102 comments

Fantasy Drama Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

I remember the day like I remember what color the sky was. 

Blue. 

The sky used to be blue. It’s just a fact everybody knows: the sky used to be blue, before the Demons ruined it. Thanks a lot, Demons. We all know what it looked like, a pretty dome above our heads, sometimes streaked with white and gray, or dyed with storm clouds, back when they were a sign of rough weather and not the Angels charging the Below. 

Well, I’m getting ahead of myself. I don’t care about the flipping sky. The sky could crumble and it wouldn’t matter to me. What I’ve been trying to say is that I remember that day like I remember the sky. 

I remember the day my old life ended.

The day my whole world was burned away before my eyes.

The day I swore I would hunt down and kill every single Being that killed the ones I loved.

But the’s a long story. And I have to start at the beginning.

Back when I was an ordinary girl in the town of Treflew. 

***

It was an ordinary day, the women of the town out doing their shopping along the sandy cobblestone streets, shawls pulled over their wild hair, hoods of gold and red and orange and maroon around smooth, white, freckled faces, sapphire-blue eyes glimmering above wide, flat noses and painted lips. Small, sandy-haired children ran and played, too young for school, while the older boys, apprenticed to the butcher or the blacksmith or the shop-keeper, did their daily chores and winked at the pretty girls who dashed around, helping their households, high, black boots clacking on the ground. 

I, being only twelve at the time, was in school, a three-room wooden building, crisp and clean inside, nestled a little ways from the town. It was surrounded by trees, a little path leading to the town square, from which five different streets reached, creating a spiderweb-like design. It was a good town, and I loved my teacher, Elle Fyre. She was tall and blond, with shiny green eyes and a sweet voice, and she would explain things as many times as you needed. That morning, she was explaining Angels and Mortals, a subject we’d been questioning for ages. It was almost as big of a question as where babies came from. 

“Alright!” Miss Fyre said. “What can you tell me about Mortals? Luia! Can I call on you?”

Oh, I’m Luia, by the way. 

“Well, Mortals are what we are. Normal people. We’re born, we can die, and we get hurt a lot. We aren’t fully good or fully evil. We’re just people.”

“Very good.” I beamed, brushing a lock of brown hair out of my face. Next to me, short, scrawny Beth Leo rocked in her seat, a sign she had something on her mind. She sat to my left. 

“Beth! Can you tell me about Mortal powers?”

“Yes!” She squealed. “Mortals are not completely powerless, despite being weaker than Angels and Demons. Because we come from the Earth, and were formed from Earth by the Lord Angel, we can be equipped with powers of the Earth! These powers include releasing pulses of Earth strength, channeling its Core for extreme agility and balance, using meditation to channel the energy of the world around us, and—”

“Darla, could you speak up?” Miss Fyre asked. Darla, Lee, the shyest girl in class, mumbled “there’s Earth Shifting, which is using the Earth as a weapon and also to heal people…”

“Very good! You’d know that, because your family is Enabled, yes?”

“Yeah, Tom is a Corer, Ma’s a Handler, and Pa’s a Shifter.”

These unfamiliar words rung in my ears. Enabled folk were those blessed with a special control of Earth, but I’d only met a few, and they were usually traveling and fighting evil, or helping people. What was a Handler? Or a Corer? A Shifter?

“Now, let’s take a look at what these mean,” Miss Fyre said, tapping the blackboard. 

“Every Mortal has a Glyph, a symbol etched onto their skin, in the shape of a triangular mountain peak. You’ve all seen these labels before, on your friends or family, or on yourself. The darker the Glyph, the more likely you are to become Enabled. The closer to your heart, the stronger you will become, if you happen to be Enabled.”

I pressed my own Glyph, a dirty-brown triangle on my right cheek. It didn’t feel like a sign of future power. 

