25 comments

Fantasy Adventure Teens & Young Adult

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. I was too late. I didn’t find the bomb in time. Ashes rained down from the sky. The glittering cinders caught the fading twilight sun. Standing on the steps of the Fleurs Séchées ball, I watched the once vibrant fields of lavender turn into a sea of flames. Releasing a breath, I could not help but stare at the burning trees. Gilded tongues of fire licked up the barks of the surrounding forest trees, igniting the once full canopy into a dazzling inferno. Lurid towers of ash and smoke burned bright against the sky. Standing alongside other horrified aristocrats, I pulled at my corset and skirts, I fiddled with the boning of my dress. Scarlet embers danced in the night breeze. From the top of the mountain crest I watched the world burn. The sight of the encroaching wall of fire sent shivers down my spine. To think that only a few hours ago the estate had been full of frivolity and laughter, now it was nothing more than a heap of ashes, and I was trapped in the centre of it.

Silence pulsed in the air in the aftermath of the explosion. Shrapnel and bodies littered the dust covered floor as Lady Mavis rose from her seat and began shouting orders, and in the blink of an eye the once serene Fleurs Séchées ball tuned into absolute pandemonium. The crackling of the encroaching wall of fire faded into the background, replacing the screams and shouts of the aristocrats. Standing in my uncomfortable gown I watched the house servants dash inside the main house, herding aristocrats away from the blaze. Some of them leapt into carriages, other remained in the safety of the house. One of the house staff was even sweeping up the glass into neat piles, unphased by the burning fields and destroyed courtyard party. This must have been routine for them because each member of staff ran in orderly lines. Even the prudish head of staff, Sir Aimeric, was red in the face from running. This could not be good. However, with the world now burning around me, I looked at William, tendrils of smoke still curled off his suit.

“What are we going to do now?” I asked shakily. How was I supposed to explain this to the headmistress was a better question? 

I had been sent to the ball to diffuse the bomb without suspicion, but I was too late. Instead of the explosives being implanted in the heart of the main house, they were embedded in the heart of the dance floor. Ugh, I was going to be in so much trouble with the Captain of the Guard for this. Luckily, each member of the Mavis family had been spared from the blast, so maybe my punishment wouldn’t be as severe.

Handing me a piece of cloth William coughed, “I say we put out the fires and―”

Reaching out my hand I heard a whirring in the air. “Get down,” I yelled yanking William to the ground with me.

An arrow whizzed, cutting through the air where we once stood. Slivers of glass dug into my palms, sending rivers of blood dripping down my fingers and onto the floor. Whipping my head towards the direction the arrow came from, I saw that the remnants of the opulent chandeliers lay shattered on the floor. Fragments of the precious stone glistened like freshly fallen show. In the middle of the ruined courtyard, a woman clad in fighting leathers stood. With her bow raised, she fired again. Dodging the arrow, my back crashed into the chipped rubble of the sculptures. Mother of pearl filigree cast glittering rainbows on the broken walls of the courtyard. Looking back at my assailant I saw her nock another arrow into her bow. Her raven black hair covered her face in the blowing breeze, but I saw it. A small jabberwocky was tattooed into her neck. Damn it, they had found me.

Crawling behind one of the marble statues I reached to my back and began pulling at the strings of my dress. Ripping at the boned bodice and taffeta skirts I freed myself from the cloth cage. Crouched in my stealth suit I was glad that I had chosen to wear my second skin. Balling my hands into fists I flinched as William scrambled next to me.

“Who’s your friend there? I believe we haven’t been introduced?” William wined, “you wore your suit?” he as raising an eyebrow.

“She’s not my friend, she an assassin of Asphodel. A few months ago, I may or may not have freed a warlord’s slaves and stolen a ship or two.” I breathed, fighting a smile as more arrows were shot at us.

William’s face deadpanned, “You didn’t! Please tell me you didn’t―” Pulling out two guns from beneath his jacket William handed me one before firing back.

Turing to fire back at the assassin, I continued, “did I mention that I also took Shomari’s dog?” my voice pitched higher than I had intended.

