In the City Of Love

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story about a proposal. ... view prompt

253 comments

Romance

One.

I am in Arizona out for a weekend. I look down and pick at my tangled hair. It touches my lap and looks like there are eggs caught on my locks. Standing in the middle of the Grand Canyon Park, I see a slender man. He looks like he is in his late twenties. His front tooth is chipped. His hair is held back by gel. He takes out a ring, gets down on his knee, and murmurs something. The woman he has knelt before cheers. Yeah, she practically cheers. Ah, they are getting married. The woman is very beautiful. Her hair is blonde. A fairy tale kind of blonde. So blonde that it almost looks silver. She isn’t wearing any makeup, yet she glows. She is dressed in a knee-length black dress. Black. Noah's favorite color.


Two.

I am in New York. This time I see a girl being proposed to right in the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge. She is no older than me. Her hair is a cascade of black curls tumbling down her back. She is wearing a red sleeveless dress. What a daring color. Her lips wear nothing except for the big smile when she sees her boyfriend (or maybe her fiancé) proposing her. Her fiancé/boyfriend is a very tall guy, With shoulder-length hair. Unlike the girl, he is dressed up in nothing formal. Just a black sweatshirt with a pair of army sweatpants. And yeah, a pair of Nike sneakers too. I am very impressed with this guy's idea of a ‘perfect proposal.’ They get to have the epic New York City skyline as their backdrop! New York. Noah' s favorite city.


Three.

I am in Greece. Wandering and wandering in Santorini, I haven’t been able to see any proposal as yet. The sun is going down, and so does the man in front of me, on his knee. He is nervous. Or maybe he isn’t? He smiles and wrings his hand. Then smiles again. The woman he is about to propose is calm as ever. What a beauty she is. Her hazel eyes shine like orbs in the night. She is dressed up in an orange ankle-length dress and white Adidas. Her beautiful dress reflects off the oranges and pinks of the sky which beautifully contrasts the city's stunning white walls. Perfect for a romantic ambiance!


Four.

I am in Rome. Standing in front of the historic site of Colosseum makes me realize just how much I hate the subject of history. So far, I haven’t encountered a couple as yet. I am minding my own business, never even by chance lifting my gaze when suddenly, I bump into an old woman. She is a cute little thing. Her eyes are as small as a bead. The corners of her mouth are slightly turned up. “Hey, young lady. Watcha doin' out here, all alone?” But, before I can answer, she gets dragged into the middle of the place by an equally old man. What an adorable couple they make. Unlike all the couples I saw earlier, he doesn’t get down on his knee, he just holds her hands and says, "Will you marry me?” and suddenly people start to crowd around. Some tearing at the beautiful sight and some cheering all along. Wow, what a spectacle! Witnessing a spectacle. Noah's favorite hobby.


Five.

I am at the Opera House in Sydney. It is almost dusk. The slanting of the setting sun gives an almost warm orange tinge to the sky. As I descend the lane, I approach a man dressed up in the same attire as Charlie Chaplin. He is doing a pantomime: acting without words. He is calling...me? No, it is the woman behind me whom he is addressing. He has a red rose in his hand. He acts weirdly, yet every action of his is crystal clear. He raises his hand, makes a pleading motion, and then gets down on his knee. The woman is at a loss of words. She is dumbfounded at the sight. Her face is damp with tears. Quickly, she nods her head and the man puts on the ring in her right hand's third finger. Isn't the ring supposed to be in the third finger? Sighing, I leave the sight because this woman is not me and the man is not Noah, either.


Six.

I am in Italy standing amongst the Venetian Gothic architecture, and dreamy lampposts lighting up the streets at twilight. No wonder this is just another choice of another couple. The proposal has already been done. I'm near St. Mark’s Square outside the Basilica. I follow the couple through the entrance of the San Giorgio Maggiore church to see them get married on the spot. Douce!


Seven.

I am finally in the City of Love. 

Noah's city. 

Paris.

The seventh year, he had said.

Seven years after my parents' death.

Seven years after his parents' death.

I am back, Noah! Back again.

Where are you?


Above the frenetic city hubbub, the honking taxis, and swarms of pedestrians marching on their missions, the sky is comparatively moving slow. The movement of the clouds is barely perceptible and even the birds wheel in slow lazy arcs. But this juxtaposition is lost on the citizens. No-one even looks up. And suddenly, the sky above is alive, growing at each passing moment, a constantly changing canvas for the world to see: an endless canvas on which colors are tossed upon. Noah. Noah. Noah.


The canvas of darkened colors stretches over my head, gloriously brilliant in the dipping sun. My heart, caged like a bird in my chest, thrums with a strange sort of feeling as I see the clouds vanish into thin wisps and the moon rising in the sky. The ethereal light the budding stars give off reminds me of iridescent, sweeping rainbows; the moment of stunning epiphany when I'd first gazed into Noah's eyes. It was beautiful.


He told to me to wait.

"My lady?"

For seven years.

Noah. Noah. Noah.

But, he never told me why.

"Tris? Oh, come on, Tris."

Why after seven years?

Noah. Noah. Noah.


