacket onto the snow in the center of their circle. Then, he pulled off his beanie, again tossing it into the center, and started working his pants off, his hand tugging on his belt.


Jamie’s eyes widened. “Woah, what—”


“Come on, guys, let’s do this, I don’t wanna be freezing my ass off any longer –"


Marcus slapped his hand onto Charlie’s chest, stopping him before he could remove his pants entirely. “Yo, bro, hold up—”


“Geezus, Charlie!” Willy added to the growing groans of his friends who seemed obviously accustomed to Charlie’s obnoxious behavior.


“I am so not having an orgy!” Jamie exclaimed.


This time, everyone howled so loud it echoed, their mouths hanging open in pleasant disbelief and their eyes frozen on Jamie.


“What, babe? No! Oh my god,” Willy said through his chortling. “We are so not having an orgy”


“Yeah, Charlie wishes,” Jules guffawed.


A little embarrassed by her assumption, Jamie demanded, “Well, then, why the hell is Charlie taking all his clothes off? And why the hell are we all out here in the freezing cold!”


“We have a bit of a tradition…” Aimee answered, meekly.


“And it is definitely not an orgy,” Alec confirmed.


“It could be!”


“Shut up, Charlie!” Everyone said in unison. He lifted his hands up in surrender, shrugging.


Amused by their banter, Jamie chuckled, “A tradition? Like a New Year’s Eve thing?” They nodded. “Alright, OK, so what’s the tradition?”


Willy smiled flatly like a child caught in a mischievous act. He stepped over to Marcus, pulled open the Coors Light box, and removed a can. Then, he handed the can to Jamie and explained. “Every year, the six of us come to this field, drink a couple of beers, and then we have a little race.”


Jamie looked down at the innocent beer in her hands. “Um, OK… That’s it?” When he didn’t answer right away, she looked back up to find Willy’s eyes were locked on her, his innocent smile still intact.


“We do it naked,” Charlie added nonchalantly.


“That part,” Jules chimed.


Stunned, Jamie laughed the uncomfortable laugh of disbelief, like when someone tells you such horrible news that your body involuntarily releases what sounds like a laugh but is actually shock. “What?”


Charming up his smile with more cheesy innocence, Willy said, “Please don’t hate me.”


“You’re all going to get naked, in the snow, and race?” Jamie clarified.


Jules, Aimee, Alec, Marcus, and Charlie all nodded and shrugged casually at each other, as if to say, Pretty much. Willy stepped towards her and gently folded his hands around her wrists. “But like I said, you do not have to do this.”


Jamie’s first thought was, Damn straight, I don’t! But when she looked back into Willy’s eyes, she saw the slightest hint of hopefulness dangling behind his genuine but hollow words, the tiniest plea that wished for the possibility that she might actually say yes; that she might actually be the girl who was both a passionate lover and an adventurous wild card; that she might actually be the girl of his dreams, the way Willy was certainly panning out to be the boy of hers… She thought to herself, Cue the Taylor Swift music!


Then, sighing a surrender, Jamie squeezed her eyes shut and squeaked, “OK!”


“OK?!” She heard Willy’s excitement and the delighted gasps of everyone else.


“OK, I’ll do it. I’ll do it,” she confirmed. Willy sprang forward and wrapped her in a hug. Aimee and Jules jumped up and down, clearly eager to have a new female addition for this year’s tradition, while the guys hi-fived and slapped Willy on the back in a football jock’s victorious clap, “All right!” Despite the clear understanding that they were just playing around, all the girls rolled their eyes at their boyish infatuation with seeing yet another female’s bare body.


Ignoring his male companions, Willy cupped Jamie’s faced between his hands and pressed his nose into hers. “Are you sure?”


Placing her hands on top of his, Jamie kissed him. And despite her growing concern about how cold she was going to be without clothes on in the icy air, she said, “Yes.”


“Let’s do this!” Charlie yelled, jubilantly.