“Ros!” William shouted, shooting me a stern look.

“What?” I squealed, “he was going to kill the dog anyway!”

Seeming to know that this was a lost battle, he yelled, “we’ll talk about this later! Now follow my lead,” grabbing a nearby shield for cover as he jumped back into the fray. Balling my dress in my fists I checked the fabric to my left, swinging to the right, my gun in one hand, a dagger in the next. It was time to show that warlord who he was dealing with.

Looking around the abandoned courtyard, not a soul stood. It was empty. Where did they go? Scanning my surroundings, I saw droves of people milling about the estate house, each of them eyeing the destroyed courtyard wearily. Whipping my head around I spotted William running in the field of fire, shooting at the assassin. Plumes of smoke lined the fire breaks in the valley. Someone had cleared a trail to starve off the fire, but it wasn’t the insatiable wall of fire that ate at the field of lavender, but the embers. White hot embers rained down from the sky, scorching anything they touched. William was on the assassin’s heals but just as she got within range to take a shot, he swerved. Dodging, bobbing and weaving his way through the field William was guiding her towards the heard of sleeping wyverns.

Latching the gun to my belt I picked up one of the water goblets instead. Enchanted to be bottomless, the chalices had an endless supply of water, which made them perfect for putting out fires. Gripping the cool metal in my hand I stepped forward.

Cursing myself, I raced into the inferno without looking back.

In the middle of the field, I approached the herd. Sleeping in the heart the inferno, I spotted approximately two dozen wyverns, each of them a different colour and size. With heaving chests that weighed tonnes, the beasts slept peacefully. This was my chance. I pointed the chalice at the herd of wyverns. Roars ripped through the air at once, waves of wails accosted my ears, as leathery wings took flight. Wyvern’s hated water. Advancing, I maintained my stance, extinguishing the surrounding flames. One by one, the wyverns took off into the night sky.

After getting rid of the wyverns I listened for any sound of life. A clash of swords rang through the air, and I whirled. Leaping towards the sound I found William and the assassin duelling, however, the assassin had the upper hand. Skirting along with the shadows, I listened to their voices. Looking for a spot to land my blow.

“I know your secret,” she hissed through sharpened teeth. Digging her heels into the dirt she leveraged her sword and swiftly kicked William’s legs out from under him. She knocked him into the mud, a smile graced her split lips.

Springing in from behind a semi-burnt bush of lavender I reply angrily, “you’re going to have to be a bit more specific. Which one? I have a lot of skeletons in my closet,” bringing my sword down onto her shoulder. Being careful not to deliver a deathblow, I struck the butt of my dagger between her shoulder blades. Greeted by the sweet hiss of pain, I kneed her in the stomach. Gauging my work, she appeared to be unconscious. Taking advantage of her unconscious state William wrapped and bound her arms and legs together, stripping various weapons from her.

“So… he was really going to kill the dog?” William asked, pulling a strip of cloth from his pocket and wrapping it around my bleeding palm.

“Yes,” I answered, a small hiss of pain escaped my lips as he tied the makeshift bandage into place.

“I suppose the bastard didn’t know who he was dealing with,” William laughed.

“No, he did not,” I chuckled.

“Here,” I handed him the enchanted chalice, “want to help me put out the rest of the fires?”

“What about her?” he asked, motioning to the assassin’s still form.

“You’re right,” I paused hesitatingly looking at the still burning fires in the distance, “how about you take her back to the estate house and wait there for me, I’ll put out the fires,” I suggested.

Nodding in agreement William hauled the assassin over his shoulder, warning me to be careful of the wild wyverns that sometimes nested in the lavender fields.

After clearing the heart of the fire, I continued my crusade against the fire for what felt like hours, with the chalice never once failing or sputtering. Sweat dripped down my skin, making my suit stick uncomfortably to my back. The previously pristine fabric was now covered in sweat and ash, with holes burned into a few places for good measure. Once the last acre of burned lavender had been mostly salvaged, I paused to take in the stillness of the early morning. The ruined trees stood sentient and unmoving, not a breeze dared blow. It was too still. My skin turned into gooseflesh when I heard a rattle of spines.

