The Rite of Succession

Submitted into Contest #57 in response to: Write a story about someone breaking a long family tradition.... view prompt

3 comments

Fantasy Drama Funny

In an alternate reality, existed the Kingdom of Mara. It was more of a Queendom actually; with royal titles and lands being passed down mother to daughter. The current rulling family was the Denihah Clan.

They were a fierce group of warrior queens who came to power after the current monarch's 3rd great-grandmother, Queen Dinah the Strong, had united all the fifedoms into a more powerful Kingdom. Since this time, there had been the beautiful prosperous capital city of Helas built around Denihah Castle. The people were prosperous and their current monarch, Queen Irene Denihah, was much beloved by her subjects.

Queen Irene was celebrating the 35th year of her reign when she fell suddenly ill. Irene, after weeks of decline, knew that her time was almost over. She summoned her three daughters to her bedside.

Princess Undine was the eldest daughter. She was a proud and a perfectionist. Undine had always overachieved in the tutoring sessions the princesses were expected to complete. Their teacher, Ermintrude Schalara, had always beamed when Undine recited the Statutes of Mara. Which the princess did from memory, verbatim, at a moment's notice. This often annoyed her two younger sisters who found Undine insufferable. That didn't matter though since according to tradition the Queen's oldest daughter was Heir to the Throne. Meaning the other two, even after becoming Duchesses, still had to obey her.

That didn't bother the middle child, Princess Artemis, very much. As long as she still got to joust and do sword play after she was married, Artemis would be happy. Sure, she might have to take breaks to bear children, but as soon as she had recovered from giving birth she planned to go right back to her very athletic persuits. Let her husband and a wet nurse raise their child. Artemis would go fight for the glory and defense of her Homeland.

The youngest of Irene's daughters was Princess Nixia. Pale, timid, soft hearted Nixia. During tutoring lessons, she often doodled on her parchment and stared vacantly out the castle window. This led to many stern looks from Ermintrude and being prodded with their tutor's long pointing dowel. Artemis often teased her little sister when she found Nixia trying to gently help a wounded fawn. "You know he's just going to end up venison;" Artemis said. When Nixia protested "It's just a baby! Shh!" Artemis would call her "Nixy the Pixy" and taunt her till their nanny made the elder sister stop.

Now all three of them were adults and all very sad their mother was dying. Queen Irene looked up at her assembled progeny. "I love each of you;" she said in a voice that was muted by prolonged sickness. "Your father, if he were here, would tell you he is proud of the women you've become." Sobs and tears were stifled as the three princesses listened. "Traditionally, the eldest daughter becomes Queen two weeks after the old Queen's death;" Irene continued. "However, the gods have shown me a vision. I hereby decree that Nixia will inherit my title."

As soon as Irene had spoken these words, she closed her eyes and drew her last breath. Artemis looked sadly at her mother's remains and put a hand on Nixia's shoulder. "Good luck Nixy;" she said. "This was unexpected but if it is the gods' wills.." Artemis left the sentance unfinished and quietly left the bed chamber. Undine quickly followed her, glaring at Nixia as she departed.

In the stairwell, Undine caught up with her sister. "Artemis;" she said. "This cannot be right." Artemis rolled her eyes. "If mother says the gods told her, then they did;" she countered. "Who are we to argue?" Undine locked eyes with Artemis. "The third Satute of Mara says. 'The eldest daugter of the current queen must be the next monarch of the Kingdom upon that ruler's demise';" Undine quoted. "That means I should be Queen!"

Artemis thought this was boring and slightly foolish. "You are not giving up;" She observed. "I suppose I will help you, sister, but if anyone finds out about this, we could both be executed." Undine grinned unwholsomely. She hugged Artemis, whose armor clanged as she fell into the unexpected embrace. "I'll go to the apothecary;" Undine said. "Meet me by the kitchen this evening." Artemis nodded in the affirmative and continued on to the stables. She wanted to ride her stallion, Flaxhoof, to help ease her grief.

