0 comments

Suspense Fantasy Thriller

  I thought it was the end of the world. It felt like an abyss of total emptiness. I tried to make myself believe that it was nothing but a phase until reality flashed in my face, staring maliciously,I could hear it's wicked laughter in my head like a serious case of déjà vu but this time it's worse. It rang in my head like an Eminem rap song on repeat mode. It kept playing over and over again, it almost made me go nuts.

  "What the hell happened here". I said to myself. The room was a perfect example of complete silence and void of humans.

  The radio transmission kept breaking and coming back on. 

 "...stay h-ooome...and safe...". Those were the last words of Femi Olanipekun the radio presenter before it went off completely.

  Stay home and safe!!! Still a complete mystery to me what's going around. Thank God I always put the Radio on record "I knew it was going to pay off". I said, trying to playback the recordings.

  " 'No. stop wasting your time on useless stuffs blah blah blah'". I mimicked Johnson, the 6ft jerkass in our store,as his teasings came to my head.

  "So much for a wasted effort". I snickered. 

  I played the latest recording before the last one.

   "... Citizens of Damesville... This is an urgent announcement... A coastal storm will bring the potential for a heavy snow... STRONG WINDS AND DANGEROUSLY COLD CHILLS IN THE NEXT THREE HOURS... THIS IS NOT A DRILL". 

  "Three hours!!!" I exclaimed.

  How long have I been gone, that three hours had passed me by already. I only went downstairs to get something for a customer and three hours has gone already. The next thing that surprised me was the sudden blizzards coming, if not present.

  "Things like this should have been done in the weather forecast three days ago and not three hours". I muttered in frustration.

  I picked up my phone to make a call "Thank God it's ringing".

   "Vivian,are you okay? Where are you right now? Thank God you called. You got me worried". Susan slurred.

  "Am fine. Still at work". I replied.

  "Still at work!!!. We searched all over the place for you when the announcement was made". She said.

  "How long have you guys been gone?".

   "We...h-h-ave been..." The network fades out. All I could hear was a long line cut sound.

   I made attempts again using the store's landphone but it all ended up as a snowball effect. Not quite long the lights went out,it could not get any worse.


 The total blackout was the beginning of my misery. 



 The last thing I wanted was to be trapped in a junk n stuffs store with creepy old artifacts and children's toys, to top it all was my fear of the dark. I never imagined a day like this.

  I just couldn't help it,I looked out the window to see the heavy snow storm, consuming anything on it's path. It's probably going to be a suicide mission for anything or anybody to be out there but I was ready to take my chances. I scrambled through the old clothing and was lucky to find a thick pullover and a old muffler probably from 90's. I dug deeper but was unable to find a headwarmer but a top hat like that of Charlie Chaplin's will do the job quite well.

  The first step I took outside was almost my last. The breeze shook off my hat throwing me in a 10dollar debt. My brain almost froze, the chills practically went down my spine,worse than being in Greenland.

  I took a wise step back inside without hesitation. I rubbed my palms together to give me warmth as the thought of a second attempt crossed my mind before. The sight of the storm pulling down an electric pole crippled every will in me to go back out there.

  I switched on my phone's torch. Frustrated if to take out my anger on myself or the stupid weather cooperation or my colleagues for forgetting me. Susan especially.

  Confused on what to do alone in the dark, in a creepy store. I took a nap,woke up,napped again. Tired of napping, I decided to go down to the store basement.

  "It's damn cold down here". I was about to turn back upstairs,my eyes flashed through a room with the 'restricted area' sign on it. I have seen this room once or twice whenever I was sent here. It was the perfect opportunity to explore the company's deep secrets.


  Different thoughts crossed my mind "maybe there's a blood sucking monster behind that door". I said to myself." Nah".

  I tried to open the door but it was locked. It has a lock that must opened with a six figure combo secret code.

  I took wild guesses of different combinations I could think of but it all proved abortive. Then I decided to take my shot with the city's postal code.

  "230281". I mouthed as I typed it in.

 " Yes. It worked". I said ecstatically

  To my surprise, what I saw was far from what I imagined.I saw a neatly well arranged relaxation spot. It had everything, Full HD TV,pool board, arcades and virtual games, a snack stand,a well cushioned sofa and a leftover chicken on the table. From the smell it's not been long since someone came in here.

  I had a taste of everything I could lay my hands on. It helped me while away time. 

  After hours of been in wonderland,it was time to leave. I walked towards the door,my phone fell down as I was about to pick it up,I hit my head against the wall. Suddenly,I heard rumblings,I thought it was the storm until something beyond my wildest dreams happened before my eyes. The walls beside the door split open like a secret room. I've only seen stuffs like these in movies, until today, it's happening right in front of my eyes.

  "Whoa..." I flashed my torch at the room in surprise.

  I choked on the cobwebs and the dust that were waiting to give me the welcome entertainment by the entrance. I walked and saw things I would never in a million years imagine. 

   "This is blowing my miiiind". I fantasised at the sight of the treasures. I ran got closer and took a gold coin and saw an inscription saying 'Bank of Damesheart' now Damesville.

  "The lost treasure of Damesheart". I whispered in amusement. 

  I've heard the story of the 'lost treasure of Damesheart' but considered it to be a fictional bedtime story and now I am standing before it's awesomeness.

  Precious stones and jewelries of different kinds were present. I jumped on it and rolled over and over with the feeling of being rich. I got up and stuffed my pouch with as much jewelry it can contain, the coins are of no use to me.

  "I'm rich. At last I made it". I screamed in joy

  "Good morning people of Damesville". The radio came back to life.

  "Morning!!!" I exclaimed. I saw Johnson walking in.

  "Morning sleeping beauty". He teased as he gave me a wet willy.

  Susan rushed in the store,she saw strecthing my body.

  "Oh no. Poor thing.come to mama". She gave me a deep hug.

  "Enough of the snuggle bunny already". Johnson said, cutting in the moment as usual.

  Reality dawned on me,I was just in fantasy world. I could not believe that it was all a dream.

  "It was all a dream". I marvelled.

  "What?" Susan asked.

   "The lost treasure of Damesheart" I replied.

  Johnson busrted into laughter making jest.

  "Awwwn. Poor thing. You've been here all alone and it almost drove you crazy". Susan said pitifully.

  "Poor thing indeed". Johnson teased.

  Crazy or not,I saw the famed 'lost treasure of Damesheart'. A moment I will forever cherish in my heart,even though it's just a dream.

January 21, 2021 03:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.