47 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

Title: The Beautiful Sight

Author: By Haripriya


Authors Note: This story was a little bit more laid back, because it took me a very short time to write this. Anyways, I hope you all have a great Friday and a good weekend!


"Wow..." I looked up, amazed at the gorgeous scenery.Β 

I couldn't utter a word. But, I saw my little sister looking up with fascination too. But, no one could blame her... outside looked amazing. Gorgeous shades and different gradients of yellow, red, orange, and other vibrant hues painted in the morning-sunshine sky. Oh! Only if I could stare at this beautiful sight all day. But, no, I couldn't. None of us could. We had to get home in time for breakfast.Β 

"Can we stay here all day?" she asked me, her facial expressions suggested that she wanted me to stay here with her.Β 

I chuckled, thinking about what to respond to her question.

I sighed and responded calmly, "You know better than that. Of course we can't stay here. In fact, mother and father shouldn't even know we're here! Remember? They always ask us to not go up the hill because it is too steep. She is always afraid that we will fall, or worst-case scenario, fall and drown in the lake. Now come on! Let's go, she is probably waiting for us to come back from our "morning walk"."Β I air-quoted.

Holding her head steadily, we both rose from the smooth green grass and stood. Taking in the last minute morning sights, we looked down and started to head towards home. To admit the truth, I was a little reluctant to go home, but as the older sister, I needed to be more responsible. Sometimes the best thing may not be a good thing.Β 

"So... same time later?" she asked, raising her eyebrow up.

I chuckled and replied, "You bet!".

"I wish we weren't moving somewhere else. I don't know about you... but I am going to really miss this hill. It was kind of like our secret friend. I am going to miss the birds, the sunset view, and everything." my sister told me soberly.

"I know. I get what you're going through because I have experienced this multiple times in my life. Before you were born, we had to more than 5 times in 4 years! Can you imagine that? Always leaving, and never having anything permanently. No permanent friends. No permanent place to callΒ home. No permanent school. Everything can only be enjoyed for a small amount of time. After that, you know... it's gone. But the point is the way you handle these difficult situations. Be bold, be brave, and remember, you always have me with you. Your family isΒ alwaysΒ permanent. They won't change because they will always love you." I advised, looking empathetically at her.

"I know. It's just that sometimes when I think about moving, it's like... well, I get this uneasy feeling. It is hard to describe using just one word, because it is a lot of feelings tied, and knotted into one. You know?" my sister asked.

"Yup. It's when you feel sad, nervous, mad, angry, frustrated, hopeless, yet a little surprised about our next destination." I said, trying my hardest to comfort her.

"Exactly! I mean, I was just starting to have really good friends, and our school is having our field trip next week. With all of those exciting things coming up, and suddenly you just leave it all away. That's what I hate the most about moving." my sister admitted.

"I get it, little sis. I mean I have been there and felt that. But not so much now, because I have learned to control these feelings. Also, I have been used to feeling this disappointment that nowadays, I don't even feel them. But it all matters how we view these tough situations. That is the true key to not feeling so sad." I told her, but I felt a good idea.Β 

I knew this was going to cheer her up.

"You know, tell you what, do you want to go up the hill again and stare at the night sky. I forgot to tell you, but there is a shooting star coming to our area this night. But, I'm not forcing you... only if youΒ wantΒ to come." I kept eyeing her in a sarcastic way.

I knew that she was going to say yes. Her bright smile just defined the word 'yes'.

"YES! I wouldΒ loveΒ to come! When is it coming our way?" she asked.

"Umm... I think it is tonight at 8:00 pm. So make sure to come up with a good excuse to come here." I told her.

"Yup! I already did. This will be a perfect excuse that will trick them." she said, looking proud.

"Ok you sneaky little girl, all right! Well, would you mind if you would whisper it into my ear? I am eager to know what your evil plan is!" I giggled, and so did my sister.

✰✰✰

"Bye, mom! Bye, dad! We are sure to come home in 30 minutes!" we both hollered.