Meanwhile, Nixia sat with her mother's body in a daze. She had no idea how she was supposed to rule. Nixia thought she wasn't smart like Undine nor brave like Artemis. She didn't even know what she wanted, but she had no desire to be Queen. "Mother;" Nixia plead. "Help me do what's best." For a moment she almost thought she heard Irene's voice wispering something. Then, the impression fled.

Nixia stood and walked out of the room. She had to go find Erminetrude and prepare for the coronation ceremony. The matronly woman could help her write her speech and rehearse.

Undine reached out a hand from her cloak to open the apothecary door. She had worn her most plain garb, so she didn't attract observers. Which was difficult considering news of Queen Irene's death had begun to spread through the streets of Helas. People went through neighbhoods to spread news and have a good cry. A couple of times Undine thought she had been spotted.

Yet she entered the apothecary unnoticed. A wizened old crone came from a backroom to help the new customer. "What can I help you with?" The crone asked. Undine knew discression was paramount. "I have a problem with some pixies in my garden;" she said. "Do you have anything that will get rid of them?" The woman running the shop pulled a pouch off a shelf. "This is Gnome flower dust." She said. "Sprinkle this anywhere you do not want the pixies and they should go away in a day or two." Undine frowned, perhaps she should be a little more specific. "I was hoping for a more...permanent solution;" she told the woman. "Do you have any poison?" The crone looked hard at her customer.

"Are you sure that is what you want?"

"Yes."

"Pixies are not that harmful. It would be better--"

"Just give me something that kills!"

Even though a sour look briefly crossed the older woman's face, she complied. A vial of oily, blue liquid was set on the counter. "This is a deadly tincture;" she informed Undine. "Put a few drops of this solution on the surface of anything. As soon as the pixies touch it, they will be no more." Undine thanked the crone, purchased the poison and returned to the castle.

As promised, Artemis was waiting for Undine outside the kitchen. "We have what we need?" Artemis asked. Undine pulled the vial out of her coin purse. "I need you to be cunning, sister;" she said. "go find where Nixia will be sitting at dinner tonight. Spill a little of this on her silverware or napkins. When she touches one of them, she'll die."

The evening meal was brought out once all three sisters were at the table. "Have you any thoughts about mother's funeral services, Your Majesty?" Undine asked. Nixia looked down at her lap and absentmindedly picked up her fork. "You do not have to--" Nixia began to choke. Feigning concern, Undine rose from her seat. "Nixia!" She cried. "Oh dear! Call a physician!"

The ailing future queen was brought up to her bed chambers. The other princesses stood trying to look anxious as the physician atttended to his patient. The healer examined her thouroughly then rubbed a greasy, black smudged rag across Nixia's forehead, face and hands. Once this action was completed, he turned to adress the waiting siblings. "'Tis good you called so quickly;" he said. "Your Hignesses, someone, mayhaps a servant, put a noxious oil on something your sister touched. Providence favors us for I have treated her with a charcoal poltice and she will yet live." Forcing a smile, Undine shook the physician's hand and dismissed him.

"Sister," Artemis said. "I wish you would forsake this loathsome plan. Let Nixy ascend to the throne." Undine's mouth pressed into a nearly lipless slit. "I will not give up on ruling;" she said. "I will simply bide my time and prove to our subjects that I should be their Queen!" Artemis had no idea Undine could be so ruthless and obsessive. "I yield to you;" she said. "Just do not let your ambition destroy you."

At the funeral for their mother, out of respect for the dead there was an air of solemnity. The beutiful service was only marred by an impromptu eulogy given by Undine. While it will not be reproduced here, some highlights included excess use of the phrase, "As your Monarch" and a refrence to how Nixia's sudden outbreak of acne was a sign from the gods that the youngest of Irene's daughters was not meant to rule. (The pimples had in fact been caused by the poultice that had saved Nixia's life.) It was supposed to be a dignified speech but mostly sounded pompous and elicited some stiffled snorts of amusement.

