A Kiss in the Void

Submitted into Contest #179 in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

41 comments

Adventure Mystery Science Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Detective Arthas Jacques reached for his pistol. Agent Belle Nguyen was dead and he’d just watched it, among a crowd of scoundrels.

Blood poured out of her heart onto the stage. She’d died for show, a demonstration. He would have revenge.

“Please. Everyone. Calm down,” said the host. Instead of being there in person the scientist behind Deus ex Sapiens was using a virtual presence device to hide his identity. The droid was a sparkling decedance that put even Arthas’ Spectrum droid to shame. “Though Miss Nguyen is quite dead for now, I can assure you she will be back with us momentarily. Hold your breath. Open your eyes, and ready your applause. Lazarus has nothing on this!” The pomp of the delivery was matched only by the flamboyance and glee. His voice told Arthas his family had been rich long before there were paper records to show who his ancestors had stolen the money from.

Against the voice of vengeance screaming at him from within, the detective kept his hand at rest on the tranquiliser gun at his hip.

Eyes turned from the stage to look at him. Some were angry that he was reaching for his gun. Others just reached for theirs in response.

Belle lay in a puddle of crimson. Her killer, Ezekiel Gamora, stood in his all white combat gear over the body. Blood dripped from the sword in his hand.

Belle’s hand twitched, fingers flickering. A collective intake of breath broke silence. Agent Nguyen’s head rolled.

Just shoot them, said the voice in Arthas’ head. Memories of his military service returned. Blood dripping down his face. A friend with guts loosening by his side. Waiting for death or backup.

“She’s alive!” The roar of the host roused the audience of killers to applause worthy of besotted fans as their idol hits the stage. “Behold a miracle worthy of the bible itself.” The performer for whom lives were props seemed in ecstasy.

Blinking and looking around, Belle lifted herself to her elbows. Living though she clearly was, Agent Nguyen was lost in a way none of the soldiers who watched her had ever known.

Get up. Come on. Get up, Belle. Arthas shouldered his way to the front of the crowd. Cutting through the mass of muscle and body armour was a matter of elbows for the detective. His droid, a Spectrum unit, swept man mountains aside casually.

Men used to commanding respect simply by showing their assault rifles were taken aback by the casual might of the black robot with Purple eyes. One eye flashed through other colours as the head turned to take in the crowd.

Agent Belle pushed to her feet with all eyes on her.

“How do you feel, darling? All better?” The host’s droid clapped a jovial hand on her shoulder. “You came back from the dead and these heathens don’t even have the decency to bow before you.” The virtual presence droid took Belle’s hand and raised it high. “Behold the power of Deus ex Sapiens. REBIRTH!!”

“You stabbed me, you bastard!” Ripping her hand from the droid Agent and pushed Ezekiel Gamora in the chest.

“Don’t take it personally. I kill a lot of people. You’re the first who came back though. Consider that an honour.”

Belle’s body language spoke of the wind up to an explosion of violence or swearing. Her nostrils flared. Two eyebrows tried to kiss each other at the center of Belle’s forehead. Her fists clenched.

Jumping into the moment again, the host’s droid stood himself between the killer and the killed to close the curtains.

“As you have all seen, short of losing your head, Deus ex Sapiens will be the end of injurious death. No more time lost to healing. Imagine it. Deus ex Sapiens is the future. This concludes the third demonstration of Deus ex Sapiens. Thank you very much for your attention. I hope I’ll see you all at the next demonstration. Until then, try not to kill each other. Tell your friends. Tell your enemies. Tell everyone.”

The hologram above the droid vanished. The host’s droid walked away without looking back. Belle was left on the stage with Ezekiel Gamora until the mercenary in all white waded into the crowd, still holding the dripping sword in his hand.

A human began pushing Arthas towards the door. He fought to remain at the front until there was space for Agent Nguyen to jump down. He held out his hand and felt the blood on her hand as she took it.

“He killed me,” she said. Red hands pulled at the slice in her top. Fabric rubbed away the mess until the new scar was visible. “I was dead.” Belle’s brown eyes glittered.

Arthas tightened the grip on her hand reassuringly. “You’re alright now. It’s over. You're safe.”

“I don’t think I’ll ever be safe again. I’ve got that stuff inside me. And he can turn it on and off whenever he likes. Do the others even realise that? I think you were right. It’s about control for him. We can’t let that man decide the course of this technology. Not him or anyone like him.” Keeping a hand over what had been a mortal wound, Agent Nguyen began walking.

