2 comments

Adventure Fantasy Kids

Annabelle was lying on her side with her knees curled up and her head resting on her outstretched arm. Her eyelids fluttered as she blinked rapidly to become accustomed to the light of morning.  A smile touched her lips as she breathed in the sweet smell around her. She stretched out like a lazy barn cat and slowly sat up on the grass.

“Rohan, wake up,” she whispered loudly. 

Rohan rolled his head back and forth, keeping his eyes shut tightly. It was too early in the morning to get up. He just wanted to stay asleep for a little while longer.

“Hurry, Ro, you have to see this,” Annabelle said excitedly, all the while shaking his shoulder.

Rohan pushed her hand away, sat up, and leaned back on his hands waiting for his eyes to fully focus in the bright light. His mouth opened wide and he wordlessly scanned the horizon taking in the site. 

“Where are we, Anna?” Rohan asked softly. “I’ve never seen anything like this place.”

“I don’t know,” she said, shaking her head. “When we went to bed last night we were at home. I do not even know how we got here. Don’t worry, Ro, we will figure this out,” Annabelle said reassuringly.

           Annabelle did not want her little brother to know how worried she was, so she put on a brave face and started brainstorming ideas.

“We could follow the creek and see where it leads us,” she said out loud.

“Yes, but do we go upstream or downstream?” Rohan asked.

“Good point,” she replied.

“How about if I climb a tall red tree and see if I can spot a town or any houses?” Rohan asked her. “I just wish one of them had rungs so I could climb it easier.”

Annabelle took another long look around them before she answered, “I think that is a great idea. All I see are patches of rainbow-colored flowers and trees for miles in each direction. Hey look, this red one has little notches you can step in so you can climb it. Come on, I will give you a boost up.”

Rohan carefully climbed the tree and quickly reached the top.

“What do you see?” Annabelle asked.

“I think I see a farmhouse,” Rohan answered.

“Which direction?” Anna asked.

“Upstream, maybe a couple of miles away, it’s hard to tell exactly how far away it is.”

“Great job, Rohan. Be careful coming down.”

When Rohan reached the bottom of the tree and jumped to the ground Anna gave him a quick hug. 

“See, I told you we would figure this out,” she said smiling at him.

“All around the creek it looks like a nice grassy area so we should be okay just following it until we get to the farmhouse,” Anna pointed out. “Come on, let’s go! The sooner we get to the house the sooner we find out where we are.”

Rohan nodded in agreement and they headed upstream to their destination.

“Look, Anna, there is something moving in the creek. What is it?” Rohan asked, pointing just upstream.

They both stopped and stared down into the root beer colored creek water trying to get a better look at what was moving under the surface.

           “It looks like a conveyor belt,” Anna said. “I wonder what it’s for.”

           Rohan shrugged his shoulders and they turned back around and continued towards the farmhouse.

           “I’m hungry,” Rohan said after they had been walking for a while. “I wish we had some food and something to drink would be nice.”

           “I know, Ro, I’m hungry too. We are just going to have to wait until we get to that house and see if there is any food and water there. It shouldn’t be too much longer,” Anna said.

           “Look, Anna,” Rohan said pointing upstream a few feet. “Where did that boat come from? It wasn’t there a minute ago.”

           A little green and white striped rowboat about 2 feet wide and 3 feet long slowly moved downstream towards them. Inside the boat, sitting on a single wooden seat was an oblong basket filled with a few pieces of delicious-looking fruit. The boat slowed to a stop when it reached them and sat motionless in the slow current.

           “Do you think the fruit is safe to eat?” Rohan asked.

           “I think so,” Anna replied. “It sure does look safe. I just wish I knew where it came from.”

           As soon as the words were out of Anna’s mouth a note card appeared on the seat next to the basket. 

           “How did that happen?” they both said in unison looking bewildered and amazed.

           Anna reached in the boat, picked up the notecard and read it aloud. “Courtesy of Golden Acres.”

           “Well, that solves the mystery of where it’s from. I’m pretty sure it is going to be safe to eat.” She reached in the boat, pulled out the basket, and chose a round piece of fruit that looked like a peach. “Here goes nothing,” she said as she bit into the fruit and began chewing.

           “How is it?” Ro asked.

           “Mmmm, it’s so good. It tastes like a fruit smoothie with peaches, bananas, and mangos,” she replied. “Try something.”

Rohan reached in the basket and moved his hand over several different pieces of fruit before he finally grabbed a piece that looked like a giant blueberry. He bit into the fruit and was delighted with the taste. 

“It’s so good. It tastes like blueberries, raspberries, and mulberries all at the same time. This is the best fruit I’ve ever eaten.”

“Let’s bring the fruit and keep walking. I just wish we knew how far the farmhouse was,” Anna said as she picked up the basket from where she had sat it next to the creek.

“Look Anna,” Rohan said pointing upstream. “There’s a sign but we are too far away for me to read it. Hurry, let’s go see.”

It took them less than a minute to reach the sign.

“Golden Acres 500 Yards,” Rohan read aloud. “We are almost there. It must be just over this little hill.”

They walked on and when they came to the top of the hill, they were excited to see the farmhouse. Anna took Rohan’s hand and they ran down the hill to the front door. 

           “It doesn’t look like anyone is home. I wonder when they will be back,” Anna said looking around.

           “I’ve had a lot of fun today, Anna, but I just wish we could go home,” Rohan said.

           “I know, Rohan, me too,” she agreed.

           “Hey, there is a note on the door,” Rohan said.

           “Knock three times, spin in a circle clockwise, and then the door will be open for you,” Anna read out loud.

           “That’s kind of strange,” Rohan replied.

           “This place is kind of strange,” she said with a laugh. “What do we have to lose?”

           The kids both knocked three times on the door, spun in a clockwise circle, and then waited for the door to open. 

           “You go first,” Rohan said, stepping back from the doorway.

           “How about we go in together?” Anna asked and held out her hand.

           “Ok, let’s go,” Rohan agreed.

           The kids pushed the door open wide and walked slowly over the threshold into the darkened room. 

           “There you two are. I have been looking all over for you. Come on and get washed up so we can go into town and have lunch with Grandma at her work,” Mama said.

           Anna and Rohan looked at each other and laughed. They had no idea how they had gotten to the Rainbow Valley or how they had gotten home but it had been an adventure, nonetheless.

The End.

September 11, 2020 18:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

P. Jean
00:16 Sep 24, 2020

Lots of space to really develop a story if you had more words available. Loved your descriptions. Pretty blasé kids, nothing seemed to shake them up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
S. K.
13:29 Sep 19, 2020

hey i really like all the description you have! the bond between the siblings is really sweet too. awesome story, good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.