The air still smelt of smoke, but faint whiffs of lavender and camomile had begun to seep through the air as dawn broke over the horizon. The soil now squelched beneath my feet as I whipped my head in the direction of the sound. A gleam of teeth shone in the faint light. Backing away, I reached to my side for my sword, but my hands came back empty. Damn it. Great. I was on the edge of a large field, by myself, with no weapon. Yep, this is how I die, of my own stupidity.

I stared into the darkness. Two gigantic eyes stared back at me. The beast cocked its head to the side and lowered its snout to the ground. Extending my open palm in a gesture of goodwill, the beast nuzzled its enormous scaly head into my touch. Clearly not a gargouillade, the jabberwocky peered at me through slitted amber eyes. Assessing me? Eyeing behind its head I saw the remnants of a saddle on its back. Wait. That was not right. Jabberwockies didn’t have riders, they were too unstable; but this one was, strange. Assuming that it must have belonged to the assassin, I eyed the trek back to the manor house and then to the creature, it should be fine to ride it back to the manor house, right? Curiosity got the better of me, as I cautiously climbed on top of the wyvern and shot into the sky.

After handing the Assassin over to the Mavis family’s captain of the guard, William and I decided to stop by Atlantica before we went back to Quadrivium. This left us standing in the middle of Boris’s townhouse. Washed and changed into clean clothes we chucked our bags into my room. Looking out of the windows we saw that the world was on fire, in the best way possible. It was autumn in Atlantica.

Stepping out of the redbrick townhouse I looked towards the bleak sky and smiled. Gods, I missed this place. Scarlet adorned the trees, lining the cracked stone streets with crimson and cherry red leaves. They hung delicately off the withering trees, their umber barks and branches shook in the gentle breeze. The cold caress of autumn made my cheeks sting, kissing the icy air onto my skin. I flexed my bare hands against my coat, the hint of golden ashes lingered on my skin. Peering down the street I saw that a bed of various vermillion leaves blanketed the dreary grey ground. Gazing upwards, I saw that the charcoal coloured clouds loomed over me, each of them carried the promise of rain.

Swinging open the bright red door of the confectionery we waved the shop keeper a cheerful good morning before taking our usual seats by the window. The shop keeper’s son, Isaac, walked up to my table with a steaming mug in his hand, “Hay Roslyn, what will it be, the usual I hope?” He smiled so fervently at me that I vaguely wonder if I had a knot or loose strand sticking out of my ponytail. Brushing a hand to my hair, checking quickly, nope that was not it.

“Yep,” I responded, popping my lips on the word, returning his smile. Taking our seats at a table by the window Isaac reappears with my coffee. I gestured for him to put the coffee down. "Thank you, Isaac.”

Pulling the mug towards me I noticed that his cheeks turned pink, “I’ll just go get your order from the kitchen, be back soon,” he shrugged, hurrying through the kitchen doors.

Looking out of the weather-beaten window I watched the city wake up. Bright ochre lights lit the surrounding shops, the buttercup yellow glow reflected softly against the glass. The scene looked like it came straight out of a story book. How was this city so beautiful? The burning heat of the ceramic thawed my frozen fingertips. I should probably have worn gloves. Shrugging off my coat I draped it on the back of William’s chair, and resumed sipping my sweet black coffee, watching people go by.

Settling into an easy conversation, William and I discussed our plans to visit the Library of Atlantis, and the new Fae kingdoms. Although the latter might be difficult given that he was still exiled. Oh, how I had missed the quiet of a bakery. There was no place more peaceful than a bakery, perhaps a library or an art store, but this I thought, this a still a pretty good option. Revelling in the normalcy of it all I sank deeper into my seat. The distant tinkle of a bell and clearing of a voice sounded in the distance, causing my head to snap up.

Dark eyes met mine and in a moment of panic I whipped my head to the side, purposefully looking out of the window.

Ros what’s wrong?William asked, unsure if he should look back.