“It’s not too late to kill everyone,” said Purple half jokingly in its Newcastle accent. Arthas shook his head. “Just giving you options.”

“That man, presuming it’s a man,” Detective Jacques pointed to where the host’s droid had gone, “he’ll make a mistake at some point. Maybe he has already. We just need to find it. Then hopefully we can shut all of this down.” Still holding her hand he smiled, wondering if she wanted him to let go.

“Can I get you anything?” He asked.

“A drink. A strong drink. Something flammable.” Holding her hands up to the light she said, “and somewhere to wash my hands. I don’t want to be covered in blood for another second.” Trying to wipe a tear away from her eye only painted it crimson. “Oh fuck, Arthas. I was dead. I died.”

Turning, the detective wrapped his arms around the spy and held her tight. “You’re going to be alright. I presume you lost friends in combat while you served with the military?”

“Of course. Why?” Her eyebrows narrowed.

“Because I’ve seen that look on people I fought with. I’ve worn that look. You feel like nothing will ever be normal again. Nothing will ever be right again. We’ve both seen it. We’ve both felt it. We both know it gets better with time.”

“And we both know that last one is a lie,” said Agent Nguyen, distracted as she called him out.

“Come on, let’s get you a shower.” He held her hand as they walked past the exorbitantly expensive security droids. “How much do you think one of those costs?” Arthas asked, to distract her.

“Two or three times what you paid for your spectrum unit. It’s worth more than my house, by the way.”

“The spectrum unit is priceless to me,” said the detective, smiling at his steely companion. “If I could buy a body for each of them,” he laughed, “then I’d be in more debt than most nations and there would be no space aboard the ship.”

The Spectrum unit flicked a purple eye on and off to simulate winking. “That’s alright sir, there’s plenty of room in here for all of us. And it means we’ve always got company.”

Medieval looking droids marched away down the corridors. Arthas’ eyes were glued to them, as was a tracking beacon on one who’d been guarding the door of the theater. It would activate after a week.

The only hotel with rooms free was a sleazy dive. The wall outside was plastered with posters advertising sex workers. Arthas doubted there would be any available with so many mercenaries aboard the station.

Water pattered on plastic in the room next door as Arthas frowned at complementary condoms in one bowl next to another of coffee and sugar sachets. He didn’t sit on the bed. Some spray and a black light would show that room for the sperm stained sty it was.

“I knew a lot of the mercs there,” said Blue, who had a Glasgow accent and handled scene documentation for Arthas as well as facial recognition. Sapphire eyes indicated he was dominating resources inside the droid. Flickers of amethyst showed that Purple was still active, keeping a close watch.

“You didn’t want a seat?” Agent Nguyen asked, hair wet from the shower. With the coat she’d bought Arthas over her bloody jumper, the stain looked more like a design.

“On that bed? Not a chance. You won’t either unless you’re looking to complete your sexually transmitted disease bingo card.” His disdainful blue eyes cast a scouring glance across the sheets.

“Is it that bad?”

“If these walls could talk, they’d be screaming.”

“Ever the optimist, Jacques.”

“I’ve arrested a lot of people in places like this. They tend to have interesting blood test results.”

“So would I, now. The MSA lab still doesn’t know what I have in me. I should never have volunteered.”

“You did what you could to help the investigation. MSA has access to first hand data on Deus ex Sapiens. It will be invaluable in working out who that guy is and how to stop him.”

“What have you worked out about him?” Belle asked, lacing up her boots.

“He’s rich, maybe not as rich as he pretends to be. Maybe more. The droids he used to represent himself alter his accent. His speech patterns suggest an old blood lifestyle. He could be putting that on. For all we know he’s a drug dealer who kidnapped the scientist responsible for Deus ex Sapiens. He could be a puppet for the group behind it all.”

“You think it’s a group?”

“With connections from Earth to Pluto? I would guess so. Working with Offworld Crime I deal with criminals who have territory. That might be a single station, a couple. It might be a shipping zone. I doubt whoever we’re after is behind all of them. Unless they’re the Moriarty of Space.”

Belle nodded. Arthas wondered if she was confirming his suspicions or if she was nodding her approval that he knew so little.

“I hope the MSA knows more than I do?” he asked, hopeing for a hint in her body language.

“Can we get out of here. Do you have clothes I could borrow?” She had her hand on her heart again, testing for a wound that had healed.

“Sure,” said the detective without thinking. His droid gave him a look with his head held tilted to say, what are you doing? Arthas sighed.

They passed mercenary bands in the hallways of the station. Wherever Ezekiel Gamora’s White Horsemen had gone, the detective was glad not to run into them.

