3 comments

Fantasy Romance Fiction

Mongrone Islandia is well known for it’s sparkling beaches.  The water is the perfect temperature -not too hot and not too cold.  The white sands sparkle with colors of orange and pearl.  Small shacks, made of balsa wood have withstood many hurricanes, and even a few tsunamis.   The water gods believe that it is protected by Nimf, the god of strength.  Not many people know about this resort island, but I do.  I found it by necessity, you may find it when you least expect it.

I was born on Camaras, a small galaxy in the boot of Zalaria.  The weather in Camaras is as frigid as earth’s Siberia.  It is so cold there that we were forced to wear steel, metallic boots just to walk to the nearest store.  When I was eight years of age, my body started to deteriorate.  My arms became blue, my lips severely chapped, and I lost all feeling in my feet.

My parents rushed me to the local medicine man and were informed that unless they moved me closer to the bright star of Ulysis, I would certainly lose my life.

My parents were not very wealthy, and moving so far away was out of the question.  But what they lacked in fortune, they earned in earnest; they believed in the power of prayer.  They met with mighty priests and summoned the sun gods.

One day they were visited by a stranger from the mountains who had heard their lamentations and told them the story of the healing powers that could help me become stronger and live a long life

The salt water contained petals of dark green leaves and pink flowers which would warm by body to 95 degrees farenheit.  It was determined that this temperature would sustain Camaras species.

The inhabitants of Mongrone lived off the vegetables and fruits of olive trees, orange canolas and rich goat milk.  These ingredients were proven to offer protection against inter-stellular diseases and planetary bacteria.  Studies over the years had shown no evidence of viral infection.  

The homes were well built and also provided a force-shield for weather related destructions. That is why the buildings were still standing after eons of storms.

My parents talked it over and followed the stranger to his ship.  In order to survive the trip to Mongrone we were put in a state of animation where our body temperatures were raised over a brief period of time.  He promised that this would cause us no pain and we would remember nothing.  The trip to Mongrone took over two and a half camara months.

I have to confess that Mongrone was a wonderful place to be.  Everything that the stranger told us was exactly as he described.

Our indoctrination to the colony (that is how the people of Mongrone described it) started off with meeting with the water gods.  There were three water gods in all.  There was Juju, the god of fins, who taught us how to move easily in the water.  We were each given a pair of thin wings to attach to our bodies.  These wings would not only make swimming easier, but would also account for finding edible food on the sea floor.

Next we met pinpoint who was the god of food.  It was pinpoint who taught us how to bring the water from the sea unto the sparkling white sands.  It was important to understand that in  order to maintain the nutrition in the orange and pearl granules to not give it too much sea water.  The trees and the olives received their water through evening rain events.

The third water god we met was Balsa.  Balsa taught us how to preserve our homes with natural ingredients of seaweed and plant life.  The plant life in the water had the strength of glue and kept the walls of our home strong with the lime that came from the plants.

I have been living here with my parents for over 20 cameras years and my life is about to change.  I am stronger that was when we first came to Mongrone.  My limbs of darkened to a light brown tan.  I am over six feet tall.  My hair is a golden blonde and my eyes a deep chocolate brown.

My friends and neighbors have tried to tell me that I look like a prince.  That any girl would love to be by my side and be the mother of my children.  But I was rather skeptical  and felt that they were just trying to be nice.  Besides, I was not ready to take a wife.

One night I was visited by juju, the god of fins.  He came to me in a dream, is wet body dripping water all over my bed.

“It is time for you to take a wife, and yet you have not chosen a single woman on this glorious beach.  Why is it that you find it so difficult?”

“I find the girls on the beach plain.  There are no ambitious ladies to challenge my thoughts.  To be quite truthful, I find most of them dull.”

“Close your eyes and allow me to read your thoughts.  I will try to find a woman for you,   But it is going to be a severe challenge on me because I know every woman on this beach.  He laid his hands upon my forehead and woke up a few hours later.  I found my bed to be drenched in sea water and pushed the dream aside

A few weeks later I was walking along the south side of the beach when I heard a cry from the shore.  I turned my head to the sound of the cry and saw a woman with long golden curls grabbing a swollen ankle.  I ran over to see if she needed any help and applied a mound of wet sand to her ankle.  It seemed to help pretty quickly and I was able to lift her back up to her feet.

As we walked along, she explained to me that she had tripped over a stone in the water and lost her footing.  She was grateful that I had heard her cry of pain and introduced herself to me.

“I am Wanda and i have just moved to Mongrone.  I am a student in Fairhigh Universal and have come here on a well deserved vacation.”

“What are you studying?”

“Marine Biology”.  I was told to be here at noon this afternoon and I was to be assigned to the north pond.  I am supposed to be testing the alkaline levels of the pond.  The water gods are concerned that the ponds may be deteriorating and they want me to give them my feedback.”

“I have been living here since I was little and there has never been a problem in these ponds.”

“Well, anyway that is why I am here today.  I need to meet up with the gods. Can you lead me in the correct direction? 

“Sure, I said.

Suddenly I noticed that I was a little short of breath.  Not only had I helped a woman in distress, but the woman that I helped was the woman that I imagined being with.  We became friends and started spending our days on the beach together.  She would meet me after completing her water tests and when her assignment was over we took our friendship to the next level.

The night that Wanda finished her assignment, Juju came to me in a dream again.  Have you found the woman you want to be with?  I couldn’t help notice you spending time with a beautiful woman on the beach this past weekend?  I noticed a twinkle in his eye as he asked me the last question, and suddenly I knew that it was no accident that I had met Wanda.

February 27, 2021 03:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Cathryn V
21:56 Mar 09, 2021

Hi Pamela! Your story was a sweet tale of survival and hope. I like the gods descriptions and their names. I was surprised to learn the protagonist was a guy. But it ended happily and felt good. Unlike my story on the same prompt, Just Words. I started writing about a water goddess Ganga and ended up with a totally different story! Thanks for writing. Let me know if you’re interested in any critique.

Reply

Pamela Berglund
23:35 Mar 09, 2021

Thank you for your comments. Please follow my stories and I will follow yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pamela Berglund
14:39 Apr 19, 2021

I always want to be critiqued. That is why I write my stories. Unfortunately, not too many give me feedback. They just hit like. Thank you for the comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.