187 comments

LGBTQ+ Christian

Author's note: This is a wildcard story! It’s pretty short and kinda different from my usual, but I’m trying it out! This is in a made up planet called Serratura, millions of years in the future, in an alternate reality similar to earth. I am an ally of the LGBTQ community and will support anyone coming out. Thank you to Isaac who proofread!! Enjoy!:D



“Nana?” A small girl asks. 

“Yes, Elsie?” 

“What are those marks on your arm?” 

Elsie’s grandmother, Eliza, sighs and puts down her book, reaching for her granddaughter's small hands. 

“Elsie? Hasn't mommy talked about the queer execution?” Eliza asks, trying to keep her voice steady as the memories creep up. 

Elsie shakes her head, her blonde braids hitting her face as she does so. 

“Well, on Serratura, about 60 years ago, there was an outburst. People were angry at others because of who they loved.”

“Why did the people get mad?” 

“The people were mad because they disagreed with people who loved their same gender. Do you understand?” 

Elsie shakes her head, and the woman sighs, smiling and nodding. 

“That’s alright, maybe we leave this for a conversation between you and your mommy.” 

Elsie pouts and climbs onto the musty couch, plopping down next to her nana. 

“Please? You’re better at telling things.” 

Eliza sighs and nods again. 

“Ok. I’ll try to make this easy to understand.” 

Elsie nods and squirms onto her side, resting her head onto her nanas lap. 

“You know how your mommy loves your daddy?” She asks. 

“That is a girl loving a boy. That is what some people call ‘normal’. However, we don't get to choose who someone loves. When your mommy told me she loved your daddy, I was happy for her. She was so happy with her life and was ready to spend it with your daddy. I can't control who mommy loves. Mommy can love anyone she wants. Boy or girl.” 

“Girls can love girls?” Elsie squeaks. 

“Absolutely sweet pea. And boys can love boys. You get to choose who you love, and if you find a girl when you grow up that you fall in love with. I will never stop you, because it is completely fine to love whoever you want. Ok? You remember that.” 

Elsie nods and pulls up a tattered green blanket. 

“Back then, there were people who didn't like the people who liked their same gender. Some of them were afraid of girls liking girls, and boys liking boys.”

“Why are they afraid? Those people are still human.” 

“I don't know, sweet pea,” Eliza whispers, “I dont know.” 

“Those people, who were afraid of girls liking girls, and boys liking boys, were sometimes referred to as homophobes. They thought it was inhumane to like your same gender. So, those homophobes started acting out in violence.”

“What does that mean, Nana?”

Eliza glances down at her wrist and swallows down the tears rising in her throat. 

“They didn't think that those people who loved their same gender deserved to live. So they tried to hurt and kill those people. It was like a war. And by the end, some people didn't even know why it started.” 

Eliza sighs and takes a shaky breath. 

“I was at a parade one time. All the people who supported same gender love were walking around the streets, talking, laughing, people even made fun posters, and we thought maybe the war and violence had settled. Halfway through the parade, a mob of homophobes approached my group that I had been walking with. They-they attacked us. Told us we had no right being on this planet. Told us we were aliens.” 

Elsie gasps and sits up. 

“I was eleven years old when that happened. Only 5 years older than you. I planned on telling my parents later that night that I thought I was interested in girls. I was too afraid after that.” 

Eliza raises her hand and quickly wipes away a stubborn tear that had started to roll down her rosy cheek. 

“Can you promise me something sweet pea?” 

Elsie nods, playing with Eliza’s dark brown curls that rested neatly on her shoulders. 

“I need you to promise me, you will never judge someone for who they love, or how they look, or anything else. Ok?” 

Elsie bits her lip and cocks her head. 

“But what if I don't like how someone looks?” 

Eliza straightens her back and squeezes one of Elsie’s hands. 

“You keep that to yourself. Just because someone looks different from you doesn’t mean they are an amazing person. Just because a boy likes boys instead of girls, doesn’t mean he won't grow up to be a wonderful young man. Right? Do you remember when there were those kids at the park that made fun of you? How did that make you feel?” 

