Dance With Me (Part 3)

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write a story set in the summer, when suddenly it starts to snow.... view prompt

34 comments

High School Adventure Suspense

I know that this doesn’t fit the prompt but I was really eager to write this!  Remember that this is Part 3 so it would make more sense if you read Part 1 and Part 2 first!

Wednesday 4:00 AM

I can’t sleep.  Yesterday was the worst and best day of my life.  I am so mixed up in emoison.  I have a boyfriend but lost my best friend.  Is this how life works?  You get to meet someone to lose someone?  What do I do?  What should I think?  Maybe I can get an excused absence for today.  I could call in saying that I'm sick and I don't want to get anyone sick but really I just needed a day away from humanity to deal with the fact that my best friend, Millie, is dead.  

Wednesday 6:45 AM

I feel so tired right now.  I woke up at 4 and stayed up till 4:45.  Not even doing anything!  Just staring at the ceiling like a crazy person.  I look back at the last text from Millie.  “Adi could you come over I NEED to talk”  she said at 9:57 pm.  I should have gone.  But I was asleep!  How could I have known that she was texting!  I looked harder at the message.  She would have been more specific in her message; she would say what she needed to talk about.  Something is off about this message.  I need to find out what’s going on. First I’m going to call my mom and tell her to tell the school that I will be absent today.

Okay now that I got the school problem figured out I can do some real work.  I have read all of the Nancy Drew books so I know a bit about detective work.  So one thing that I have learned is you need to follow the crime.  I know that it started at Millie’s house so it’ll be best for me to start my case there.  I know her password for the garage so I’ll get in that way.  “21700” her birthday.  February seventeenth of 2000.  She was almost 17 just 3 freaking months!  This year would’ve been her golden year! But she’s gone or so I think.  I am going to prove that she’s still alive.  She wouldn’t LET herself die like this.  No she may have fled the scene so that they wouldn’t take her in to question her.  

Enough.  Let’s get into her house.  All I can think about is all of the good times we’ve had in this house.  I notice her unmade bed that has a hanger on it.  Millie labeled all of her hangers so she knew which one I was using(yes i stole her clothes SOMETIMES) or what piece of clothing went on which hanger.  The hanger on her bed was labeled Red Dress ❤️.  Another said Black Jean Jacket.  Her shoes were also messed up.  Not usual.  She is the most tidy person I have ever met.  She must have been in a rush or woke up late enough that she had to hurry to get out to Asher’s car and wasn’t able to pick up her stuff.  Unless… no it’s not possible.  She could’ve been kidnapped by him?  It’s possible.  The gears in my head start turning.  I bet she left a note or message!  I check all of her drawers in her room, under the bed...ah ha! A note!  Her scribbly handwriting tells me that she was in a hurry.

  It read “Hello whoever is reading this.  I’m guessing that it's you Adi or mom reading this.  Please know that I am completely fine.  Asher is NOT who you think he is.  Just know that I am not dead.  I’m saying this because he FRAMED the car crash.  The people are people who were killed by him or one of his buddies.  I will get away.  Try and meet me by the AMF in a day or 2.  I’ll see you soon :)  P.S. whoever found this give it to ADI” 

The AMF!  I haven’t been there for years!  The AMF is the Adi, Millie Fort!  She’s still alive!  I knew it!  She’s always been a fighter.  I have to get to the AMF!  The AMF is in the forest behind our childhood houses(her mom’s house).  I run as fast as I can to her mom’s house.  Mrs.Baker(that’s her last name) lets me in after I knocked like 10 times in a row.  My knuckles hurt SO bad but I ignore the pain.  Millie could be at the AMF already!  

 “Hi Mrs.Baker!  No time to talk.  I have to get to the AMF.  Millie may still be alive!”  I’m breathing so fast.  My heart is in my throat. I can’t breath.  I have to find her.  I have to see her.  She HAS to be alive!  Mrs. Baker moves out of the way quickly.  She runs to the back of her house to open the door for me.

I run as fast as I can to the AMF.  It’s not too far behind their house.  Probably a little less than a quarter mile.  I can see it.  100 feet.  70 feet.  I feel like I’m going to die at 50 feet.  But I’m so close I have to make it!  20 feet.  10 feet.  5 feet.  I look down in front of me.  There's a net laid out on the ground between two trees.  Millie and I set that trap when we were 8… No Adi!  No time for memories.  We have to find Millie NOW.  I check behind the trees we used to play hide and seek behind.  Not there.  I check the swing we made out of wood.  Not there either.  Last but not least I check the playground.  First the top of the playground.  She’s nowhere to be seen up there.  I check under the playground.  It’s an area that a board broke and so we used to go in and out of there decorating it.  There are usually 2 flashlights outside on nails but I can only see one.  Maybe she’s in there or maybe not.  I crawl through the tiny door.  Wedging my way into there I hear something.  Her.  Millie.  Could it be?  She came?!  I hear it again but louder.  

“Addiii is that yoouuu?” It echo’s very quietly.  

