23 comments

Fantasy Fiction Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

It was the meal that would change everything in my life. I remember everything so very clearly, as if it were happening right this very minute. At the time, I thought it was saving my life, I needed sustenance so badly; I needed my thirst to be quenched like nothing I'd ever needed before in my life. Unfortunately, the meal was but a temporary and fleeting happiness, for the sadness and misery it bore lasts a lifetime.

I remember my brother seating me at a large, old table. The ornate decorations on it were beautiful, I'm sure, but I was too starved to pay attention to their stories. Another time, I told myself, I would allow my fingers to gloss over the wood and read - but right now, I'm just so hungry. I couldn't focus, my brain felt as is there had been a lone lightbulb left on for too long and that incessant buzzing that occurs with old electronics just wouldn't shut off. The buzzing in my ears grew louder with every shout from my brother. My vision had begun to dim, but my brother roughly grabbed my chin and was yelling at me. His words seemed to slice through the buzzing, telling me to "eat and you'll feel better". I looked to where my brother gestured and noticed a large vessel of meat on the table. It looked so appetizing and smelled like ambrosia, but something was wrong. Something was off and the more I thought about it, the clearer things came into focus. The meat was moving. My vision cleared, the buzzing in my head suddenly stopped and everything assaulted my senses.

"No!" I shouted with every ounce of my body, standing and thrusting my brother's hands away from my face. His eyes burned like fire at my defiance. "I cannot eat someone! I'd rather die!" I spat at my brother's feet. The lump of flesh on the table groaned in pain and for the first time, I allowed my eyes to focus on the intended meal. I cannot lie - he smelled amazing, like a freshly roasted rump right out of the oven that had been brined and roasted in its own juices for hours. I met his gaze, the confused eyes of an innocent person boring into me as I failed to banish thoughts of his own death in my head. Tears streamed down his dirty face as he whispered, pleaded and begged me to spare his life - he was my age. My brother growled as he grabbed my head with his hands and brought his face very close to mine.

"You will eat, brother, because if you don't, you and your meal will die," my brother hoarsely whispered into my face, his closeness intended to be taken as a potential threat. At this point, my brother was much stronger than I, as I was on my last legs and using the very last of my strength to resist him. He wrestled his arms around me and forced my head forward, into the fleshy neck of the person on the table. I fought against my brother as best as I could, but unfortunately it had the effect of a gnat buzzing against a dog. The man shrieked in abject horror and shrunk away from me as far as he could, what with being tied up on the table. He was crying and praying as he waited for death. His skin smelled even more wonderful up close, so I closed my eyes and my mouth as forcefully as I could, even as I bit my lip in anticipation. I rested there against his neck until my brother realized I wasn't eating. 

My brother grabbed a fistful of my hair and yanked my head back, causing me to yell out in shock. He pushed my head forward into the man's neck and two things happened. My teeth pierced flesh and I heard the man scream. At this point, I was too far gone. I had starved myself too long to fight anymore, and as his life poured into my mouth and bathed my tongue, I had no willpower left to fight. I gave in and allowed myself to drink, greedily and thirstily, soothing my conscience by reminding myself my brother was going to kill him anyways. At least, in this way, he can nourish me so that I may fight my brother again someday. I drank and drank until the man shriveled up, until he had no more life to give anyone in this world anymore. Every gulp I took was excruciatingly delicious and unbearably agonizing, it was absolute pleasure and horrifying pain. I'm certain it was undoubtedly worse for the poor man, but I am convinced it would have been more painful for him had I continued resisting. My brother has turned out to be quite a warlord since then, and he's most egregiously known for his creativity when it comes to death. The minutes dragged on as eons, my brother patting the back of my head while I feasted, babbling about how strong we would be together. "Bon appétit," my brother said, then laughed.

My first meal was akin to a man being lost in a desert for months and someone not only offering him fresh, cold water but telling him to drink it while he refuses. There is only so far he can tell himself no before he gives in. At least, that's what I knew of willpower before the meal that changed my life. Once you feed on a person, there is no going back. You're now forever a bloodsucker, a walker of the night, a child of Selene. I've fed many times since then, as is necessary to sustain myself, but never as much as I did that first meal. 

I did bury my first meal's leftovers in the yard afterwards. To this day, he still has a tombstone on my lawn. I go out occasionally to reminisce over my first meal, but I'm still trying to figure out if it's because I feel bad or because I enjoyed it. I think I'm starting to become my brother.