Elsie looks at her feet. 

“Sad.” She whimpers. 

“Exactly. If you went up to a man who was married to another man and told them something mean, how do you think that would make them feel?” 

“Sad,” she repeats. 

“Our world was able to get over that homophobic stage and teach those people who sought violence right from wrong because we learned to look past looks, and religions, and who people are attracted to. Because that shouldn't matter. God makes us our own special selves, right? So criticizing and judging people is like criticizing God’s work.” 

Elsie nods and her eyelids flutter closed as she lays her head back on Eliza’s lap. 

“I promise Nana. I won't criticize God’s work. I’ll be nice.” 

Eliza nods as Elsies breathing gets heavier. Eliza rubs the scars on her wrist, remembering the searing pain from the barbed wire whips. Eliza squeezed her eyes shut and pushed away the memories and the pain, trying to run away from the past.

 

After the attacks on Eliza’s group, she went home and shut herself in her room. 


Later that night, 11-year-old Eliza Bakari vowed to bring change and promised herself that her children would live in a diverse world where everything was welcome. She prayed to God for his guidance on her journey, as she tried to pave the way for new generations, wanting no one to go through what she had just hours ago. 


Eliza opens her eyes and her lips twitch upwards.

She had kept her promise. Elsie would live as a little girl, free to make her own decisions and follow whatever path she chose. 



February 11, 2021 18:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

187 comments

Nainika Gupta
22:34 Feb 13, 2021

Hey Luna! (quick question about my reedsy-cast) you chose the name Aelia - which is AMAZING but I want kinda longer names... is Allannia ok??

Reply

22:35 Feb 13, 2021

of course!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
22:37 Feb 13, 2021

:))) your character is *chef's kiss*

Reply

22:38 Feb 13, 2021

thank youuuu:DDD I cant wait to read it!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
22:39 Feb 13, 2021

<3333333333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:15 Feb 12, 2021

heyo luna! i just want to talk to someone lol

Reply

20:17 Feb 12, 2021

Hi how ya doin? I like your pfp!!

Reply

20:21 Feb 12, 2021

im doing good! thanksss :D im writing a story for the first prompt rn :)

Reply

20:23 Feb 12, 2021

oh cool!!

Reply

20:23 Feb 12, 2021

are you writing anything?

Reply

20:25 Feb 12, 2021

I'm doing a collab with Eleanor Eclipse, and I think we decided on the first prompt, and I'm hopefully gonna post part of reedsy cast series sometime this weekend!:D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:22 Feb 11, 2021

This was a really nice story! The topic is definitely something I support. You can clearly see Eliza's hesitation when telling the story. Great job! 🌈

Reply

23:56 Feb 11, 2021

Thank you!!:D

Reply

23:57 Feb 11, 2021

YW! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I really like this story!

Reply

21:41 Feb 15, 2021

thanks!!:D

Reply

Haha, of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:47 Feb 14, 2021

WOW, this story is soo great...... Aaaaaand I decided to continue our rrrrrreally loooooong conversation here! Ooh, I love cliffhangers too! and Er, do you mind being a character in one of my stories? And which is the first story/movie/novel which made you cry, how do you feel when you read/watch it now? (just read a cool sad story now)

Reply

15:58 Feb 14, 2021

thanks! lol oki:D sure! um it was a historical fiction novel called Blue. I havent read it in a few years, but I'm sure it would still make me cry. What about you? Do you cry easily when watching/reading sad things?

Reply

16:08 Feb 15, 2021

Hi!!!!!!! Would you mind telling the basics (Name, Age, Gender etc.) and the appearance of your character? Em..., I am not much of an outwardly emotional person but I do feel sad, really sad. It’s as if I forgot how to cry or something! The last time I ‘cried’ was while chopping onions or having a bad allergy (NOT kidding, I do have a very bad case of some common random allergies, allergies is what that makes me sympathise over were-wolves, can you guess how?) or something. And now I am kinda fuming over the new prompts, I am like the wo...