“Now, angels and Demons also have Glyphs, but theirs look very different.” Miss Fyre pointed to two symbol, white chalk stark against the board. “Angels bear this tiny pair of wings, to symbolize their goodness. And Demons—” she pointed to a circular ball of fire “—have this flame Glyph. Sometimes Angels and Demons walk among us, hiding their auras of light and pointed horns, but you’ll always be able to recognize them by their Glyphs. Angel Glyphs ar white, while Demons bear a reddish-orange.”

These symbols looked so pretty, compared to my dull brown triangle.

I raised my hand to ask a question. 

“Yess, Luia?”

I opened my mouth to speak.

And I heard the sound that started it all.

It wasn’t like you’d imagine it— it was loud enough to startle me, but it didn’t sound like the end of the world. It didn’t sound that scary.

“What was that?” Miss Fyre asked. Another sound rung out, louder, closer, and accompanied by a bright flash. 

We crowded around the window, looking for the source of the sound.

Then

Bang.

One minute, there was a tree a few feet from the school building. 

The next, there was a column of white fire, accompanied by a cracking sound.

“Students,” Miss Fyre said, face pale, “get under the trapdoor by my desk. Now.”

We obeyed her, an energy panic vibrating our bones. I felt my Glyph tingle. I remember thinking whatever’s going on, it isn’t— 

BOOM.

I didn’t even see the blast. All I know was that one minute, I was standing there, just fine, waiting for shaky Coryinne to descend the ladder and get into the room below the school.

The next, there was something— I didn’t even know what it was. I think I forgot it out of sheer shock. I’ll try to explain as best as possible:

I heard it before I saw it, somehow, because it was so bright I was blinded for a second. This loud rumble shook the entire building, and not just the building, it shook my very heart, inside my chest. It only lasted for a second but it felt like it lasted for days, and there were thousands of pops of light in my eyelids,. Like a firework, too bright to not burn through my eyelids.

Then, everything was quiet.

And there was a smoking crater where the wall had been.

Half the schoolroom was gone, the window, the wall, the trees all around, gone, blown apart to mere atoms, smoking gently.

It was like something out of a dream.

I remember throwing myself down the ladder, hitting the bottom, and another loud blast exploding across the terrain. 

I remember the world shaking, vibrating, destroying everything that it used to be.

Then,

peace.

Everything else was a blur. 

I remember crouching with all my classmates, waiting for Miss Frye to tell us to come up. Realizing she wasn’t coming. 

Slowly opening the trapdoor and creeping out into a world like a dream. 

A scattered land.

The place I’d been born in, the place I’f been raised in, transformed into a nearly-unrecognizable wasteland.

I stared in shock at the place where the roof and walls of my classroom used to be. Dazzling white flames still flickered along the edges of the floor, and only one wall and a few chairs remained. Everything else was blasted to dust or consumed by fire. I suppose the other girls were talking amongst themselves, maybe even crying, but it was like I’d gone deaf as the explosions tore around. I realized the wall of trees was gone. Most of the forest had been uprooted or blown to shreds. Through the smoking stumps I could see the town square, its signature fountain shattered by an invisible force, deep, blooded fires burning in the pit where the butcher’s shop used to be, the shopkeeper’s roof flung into his neighbor’s house, a gigantic crater topping it all, pulverizing the cobblestones that I’d loved to play hopscotch on when I was young. Smoke rose from still-burning buildings, the fire shades of white and crimson. That was not normal fire. The buildings blown apart, the weird flames, the craters… Something had happened here. Something beyond Mortal. 

As I stepped through the place where the door would be, when the door wasn’t burned to a crisp, I saw something that made my blood run cold. 

Miss Fyre, perfect dress scorched, freckled face bleeding. I gasped and dropped to my knees. I felt like I might faint. Of course, I had assumed something and had happened, but not this. “Please-don’t-be-dead-please-don’t-be-dead” I chanted, pressing my hand to her chest.

It was cold.

Still.

I felt no heartbeat 

I leaned back, shocked. 

