3 comments

Adventure Funny Teens & Young Adult

Shoutout to Nainika for collabing with me:) Check her out: https://blog.reedsy.com/creativewritingprompts/author/nainika-gupta/


***


Ding ding.


“Um, excuse me, sir? Ma’am? Hello? May I get anyone’s attention here? Ugh! This is terrible service!”


I turn from the front desk and return back to where I started, the lobby. I take a seat and scroll through the procedures I was given for this vacation. 


  1. After purchasing your Vacation Bargain Bundle Express, check your email. You’ll be sent a copy of your scheduled flight times and everything you need to know.
  2. Make sure you get on the right flight. Also, make sure that you’re on time or your spot will be taken.
  3. After the plane lands at the next destination, your rental car will be waiting for you at the Bargain Rental Rack.
  4. Give your car code to whoever’s working and they'll show you to your car.
  5. After receiving your rental car, put in the address to the hotel suite on the cars’ installed GPS.
  6. When you arrive at the hotel, place the sign, that is in the cars’ compartment, that reads BRC. This way the valet can place your car in the correct space. (The valet will send you an email regarding where your rental car is placed).
  7. Check-in at the front desk. Show the receptionist your Suite Code and your card or key will be given to you. The porter will help you with your bags or luggage and take them to your room.


Have a nice vacation and thanks for using the Vacation Bargain Bundle Express!


This vacation isn’t going well so far. I get up and start at the front desk again, but there’s already a line. I stand behind a surprisingly tall man. He has to be at least a foot and a half taller than me. So maybe like, eh, 6’ 5”. He’s also really skinny. I can’t help but stare at the back of his body, examining his style- black, ripped skinny jeans, a black leather jacket, and original, all black, converse high tops- because honestly, that’s all I could do. 


He’s finally next in line.


“Hello, sir. How may I help you today?” the receptionist asks.


Ring, ring, ring. 


“Hold on a sec, will ya?”


He picks up his phone. The receptionist rolls his eyes and waits.


“Yes, I’m at the hotel. What the bloody hell do you mean I have to share?! No!, you don’t yell at me…”


“Next person in line, please," the receptionist says aggravatedly.


I walk past the guy, but he expands his long arm, blocking me from the desk.


“Excuse me, mate. There’s an impatient lady and a soon-to-be-fired receptionist I have to deal with. See ya.” 


He hangs up. 


“Is there a problem? Haven’t you any patience? And what is wrong with you, lady?” He asks the man but then turns to me at the last question.


“Well, excuse me, your highness. I’m just trying to get my key. Would you mind hurrying up, eh?”


“Whatever.”


He turns to the man.


“Do you not know who I am? Well, how would you know anyway? Especially the way I’m getting treated at. I’m the son of the owner and I can’t even get my own damn room. I’m under Castile Truminley. May I just get my room card now?”


“Oh. I’m sorry, Mr. Truminley. Here’s your room card.”


“Is there any chance you can give me my own suite?”


The receptionist clicks some keys on his computer.


“I’m sorry. Looks like your father knew you were going to try to pass around it. Have a nice stay, though.”


The guy that I now know is named Castile, walks into the elevator.


“Next.”


“Hi. This is my code,” I say walking up to the desk and sliding the paper I printed with all my code information to him.


“Ah, yes. Miss Costello. Unfortunately, we are extremely booked. I’ll have to place you in a Duo Suite. Here’s your key. The porter will be with you right away.”


“What? A Duo Suite? Like sha-sharing a suite?! Um, no, sir. I can’t do that. You see I did this getaway to getaway. Not just so I can be placed with some rando.”


“I’m sorry, Miss Costello, but unfortunately since you’ve purchased a much cheaper suite, we’ll have to place you with someone else. The costlier suites must be taken by those who purchased them.”


“This was not what the-”


“I’m sorry, Miss Costello, but I can’t do anything for you. Now please move aside. Next!”


I grab my stuff and walk in the direction of the porter waiting for me, off to the side.


Now my vacation has, finally, started. Can’t wait…


***


I can’t bloody believe those screw-ups. I especially can't believe my old man is treating me like this. I can’t even get my own room, even if I paid for it myself.


The suite isn’t that bad, though. It has a big balcony with a nice view- it also connects to the second room, one bathroom with a shower and tub, and two beds. Each bed is separated by a sliding door. I open the sliding door and lock inside. Trying to figure out which one looks bigger. I pick the second room- the room with the tv and the room that doesn’t have the entrance door. I shut the door, throw my bag onto the plumpy bed, and turn the tele on. Then I start unpacking.