The day of the coronation came. Undine had almost given up after publicly humiliating herself. Yet she knew she had one more chance to seize power. She entered the largest church in Helas, a massive structure called Allgods Chapel. Undine sat down in the Royal Pew next to her sister, Artemis. Attendees listened to the harp music as they awaited the processional.

Nixia entered wearing a radiant gown of dark blue with a purple sash, the fabric was studded with sapphires and amethysts. She shone like the night sky as she approached the high priestess waiting at the altar. "Citizens of the Kingdom of Mara;" the priestess intoned. "We witness here the crowning of our new Queen, Nixia Santos Denihah. Is this amenable to all in attendance?"

"It is not!" Undine said stridently. "On her death bed, my mother denied me my birthright by bestowing the succession on this brat!" There was a collective gasp. The high priestess, not easily flappable, looked at the princess in a measured way. "It is so that your mother broke tradition, but the gods decreed it so;" the priestess said. "Also, I believe there is one here who knows of your less than savory actions. Goodwife Natasha, come forth." To Undine's dismay, the old crone from the apothecary stood and faced her. "Her Highness, Undine, came into my shop and demanded poison." Natasha informed those assembled. "A day later I heard from the palace physician that Nixia had nearly been killed by someone putting poison on her flatware. I felt awful when I figured out what had happened, so I told the high priestess all about it."

Nixia's shocked gaze went from Goodwife Natasha to her two sisters. "Undine;" she said. "I never wanted this! You did not have to try to kill me or be so nasty." The two princesses lowered their gazes, both too ashamed to speak. The high priestess interrupted. "Shall we continue the coronation?" She asked. "You may deal with your sisters as you see fit afterwards." Nixia nodded and the priestess placed the crown on the new ruler's head. "I present to you Queen Nixia of Mara!" The high priestess exclaimed. Cheers erupted from all over the church!

Once the roar of approval had subsided, Nixia spoke. "Undine;" she said. "Step forward." The always obedient eldest sister did so. The Queen issued judgemnet. "You are guilty of high treason;" she said. "Normally you would be imprisoned and executed. However, since I still love you as my sister, I am banishing you from the capital on pain of death. Did you have an accomplice?" Undine's eyes briefly looked toward Artemis. "No, Your Majesty;" she lied. Nixia wasn't a fool. "Artemis;" she said. "Come stand before me." Reluctantly she came to the front of the church. "It is apparent to me you helped in Undine's plot against me;" Nixia said. "Do you regret aiding this reprehensible act?" Artemis was so nervous she felt faint. "Yes, Your Majesty;" she replied. Nixia allowed herself a small smile. "In that case;" Nixia said. "You are forgiven forthwith! Also you are given the title Cheiftan of the Guard! Do you swear to uphold the law of the land?" Artemis was relieved and delighted. "Yes, Your Majesty." She said. "Thank you for your mercy!" After giving her sister, Artemis, a brief hug she adressed the assembly. "I present you, Cheiftan Artemis!" She declared.

The ceremony ended, two members of the Guard escorted Undine out Helas' east gate and Queen Nixia began her rule. This did not stop Artemis from calling her Nixy when it was just the two of them, however. For her part Nixia had a good reign and the Kingdom flourished. THE END

September 01, 2020 04:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

I have to say, I don't usually like fantasy but this was one hell of a story! I love how consistent you were with the time frame. I love how the characters talk. If this was a movie I'd watch it, no questions asked. Great job on this Marian! Side note: If your up to it, can you check out my story 'What Would You Do?'

Reply

Marian Reiley
06:42 Sep 11, 2020

Wow! That's the best review I've gotten on any story! Thanks, I'd be delighted to read your story!

Reply

I'm glad! You did an awesome job.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.