My hometown was destroyed. My senses were fading. And my beloved teacher was…gone. 

No. I wouldn’t accept it. She couldn’t be dead. 

But she was. 

My favorite teacher, gone forever. 

I let the grayness sink into my skin. I didn’t know if the other girls had seen her body yet—it was like they’d evaporated, and it was sheltered by a blown-over tree. I had been an ordinary girl. Now I was kneeling over the body of my teacher. 

Numbly, I got up and walked along the path to the town square. Babies cried. People ran back and forth with buckets of water, trying to douse the flames, and a few men tried to move rubble away form pushed bodies to see if they were still alive. It was a living nightmare, and I was barely even aware of it. When I reached the blasted-up fountain, I looked up.

At the smoke rising into the sky.

From my street.

My family.

I knew exactly how many steps it was from the fountain to my house. I don’t remember running, but I do remember counting each step.

Ten, eleven, twelve…

All around me—chaos. The ground below me—stained with ash. 

I kept running.

Twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two…

I slipped in a crater, but kept counting my paces. 

Thirty-eight, thirty-nine, forty…

I had reached two hundred and eight paces before I saw the barrier, a wooden blocker to keep people from running into the wreckage that was my street. “I have to—my family,” I choked out. Somewhere along the lines, I’d lost my voice. 

“You can’t come through,” the town sheriff, Mr. Lewson said. “It’s far too dangerous. We’re sending people in now to round up who they can. If they’re okay, you’ll know soon.”

I confess, this was the first time in my life I denied. Figure of authority.

“No.”

I ran.

I vaulted over the barrier—through the smoke—broken buildings—my street, my friends—destroyed, white fire glimmering among piles of rubble. People shouted out to me, but I was deaf. I tripped and fell, b ut kept on counting—hundreds of footsteps. Thousands.

Then.

Where our garden was: a crater. 

Where out house was: merely the frame, consumed by red fire. 

And on the ground, further from the ash, surrounded by sad-faces doctors,

Were the three people who raised me.

I think I died in that moment.

The old Luia was asides as those charred corpses, barely recognizable.

I fell to my knees but I didn’t feel the pain.

Someone came over to see if I was okay.

I wasn’t

The last bit of color drained from my body

And

Luia Everglean

Died.

I screamed, a painful, never-ending scream, the primal cry of a girl gone mad, of an unleashed goddess. Soot-streaked tears burned my cheeks. Everyone I loved was dead. And I was dead, too. From this scream, everything that was Luia was burned from my body. I pounded on the ground—everything, me, my friends, my family, my home,—gone. There was nothing left to live for.

Except—

On the ground lay another charred, twisted body, hair as red as blood, skin a shade of orangey-brown no human had. A bit of exposed flesh showed a familiar fireball shape. The Demon lay in a. Circle of white, angelic fire.

The Angels and Demons had destroyed my home.

Maybe I had something to live for now.

Revenge. 

As I rose to my feet, the cobblestones broke around me, spikes of stone reaching for the sky. My Glyph burned.

I’d been Enabled.

“You took everything from me,” I spat. “You filthy Demons, you stupid Angels. You made my home burn. And now, you’re going to burn.”

“Luia?” A man I knew asked. “Are you—“

I cut him off with a wave of my hand.

“Please,” I said.

“Call me Vengeance.”

November 20, 2021 21:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

102 comments

21:36 Nov 20, 2021

Okay, I tried to insert a picture, but it wasn't working. Next story, I'll get them in. Luia/Vengeance is my avatar! Soon, I'll include your angels and demons! There's still some room if you haven't filled out the form yet!

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
21:49 Nov 20, 2021

ooooooooooooooooooooooo wowwwwwwwwwwwww that's awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee love the details, even tho it's hard to picture in a way, but not... gosh, I love the stage that you've set for the plot!!!!