Marcus handed everyone their own beer. “Since we have a new player tonight, I think it’s best to remind everyone of the rules. Charlie! There will be no groin-tapping at the start line.” Charlie tilted his beer towards him, as if to say, Aye, Aye. “When I yell ‘Go!’ everyone must strip down to their birthday suit, chug one Coors Light beer – or approved substitute alcoholic beverage – and sprint down to that oak tree –” he pointed to the only one at the end of the field, “—then sprint all the way back to the starting mark. First one here is the winner of his year’s New Year’s Eve Annual Streaking Race.” Everyone nodded their understanding.


Once they were all lined up side-by-side at their staring line, a line Marcus drew in the snow with his foot, Jamie asked, “Isn’t anyone a little worried about, I don’t know, freezing to death?”


Next to her, Alec assured her matter-of-factly, “The beer helps.”


“Plus, Alec is our medic,” Jules offered.


“Oh, you’re a doctor?” It was news to Jamie.


“No, but he wanted to be one,” Jules beamed proudly, squeezing his shoulder.


“I almost made it into med school,” Alec added.


“Ah,” was all Jamie could muster, confused by how this qualified him to be their “medic,” but she was willing to go along with it. “And what about all of your guys’…you know?” She pointed a finger down towards Alec’s groin. He tilted his head, unsure of what she was asking. “Doesn’t it, you know...? Aren’t you worried about it, you know, shriveling up a bit?”


Jules exploded, “AH-HAAA!” She leaned forward to meet Jamie’s gaze. “Yes. They do. And they used to measure them after every race, but then, someone—” she pointed a finger towards Charlie, “—started to get a little self-conscious, so they stopped doing that.”


Aimee snickered quietly, and Jamie bit her lip to contain hers. Charlie scoffed, “Alright, alright, enough questions, already. Let’s do this thing. It’s my year!”


“Wait, wait, one more question!” Jamie rose her index finger. “And we absolutely have to undress before we drink the beer?”


“Yup,” Marcus answered.


“It motivates you to drink faster,” Charlie said.


“He’s right… for once.” Jules.


“Good luck, everyone!” Aimee.


On the other side of Jamie, Willy squeezed her hand. “You’re gonna do great, babe. Just have fun.”


“On your marks…get set… GO!”


In an instant, everybody was moving, quickly tearing at their clothes as if they were impassioned lovers just seeing each other for the first time in years. “Oh, oh!” Jamie yelped, surprised by their speediness. Their swiftness was motivating and thrilling, and it completely eradicated her fear of the cold. Around her, everyone was ooh-ing and ahh-ing, yelping and hollering, laughing and giggling, as their bare bodies met the crisp air and their feet touched the icy snow beneath them. She heard the pop of one, then two, beer cans opening, followed by continuous streams of gulping. With the advantage of having left one layer of clothing in Willy’s car earlier, Jamie’s was the third can to open; she began chugging like she’d been deprived of liquid for days.


Marcus was the first to take off. “AY-YI-YI-YI-YEEEEEE!”


“Shit!” Charlie said, crushing his can and tossing it aside before sprinting after his brother.


More cans were popping open, and Jamie could feel her can emptying. She tilted her head back, swallowed its remains, and took off running. The brisk air smacked across her chest, but her focus was so set on catching up to the others, she hardly noticed the sharp pain. She was moving with such speed that her body didn’t even register the sting of the cold, or the sinking of her feet in the ice with each stride. Involuntary laughter consumed her as she sprinted, and all her other senses drifted away. Jamie didn’t notice or care that there were naked strangers flailing around her; she wasn’t even sure where Willy or the others were in relation to her. She just sensed the bodies darting nearby, flying freely and wholly abandoned to the wind. Jamie finally understood why people paid money to experience things like cryotherapy and cold plunges: it was absolutely exhilarating; a numbness that left behind only dopamine and adrenaline. It was the most fun she had ever had.


When she’d made it back to the starting line, Jamie had no idea what her rank was, nor did she care. She just jumped up and down, hollering like a wolf in the moonlight and twirling around with her arms outstretched towards the sky like a kid in summer. She was so enthralled in her own personal victory that she didn’t hear the others approaching the finish.


