A Bride in the Hand is Worth Two in the Books

Submitted into Contest #190 in response to: Start a story that begins with a character saying “Speak now.”... view prompt

64 comments

Funny Contemporary Fiction

“Speak now,” said the clergyman, “or forever hold your peace.”

Silence. Nothing moved in that tiny church save for the dust motes in the beams of golden noon light, and for just that moment all eyes turned from the bride and groom, eagerly watching if anyone would dare. And then, just as everyone was about to exhale, the creak of the door opening juddered through the air. And a man entered the church, his shadow looming down the aisle.

“Yeah,” he drew out. He held a briefcase and he doffed his hat. “Might be, I have a word or two to say.”

The clergyman covered his face with his palm. “Jesus,” he muttered.

“John Island O’Neal!” the bride huffed, planting her hands on her hips. “Just what in tarnation do you think you’re doing?”

John, the newcomer, looked past the bride and at the clergyman. “Sir,” he said, “you can’t proceed with this marriage.”

The witnesses gasped. The clergyman scowled and crossed his arms. “On account of?”

“On account of,” said John, “we’re already married.”

Another gasp from the audience, and Millicent Carson, in her fine violet dress and hat, fainted and slid off her pew.

The bride reddened well past blushing. “John. Island. O. Neal.” Each word, a hammer striking an anvil. “Just what do you think you’re doing here? To crawl into the Lord’s house and claim we’re married? Why, I haven’t seen you in the better part of a year!”

“Well, I reckon I might have been a mite unavailable.”

“A mite! A mite!” The bride threw her hands in the air. “You spend all your time toiling away in your little accounting office, and when you finish there, you go carousing around town with time for everyone but me.”

“Well, I can’t deny that.”

“And you never help around the house. Or,” she narrowed her eyes, “in the boudoir!”

The audience gasped once again, and the Wilmerson Boys let out a saucy “Woo!” from the back pews.

“Well now, I confess that’s true.”

“A woman has needs, John!”

“Well now, I concur that’s so.”

“And you have the gall to come here, and call yourself my husband.”

“Daisy,” said John, “I admit I mightn’t have done well by you. I’ve my flaws, and that’s on me. But all the same, this marriage cannot proceed.”

“Well why ever not, John?” asked the clergyman.

“Because, I am also already married to the groom.”

This time the gathered gasped so loud that Millicent Carson was roused, and once the context was explained to her by Chalmer Chalmers, her on-again off-again groundskeeper – who was paid a wage consisting entirely of freshly baked goods – she once more wilted.

The groom hitched his belt and spat his tobacco onto the floor. “That’s just like you, John.”

“Well now, I reckon it is, Jack.”

Jack, the groom, spat more tobacco onto the floor and bared his teeth. “You know what your problem is?”

“Well now, I figure I’m about to find out.”

“You’re selfish, John!” Jack pointed a trembling finger at him. “You can’t suffer anyone else to be happy. It’s always you who everything’s about. You set your eyes on the pie and just gobble it up, come hell or high water, and you don’t so much as have a thought about the crumbs left for me. It just don’t ever register, do it?”

“Well now, I must admit there is some truth to those deeply hurtful words. My behaviour isn’t always becoming, and it comes from a place of fear, I suspect, though that’s my burden to bear, and not one I ever meant to hang around anyone else’s neck. Would it help if I said I was well and truly sorry?”

Jack spat another load of tobacco. “No, John.” He turned to his best man. “C’mon, Clancy. You wanted this to be traditional, made me buy you a sword and everything. Well, this here jackass is threatening my nuptials. Draw your blade, go out there, and cut him down. Start best manning!”

Clancy looked from Jack to John, and swallowed hard. He took a step down the aisle and drew his antique cavalry saber. He raised it towards John, but his hand shook something fierce – and then he winced and sheathed it again.

“I can’t!” he mewled.

“Well why in tarnation not!?” Jack asked.

“Because that man,” Clancy said, pointing dramatically to John, “is my husband!”

The room erupted with gasps and exclamations. The youth choir fled shrieking, and the mayor tore at his hair. The Wilmerson Boys whistled, and Maybelle Rourke hooted. She got a solid chant of “Jerry! Jerry!” going before the clergyman slapped his lectern.

“Quiet! Quiet all of you!” he bellowed. It took a solid minute for the last of the noise to die down.

Then there was silence again.

And then there was the click of a heel on the old wood floor, as the maid of honour stepped forward. When she tossed a bouquet of flowers on the ground and crossed her arms, the clergyman muttered, “Oh for Christ’s sake!”