Reply

21:48 Feb 15, 2021

Name: Aria(goes by Ari) Age: 15 Gender: female Appearance: tight dark brown curls, going down to her ribs, light gray eyes, taller than average Personality: Very extroverted and talkative, carefree, can be ignorant sometimes, zones out easily, very ambitious and adventurous Do you need any other info? Thanks for thinking to include me!! Yeah, I could relate to that. I feel like I get sad while reading or watching sad things or parts but never really cry. wow lolXD Ikr! I've written one romance story and ppl liked it but Idk why but I alwa...

Reply

16:25 Feb 16, 2021

Hi!, A internal motive and an spirit animal for your character would do cool! And thanks for thanking me! XD WoW XD XD I mouth seriously weird alien sounding sounds and words until I come up with something that suites. Weird, I know! A wolf?, a cat?, a slug?, I just realised, I have no idea! XD Titles?, eh, I seriously dunno! I just end up naming temporary names for my stories while working on them and then make them permanent, XD. Now answer your question! And also these- #how do ya manage your time? #what do you do when you are h...

Reply

16:58 Feb 16, 2021

Ok! Internal Motive: umm hmmm I'm not quite sure. I guess over all an internal motive for her would be to escape from her parents and live a completely different life than they did. Bit of backstory if that didnt make sense: they were very strict/structured on her and hated everything she did. They shut down all her ideas from when she was little about exploring the world and told her she should give up on her dreams. Ari wants to prove her parents wrong. There we go, thats what I meantXD Her internal motive is to prove her parents wrong abo...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:45 Feb 13, 2021

hi luna!

Reply

21:51 Feb 13, 2021

hiiii!!!!

Reply

21:52 Feb 13, 2021

i posted a new story!!! :D

Reply

21:53 Feb 13, 2021

yay! I'll go read it!!

Reply

21:53 Feb 13, 2021

:D thanks!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:50 Feb 11, 2021

was queer execution real? also, hi im bored

Reply

19:52 Feb 11, 2021

nah it's something I made up. That's why I set it in an alt reality on another planet. Homophobes unfortunatly are real tho:c hi! lol me tooXD

Reply

19:52 Feb 11, 2021

oh ok i feel ignored

Reply

19:53 Feb 11, 2021

aw, why?

Reply

19:53 Feb 11, 2021

idk i say im bored when i have an experiment to do for a science fair but I don't wanna do it rn

Reply

19:56 Feb 11, 2021

:/ lol mood. What experiment?!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:16 Feb 11, 2021

P.S. - PART FIVE IS OUT! (you have a snobby ex boyfriend XD)

Reply

19:33 Feb 11, 2021

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I SHALL GO READ ABOUT MY SNOBBY EX

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:36 Feb 11, 2021

XDDDD WHO TURNED INTO A TOMATO

Reply

19:38 Feb 11, 2021

OMG YESSSSSSSSSSSS TOMATO EXXXXXXXXX

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:39 Feb 11, 2021

XDDDD YEASSSSSSS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:16 Feb 11, 2021

I LOVE WILDCARD STORIES XD It was a short sweet read and I loved going on this wonderful journey with you! It reminds me of The Giver for some reason, like the Ceremony of the Twelves! XD This was kind of sad to read and so heartbreaking to know what happened sisxty years ago. Is this based off fact? Also, the best stories are crafted at 11pm in 30 minutes XD IT TURNED OUT SO GOOD!

