4 comments

Adventure Thriller

Tyler was wondering how his company could transfer him, the greatest person and salesman that they had employed at the company to this small dinky town. As he carried in his luggage to the hotel, he noticed everyone had stopped what they were doing to look in his direction. He could understand why the ladies were looking in his direction, but it was everyone including the men which had the same look in their eyes. Like they hated his presence in this small one stop town, he knew that he hadn’t done anything wrong yet. So why were the people looking at him with such hated, some instance suspicions that he was out to do something that this whole town would hate.

He thought he would stay in his room for the night and watch television to rest while thinking what he would do with the people who had took an instant dislike to.  He had felt hatred and jealous by the co-worker at the last place he worked in the company. He had outshined his other co-worker like nothing and made them look like a bunch of children trying to do adult jobs. His job was to enter a town or city to see how many place, how many business would and could use their different line of products. It usually took two or three weeks to get a list of the different place that would qualify for their product.

It was like the hatred was seeping through the wall to try to reach him. Their ugly fingers of hatred where reaching for him with a desire to torture him or even to kill him. He turned off his lights and laid down on the bed for the night to rest is when he first heard the hush of voices on the streets. They were whispering about a newcomer that had come to town and was asking questions about business. Tyler went over to the window and looked down on a group of people that he couldn’t tell if they were men or women. A chill ran up and down his spine as he realized they were talking about him being the newcomer.

Why did the people of this town hate him or was it because he was asking questions about the town? What had made the people of this town hate newcomer, so much?  It scared him to think that someone might have done something to the townspeople and now, they hate everyone that doesn’t live in this town. What would they do to him since he was the newcomer he wondered just how far would they go to prove some point?

The next morning broke way too early for Tyler and it soured his position that he had been awake most of the night watching his door and window. He felt like someone was watching him from behind closed doors. Getting dressed and going down for a cup of coffee made the day seem better, but he knew that he would have to face those strangers in this town. As he walked down the stairs to the lobby, he watched the faces of the people change from smiles to a straight line across their faces.  Knowing that most of the people knew he was a newcomer to their town had instant dislike for him. He wanted to yell “I’m not that bad. I am not an axe murderer.” as he continued walking like nothing had change into the small café that was set into the right side of the building.

“What will you have this beautiful morning?” A beautiful woman brought the menu over to his table and he smiled back as he replied “How about a cup of coffee to start the day off and to turn me into a human being. I feel like your sweet town had the hatred for me. Could I ask you what I did wrong to make some many people hate me?” She brought the cup of coffee over to smile and say, “These people don’t hate you. They are just worried why you are here. We had two men come to town about a year ago, big black car and fancy suits.

 Always talking to sweet Miss Lori Jacyson who was the oldest person to live here, she was 98 years old and wouldn’t hurt a fly. Miss Lori Jacyson had the sheriff remove them from her property once and they left town.  The next morning, Lori’s grandson found her beat up and dead in her front yard. In her hand, was a business card from the company called MidWest Produce Inc.” Tyler froze in the spot with his cup midway and his mind was going a million miles a second. That was the company he worked for and Mr. Jasper had given him a business car to drive on his trip. A big black Cadillac car that seemed to know the way to this town like it had made the trip several times. Goosebumps were racing over every inch of his body and all Tyler wanted to do was get the heck out of Dodge. He sat there smiling at the waitress and softly replied “Did they catch the two men who did it?” She sadly shook her head and with a tear in her eyes, she softly spoke “No, it was like they disappeared off the earth.”

Tyler actually feared for his life and wasn’t sure what to do next. Watching as his mushroom omelet, toast, and hash brown appeared before him and his stomach rumbled from hunger pains. He wondered what was going to happen when the dear townsfolk found out what company he represented. He wanted to go to the next town and never see this town again. For some reason, he asked the waitress where Miss Lori’s Jacyson’s property was and getting instructions out to the place, he had to see what was going on out there. He had to see why someone would kill a elderly woman just to get their hands on her property.  

Tyler arrived at the position where the waitress had sent him and was met by a security guard in front of a old house that had been sealed off from the future. He asked the security guard if this was Miss Lori Jacyson’s property and he asked with a sour look on his face. In a rough husky voice, the guard replied, “Who wants to know?” Smiling, he said “Tyler Nettson form MidWest Produce in Southern Illinois.” Tyler watched as the guard’s whole attitude changed in front of him and from then on, it was “Yes Sir” or “No Sir” as he was let through the fenced in area. He plied the guard for more information as they walked around the house and had a very sinking feeling he wasn’t going to be welcomed back in town. Tyler had the feeling that he was being watched as he walked with the guard.

As he left the area, the feeling of being watched disappeared more until he wasn’t even sure someone had been watching him. The goose bumps disappeared slowly from his arms and the actual air around his body seemed to be getting warmer as he went down the road. Stopping in front of the hotel, he noticed his luggage sitting in front of the hotel as if to tell him that he was not welcome in this town anymore. Picking up his luggage and heading toward the town he left, he knew one thing for sure which was Mr. Jasper was going to answer the rest of the question he had.

Sitting in the waiting room to talk to Mr. Jasper, he noticed how the day went by slowly. It was like no one was going to come out to talk to him. Like Mr. Jasper had left the building without caring what he had to say to him.  Almost at five in the afternoon, Mr. Jasper appeared at his door waving for the secretary to go home and he nodded toward Tyler to follow him into his office. They sat down eyeing each other as the lion would eye a mouse for dinner. “Well, dear old Tyler, you made it back in one piece. I could make that town your home if you do anything to cross me again. I could mess with your mind if I care to do that. From this point on, if you don’t want to end up like that dear old lady, you better make sure I am happy. Do we understand each other?”

Tyler sat there for a moment before answering, “What did I do to cross you so badly?” Mr. Jasper just smiled at him and said, “Good boy, remember this day when you look back at it. Remember how I can mess with your life and you if I want to.” The two men sat looking at each other for a few seconds before Tyler got up slowly and walked to the door. Looking back he wondered if he had done anything to the man or if he was going crazy with power.

September 17, 2020 20:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Lani Lane
00:48 Sep 25, 2020

Hi Judith, here from Critique Circle! This was an interesting take on the prompt! I always like an unlikable lead character. :) You did a great job showing his pompousness/narcissism. A couple edits, since I'd like to make this comment productive: With dialogue, there must be a new paragraph for each different character's lines. There are also a couple places missing punctuation, or with incorrect punctuation. Also remember that in dialogue, use contractions, or else it doesn't flow smoothly. People use contractions when they talk, so...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elle Clark
08:04 Sep 22, 2020

An interesting read! You have some really good descriptions and the idea of him representing a company that would kill is really intriguing. I was quite confused by the end, though. I didn't really follow what was happening. I enjoyed reading it though!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Judith Buskohl
22:18 Sep 21, 2020

Thank you Yolanda. I read some of your stories and like I said that type of stories isn't usually what I read. I found yours interesting and well written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yolanda Wu
06:26 Sep 18, 2020

I love your descriptions of the hatred reaching out to Tyler, they were spot on in putting an image in my head of this town and its people. Your beginning paragraph was great in hooking me and you kept me interested throughout the story with your simple but effective language. Another great read, Judith. If it's not too much trouble, I would love to hear your feedback on one my stories. Amazing work again!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.