22 comments

Suspense Fiction Funny

The museum was quiet at night. So quiet, I bet I could fall asleep and never wake up. You didn’t have the bustling crowds of interested people standing in front of you, making you jump up and down to try and see one single painting. You didn’t have the kids that were on field trips making fun of the art or shooting spitballs at inappropriate times.

I strolled down the hallways of the museum as I mopped the white tile floors and dusted the statues and artwork, humming to myself and dancing around the maze of sculptures.

And then I suddenly bumped into someone. And not just any someone.

A thin woman stood before me with long jet black hair that was pulled back into such a tight bun, it looked like it hurt and there wasn’t a strand out of place. She was wearing a long, silk, emerald green dress that swish, swoosh-ed when she walked in her black heels.Β 

I immediately recognized Mrs. Stone, the strict woman who owned the museum.Β 

I gave myself an inside punch to the gut and slap to the face for dancing in these halls with her watching. I could get fired.

β€œMaya? I thought I hired you to work here.” She said in her English accent, clicking her tongue to the roof of her mouth. β€œNot dance in these pristine halls. Should I be concerned?”

β€œNo Miss. I’ll get back to cleaning.” I said, bowing before her.

β€œGood.” Was all she said before walking beside me and purposely bumping into me.

I sucked air through my teeth. That hurt.

β€œSuch weakness.” She mumbled.

SPLASH!

I heard something hit the ground and turned around to find Mrs. Stone had spilled her coffee on the marble floor I had just mopped. Purposely.

I looked up to her pale white face and it disgusted me as I saw a large grin on her face. β€œMissed a spot.” She said and turned around, her clicking footsteps descending down a different hall.

As I mopped the warm coffee off the ground I took the time to admire the paintings around me. One specifically caught my eyes.

It was meant to be abstract so no one knew what it was, but at the same time, it spoke so much to me.

Colors of red, blue, pink, yellow, gold, and green paint were splattered across the pristine white canvas. And in the middle was a big gray elephant sitting down on a patch of grass. It was magical and wonderful and happy. That’s what it made me feel too.

I looked back to the dirty floor and scrubbed off the last of the coffee with water, soap, and a sponge before placing all my cleaning supplies on my cart and taking off.

I looked back at the elephant and smiled.

But I noticed something that made me jerk my head around to look at it.

One second the elephant was sitting. The next, it was blowing its trunk and eating peanuts off the ground.

I gasped. β€œIt’s- wha-wha-wha?” I stuttered. β€œBut it was-no- that can’t be- but- oh my gosh.”

Clickity clackity noises echoed throughout the room and an all-too-familiar voice boomed. β€œMaya.” She called out my name. β€œWhy are you stuttering? It’s interrupting my late night stroll in the museum.”

My eyes opened wide at the fact she’d not believe me. I’d be sure to get fired. β€œOh, you know. All the reasons to stutter!”

She narrowed her eyes on me. β€œNo, Maya. Stop trying to play cute. Why. Were. You. Stuttering?!”

I bit my lip so hard it was either bleeding or it’d make a dent forever. β€œThat painting,” I said pointing behind me without turning around. β€œIt moved.”

β€œMaya, you’ve cleaned these rooms and halls for years! Don’t you know this painting by heart?” She asked, sounding disappointed.

She walked over to the painting I pointed at but I didn’t follow or turn my head to look at her. I was too anxious.

β€œIt’s name is β€˜Colorful Sitting Elephant’. Not the best name for a painting because it’s so obvious. Couldn’t they come up with something more creative?” She asked herself, forgetting I was in the room. β€œMaya, come look at this painting.” She demanded.

I turned around and walked toward Mrs. Stone with my head looking at my feet.

β€œChin up!” She snapped. β€œNow, what seems off?”

Nothing.

That’s what my brain told me when I looked up at the colorful painting. And it was right. The elephant was back to it’s sitting position.

β€œBut I swear! I swear that elephant was eating peanuts and goofing around with its trunk!”

β€œOh, Maya. I really should fire you, but you do the best work out of any of the other people I’ve hired to clean this museum. But any more funny business and count on me keeping a close eye on you. Very close.”

β€œYes ma’am.”

I got back to dusting and hummed a soft melody as I did it. I turned the corner and walked down β€œThe Hall of Fame” as Mrs. Stone put it. It was a hall dedicated to famous people who've done great things for our country. They each had a piece of art or a sculpture or statue dedicated to them.