Reply

15:35 Nov 21, 2021

Thanks! Which parts were hard to understand? I had a bit of trouble describing their world at first, and the end is kinda wonky, with all the death

Reply

TJ Squared
16:36 Nov 21, 2021

Yeah, I guess I was saying that you did a good job describing their world, it was just a bit hard to picture like where everything was in the town. Yeah lol

Reply

20:27 Nov 22, 2021

It doesn't really matter, I guess, the town is destroyed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

WOOOOO SAW UR BIO AND I 10000000 PERCENT SUPPORT UUUUUUU

Reply

01:19 Jan 14, 2022

Aww, thanks! I was worried I'd get some mixed feedback, but everyone seems really supportive! I know you know Hamilton music, so I guess I could say my heart doesn't go boom, my heart goes "that person appears to be pleasing to look at, perhaps I may desire to speak to them, and perhaps if we find ourselves potential platonic romance candidates we may hold hands" So That was super long

Reply

ofcc em <3 or opal now lol EYSYEYSEYSAYGSISHUQSHOHUWEHIDODIIO *dies/j* also i recently fell in love with httyd so yay lol

Reply

12:41 Jan 14, 2022

Thanks :) Is it weird that I completely understood EYSYEYSEYSAYGSISHUQSHOHUWEHIDODIIO *dies/j*? Yeah it's really good, but right now I'm on a musical kick so I'm watching musicals and haven't seen it in ages

Reply

:D LMAOOO it just means dies/joking lol it is XD also same :0

Reply

19:40 Jan 14, 2022

Yeah

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:40 Jan 14, 2022

Noop

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rachel Rose
18:10 Jan 11, 2022

I'm so proud of you for coming out, Emerald! Stay happy. ❤ I know you're not a detective anymore, but, someone named "The Masked Writer" is creating alternative accounts -- giving themselves free likes, comments, and follows. Do you mind? ;) Their profile: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/the-masked-writer/

Reply

21:55 Jan 11, 2022

Oh, thanks! I was really worried that people would be angry at me for some reason, thanks for the positivity! I didn't know she was doing that, I thought she was just framed for that? I could look into it :)

Reply

Rachel Rose
07:12 Jan 12, 2022

Of-course. All her stories are full of people who follow only her, like only her work, and comment only on her stories. Suspicious? yeah. :)

Reply

19:04 Jan 12, 2022

She doesn't have any, she took them down... Hmm... So I don' really have any proof. But fi she posts a new one and it has 100 likes in the first minute and only comments by fake-looking accounts then she's definitely *sus*

Reply

Elliana Ramirez
06:11 Jan 13, 2022

She does. She had about 25 likes on one of her story with comments of people who follow, comment, and like only her work. I'm just worried. That's really suspicious.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elliana Ramirez
16:10 Jan 13, 2022

what do you mean "framed"? has she been accused of something like this before?!

Reply

01:17 Jan 14, 2022

There was a fake judge who was accusing people of having fake accounts when they didn't, I thought she was on the list

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
05:49 Dec 30, 2021

Your name has changed? again?

Reply

13:37 Dec 31, 2021

Yeah, sorry about that, I like trying new usernames but I only have, like, two social medias, and Pinterest is getting annoyed by my constant @mention changing.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
10:26 Jan 01, 2022

ROFL

Reply

01:44 Jan 02, 2022

I had to keep it peace love rainstorms so it didn't get upset

Reply

Dhwani Jain
04:03 Jan 02, 2022

😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
18:56 Dec 29, 2021

I filled out your form.

Reply

21:01 Dec 29, 2021

Thank you! The story is all filked up so I may have to save it for later

Reply

Creed .
16:34 Dec 30, 2021

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.

Reply

13:38 Dec 31, 2021

It's alright! This story wasn't really going anywhere, maybe the next one will work out better.

