Kalerella a real Cinderella Story

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a fairy tale about an outsider trying to fit in.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Fantasy Bedtime

And there it was, a feeling as if there was no identity. No gender, no real weight, no form, but feelings.

I want to go tonight, mom, it could mean a chance to be discovered. OK, I am tired of hearing about this ball, really.

Come here I will get you ready. Kal's mom picks up a gentle cloth, soap, and water and hands it to Kal.

It's just you see the world so differently, I am afraid your feelings will be hurt by others.

Mom, these scarves look absolutely beautiful and these glass slippers, um a little redundant don't you think.

Don't shatter them keep them on, nobody will know even though your feet don't fit in them.

But aren't I made of...

Shhh, you are just like everyone else, that is if you want to be.

I am just a reflection of everyone else.

Kal, you must be very special, you are every color and every reflection. You are everyone and everything only better.

With the right light, you can glimmer like the sun...a little blush?

I will wear this pink scarf and it will reflect off of my complexion, ok. No make-up, I am one big reflection.

No smelly horses for you, I will drive you over, but you need to finish getting ready. What about this bag? It is translucent.

Mom, aren't I translucent enough?

You are whoever and whatever you want to be.

Mom, do you ever say anthing negative?

No, I am lucky to have you.

Come on, let’s you get there so you don’t miss it.

She is breathtaking a woman in the crowd yelled. And those scarves, pink and green!

No he is thoroughly dapper another bystander called out.

The prince was mezmorized, as Kal stood in the reflection of the sun.

I can barely look at her, she is the sun.

Kal smiled and slowly moved toward the prince. My name is Kal, short for Kalideoscope.

The prince could barely speak as Kal and he danced throughout the evening.

The glass slippers were so uncomfortable and Kal could barely bear to stand, never mind dance.

Kal felt the strong arms of the prince holding and lifting the glass slippers off the floor.

Ah, relief at last and then they were in the garden.

You smell just like flowers and you are the flowers.

I am, whispered Kal.

But who are you?, said the Prince.

I am everyone and no one, as my mom tells me.

You have lovely colors and shapes within you, geometricly formed so sharply.

Well, I do try to be edgy, considering.

The prince fogged up the ridges of Kal’s scope and said I must see you again.

My car will be waiting for me, I do have to leave at midnight.

But as all fairy tales must, this one has the chimes ringing loudly at midnight.

OK, I have to run, call me?

Just leave me your glass slipper, I will find you.

A strange one, Kal thought---um, ok.

Walking wobbly Kal decided it was time to dispense with the second shoe and put it in her backpack.

Mom it was incredible.  I danced with the prince and he said if I left my glass slippers he would find me. I thought it was weird, but did it.  I hope you are not mad.  After all, I did bring the other one back.

What did the prince say?

He said I am the sun, but I couldn’t help it, there was so much glare when I walked int the room.

Mom laughing, Kal, you are the sun, the moon and the stars.

Oh mom!

Literally, you are everything because you are made of crystals.

Crystals?  Mom, I thought I was made of glass? 

You know, Kal get me a glass of water the kids always tease me.  Kal let me put my make-up on I like to look at your arm.  

But, you are the reflection of the beauty of the world, if you choose to stand in it. If you reflect the ugliness, you will become ugly.

The Prince, saw the sun in my eyes and he thought, just like Juliet, I was the sun.

Kal, you are enchanted, when you were a baby, I found you in a basket  by my door.  I raised you as my own and you are just beautiful in my eyes.

Mom, thank you, sometimes I need a pat on the back.  

Well, not too hard of a pat, after all, I might break you.

Um, I pretty much think that that can’t happen, I am broken in some places anyway.

Oh Kal..someone  is at the door.

Do you think it might be the Prince?

Chances are, it is utilities, I forgot to pay our bill.

Mom!, said Kal reaching for the door knob and finding trouble turning it.

It’s the utility company here to collect the check or shut off the lights.

Great, here is my checkbook and thank you for coming out, I just forgot.

Kal glances down and sees a box from Zappos. Kal quickly opened up the box to find the dainty glass slipper.

If you are the owner of this shoe, please call the Prince at 999-5555

My shoe?

I thought he was supposed to ask for water and bring the shoe himself. Short cuts for everything these days.

Good thing he didn’t Kal, we don’t have electricity right now. Hopefully in about an hour though.

Mom, let me get the other one.

Kal tried on the shoe and snapped a selfie..he sent it off to the Prince.

As fairy tales go, a Prince drives up in a Tesla and comes closer to the cottage.  

Kal or we might call her Kalerella quickly lights some candles and gets some ashes on her face.

Kal, let me dust that off of you before the Prince gets the wrong idea.

Oh Mom, you take great care of me.

A knock at the door, a Prince holding a thermos and says, mind if I ask you for some filtered water?

Oh sure, I will get it for you, said Mom as she rushed to get the pitcher in the refrigerator.

Johnson, my driver, is waiting for us outside...if the shoe fits. Say you look a little different than before. 

It must be that we are in the dark, remember you said I was the sun.  But there is no sun here, only candlelight.

Ah yes, but the shoes, do they fit?  Here they slide in easily, I will show you.

Sliding on the shoes and lights up like the chrystal that makes Kal shine.

It is you my dear, would you lke to go the Kingdom and meet my mother and father?

Why yes, of course?

As Kal went outside and stood in the light, the Prince exclaimed, Kal you are the sun.

To be honest, sometimes I am the sun, othertimes the moon, but I am always Kal.  How about we go out on a date and we find out the important things that make us tick.

Tick?  Yes I love clocks.  Let’s go!

Mom, I will see you later on, it seems that it will be quite a day.

Text me when you are on the way home.

The door closed, the lights went on and mom blew out all the candles and smiled. My child, the sun, the moon and the stars is dating a Prince, all things are possible.

April 04, 2021 20:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

15:02 Apr 10, 2021

Very unique! I don't know how you came up with it! 🥛

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.