“Millie is that you?”  I move the flashlight around.  I see something.  Very dim but I can still see it.  Then I feel something.  It touches my hand.  I have no idea what it is.  Then I see her.  It’s millie.  But she’s not alive.  I can see her ghost or maybe it’s her spirit.  

“Millie?  Is that you?  Are you… are you…”  I can’t finish my sentence 

“Adi yes.  I am, but I am still here.  I can’t leave Earth.  This is my home and forever will be.  I can’t go to heaven or hell until I’m 21 so I will be here with you until then.  I will tell you everything tomorrow.  But I bet you’re tired.  You had a long day of searching.”  I just nodded my head even though it is only 5 PM.  Millie is going to stay at my house tonight.  We can’t tell her mom about it.  She would be so confused.  Just like I was.  Confused and scared and sad.  

Okay everyone how’d you like it?  Should I make a part 4?  Ya or Na?  Let me know in the comments what you thought of it and tell me what your favorite part is!

January 22, 2021 03:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

XANDER DMER
16:09 Feb 10, 2021

Great Story!! Do You Mind Leaving Comments On My Stories Plzzzz?

Reply

Lauren :)
18:22 Feb 10, 2021

Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:28 Feb 19, 2021

ViCtoRy Is OuRs! Apparently its a challenge where you say it to someone and then have them pass it on. I got it from luna who got it from sapphire who got it from kate who got it from jade who got it from emerald sorry this is really random XD

Reply

Lauren :)
04:59 Feb 19, 2021

Okay then... I do that and I will spread it to others!!! my mind: mwahahhahah

Reply

22:43 Feb 19, 2021

ahahah yeah lolllll

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:35 Feb 18, 2021

Hi Lo just posted part 2 of THotF!!!!:DDD

Reply

Lauren :)
17:42 Feb 18, 2021

Okay! I'll go check it out!!

Reply

17:44 Feb 18, 2021

yay!! Thank youuuuu!!!:)))

Reply

Lauren :)
21:21 Feb 18, 2021

OH MY GOSH! that was so good I can't wait for pt.3!

Reply

21:31 Feb 18, 2021

yay!!! I'll let you know when it comes out!!!

Reply

Lauren :)
00:19 Feb 19, 2021

thx :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rose CG
04:50 Feb 02, 2021

Interesting story. Nice job.

Reply

Lauren :)
17:13 Feb 02, 2021

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
WaterIsDeep :D
07:50 Feb 01, 2021

I would greatly appreciate it if you made a part 4. The plot of this is very similar to a rollercoaster. Down then up then down again. This is brilliant.

Reply

Lauren :)
16:56 Feb 01, 2021

Thank you Sophie! I'm glad that you liked it! :) I'll start working on a part 4

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
20:42 Mar 13, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR...

Reply

Lauren :)
00:44 Mar 15, 2021

thanks :) I will :D

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
00:49 Mar 15, 2021

Okie. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
02:08 Feb 23, 2021

I did the dare thing that you put in your bio!!!!!

Reply

Lauren :)
05:30 Feb 23, 2021

Yay :) nice job!

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
13:02 Feb 23, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:13 Feb 05, 2021

Hi Lo!! I just posted my reedsy cast story!!!:D Would you mind checking it out?!

Reply

Lauren :)
17:07 Feb 05, 2021

Sure Going there right now!

Reply

17:08 Feb 05, 2021

tysm!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:51 Jan 29, 2021

Hi Lo!! I think I'm going to write a reedsy cast story either this week or next week and I was wondering if you wanted to be in it? If you do, you can answer a few questions about your character, and if not you can just ignore the comment or tell me you don't:) Eye Color: Hair(type color style): Skin tone: Power(magical): Element: Species(you can be human, just thought I'd throw it in): Personality: Clothes: Weakness(not physical, so like jealousy or smth): Any other notes:

Reply

Lauren :)
20:09 Jan 29, 2021

Hey luna! I would love to be in your story! I'll email you right now!

Reply

20:27 Jan 29, 2021

ok! Do you need my email?

Reply

21:25 Jan 29, 2021

you can also just respond to the comment if it's too much to email:)

Reply

00:38 Jan 30, 2021

Hi Lo, I'm so sorry if I'm blowing up your notifications, but could I ask you to answer just two more questions? Do you want to be Lo or Lauren? And what would be your/your characters weapon of choice?

Reply

Lauren :)
03:32 Jan 30, 2021

i got your email and I'm sending it rn

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
03:01 Jan 23, 2021

YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY MAKE A PART 4!!!! I need to read more! The dance with me stories is my favorite stories you have written!!!! I LOVED this story. Ok the Reedsy creaters have to make a love button!-CJ

Reply

Lauren :)
03:33 Jan 23, 2021

Okay I'll start working on a Part 4! And I totally agree about the love button :D

Reply

ℂ𝕁 𝕄.
03:57 Jan 23, 2021

Ok! I can't wait to read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.