Batool

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic thriller.... view prompt

219 comments

Drama Thriller Science Fiction

This story is dedicated to Batool Hussain on Reedsy Prompts.


She laughed wildly, crazily, manically.

There was no surprise there; she had been laughing like that her whole life. Ever since birth.

Because she, Batool, was a Laugher.

She felt more like a broken record, a puppet, a hyena. Her throat was sore day and night, and she wasn't sure how long it'd be until she couldn't speak. But she couldn't control it at all. She had to laugh. Batool didn't know what would happen if she didn't. Her body was simply designed to laugh, although her throat wasn't.

After the apocalypse, the government had created this system to introduce humor and happiness into their dry, traumatized world. They brainwashed all survivors, and everyone was given a role from the moment of birth. There were the Jokers, which had to make jokes about everything. There were the Laughers, which had to laugh at anything funny.

Then, there were the Sarcastics.

Batool wasn't exactly sure how to describe them. They were both, but at the same time, neither of the other two types. They didn't laugh or joke around. They smiled and made lightly sarcastic remarks. She'd never met one, so she couldn't exactly say.

Sarcastics were rare and were considered divine. They were allowed to play both roles but neither at the same time. They had a real choice.

Which, unfortunately, neither the Jokers nor the Laughers could say about themselves. Every Joker had to joke. Every Laugher had to laugh. Having a choice was simply unreal to everyone else.

Batool had decided to move to the very outskirts of their town, in a small cabin with abandoned neighboring houses. No Jokers lived there; they always lived in the center. They had always been the center of attention, so their jokes would be heard.

This way, she didn't have to laugh at all.

Batool didn't want to be a Laugher. She really didn't. As a child, looking out at the world through two innocent, unknowing eyes, everything was happy. Everything was funny. It was nice to laugh!

Now, she looked out at the world with hate. It wasn't fun to laugh anymore. She recalled all the times she had been sad, and a Joker had made a joke.

Through the tears blurring the lines of the world into shapeless smears, she had laughed.

These new roles had ruined laughing for her. She sipped her ginger tea, a feeble attempt at healing her scratched-up throat.

She was seriously considering Alteration.

It was completely and utterly illegal, of course. The government had carefully counted every Joker, every Laugher, to make sure there was one Laugher for every Joker. Changing one's role would tip the perfect balance that was the (only) pride of their post-apocalyptic world.

It was extremely costly, too. A scientist had found the essence for Alteration one day and had secretly spread the word, unbeknownst to the government. She had called it the Alteration Elixir, or the Arugula Express to prevent suspicion. Unfortunately, she had never gotten to try it on herself, as she passed away from mysterious causes soon after.

Batool had heard of both success and failure stories from the Alteration Elixir, but decided to try it anyways. Finally, being able to escape the role she had been stuffed into her whole life was worth a huge risk, wasn't it?

Batool decided to register for Alteration. She got an appointment soon after and had gotten no sleep the night before the day of.

She had to go into town, and that meant the possibility of encountering a Joker. That meant laughing, and she was nowhere close to the mood for that. It was time to be serious.

Batool stuffed her earbuds in, slipped on her coat and gloves, grabbed her wallet, and walked out.

She walked to the store as fast as she could, trying to avoid Jokers at all costs. She really didn't feel like laughing today.

Thankfully, she had reached the store with no interactions with Jokers. Batool looked up at the dusty, worn building, cringing as the blindingly neon green Arugula Express sign flickered. She wondered why the government hadn't taken a closer look, but then realized no one in their town would have enough interest in arugula to enter unless they knew its meaning.

She reached towards the door, fingers trembling from the cold. She couldn't wait to get inside and finally have some warmth. A strange feeling rang over her brain, and for a moment her fingers retreated from the door handle. She remembered what she was here for, and how important it was, and decided to go in anyway.

Batool was terrified, excited.

She entered the Arugula Express with high hopes.

It wasn't warm. It was freezing cold, perhaps even colder than it had been outside. Scratch that, it was definitely about 30 degrees colder in the building.