10 minutes later***


I’m done unpacking and I start to get bored so I head leave my room and head to the door. Before I open the door, I hear a girl ranting out at the halls. The keyhole turns and the door swings open.


“Thank you, um…”


“Jackson.”


“Yes, Jackson. Thank you for your help. I’m so extremely pissed right now. I have to share a room with some random person. What if they’re crazy? I hate this.”


“I don't know, but I wish you the best. Here’s your stuff. Have a nice stay, Miss Costello.”


I close the door behind Jackson. 


“So… you think I might be crazy? The way you're ranting about how miffed you are, I would say you’re the crazy one,” I say with a smile.


The girl turns around slowly. Oh dang.


“Oh, no. You’re that cocky guy from back there at the front desk. Please tell me you’re not the one I’m sharing this suite with?”


She looks through the open sliding door.


“And I see you already picked your room. Sweat. Didn’t it, I don’t know, occur to you that It might be respectful if you let the other person pick? Or at least wait for the other person to arrive?”


“Okay, loosen up. You needn’t be so mad, luv. Also, you’re asking way too many questions.”


“Needn’t? Luv? What’s with the weird speaking?”


“Again. Stop with the unnecessary questions. You’re annoying. By the way, if you haven’t noticed, I have a British accent, so I'm British. Makes sense?”


“So, what? Are you going to blame the “I’m British” thing on how arrogant you are, eh?”


“I’m sorry for how I acted back at the desk. I didn’t, quite, mean it. You see my father, the owner of this hotel, currently hates me right now, so he purposely stuck me to this whole cheap bargain suite. Which I’m guessing you signed up for. Are you broke?”


“Can you leave? Like to your own room or something?”


I walk out of the suite, close the door, and down the hall. I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m sure not going to piss that girl off. There’s something annoying cute about her. Maybe it’s because her blonde, brunette hair flows all over the place or how she’s so short, compared to how tall I am, and has a sternness to her. For a girl who's here to vacation, she’s quite serious and overly angry. 


***


The nerve of that guy. “Are you broke?” Who asks someone that? Especially if you barely know them. Although he’s annoying and rude, he has a touch of nice in him. I mean I can barely see it, but it's there, I guess. I also, sort of, like how he’s so honest. Even if it's in an insolent way. It also doesn’t hurt he’s sort of cute. I mean his style was nice. Too emo, for my liking, but when he turned around to me, back at the front desk, I was like whoa. This man looks like Ryan Gosling. I was like yes! I can so be your Rachel, but like I said he’s arrogant. 


I unpack my stuff and hang them in the small closet, by the door. This place will have to do. I just hope Castile doesn’t snore.


Two hours later***


Not that I care, but Castile hasn’t been back. I hope he isn’t mad at me for suggesting he should leave, but he was getting on my nerves. I’ve been literally doing nothing, in the past two hours. I took a shower and that’s basically it. I did go on the balcony… I might’ve gone down the whole balcony and peeked into Castile’s room. He has a freaking tv! No wonder he picked that room. Since it didn’t seem like he was coming back… I also might’ve opened the balcony doors to his room and turned the tv on. Of course, I didn’t stay in his room. I took the remote, went back on the balcony, and sat on the balcony chair. Yes, that’s right. I watched tv from the balcony door for two hours. I didn’t mind, but when Castile showed up in front of me, he sure seemed it was off.


“What are you doing?”


“I might ask you the same question, Castile.”


“You’re watching tv, my tv, from the balcony.”


“And you went through the balcony door, my balcony door, and came here.”


“Do you want to go somewhere?”


“With you?”


“No, with the remote that is in your hand. Yes me. Who else?”


“Well with that attitude, I don’t want to go anywhere with you.”


“Oh, come on. Please. Let’s have an adventure. Let’s- I don’t know.”


“So you want to go somewhere, but you don’t know where?”


“Exactly! It’s called an adventure.”


“Well, okay, Indiana Jones. Let’s do it. Let’s have an adventure. Let's Sankara Stones.”


“You Canadians make no sense.”


“How did you-”


“Your shirt says “I’m Canadian.”


“Oohh, right.”


***


“What’s your name? Besides the whole Costello part,” I ask while we walk to an unknown destination.


“My name is Armani Costello. You’re Castile Truminley. I heard over you at the front desk.”