“Damn, Jamie! Willy didn’t tell us you were a professional track star! What the hell was that?” Charlie said, his hands resting on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. Marcus ran up after him, went directly to his pile of clothes, and started dressing himself.


Jamie stopped twirling and looked at him quizzically. Just then, Willy wrapped his arms around her from behind and lifted her up. “Hell yes, babe! That was amazing!”


“What! What! What!” She asked amidst her jovial laughter, unbothered by her legs reflexively spreading in the air, exposing her ladiest of parts.


Putting her down, Willy exclaimed, “You did it! You won!”


Jamie wouldn’t have believed them, but soon the others were approaching her, their jackets clutched to their chests, congratulating her.


“Hell yeah, girl,” Jules said, sportively tapping her fist against her shoulder. Alec trudged behind her, respectfully averting his eyes and covering his groin. “The new girl does it, woohoo!”


“Congratulations!” Aimee squealed, pulling her in for a loose side-hug.


Marcus, now fully dressed, approached her and Willy, handing them both another Coors Light and a handful of clothes for each of them. “Congratulations, Jamie. We all had high hopes for you, and you didn’t disappoint.”


The shock and surprise of winning paused Jamie so much so that she almost forgot just how cold she was. Thanking everybody, she pulled on her clothes ravenously. “So, what is it that I win, exactly?”


“That beer in your hand,” laughed Charlie. The others chuckled lightheartedly.


“And,” continued Willy, “if you plan on sticking around this year, you’ll never have to buy your own beer when you’re with us. At least for this year.”


The words settled in Jamie’s ears, and another realization hit her: he was talking about their future, something they hadn't yet discussed. He was asking her to stay in his life and to take their relationship to another level; to join his group of friends, these whacky and crazy people who’d just run naked with a complete stranger…to be his. Her heart fluttered at its wishes coming true, and she was speechless. Despite more Taylor Swift ringing faintly in her ears, she could feel the silence of the others waiting for her reply around her.


Then, Charlie exclaimed, “It’s 11:59! Everyone, grab a beer!” All fully dressed, each one readily reached for their final beer out of the cardboard box. Alec and Jules huddled up together, Aimee comfortably third-wheeling at their side; Marcus and Charlie seemed to couple together, and Willy pulled Jamie into his side one more time. Beer cans popped open, and Marcus began the countdown.


“5…4…3…2…1! Midnight!”


Alec and Jules embraced in a kiss, and the others all clinked their cans together, cheering, “Happy New Year!” Willy and Jamie chugged a gulp of their beer, and then Willy caught her chin, holding it in place.


“So, what do you say?” He was obviously referring to the “sticking around” comment from a moment ago. His eyes searched hers, desperate and hopeful and pleading.


Playing coy, Jamie bit her lip, and looked around at his friends, potentially her friends now. She considered how different her life might be with these people in her life. They were hooting and hollering and laughing like wild teenagers. They were not the kind of people who stayed home on cold winter nights and watched Netflix, but they were the kind of people who were accepting and funny and loving and adventurous. And if the feeling she felt while flying naked across the pasture was any indication of what her life could be like…


Jamie laced her fingers around Willy’s neck, and pulled her lips up to his, just close enough to barely touch. Then, she kissed him deeply and whispered, “Happy New Year.”


December 29, 2022 16:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

Delbert Griffith
10:24 Jan 04, 2023

I really liked the contrasts in this story, Anne. The clothed and sexy atmosphere inside the car versus the unclothed and non-sexy atmosphere of the New Year's tradition for this group. Jamie the outsider versus Jamie the winner of the race and immediate acceptance into the group. Mature themes versus innocent fun. The contrasts make the story, IMO. Nicely written, Anne. This little vignette into the lives of six youngsters on NYE was a slice of adventure. I'll take a second helping, please. With a Coors Light...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:23 Jan 04, 2023

Hi Delbert! This is such a lovely comment, thank you! I am glad you caught all those contrasting themes :) This was probably one of the most fun I've had writing a piece, particularly with the dialogue. While I'll certainly enjoy a cold Coors light, I'm not one for being out in the cold if I can help if, so it was fun to live vicariously through Jamie. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:05 Jan 04, 2023