The Morrigan had a crowd of station children admiring it through the hangar windows when Arthas and Belle approached.

“That your ship?” asked a boy at eye level with the detective’s knee.

“Who’s asking?” The detective had been caught out by children asking on behalf of criminals before.

“She’s beautiful. How much she cost?” The child’s accent was central London by way of New York.

“More than I can afford,” Arthas said honestly. He ruffled the boy’s hair and was given a reproachful look in return. Kids, he thought. Good thing I don’t have any.

“The robot yours?” asked the boy when he’d shrugged off Arthas’ hand in his hair.

“No. I belong to the droid.” Stifling a laugh the boy’s confusion, the detective let himself back into his ship.

“What is that smell?” Belle asked.

“Books.”

“They need washed,” said Agent Nguyen, wrinkling her nose.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you’re a heathen.”

“What’s so great about real books?”

“The feel of the pages in your hands, the weight. It’s the way knowledge was transmitted for hundreds of years. It has history. The books my sister brought were signed by the author. They’ve been dead for centuries but I have a connection to them more tangible than the ones and zeros of a digital copy.” He looked lovingly at his book shelf, locked away for safety.

Belle smiled, Arthas was unlike anyone she’d ever met. Martians tended to look forward with grim distaste for their Earthly ancestry. The endearing passion of his words was a welcome distraction from her mortal fear.

Arthas pulled a book from his locker. Flowers for Algernon she read on the cover. There was a picture of a mouse in a maze.

“Try reading this while we head back to Mars,” the detective handed head one of his treasures reverently to her. “Purple, take the Morrigan home. I’m done with Pluto.”

Purple saluted and took the ship away from the station at full speed.

Belle cradled Arthas’ book as if it was a newborn. Watching him sit down in his seat, she moved closer. Placing Flowers for Algernon gently on the next chair, she leaned down and kissed him.

“What was that for?” Arthas asked without protest.

“For being exactly what I need right now,” she said. Picking up the book, she reclined and began reading. The detective frowned for a moment, eyes on the spy who’d died. Shaking his head, he closed his eyes and lay back to sleep. Outside the windows, the endless midnight of space caressed the hull of the night black Morrigan.

January 05, 2023 09:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

J.C. Lovero
01:43 Jan 11, 2023

First, let me say that I love the title of this entry in the series. And to end it with an actual kiss... perfection! One of the things I particularly enjoyed here was the description of the sleazy hotel. I could see myself there with how you described it, paired with Arthas's thoughts (especially in a sci-fi story where setting can be its own character). Also love how I catch random pop culture references whenever I read your stories. The name Gamora caught my attention this time. Guardians of the Galaxy, anyone?

Reply

Graham Kinross
01:46 Jan 11, 2023

Yes, thanks for getting the geeky references. I needed someone too. I think if I hadn’t ended with a kiss some readers would have felt robbed.

Reply

J.C. Lovero
01:49 Jan 11, 2023

The romance writer in me appreciates it!

Reply

L M
07:50 Jan 11, 2023

Me too, more kissing is always good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
02:03 Jan 11, 2023

Definitely check out T Kingfisher. You’ll love those books I’m sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
14:07 Jan 09, 2023

Hi Graham, This one was a thriller to say the least. I know it’s part of a series and I have to say that I love that this one can stand independent of the others. I think having us jump into the action gives this story that power. I loved the way you created the dialogue on this one it led to one of my favorite lines: “If these walls could talk, they’d be screaming.” I loved it because I’ve heard/read/absorbed many variations on that “walls” saying, but this one felt unique. I also liked the description of the accent. Nice job on this one!

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:48 Jan 09, 2023

Thank you, Amanda.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olivia Rozanski
12:55 Jan 09, 2023

A satisfying end to your first story. You are honestly, a really good writer. One day, I hope to be able to write like you do. Right now, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. If you get the chance to read one of my stories, I would appreciate your feedback.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:47 Jan 09, 2023

I’ll have a look at your stories. Thanks for the comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
14:50 Jan 08, 2023

What a great continuation, Graham. There is just so much wit and snark and pithy observations here, and the story hangs together well. This series of yours is something special. Nicely done, Graham. Nicely done indeed.

Reply

Graham Kinross
18:42 Jan 08, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
14:50 Jan 08, 2023

What a great continuation, Graham. There is just so much wit and snark and pithy observations here, and the story hangs together well. This series of yours is something special. Nicely done, Graham. Nicely done indeed.