“Clancy Lando Sutherford!” she said, withering at the best man. “And just when were you going to tell me – your wife – about this?”

Once more the crowd went wild, and everyone stood up and started shouting all at once. It took the clergyman a solid five minutes of hammering at his lectern with his shoe and screaming “Quiet!” before things settled down again, and by then his sparse hair was plastered to his face with sweat, and his breathing came laboriously.

Only the wedding party and John remained standing.

“Okay,” the clergyman said, between gasps. “Okay.” He wiped his face with his sleeve. “Seems we have a couple snags today. So, let’s do it this way. Would all the people who are married to John, please raise their hands.”

The bride and groom raised their hands, and then the best man too. And then the best man’s wife, and the rest of the bridal party followed suit. Hands rose in the audience, slowly at first and then with conviction. Even Millicent Carson had recovered enough to raise hers, even though – outside of being married to John – she was a staunch spinster.

The clergyman scanned the room, counting off and silently shaking his head. By the time he had counted off the last hand, it seemed that fully three quarters of the town was married to John. And then… he raised his own hand.

The silence deepened. Even the cicadas outside kept their peace. Once more, it was John that broke it. He cleared his throat and shifted his weight, the floor creaking.

“So, now that I have your attention,” he said, turning slowly to address the whole town, “we can’t let this marriage go through. We can’t just keep inter-marrying each other.”

“Well why not?” said Daisy, the bride.

John cleared his throat again. “Well–” he coughed into his fist “–seems like, um, I may have misread the fine print. The spousal tax incentive only applies to monogamous marriages.”

A pause. Then, “What?” said the clergyman.

John scratched the back of his neck. “Yeah, it seems like you can only claim it once. I, uh, kinda, um, missed that part the first time around.” He chuckled nervously. “Honest mistake. Those tax forms are tricky, what with the tiny letters.”

“But you’re an accountant,” said Jack, the groom.

John cleared his throat. “Yes, well. I missed that one, and that’s on me. But long story short, we can’t all be each other’s tax shelter. Looks like we’re not all going to be millionaires after all.”

The bride’s face fell. The groom’s face fell. Then the clergyman’s, and everyone else. John took a step backwards and swallowed hard. “So,” he said, “just thought I’d let everyone know.” He opened the door. “No point in these marriages anymore.” His voice was little more than a whisper. “Probably not actually legal anyway.”

Suddenly everyone rose. John screamed and ran, and the riotous mob chased him all the way out of the town of Loupole.

March 21, 2023 21:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

64 comments

Marty B
00:52 Mar 24, 2023

At first I thought Loupole was a town full of love, then a town full of animosity, then of controversy, then finally, of greed. But really, that town is covered in tobacco spit!

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:51 Mar 24, 2023

You betcha! It's the number on export *and* import. Thanks for reading, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Murray Burns
21:57 Mar 23, 2023

Here's the line that got me..."a couple of snags"...nothing that couldn't be overcome... I know of a true "I object to this wedding". The pregnant daughter of a friend of mine was getting married. The puritanical aunt of the bride objected at the church ceremony saying "I won't stand by and let a 3rd generation of Smiths (name changed to protect the innocent) get married for the wrong reason. You could just see everyone's mind at work...1- the bride and groom. 2-My friend and his wife. 3-Grandma and Grandpa! It was ...awkward.

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:32 Mar 24, 2023

Oh wow, that's wild! (It would probably make a good short story too, wink wink nudge nudge :) I hadn't heard of this actually happening before, but I assumed it must have, as the words were part of the ceremony for a reason. Still, it seems crazy someone would act on it nowadays. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
18:43 Mar 23, 2023

Fabulous farce.! -:) And just in time for tax season too.-:) Too many wonderful word pictures to make a list here; just to say that on a scale of five, this story is a: 👍👍👍👍👍 🤣 Cheers! RG

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:16 Mar 24, 2023

Thanks, Richard! Yup, that lovely time of the year :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! It was an absurd concept, very fun to play with.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
18:32 Mar 22, 2023

What a hoot. I was reminded of "Johnny Be Fair," which I think is traditional in origin but attributed to Buffy St. Marie. It gives it an amusing contemporary twist, adding the challenging (to some) idea that the laws around marriage are kind of arbitrary and maybe we can all just lighten up about it. Mostly, it's a fun story and as well-written as your stories always are. I had the worst time with this prompt, and literally hate my story, but I think the lesson here is "Be Like Michal," and know when to just have fun. I think I'll get that...