Oh Im cold just reading this! Great fun story. I liked the Romance aspect between Jamie and Willy - it 'warmed' up the story

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
06:19 Jan 04, 2023

Thanks Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
11:39 Jan 03, 2023

A really fun story! The temperature theme stuck out to me here, your descriptions of the cold snow, weather and beer made me feel very refreshed just from reading, and this was contrasted with the heat and of the new relationship between Willy and Jamie, as well as the warm bond of friendship between the group. You did it well enough to make me feel warm on a chilly winter day!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:35 Jan 03, 2023

Thank you, Edward! That is such a unique comment about the contrasting temperature. Things between Willy and Jamie are definitely heated, and I think that is what subconsciously made me think this was actually doable 😅 you do a lot of crazy things sometimes when you're in a new relationship and trying to impress someone new. I appreciate your feedback! Looking forward to your next story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
04:58 Jan 03, 2023

Love that your story takes us whooping and hollering into the New Year! I've witnessed many Finns taking the polar bear plunge with morbid fascinating -like watching people kissing in the train station- you want to watch and you don't want to watch. Without the water, this seems 'almost' doable. Although there are strong rites of passage vibes for Jamie with Willy's friends and for their relationship, you get the feeling that the real test is the one she is putting herself through.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
05:33 Jan 03, 2023

Hi Wally! My husband is very into ice cold plunging and I am more of a dip-my-toes-in kind of gal, so writing this definitely pushed myself more into his shoes than my own, but hey it was fun! This is absolutely a rites of passage story, but I'm glad you picked up on that last bit. Jamie is wanting to shake up her life a bit, get away from the boring homebody who binges Netflix all evening. I think she's wondering in Willy and his friends are her shot at doing that! Thanks for reading, I always appreciate your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
02:06 Jan 03, 2023

I had high hopes from the title alone, and I'm happy to report that this story did not disappoint. This was the most fun prompt of the five, I think, because it let the writer take a wacky/funny/WTF concept and run with it, and let me tell you, Mrs. Miles: You ran with this all the way from the oak tree back to the starting line. Lots of great things here. First, I appreciate the characters having distinct personalities and voices (not-so-fun fact: the more people you have in a story, the less easy that is to pull off, so this was a good ex...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
05:12 Jan 03, 2023

When I saw the beginning of this comment, I thought you were going to say you were disappointed! I was so relieved when I continued reading, whew! 😅 Thank you for these wonderfully kind words. You invest yourself in people's stories and feedback you offer, and I know it is highly appreciated. I'm glad things worked here. Definitely wasn't sure if I could pull off a big cast like this since it's my first time trying it, but I'm really pleased with the balance between each character. The dialogue was just so much fun to write, and I'm gla...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
21:59 Jan 02, 2023

What a glorious, freeing, youthful kind of fun this was to read. It's been a long time since I've thought about the kind of free-wheeling dares we met as young people, and the derring-do it took to take it on. In a kind of effortless way, Anne Marie, you took me to a place I'd long forgotten about. Without judgment or constraint - just to be alive and to belong to something that took a bit of courage and lots of beer to get to. Great job - I loved the placed you recreated here that I got to visit! Don't be surprised if I come back fo...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
05:29 Jan 03, 2023

Thank you Susan! "Free" was absolutely the word I was going for with this, and fun of course! I just wanted something that reminded us to do crazy things like this, even though I'd probably be the last person to do it as I HATE being cold 😂🥶 I'll happily drink my beer and watch! Thanks for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rama Shaar
07:10 Jan 02, 2023

This was a lovely story of young playfulness and new beginnings! Engaging and enjoyable 😉

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
07:59 Jan 02, 2023

Thank you, Rama! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
17:51 Jan 01, 2023

A fun story - though a little terrifying too, as I pictured those all-too-common balmy -40 C winter nights :) The tradition features prominently here, and of course it's about more than just the race, or free beer for a year. As she learns, by partaking in the tradition (with enthusiasm no less) she becomes a member of the group. With one act, the whole relationship has fundamentally changed, and suddenly there's a tangible future. Definitely important for partners and friends to get along :) Beyond that, the dialogue was fun, as others ha...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:42 Jan 02, 2023