Reply

Graham Kinross
18:42 Jan 08, 2023

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
20:58 Jan 06, 2023

I enjoyed the story and the series in general. Relieved that Belle “came back from the dead.” It would have been crap if she hadn’t. You create such magic between those two, I look forward to seeing what happens next in this alternate reality.

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:24 Jan 06, 2023

Thank you. You can read the next one here; https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/tawzqi/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
13:49 Jan 05, 2023

I just love this series so much! Particularly not only the fantastic dark humor you sprinkle throughout ("It’s not too late to kill everyone,” ... “Just giving you options.”), but also the lengths you have gone to, to truly make it an alternate setting. For instance, "Offworld Crime [Division]". A lesser author would have just thrown in the name of some current detective division, like Gangs Task Force or whatever, but you made a whole new division. I really love that about your stories! Another great element about them: "She had her hand o...

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:37 Jan 06, 2023

Thank you. I managed to make those changes. I’m going home to my computer now, just landed in Tokyo so the next chapter will have the added bonus of paragraph indentation again. Dark humour is my happy place, Rick and Morty is a chief inspiration.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
22:45 Jan 17, 2023

I find myself wanting to hit the "thumbs up" on your stories even before I start to read them. After having read like a dozen of your contributions, it has become a formality. Belle returns from the dead. I expected as much at the end of the prior installment, and was not disappointed.

Reply

John Del Rio
23:27 Jan 17, 2023

Is there another chapter after "Escapee"? It seems that you could easily get up to a dozen or more in before the story ends, depending on how it unfolds.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:16 Jan 18, 2023

I’m still working on the next chapter in the story. It’s been more difficult to write than the previous ones.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
23:15 Jan 17, 2023

Thanks. Normally I don’t like resurrection in stories because it cheapens death. It’s a central theme of this series though.

Reply

John Del Rio
23:26 Jan 17, 2023

I agree with you, on the resurrection thing. I used it in my series -Special Ingredient- but it was a one in a million type thing.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:14 Jan 18, 2023

Too often it can work against the stakes in a story. A hard line to tread.

Reply

John Del Rio
03:36 Jan 18, 2023

The time I use it in my story, it is made clear that it can’t happen again. It’s not like Highlander, where they can keep coming back

Reply

Graham Kinross
03:54 Jan 18, 2023

That film franchise should never have been. I like the first film but the casting was crazy. Sean Connery as a Spaniard who for some reason uses a Japanese sword. A French actor playing a Scottish man. Almost as mad as the casting in Man From Uncle.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
15:39 Jan 18, 2023

It was on back in the mid 99's I believe

Reply

John Del Rio
15:39 Jan 18, 2023

Or 90's

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Mike Panasitti
00:11 Jan 13, 2023

Deus Ex Sapiens - is that "god from knowledge?" Great title for a sci-fi book. I'd run with it, if I were you. You have a handful of rather solid characters here. I think a little more world-building would be helpful (what is the geography on a habitable Mars and Pluto like? How did they become habitable?). Working on details like that might just make a novel worthy of laudatory reviews. In my opinion, your writing is definitely as good, or better, than anything that Philip K. Dick wrote. I think you're ready to broaden your horizon...

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:44 Jan 13, 2023

The Sapiens in Deus ex Sapiens was from Homo Sapiens, since that’s the origin of modern man, the evolution from Homo Erectus into Homo Sapiens. The term Deus ex Machina was from the pulley devices that lowered in actors playing the part of gods in ancient plays, gods from the machine. Deus ex Sapiens would be, as I meant it, god from humanity. The boast is that it will elevate us beyond our wildest dreams. Those are the boasts of the man trying to sell it to everyone, but of course he’s not telling them everything and he’s exaggerating, like...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
07:53 Jan 10, 2023

So it was a romance. And back from the dead, like Romeo and Juliet with a happy ending! Is flowersfor algenone any good?

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:05 Jan 10, 2023

It’s a very good book. Probably in my top ten although the more books I read the harder it is to choose favourites.

Reply

L M
07:42 Jan 11, 2023

I’ll have a look some time.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:14 Jan 24, 2023

Cool.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Geekly Weekly
01:34 Jun 22, 2023

I’m racing through these now…

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:10 Jun 22, 2023

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
04:03 Jan 07, 2023

Thank you for reading A Kiss in the Void. If you want to read the latest story you can use the link below. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/tawzqi/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aoi Yamato
01:32 Oct 05, 2023

a cute end in the dark series.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:43 Oct 05, 2023

Thank you Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
01:09 Oct 06, 2023

welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.