Li stood in the doorway of the bakery with an auburn-haired woman at his side. While calculating my various escape routes I risked a glance back at Li and his companion. The woman had stepped outside with a steaming cup of something in her hand, but Li remained inside the shop. Dread began to twist in my gut as I saw him walking towards me. A faint rage hammered in my chest, what was he doing here?

Leaning his forearms on the back of the chair he breathed out an unsteady, “hey.” Dressed in an ivory sweater and thick black coat, he almost looked casual. His once tan skin looked paler than I remembered, but in the months since I had seen him, I noticed that the scratch marks that I had given him still ran down his jaw.

Heat lanced across my burning cheeks, the leaves outside matched what I was sure was their ruby hue, red tinted my vision. A deep-seated rage bubbled inside of me. Struggling against my bones to get out. Fire, that was it. Gods, why was it always fire? Fire in the leaves fire in the sky, fire in my blood, and fire in my bones; it was everywhere. Was the world on fire, or was I? I cannot tell anymore.

Shifting uncomfortably in my seat, my mug of coffee sat bitter and unsweetened on the table. Obsidian eyes cut into mine, but I dared to stare back, replying with a hollow, “hey.”


October 17, 2020 03:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Louise Coley
18:18 Oct 22, 2020

Wow! That was a rollercoaster! Everytime I thought I'd got a grip on where things were going, a new element appeared. Bang. Assasins. Bang. Wyverns. Luckily, the characters, the fast pace and flowing writing kept me going when I was confused. I realise now that this is part of an extended universe and that this probably wasn’t the best place to start 😅 I like how you came back to the image of fire several times towards the end to return to the prompt- that made it seem planned, even though you said you were a panster this week! It might have...

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
18:33 Oct 22, 2020

Oh yes, I completely agree that it could have probably used a few more cycles of proofreading, but time! I was running out of time that week and just had to submit it. I am glad that you enjoyed the ready, and for this one, I knew the ending before I knew the beginning; which doesn't usually happen for me. I normally know the beginning and the end, and discover the middle along the way. So with this one, I just wrote and didn't outline or plan, but that mirroring of the fire at the beginning and end was defiantly not planned, just a happy su...

Reply

Louise Coley
20:36 Oct 22, 2020

Ah yes, time is always the enemy 😅 Glad you got it done and submitted though! I'm terrible for wasting time reading everything I have so far every time I start writing and then having to stay up late to finish... The storyline was fun and there are lots of ideas there that I'm curious about (if anything, too many ideas for a short story!). What I saw of the characters I liked, but this seemed more plot/action driven than character driven. If you do a sequel I'd be interested to see more of the character dynamics. It feels like you've spent ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:53 Oct 22, 2020

This story is amazing! The depth of the world, narrative, descriptions and characters are all beautiful! There was so much going on beneath the surface, like this was a fragment of a much bigger story, but this never left me in confusion over what was happening. Well done!

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
17:59 Oct 22, 2020

Thank you so much for the read, what was your favourite part? Was there anything that you wanted more or less of? Also yes, the ending of this story pulls from the aftermath of Li and Roslyn’s discussion in “A Rose By Any Other Name“. If your curious as to why they went from family friends to uncomfortable strangers, you should check it out and let me know what you think

Reply

18:28 Oct 22, 2020

I loved how to world unraveled itself here in a way that it could stand as its own story

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
18:36 Oct 22, 2020

Like a longer short story, novella, or book series?

Reply

23:29 Oct 22, 2020

The story you wrote is good because it doesn't need any other set up, it makes sense and is enjoyable just the way it is. I would definitely want to read a longer story too!

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
23:42 Oct 22, 2020

OMG, that means so much to me, thank you. I guess all that's left for me to say is; keep reading and I'll see you in my comments next time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:06 Oct 20, 2020

I'm going to go and give this story a 10/10 :)

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
23:14 Oct 20, 2020

Oh wow, thank you for the read. I am glad that you loved the story, did you have a favorite part?

Reply

B. W.
23:52 Oct 20, 2020

Nope, everything was my favorite ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
20:43 Oct 19, 2020

Wow! What a story! You did a fantastic job with your descriptions! The first lines are what caught my attention and held it to the end. Nice job! You are such an incredible writer!