Reply

19:32 Feb 11, 2021

Lol XD Thanks!! And yeah I can see the resemblence! nah this is like an alt reality sorta thing. That's why it was on another planet. But I'm completely ok with "queer execution" having never been a thing. Though homophobes definitely are:/ ikrXD thank youuuu:DD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:35 Feb 11, 2021

Whew, I thought i was the only weird one. SAME and I hope it never DARES to take a step into our planet. Also, homophobes are weird Karens who have no other way to spend their life XD NO PROBLEM! :DDDD

Reply

19:38 Feb 11, 2021

XD Me too!! lol why is that so trueXDDD :DD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:39 Feb 11, 2021

XDDD FACTS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:51 Feb 11, 2021

It was a little short, but definitely a great choice! It went along a structured storyline and felt sweet and unique! great job! Also, judgment day sounds cool :)

Reply

18:52 Feb 11, 2021

thanks!!:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:48 Feb 11, 2021

So uh yeah! Like I said in my note this was kind of wild! I wrote it in 30 minutes at like 11 pm last night lol. Onto the notes! 1. I'm not the biggest fan of the title, so I'm open to more ideas:D 2. I should hopefully finish Reedsy cast series part 2 by tomorrow night, but it might have ot come next week bcuz I'm only like 500 words inXD 3. I prefer comments over likes, so I'd really appreciate if you would leave a comment! 4. And as always I'm open to any critiques:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
03:03 Feb 18, 2021

You can do it, Luna!! No need to rush!!!

Reply

03:06 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you so much Lily!!! It's everyones comments like these that are keeping me motivated!!!:))) gagh I love my friendssssssss<33333

Reply

Lilliane Wei
03:08 Feb 18, 2021

:DDDD You got this!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
00:26 Feb 18, 2021

I am not haunting your profile, I'm not!! ...maybe

Reply

00:28 Feb 18, 2021

lolXDDD it's okXD I haunt other ppls a lot too;)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
00:30 Feb 18, 2021

;) I can't wait for your Reedsy cast story! I tend to haunt the profiles of people when they're about to release their Reedsy casts. Slightly obsessively...

Reply

00:33 Feb 18, 2021

yessss I'm so glad you're excited!!! It's done, now I need to edit and chop it down and it'll be out!:D And yeaXD I've been doing that to yours, Nainika's and Maya's a lot latelyXDD

Reply

Lilliane Wei
00:36 Feb 18, 2021

XD Hehehehehe, I can't wait! Hahahaha, haunting profiles for Reedsy cast stories makes me grin :D

Reply

00:36 Feb 18, 2021

:DDDD yessss;):)))

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
23:29 Feb 17, 2021

hey Luna! (for the 100th time, almost called you Lulu), I found a really cool writer, and I'm sure they would love your feedback <3 https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/angel-cross/ <333

Reply

23:39 Feb 17, 2021

lolXD maybe I should change my name to Lulu for a bit, just to mess with ya;) I actually discovered this author as well a few days ago!!! I really love their story, "The Indigo Child" thanks for all these recomendations Saphhhh <3

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
23:41 Feb 17, 2021

XD I'm gonna get so confused Oh!!! That's really cool! Aw np! <3 (feels weird to be smiling after finding out that Sia left lol)

Reply

23:43 Feb 17, 2021

XDDDD (I kinda want to do itXDD) :D :)))) I'm so sorry you're so saddddddd<33333 I'm glad I could make you smile, just a bit:)

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
23:46 Feb 17, 2021

(oh no) :)) Me too! Literally, the reeders are better friends than some of the ones I have irl XD Also should we move the other convo here XD It's gonna get confusing with two separate threads XD

Reply

23:47 Feb 17, 2021

lol seeing this after I just replied to the other one, so you can reply on this oneXDD Yeah!!! I socialize more with the reeders here than I do with my actual friends:)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:27 Feb 17, 2021

what????XD

Reply

For the reedsycast saw your bio LMAO

Reply

17:28 Feb 17, 2021

lolllll I was so confusedddddXDDDDDD

Reply

04:32 Feb 18, 2021

IT'S OUT CELESTE PART 2 IS OUT just an fyi your character technically hasnt made an official appearance(sorry!!!) bcuz I had to chop so much out, but she's mentioned and she will arrive in pt 3!!!:DDD

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
22:56 Feb 16, 2021

I think I found the person on reedsy who follows the most people..... wow https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/2dd255/following/