"Well... it looks like you are surely an evil genius! Your plan worked perfectly! Who taught you how to trick and manipulate people like that?" I asked her, still laughing.

"Oh, my dear, older sister. Have you ever heard of a word calledΒ talent?" she asked me.

"Of course I have!" I replied, partly rolling my eyes.

"Well, it just so happens to be that I have the natural talent for manipulating people like that. Now, no need to thank me. I knew my specialty would come to good use one day." she said, looking sophisticated.Β 

"Ok little sis... I agree! You have mad talent. Well, why are we walking when we can run? Race you to the top of the hill! Oh! Also, the last one there is a rotten egg!" I exclaimed, trying to run and look behind at my sister at the same time.

"Oh, so it's a challenge? I see! Well then, you're on! Make sure to stay far away from me once you become a rotten egg!" she called back.

✰✰✰

When we finally reached the hilltop, I saw the pretty lake. The crystal clear lake's beautiful reflection of the moon. I sighed and hugged my sister as we watched the shooting star pass by.

~The End~




November 14, 2020 00:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

Hello everyone! I hope you liked this story! Also, happy Friday!

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
05:03 Nov 15, 2020

i think imma upvote ya ^^

Reply

Aww...thanks! You really don't need to! You know what? I will do it for you too! :)

Reply

B. W.
05:05 Nov 15, 2020

everyones just been getting down-voted so much though so I'm deciding to do this for some friends and other people ^^

Reply

B. W.
18:41 Nov 15, 2020

I do?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
15:48 Nov 14, 2020

Hey, Haripriya! This is such a cute story, and you're the first person I have seen doing this prompt! :) I love how you took this! Also, the little sister's character is adorable, lol The only mistake I spotted was, 'Lastly, I sighed and responded calmly' 'Lastly' is a sort of third-grader transition word, and it's used to end an essay or paragraph, so I think you should remove it and leave the sentence how it is besides that. Anyway, you did a really great job and I like this a lot! When you have the time, could you check ...

Reply

Thank you so much for your comment! I did fix it! :) Also, I would LOVE to check out your story! =)

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:49 Nov 14, 2020

No problem! :D Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
03:10 Nov 14, 2020

This is a very sweet story with some important messages and lessons in it. I can't believe how quickly you wrote it - well done!

Reply

Show 1 reply
00:20 Nov 14, 2020

Great heartfelt story! And happy friday!!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Andy Pagliuca
02:48 Nov 27, 2020

The rhythm was great, melded so well with the dialog

Reply

Show 1 reply
21:13 Nov 25, 2020

I really enjoyed this story. I love the dialogue and how the characters are so real. Great job!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Story Time
20:07 Nov 21, 2020

I like your use of dialogue in this. It has a nice pacing to it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:46 Nov 14, 2020

heyyy

Reply

B. W.
23:48 Nov 14, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

B. W.
23:52 Nov 14, 2020

eh, i still half and half at the moment but not that much

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A. S.
18:35 Nov 14, 2020

This was such a great story! One thing I would suggest is reading through the dialogue out loud to make sure everything is smooth. The younger sister’s character is super sweet! Would you be willing to read through and critique my newest story?

Reply

Of course I would LOVE to read your story! Also, I would be glad to critique it! :)

Reply

A. S.
18:48 Nov 14, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Why was I expecting one of the fall off the hill. I think I have read to many sad stories for one night! This was really heartwarming and really described family, if only ANY of my siblings were like this lol. But great job, if I were to describe this story I would describe it as calm.. just because of how beautiful I imagine the scenery! Great job Haripriya!

Reply

Of course! Also I have a new story out, I would love if you checked it out

Reply

YES!! Finally getting to read a new story of one of my favorite people in Reedsy!! I'm so excited! :)

Reply

MEEE?? Favorite?? *Jumps in joy* That's it- I'm going to go read some more of your stories, expect my comments SOOONNN!

Reply

YAYYY!! You really are one of my first friends in Reedsy!! :) Also, thank you for taking the time to read my stories!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.