🥶 I could never imagine being in weather that cold. I actually got a little cold just writing this. But I know there are some people out there daring enough to do something like this. I'm really glad the dialogue felt fun. I had so much fun with it. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, Michal!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raey Kubiak
14:22 Dec 31, 2022

Oh, you’re a doctor? No, but he wanted to be one! Hilarious 😁 for a minute in the beginning I thought it was going elsewhere but fortunately… We’ll done, very nice story.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:20 Dec 31, 2022

Thank you! I had fun with the dialogue. Maybe too much 🤣 Glad it went in a fortunate direction for you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kyle Bennett
14:06 Dec 31, 2022

A little bit sexy, very sweet and tender and hopeful, and a little bit of a coming of age story without being too heavy handed on any of it. And warm despite the bitter cold. Very nice.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:43 Jan 01, 2023

Thank you for such kind words, Kyle! I'm glad you found it all those things. I was definitely trying to keep this balanced and lighthearted. Happy New Year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
21:54 Dec 30, 2022

As soon as I read the trigger warnings I knew this was exactly the story I wanted, Friday evening, arse end of the year, sick kid at home and two glasses of wine in! And it didn't disappoint, but not because of the sexiness, this story isn't really about that at all; this is about the exhilaration of being young: new chances, life opening out and the promise not just of reckless love but a solid relationship and a supportive group of friends. The race was the perfect metaphor for the group but also for how life should be, for all of us, at...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:51 Jan 01, 2023

My dearest writerly twin! Thank you for such a wonderful comment, I just beamed when I read it, apart from the mention of your sick kiddo! ☹️ I am currently caring for my husband post-surgery - it's a minor one but he is still out for the count so my workload has been doubled! So I feel you! Though I did pull a bit of a John Flounder from your Emporium of Dreams, and selfishly stole some writing time to get a thought out of my brain! Oh right, the comment ! Yes, you got it, not about the sexiness but about new beginnings, fresh starts, the ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francois Kosie
03:36 Dec 30, 2022

Fun story, Anne Marie! It was an unusual tradition indeed, but quite believable, with great dialogue and pacing. I only kept thinking about Festivus for this prompt. It's great that you were able to make something like this out of it.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:49 Dec 30, 2022

Thanks, Francois. I definitely racked my brain to try to come up with something at least a little bit unique (I hope), but also fun and light to combat the stress of the holidays. Do you mean Festivus the secular holiday? That is actually something that never crossed my mind. If you submit a story, let me know so I can check it out!

Reply

Francois Kosie
21:51 Dec 30, 2022

It was featured on Seinfeld, but I see now that it actually predates that appearance. Also, I think I'll miss this week, but perhaps I'll take a look at the New Year's prompts. Oh yeah, also, early Happy New Year!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:20 Dec 31, 2022

I hope you find time to write this week! It's been hard to carve out time during these holidays but I've found it really satisfying. Happy New Year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
20:49 Dec 29, 2022

What a fun story! I like the sense of adventure, it definitely takes me back to my 20s when something like that would be something I might have done, before, you know, adult-this and career-that. :P Loved the concept, and you really moved it forward very well, not letting it linger too much. I liked that she never really answered, in the end, though I think her answer was implied. Nonetheless, I had to chuckle, because in my mind, after they kiss, she says "Whoa, hey, I might run naked with you people and catch some air time with my lady par...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:25 Dec 30, 2022

Hey Wendy, thanks for jumping on this story so fast! I'm glad you found this fun; I was smiling the whole way through it, kinda wishing I got to experience this myself. It does not snow where I live so I just had to imagine. I HATE being cold, but still this idea is thrilling. I did intend for Jamie's reply to be implied, but I love that you (and hopefully other readers, too) have their own interpretation on it. It is left open-ended, and with your perception of her response, I find myself wondering if Jamie isn't telling me something... 👀☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Betha Darling
21:30 Sep 04, 2023