It was also completely pitch black.

Batool felt like someone else was watching her. She was familiar with the feeling, as she'd always been an outcast, stared at, talked about. She felt the eyes gazing onto her fumbling in the dark.

It was fine. It was probably a camera.

She didn't know where to go. She didn't know what to do. Batool pulled out her phone, thinking the light would help. Her numb fingers attempted to tightly secure it, but failed.

She dropped her phone with a splash.

Splash? Wasn't she indoors?

She kneeled down to grab it and felt a strange liquid around her hands and knees. The mysterious liquid smelled coppery, almost like... blood.

A chill fell over Batool's body, the possibility a burdening weight in her mind. She shook it off. It was probably the Elixir!

This wasn't scary... at all. The lights had been turned off for secrecy, and some Alternation Elixir had fallen onto the floor.

...Right?

Batool thought this to herself until she felt a cold hand on her back, long nails digging into her flesh.


(Note: Thank you for reading my story!! For the next few weeks, I am dedicating one story to each of my followers! I'm so sorry I've been so busy, this story was supposed to come out months ago~I apologize to Batool for making her wait so long for her story, and I apologize to my followers for making you all wait so long for any stories :) This story is fully dedicated to Batool Hussain; make sure you check out her account and stories! Thanks for all the support :D We're almost at 100 followers!!! Check out the rest of my stories, too! Thanks!!)

September 26, 2020 03:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

219 comments

Avery G.
23:38 Oct 06, 2020

Aww, this was so sweet! I love how you're doing different Reedsy friends every story! It was so good! Great job!

Reply

Laiba M
01:18 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you, Avery!! Long time no 'see', haha~! How are you?

Reply

Avery G.
01:20 Oct 07, 2020

You're welcome! Yeah, haha. I'm good, although I'm super busy with school. How are you?

Reply

Laiba M
01:57 Oct 07, 2020

Very stressed~~ I swear online classes give thrice the amount of work in-person classes would give! With balancing a proper Reedsy story uploading schedule, all of my schoolwork, a social life, all my extracurriculars, and a healthy lifestyle, I am exhausted :)

Reply

Avery G.
02:05 Oct 07, 2020

Yes, same with me. I can't upload Reedsy stories anymore because of school. I homeschool, but that doesn't mean I get less work. I still have some online classes that give a TON of work.

Reply

Laiba M
02:40 Oct 07, 2020

Ahh, that sounds so stressful! I finally posted for the first time in months, and I've already promised two stories for this week! To give you an idea of my classes' workload, each class gives about 15 assignments per week, which is about 150 assignments per week total! It really is hard with online school, and I really do wish we could go back to in-person, but safety first :)~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aafia Hanya
19:32 Oct 01, 2020

oh my!!!! oh its sad and beautiful.. 💜💜💜

Reply

Laiba M
01:01 Oct 02, 2020

Thank you, Aafia! It meant a lot :) 💜💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
16:10 Oct 02, 2020

whenever you can check out 'a savior' and leave some feedback ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
22:37 Oct 01, 2020

How much word's do you have for it so far? (if you even started it) and i think i might try to do something like this as well ^^ i know i've already done the 'adventure with friend's' thing but i'm thinking something different

Reply

Laiba M
01:01 Oct 02, 2020

Oh okay, sure! I'm about midway.

Reply

B. W.
01:02 Oct 02, 2020

so then about 500-600 word's for it now?

Reply

Laiba M
01:12 Oct 02, 2020

I don't always fill up the 3k word limit.

Reply

B. W.
01:13 Oct 02, 2020

I never really do either, it's just a small bit over 1k so that i could actually finish it. Ya almost to 1k on it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
01:12 Oct 02, 2020

But around that, yes~

Reply

B. W.
01:14 Oct 02, 2020

again, thanks for even doing this though ^^

Reply

Laiba M
12:46 Oct 02, 2020

No problem, Hope^~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.