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:40 Mar 23, 2023

Heh, I actually had a rough time with the prompt too. Or at least the theme. Spent a lot of time trying to work Taylor Swift, coming of age, and one of the prompts all into a package, and resulted in a lot of duds. So instead I just focused on the prompt alone and got this, and you're right about "just having fun" :) I didn't hate your story, but I think I know the feeling. Usually ambivalent at best about mine, until I have at least one night to sleep on them and then realize they're not as bad as I thought. For this one... I suspect a lo...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:47 Mar 22, 2023

Great story. Unique, fun and unexpected. Some great prose in this, all the dialogues tags and lines such as "the dust motes in the beams of golden noon light". And any story that can lead up to the question "Would all the people who are married to John, please raise their hands" lol.. that could be a prompt.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:15 Mar 22, 2023

Indeed, it could be a prompt :) There are some sentences that have no right to exist, but it sure can be fun coming up with a story where it turns out, they do actually belong. I'm glad it was fun! Thanks for the feedback, Scott.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
14:12 Mar 22, 2023

Hey Michal. Your writing of course is exceptional, but what's interesting to me, assuming you are not from the American South, is the research of the colloquialisms. This almost has a Mark Twain feel. Did you research the language or does that just come to you? 'You can’t suffer anyone else to be happy...' and 'Even the cicadas outside kept their peace.' and 'Well now, I concur that’s so.' Also, the triplicates of your sensory detail is consistent. Do you think in 'threes' for sensory description or does this come natural? Like with; Exha...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:05 Mar 22, 2023

Hey Jack. I'm not from the South, and neither did I formally research the colloquialisms, but it is a very distinct and recognizable take on English, and it seems like it's had an out-sized cultural impact, showing up in all kinds of media. I must have picked up enough of it, and it certainly felt like it fit this story. I have enjoyed Twain too :) For the sensory details, yeah, that's semi-deliberate. Semi because I don't always go with three, but deliberate because I do like repetition, and the number 3 is a good number for repetition. N...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
13:24 Mar 22, 2023

Michał, pretty cool loophole! I like how the story unfolds. Well done! All in the name of taxes. LF6.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:06 Mar 22, 2023

Thanks Lily! Yeah, it's definitely a tangled mess out there, though some do find loopholes. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
12:21 Mar 22, 2023

Michael, this is a blast! What a wonderful concept, and your delivery is stellar. I couldn’t stop reading. I could so easily envision this on a TV or movie screen. And so refreshing to see someone else, besides me, using dialogue to let the story unfold naturally and easily. I used this same prompt for my story this week. It doesn’t hold a candle against yours but that’s not the point. The point is I’m always so impressed with how writers find different paths starting from the same spot. Fascinating how our minds work, isn’t it?! 👏👏

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:09 Mar 22, 2023

Thanks, Viga! Yeah, it's wild the ideas a single prompt can generate. Some people come up with very creative approaches, and for me, that's half the fun of reading the stories. Though I'll admit, I was a little lost with the theme this week, and I doubled down on the prompt itself :) And yeah, dialogue can be an incredibly powerful tool. Glad it works here :) I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Viga Boland
21:15 Mar 22, 2023

That’s interesting that even you struggled with this werk’s prompts. That was me last week. This week, I could write 3 or 4 stories for “Speak Now” but Fandom? I even had to look that one up! Revenge? I’m not a vengeful person…too scared of my own shadow. As for the Taylor Swift allusion in the emailed prompts, I’ve got a ton of stories I could share re putting feelings out there as a teen and coming of age, but only Speak Now works for that. And so it goes…

Reply

Michał Przywara
01:50 Mar 23, 2023

Oh, for sure. I had a bunch of half baked ideas, but they were trying to do too much. Coming of age + Taylor Swift + a fandom in New York + some kind of revenge. And then "Eras" got me thinking about dinosaurs, but that's got nothing to do with this week. Focusing on a single prompt solved it all. Oh well. Lots of ideas for future stories perhaps :)

Reply

Viga Boland
02:06 Mar 23, 2023

Good chat Michael. Thanks for sharing 👌

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
01:17 Mar 22, 2023

I may have to do this one day...for different reasons, of course. ;)

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:07 Mar 22, 2023

Of course :) Though, tax shelters *are* nice :) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
16:00 Mar 29, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:18 Mar 29, 2023

Thanks, Veronica! That's definitely the shift in tone I was going for, so I'm glad it came across like that. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.