September 03, 2022 10:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Susan Catucci
15:31 Sep 15, 2022

Well crafted and fits the prompt beautifully - hard to imagine anything much more life-altering than joining the ranks of the undead. The internal resolve of the narrator ultimately being defeated by the weakness of the body has certainly been known to happen, and you describe the conflict artfully. (thumbs up)

Reply

Hannah Barton
15:42 Sep 15, 2022

Thank you so much for this! I have been struggling with writing internal conflict on another story because i was worried i wasn't understanding it enough to write it.

Reply

Susan Catucci
16:10 Sep 15, 2022

One of my favorite authors - going back awhile - is Anne Rice and her flare for the macabre and all things Vampire, Witch, Mummy and on and on. This reminded me of how I loved her ability to get deep inside all of these creatures.

Reply

Hannah Barton
19:05 Sep 15, 2022

Wow. I can't say Anne Rice is one of my favorite authors but she's high up on the list. It's definitely a compliment if my writing is reminiscent of hers, so thank you very much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
12:14 Sep 15, 2022

Interesting watching the character become accustomed to the violence and growing to like it. There are a few really solid vampire perspective stories coming out here now. Thank you for not including body glitter and a teen werewolf rivalry.

Reply

Hannah Barton
12:20 Sep 15, 2022

Oh my intentions are to completely stay away from glitter and teen love triangles. I would love to see vampires get back to the terrifying undead creatures they really are, honestly. Thank you.

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:58 Sep 15, 2022

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, yay or nay?

Reply

Hannah Barton
15:41 Sep 15, 2022

I think i tried one episode of it when i was a teenager. Never could get into it.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:06 Sep 15, 2022

It takes a few episodes. It’s pretty good though. I also like Supernatural a lot as well.

Reply

Hannah Barton
21:34 Sep 15, 2022

I've never been able to get into shows like Buffy or Charmed. Supernatural, though, i will ride and die for that show. Good choice.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:01 Sep 14, 2022

Very creative story. The horror of the victim was very well put, and I can understand the powerful feelings of hunger that the MC is experiencing. I love the ending, 'I think I'm starting to become my brother'. It leaves you hanging. Love it!

Reply

Hannah Barton
00:51 Sep 15, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:53 Sep 14, 2022

I really like the ending, especially considering the beginning. The horror of the helpless victim was palpable, as was the reluctance of the narrator, but hunger is a powerful force. Especially with a brother manipulating you. So the narrator was clearly revolted by this, but he grew to possibly even like it. That's a theme I like: when you're surrounded by the horrible on an everyday basis, it stops being horrible and becomes normal. "The lump of flesh on the table groaned in pain and for the first time" - this is an awesome horror line.

Reply

Hannah Barton
00:53 Sep 15, 2022

Well thank you! It seems we have similar tastes in writing, then. I will critique one of yours, i promise!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
00:44 Sep 12, 2022

Repercussions indeed! What a wild ride this was, Hannah. Such a short story, but you packed in so many left turns. Well played. The interesting thing about this one is that I'm not sure if I just read about vampires (hence the Fantasy tag), or if this was a story about a brother coercing his human sibling into cannibalism (hence the Thriller tag). I'm leaning toward vampire because of the use of "bloodsucker" at the end, but either way, what a chilling horror story. Immediately got us right up close and personal with this narrator and this ...

Reply

Hannah Barton
11:50 Sep 12, 2022

And you'll never know what they were supposed to be, mwahahaha! I'm kidding. It was written to be vampires, but I do like the "is it?" Factor as well, thanks for pointing that out. I wanted to make the characters relatable without making them humanized, so I left names out. My end goal in writing is to have a monster that a person can relate to in many levels.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jed Cope
09:26 Sep 11, 2022

Like it! Leaves you wanting to know more, which is always a good thing. Bad cop and good cop vampires, only you know the good one is probably not all that good and could in some ways be more bad than the obviously bad one... ...now I'm thinking of the dating scene - the obvious bad boys versus the guys that try to be good and hurt people as a result. So many possibilities!

Reply

Hannah Barton
09:46 Sep 11, 2022

Yes! I think the "pathway to hell is paved with good intentions" is a very underrated idea. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.