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
20:50 Oct 19, 2020

Thank you so much! I did somthing new in this story and just left a complete cliff hanger at the ending, what did you think, was it too much? Also what did you think about the characters? The ending of this story pulls from the aftermath of Li and Roslyn’s discussion in “A Rose By Any Other Name“. If you're curious as to why they went from family friends to uncomfortable strangers, you should check it out and let me know what you think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
16:18 Oct 17, 2020

Ashes rained down from the sky, the glittering cinders caught the fading twilight sun.- change the comma to a period or and. Standing on the steps of the Fleurs Séchées ball I watched - comma after ball Standing alongside other horrified aristocrats I - comma after aristocrats From the top of the mountain crest I - comma after crest. Look at all your sentences. When you have a clause before the main sentence, it should end with a comma. Mother of pearl filigree casted glittering rainbows - cast jabberwocky- might want to c...

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
16:51 Oct 17, 2020

Hi Charles, thank you so much for the feedback and grammar notes. Honestly, sometimes the grammar gets lost on me because I exploring plot, character, or the world. What was your favourite part or detail? I'd love to know. BTW it is set in a fantasy world, which is why there is magic, and in it, a Jabberwocky is a type of beast. I made most of your suggested grammar edits, and yes this is a TBC type story because the ending of this story pulls from the aftermath of Li and Roslyn’s discussion in “A Rose By Any Other Name“. You can read th...

Reply

Charles Stucker
17:10 Oct 17, 2020

There's a publisher called "Beneath Ceaseless Skies" (you can easily search for their submission page) who publishes regularly and takes tales of up to 10,000 words. I would recommend making the first submission be something you write specifically for them. Write it. Then read and edit a few days later. Then put into standard manuscript formant and read/edit again. You really want to have as close to zero grammar/spelling errors as possible. Then submit and wait. Keep an eye on the date, because they sometimes lose track (lots of people subm...

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
17:20 Oct 17, 2020

Oh wow, those publishing places sound cool, I’ll check them out in the future. I would love to know what you think of my first story, “And I am a creator at heart“, it’s my first short story and I still love it. Of course you are welcome to read any of my other stories, that one is just my favourite. Also if you think that Roslyn is an interesting character you can find her in other stand-alone stories such as, “Enigmas of the Shadow Sea” and “Auditorium Antics”.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dalyane Deblois
12:58 Oct 17, 2020

Great story Elizabeth! Great universe as always, and if you were worried about the pacing, no worries, I think it's very good! Your descriptions are well written and the action keeps going through the story! The characters are interesting and it definitely feels like there should be a sequel with Li who arrived at the end. Great writing keep going! Few notes though: "From on top the mountain", I think "From the top of the mountain" would be better. "An arrow whizzed through the air, cutting through the air where we once stood." I think you...

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
13:21 Oct 17, 2020

So glad that you enjoyed the read. Did you have a favorite part to detail? Also I hadn’t even noticed the minor crammed things, well spotted, and as to if we see the fallout between Li and Roslyn, we’ll have to see. The ending of this story pulls from the aftermath of Li and Roslyn’s discussion in “A Rose By Any Other Name“. If your curious as to why they went from family friends to uncomfortable strangers, you should check it out and let me know what you think.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
15:58 Oct 17, 2020

I loved how you introduced the assassin and how you describe her arrival in the story! I loved all of it of course, but this moment of the story was great! I figured there must be a past between them and I'll definitely check it out soon, sounds very interesting!;)

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
16:18 Oct 17, 2020

Oh yes, the assassin, I love her too much. She will probably return too, as to when, you’ll just have to keep reading to see. What kind of genre do you think I should try out next?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
16:57 Oct 17, 2020

Great! I think you could definitely try a "haters to lovers" kind of story. Your choice of course, but I think you would do great.

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
17:02 Oct 17, 2020

Oh that’s interesting, I’ll add it to the list. Enemies to lovers is an interesting story, especially when the characters don’t know they’re in love.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.