What an exhilarating story! I could feel the cold as you described them running across the field. Again, great imagery and descriptive storytelling. I felt like I was right there with the characters as they ran across the field. Your storytelling skills are truly impressive, with such attention to detail. The only thing I had a little trouble with at first was figuring out where the story was taking place, but once I got into it, I was totally hooked! It was a very fun read and a fun adventure for the holidays!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
02:03 Sep 05, 2023

Thanks for reading and the lovely comments! There were a lot of characters to balance in this one so, yes, setting took a backseat. It was more for the fun and thrill of something as ridiculous as a group of friends streaking together, lol. Thank you SO much for taking the time with this. Glad you enjoyed the ride!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
16:27 Jan 07, 2023

Anne, I am in love with this love story! And that title! Oh my gosh! I saw it and knew I needed it in my life. This was such a beautiful way of capturing that hot and heavy exciting part of a relationship. And I loved the way you decided the contest winner! I would love to read a sequel-a year later reflecting on all that has changed. I sincerely hope all the same players remain. My favorite line was: It felt good to hug someone she loved. Nice job!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:38 Jan 08, 2023

Hey Amanda! Yay I'm so glad you liked this one. I was all smiles creating this dialogue. And I'm glad you picked up on the steamy new-relationship vibe. This group of friends might have to come back around for another story. We'll see. Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kenneth Kendall
04:58 Jan 07, 2023

This was so well done. I was somehow there watching the whole thing. It was like I was watching some kids after “Friday Night Lights.” My favorite part was Jamie’s willingness to step out of her comfort zone. Firstly, in the moment of truth, when asked to participate in something that no one could have foreseen. Then again, choosing a totally new way of spending her time with an active and spirited group as opposed to home alone where she felt safe and comfortable.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:36 Jan 08, 2023

Hey critique buddy! Thanks for checking this out and taking the time to leave a comment about what you enjoyed. It sure was a fun piece to write. Glad you enjoyed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:39 Jan 06, 2023

Hi, here from the critique circle! This was the best story to read to lift my spirits up going into January. It captured that youthful spirit of throwing all caution to the wind and getting smashed to kick off the new year. I could see this being a tradition for some sort of college frat party, especially with the group dynamic between all of the different characters (t’s impressive that you established so many personalities all in under 3k words). The whole concept of having a run in a buff was also a good way of displaying the intimacy bet...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
18:22 Jan 06, 2023

Hello critique buddy! Thank you for stopping by and investing some time in my story. This definitely had frat-boy vibes - I think Charlie is missing those days, for sure. I really appreciate your feedback regarding how overwritten some of this was. Someone else mentioned the overuse of adjectives and adverbs, and now when I go back and read it that's all I can see, lol. I always go into my stories thinking I will keep things concise, and then end up too close to the 3k mark. I have never written a cast this big, so I guess my intention was...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lindsay Flo
12:14 Jan 06, 2023

This reminds me of college life...boys pulling crazy stunts and dragging the girls along for the ride. The whole concept of introducing a new 'someone' into an established group. Jamie's nervousness stemming from wanting to be in the cozy, comfortable environment (Netflix and crafts) vs actually being in something new, slightly uncomfortable, but also exhilarating situation. It made me think, some New Years Eve down the line when they were all married with kids, they'd get together and reminisce about the days when they streaked naked and ho...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:43 Jan 06, 2023

Hey Lindsay, thanks for reading this silly thing. Yeah I definitely had some How I Met Your Mother vibes when I wrote it, like this was the first time they met Jamie and they all stayed friends forever after that. It was definitely a fun piece to get lost in. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
00:29 Jan 06, 2023

The imagery and action in this story is cinematic. The only thing I would've preferred had I been a participant in the New Year's Eve Annual Streaking Race is that the celebratory drink be Jack Daniels rather than Coors Light. Amusing tale of kids gone mildly wild.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
03:55 Jan 06, 2023

You make a valid point. Coors Light is basically like water, so the JD would certainly be more helpful. But I guess the Coors Light makes it all the more hilarious? At least I'm hoping so. But yes, in reality, much stronger drinks would definitely be needed. Thanks for taking the time with this :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.