Reply

Creed .
21:10 Dec 31, 2021

I guess we'll find out! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
16:28 Dec 11, 2021

I love the plotline and the detail that you have put it. It is awesome. Could you please read my latest story if possible? :)) Thanks :))

Reply

15:34 Dec 16, 2021

Ok!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
06:59 Dec 10, 2021

You need help with the REEDSYVERSE?I am here to help. Dhwani Jain {A little self promotion never hurt no one} ~ I write basically any story that comes to my mind, but I'll call myself a 'comfort story writer'. And one more thing, I AM THE DISNEY QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!! Wolf Warrior ~ She writes really nice, non-fiction-ish stories which are somewhere inspired by her own life Her fantasy genre is also very strong. Philia ~ She's young and brings a new energy to Reedsy. She doesn't write much (sadly) but her stories are more towards the bright sid...

Reply

20:47 Dec 10, 2021

Yeah thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cooper Armstrong
19:28 Nov 29, 2021

Hey, are you a member of the Skribbles?

Reply

21:34 Nov 29, 2021

I don't think so, officially, but I've been invited to the document before.

Reply

Cooper Armstrong
22:57 Nov 29, 2021

Well would you like to be? I know everyone would love to have you.

Reply

21:01 Nov 30, 2021

Sure! Thanks!

Reply

Unknown User
23:41 Dec 04, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

22:02 Dec 05, 2021

Do you have a link?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Victor .
17:10 Nov 29, 2021

Hello, my name is Nightmare Phantom, but you can call me Night or Mare or any other name you see fit. I am reaching out on reedsy to find more friends and meet more amazing people. If you are interested in getting to know me more, feel free to respond, if not, that's completely fine. I may seem stiff and emotionless at first but I'm a great person once you get to know me, at least I'd hope I am. ~Nightmare Phantom

Reply

21:33 Nov 29, 2021

Hello! I left a comment on your communication story. I can't wait to see you write, I like horror and romance and stuff. :)

Reply

Victor .
22:34 Nov 29, 2021

Hello. And thank you, I do enjoy horror.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
11:44 Nov 21, 2021

Ooooooh I'm getting excited!! Can't wait to see the angels and demons come in, excellent work, Emerald! <3333

Reply

15:37 Nov 21, 2021

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah immmmmmm in shock maybe ill shove a cool name here hahahaahashidwieon G8 JOB EM<3

Reply

15:35 Nov 21, 2021

Thanks! Ws there too much death? Or not enough?

Reply

hahahha yknow me i love death but not to characters i love so IT WAS GOOD

Reply

20:28 Nov 22, 2021

WHOO! You didn't get enough time to love the teacher and you didn't even know the parent's names, so... Just enough death.

Reply

HAHAHAHA Yepppp dang now im mad at the demons even though I AM ONE AHHAAHAHAH OUO

Reply

18:34 Nov 23, 2021

It's alright, you didn't kill these guys

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
07:51 Jan 18, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

14:37 Jan 19, 2022

Thanks soo much! Nope. I haven't came out to anyone but a small community of online writers (us) and a few random pins on Pinterest. I'm terrified to tell my parents because they'd ask where I'd learned about it, and then I'd probably rat out my friends for educating me on all sorts of things, my parents would probably make me stop being friends with them, or they'd just be concerned and tell me I was too young, or it was a biproduct of my anxiety, or who knows? Though I do plan to come out to a few real-life friends soon, I challenged mys...

Reply

Unknown User
19:09 Jan 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
20:01 Nov 21, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

20:29 Nov 22, 2021

Thanks! I love my sassy lady characters. That's so cool... I remember that!

Reply

Unknown User
21:46 Nov 22, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

18:33 Nov 23, 2021

I like your Wicked profile picture

Reply

Unknown User
19:54 Nov 23, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

21:41 Nov 23, 2021

Awesome! I've never seen it, but when I was little my mom made me listen to the whole soundtrack a million times on a road trip, so it's kind of a part of my childhood.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:32 Nov 20, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

15:35 Nov 21, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Unknown User
16:13 Nov 21, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.