Reply

23:21 Feb 16, 2021

wow...yup they win

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
23:36 Feb 17, 2021

Ikr... IM BAWLING SIA'S LEAVING :(

Reply

23:40 Feb 17, 2021

REALLY?!?!?! tbh I didnt know her very well but all that aside, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooTvT do u know why she is leaving? I saw it in her bio but there wasnt much explanation:/

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
23:42 Feb 17, 2021

I DON'T KNOW!!!! I have never become friends with someone so fast like with Sia, Literally took five seconds and I had a best friend :) Gah I hate how so many people are leaving because of what reedsy has become. :(

Reply

23:46 Feb 17, 2021

:(((( awww she sounds like such an amazing personnnnn!!!! I wish I couldve known her betterrrrrrr yeah:( I wish people would stop leaving, but I dont know what to do bcuz it's obviously there choice but it doesnt feel the same without themmmm. It also just feels like it's completely out of everyones hands and I cant do anything to stop it, and stop all the spammers like that Edward Cullen dude *eye roll* and it's kinda like, "go away you're not doing anything good for anyone here. Including yourselffff!!!!" I sometimes just wish I could a...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Sia S
15:27 Feb 18, 2021

You could ask Ugochi what happened, if you wanna know...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
15:28 Feb 18, 2021

You could ask Ugochi what happened, if you wanna know...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
16:52 Feb 16, 2021

Wow. Such a sweet story and I just love the message!!!!

Reply

16:58 Feb 16, 2021

Thanks Rachel!!!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:47 Feb 15, 2021

hi

Reply

00:02 Feb 16, 2021

omg hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Reply

00:02 Feb 16, 2021

:DDDDD so is anything interesting happening???

Reply

00:03 Feb 16, 2021

not rly lol wbu??

Reply

00:04 Feb 16, 2021

uh well, i finished my science experiment except saph's in it and SHES NOT SENDING IN HER RESULTS SO I CANT MAKE THE GRAPH YET D;

Reply

00:05 Feb 16, 2021

ooof:(((((((( how did your experiment go?!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
21:17 Feb 14, 2021

Lunaaaaaaaa... I was wondering... Do you wanna be in The Soaring Dragons series??? :DDD

Reply

21:22 Feb 14, 2021

*gasp* omg yes!!!!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
21:28 Feb 14, 2021

Yay!! Would you mind filling this out real quick? Hair(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Eyes(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Skin tone(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Clothing preferences(anything from color preferences to exact outfits is fine): Personality: Fav Color(if you want multiple, please choose up to two): Power (please choose one of the below): Elemental: Weakness: restrictions based on area Mental: Weakness: will always tell ...

Reply

21:43 Feb 14, 2021

Sure!! Tysm for including me!!! eyes: a dark blue, but really bright if that makes sense hair: light blonde, goes down to her waste in tight curls skin tone: warm ivory clothing preferences: athletic clothes that she can fight in, dark colors personality: some what of a loner, tries to control everything, daredevil, adventurous, very loyal, she's also rly impulsive Fav color: dark blue power: mental that's ok:D Tysm for including meeeeee:DDDD Do ya want to be in my reedsy cast story?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:47 Feb 14, 2021

Thanks, Luna! And yes, I'd love to be part of it!!

Reply

22:53 Feb 14, 2021

Yay! Would you mind answering these? Eye Color: Hair(type color style): Skin tone: Power(magical): Element: Species(you can be human, just thought I'd throw it in): Personality: Clothes: Weakness(not physical, so like jealousy or smth): Weapon: Any other notes:

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
21:17 Feb 14, 2021

Hi, Luna. I think this is a really great story with lots of emotion and background to make it come alive. I like how this story not only tells a story, but also tells one that is so close to our world that it could be an alternate reality. Your writing brings awareness and sheds light on what could happen if we're not careful. Good job! -lily

Reply

21:21 Feb 14, 2021

Thank you so much, Lilyyyy!!! I'm so glad you liked ittt!!!:DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.