“Aye. So, Armani Costello, have you been to the US before?”


“Yes, this is my third time, actually. I went to North Carolina, Ohio, and nowhere.”


“So out of all America, the third place you wanted to visit was Maine?”


“What’s wrong with Maine? You’re here aren’t you?”


“Nothing except for the fact we’ve been walking for how long? Like about three hours and we still haven’t found a place to go? Also, yes, I am here, but it wasn’t like I hadn’t any choice.”


“Well we did pass by multiple places that seemed cool, but I didn’t think you would’ve wanted to stop at any of them. Also, that sucks. What also sucks is that this is a terrible adventure.”


She laughs and I think I find another cute thing along this walk. The first thing was the way a little boy kissed his mum on her cheek and then her pregnant belly, Armani’s dimples, and now her laugh.


“Well, we’ve been walking near a beach. Want to head there?”


“Sure.”


***


While we both walk down the path of rocks leading to the beach, I realize how interesting this guy is. We’ve been talking about things, mostly random things, or bombarding each other with questions, but he’s interesting, in a way. I noticed how the wind picks up his golden-brown hair, how his eyes glisten to a lighter shade of brown when the sun touches upon it, and how his long legs take bigger steps than mine do so I have to walk a bit faster than he does. We’re not exactly the same, physically or characteristically, but he’s okay. 


We get to the bottom of the path of rocks and the ocean is so beautiful. The waves splash each other like they’re little kids and the Petrels soar through the sky like kites.


“Let’s go in, shall we?”


“Why?”


“Maybe we’ll find mermaids or the Titanic.”


“So you want us to fictional play out an adventure?”


“Why not? I did bring you out here.”


“We aren’t even wearing bathing suits.”


Castile grins and starts removing his shoes.


“It’s just like wearing bathing suits,” he says, throwing his jacket and shirt on the sand.


I glare at his abs. Wow. Still, I can’t just get half-naked, even if his persuasive accent and curved abdomen are tempting


“I don’t think so. I’ll just watch, I guess.”


“So you're going to be Ursula, while I become the mermaid version of… Who’s Ariel’s husband?”


“Okay, fine, Prince Eric. I’ll go in the water with you.”


“Was it the accent that changed your mind?”


“Shut up,” I say, as I shake my head and slide my sandals off.


Castile stares at me. Every movement I make. I slowly take off my pants and sweater.


“You take forever. May you hurry before the sun goes down?”


“Now you’re rushing me after you suggested I should strip down.”


“I’m just saying.”


My shirts off and I fold my clothes into a pile next to Castile’s mess of clothes. As I get from my clothes I see Castile staring at my belly. I wrap my arms around myself and start to walk closer to the shore.


Castile catches up to me and starts to walk backward in front of me, blocking me from fully entering the water.


“How’d you get that scar? If you don’t mind me asking.”


“Um, I got surgery.” I clear my throat. “I had to get operated… so I- because I had a miscarriage”.


“Oh. I’m so sorry about that.” 


His face seems close in between sympathetic to shocked. 


“What is it? Surprised I would even get pregnant in the first place?”


“No. I just- your really young that’s all and you- nevermind. I’m sorry.”


“I got molested, at a young age. It happened a while ago and the miscarriage followed that.” I look down and stare at the crumbs of sand. “I don’t know. I just wanted to getaway. To stop thinking about everything.”


“I feel like a jerk now. Basically forced you to come with me and wasted your whole time.”


“No, you're fine. We have like 5 more days? Plus we have to share a suite… Anyway, I’m the one who’s sorry. I don’t think I should’ve told you. I mean I don’t know why I did... Let’s just have the adventure you promised me.”


“It’s the accent.” 


Castile smiles and I take a deep breath of reassurance. He slides his hand into mine and guides me to my getaway. The place where you can just sink and let everything around you flow. 


We submerge into the blue and then I realize this whole trip wasn’t my getaway… It was the opening of a new adventure.

March 01, 2021 20:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Shirley Hope
13:46 Mar 14, 2021

I really like this story, I love how the ending leaves the rest of the story to the reader's imagination. I had to keep reading to see what will happen next. Well done.

Reply

Jay DMer
00:04 Mar 15, 2021

Thank you so much:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jay DMer
12:40 Mar 02, 2021

If you guys find any sentences that sound funny or incorrect it's because British people speak differently than English speakers. I did my research (just as my bio says), just in case, there are any British speakers out there ;) Enjoy!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.