As I walked past the statues and sculptures I dusted them.Β 

β€œACHOO!” Sneezed one of the sculptures.

I looked back and Jane Goodall’s statue was rubbing its nose with its hands. β€œYou really need to clean that duster, Dear.” She said, β€œMaking everything more dusty is what you’re doing. And you’re making all of us in here sneeze and getting us sick.”

My eyes opened wide. But I managed to squeak out, β€œDid a statue of Jane Goodall just talk to me?”

β€œYes, Dear. Is that really so surprising? This whole museum is alive.”

β€œWhat?” I kind of yelled it and it was too loud because I could hear Mrs. Stone coming down the hall.

β€œMaya! No. More. Funny. Business!!” She boomed at my face. She was towering over me like a basketball player and it made her even more scary looking. Her hunched back, her clenched teeth, and her mad looking eyebrows.

β€œYes ma’am.” I whispered afraid if I said it too loud, she’d fire me.

She walked off but I could tell she was close. So I made sure that when I talked to Jane, I whispered.

β€œWhat do you mean this whole museum is alive?” I asked her.

β€œI mean, everything in here has a spirit. Like a ghost maybe or a spirit.” She explained.

β€œYou make absolutely no sense.” I told her. β€œBut I get it I think.”

β€œWould you like me to show you how everything is alive?” She asked.

β€œNo, it would blow your cover and get me-”

β€œCALLING ALL ALIVE ART IN THE MUSEUM!!” She yelled before I could finish my sentence.

Suddenly, all the art around me started to talk. The objects inside of the painting started to move. The art with mouths started to talk.Β 

β€œMAYA!! You are fired!”

July 19, 2021 14:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Ramona Taylor
16:10 Aug 06, 2021

Very good description of Mrs. Stone. Said should not be capitalized after quote.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eddie Thawne
18:15 Jul 29, 2021

Amazing..pretty good story nice work!

Reply

Thanks, Eddie, for the vote of kindness! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:52 Aug 26, 2021

Good job

Reply

thanks!! -❀- 𝔹𝕖𝕝𝕝𝕒

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Fox
15:41 Aug 26, 2021

Pretty cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
15:36 Jul 27, 2021

It's a pretty good story, Bella! There needs to be a bit of work on the details but the rest is just great. Keep reading and writing more stories! P.S - I read your bio and I also agree, reedsy SHOULD provide a search bar.

Reply

Thank you so much, Keya!! I will add more detail and thanks again. I will definitely write and read more! Yes! Reedsy really should!

Reply

Keya J.
01:13 Jul 28, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
12:26 Jul 22, 2021

Nice. This story gave me the 'Night at the Museum' vibes from the start. Great way to put it. Here's the review: --> THE TITLE ~ It really revealed a lot of the story. It is good, but you can change it to 'The Museum' or 'The Cleaning Job' or something. But, it is good as it is also. --> THE CHARACTER NAMES ~ Nicely thought of. --> THE BEGINNING ~ Interesting, it made me think immediately of the movie franchise. --> THE PLOT ~ You could have added a little bit more 'surprise' when Maya gets to know that it was an 'alive' museum. --> THE E...

Reply

Hey! I love your ideas for a new title. I'll think about those. I can go back and add a little more surprise to make it better. Lol, the dreaded cliffhanger!! Also about the capitalizing the S in Said after dialogue, I'm not quite sure. I've learned to do it with a capitalized S, but I could be wrong too! We should ask people about it, and if I get an answer, I'll tell you!! Thanks, Dhwani!! :)

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:02 Jul 22, 2021

Yes. Yeah...I'll ask too! You're always welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
04:58 Jul 24, 2021

I got 2 new quizzes for ya'!

Reply

Dhwani Jain
12:03 Jul 24, 2021

It's in the bio...not a separate form, but, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Alex Sultan
20:25 Jul 21, 2021

This story was fun to read! I like your use of conflict with Mrs. Stone to keep the pace going, and your use of sentence breaks and italics adds a nice emphasis to the story.

Reply

Thanks, Alex! I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eric D.
23:11 Jul 20, 2021

This story is so charming !

Reply

thank you! that mean a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Winter Fox
00:37 Nov 30, 2021

Oh wow, Bella!! I was scrolling throughout past contests to try and get some inspiration so I could publish a story to my profile, when I came across this story! It is super interesting and humorous. Nice job, and i'll be back for more! Please tell me when you publish something new! Till next time, winter fox

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.