There he is. Down on his left knee, the handsome Noah. "Beatrice Miller? Will you marry me?" My stomach flips. So, this is how it felt. This is how the black-haired lady must've felt. This is how the old woman must've felt.


I don't know what to do.


So, I just stand till Noah wipes my tears.


So, I just stand till Noah inserts the ring on my left hand's fourth finger.


So, I just stand till he envelopes me in his arms.



15 Of The Prettiest Places To Propose









July 12, 2020 10:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

253 comments

Skyler Woods
16:19 Jul 12, 2020

So romantic. I loved the descriptions of the different couples and the exotic locations. I could feel her yearning for love and commitment. It felt like a passionate romance tale with a solid narrative. 💖

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:14 Jul 12, 2020

You can't believe how happy your comment has made me;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexi Delavigne
16:02 Jul 12, 2020

Really sweet story, at first I thought she must’ve had a broken heart or lost love, but then surprise! She gets proposed to. It was a sweet story, I especially liked the format of it and all the locations she visited, I do wonder why though? Why does she go to all those places and why does Noah only propose in the seventh year? And how she even knows Noah. But overall, a fun read.

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:16 Jul 12, 2020

I was trying to venture something different thus, I decided to narrate the story this way. And, I never really think why only the seventh year. I just went away wherever the wind took me. Lol. Thank you so much for liking my story! It means a lot

Reply

Alexi Delavigne
17:31 Jul 12, 2020

I know what you mean by letting the wind take you, sometimes it just feels right even if you don’t know why. It was a good read

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:34 Jul 12, 2020

Thanks once again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R L Brewer
23:48 Jul 12, 2020

Seven is a 'magic' or lucky number in folklore. The seventh son of the seventh son is meant to be a chosen one in some legends.

Reply

Batool Hussain
04:01 Jul 13, 2020

Really? Oh My God, I didn't know that. Thank you Rebecca for telling

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Z
15:57 Jul 12, 2020

Beautiful! I am in love with this story:)

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:17 Jul 12, 2020

Awe, thanks;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
15:36 Jul 12, 2020

I liked the way how the scenes kept changing. Beautiful story with great descriptions.

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:41 Jul 12, 2020

Thank you. It means so much! Please give it a like if you enjoyed(Don't mind)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
15:35 Jul 12, 2020

A sweet and heartwarming story! The scenes gel together well to end in Noah's and Tris' climax. Very, very well-written!

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:38 Jul 12, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nandan Prasad
15:33 Jul 12, 2020

What a sweet and heartwarming story! The scenes gel together so well to prepare for Noah's climax. Very, very well-written!

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:38 Jul 12, 2020

Thank you so very much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amith Shaju
15:03 Jul 12, 2020

Loved it. The different settings, flood of emotions and the finale! It had a romantic charm. Well done. Happy writing ☺👍

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:22 Jul 12, 2020

Thank you! If you don't mind please give it a like:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ella Kinnett
14:52 Jul 12, 2020

Wonderful story! Very well done!

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:23 Jul 12, 2020

Thanks! If you don't mind please give it a like:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
P. Jean
14:02 Jul 12, 2020

How exciting to read a real writer. A few places did not flow perfectly but it was a joy to read this story. I must read more of your work!

Reply

Batool Hussain
14:07 Jul 12, 2020

Thank you so very much, Jean! I would be grateful if you could you specify some places!

Reply

P. Jean
17:49 Jul 12, 2020

It took me a few seconds to realize your description of the sky in Paris was the beginning if night?

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:50 Jul 12, 2020

Umm...yes. It is?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelechi Okereke
21:35 Jul 22, 2020

Really nice. I love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mackenzie Meetz
19:25 Jul 22, 2020

What a beautiful story. Romantic and heart felt, but not cheesy. Strong, but not overwhelming. Very well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Phebe Emmanuel
19:10 Jul 21, 2020

This is so good! I love how she keeps drawing connections to everyone else's and wonders why it hasn't happened to her yet, how it must feel. This really digs deep!

Reply

Batool Hussain
19:21 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you so much! If you don't mind, please give it a like;) Thanks.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
19:39 Jul 21, 2020

Yeah, sure! Sorry, I must have forgetten!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
19:48 Jul 21, 2020

Oh, actually, I did! LOL :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:50 Jul 21, 2020

I really liked the structure and the descriptions, great job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Iona Cottle
00:02 Jul 24, 2020

A sweet little story, well done :)

Reply

Batool Hussain
05:28 Jul 24, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
07:52 Jul 22, 2020

Such a smooth flow. I loved the story. Waiting for more of your stories.

Reply

Batool Hussain
08:02 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cypress Grey
19:51 Jul 24, 2020

Such a cute story! Short and sweet :)

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:36 Jul 25, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Cypress Grey
16:50 Jul 26, 2020

would you mind checking out my newest story "A New Beginning"? it just got approved

Reply

Batool Hussain
06:09 Jul 27, 2020

Sure! I'll do so in a while:)

Reply

Cypress Grey
11:39 Jul 27, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Miss Tee
15:27 Jul 24, 2020

I was afraid Noah was never going to propose to her, and I was very happy he finally did, Beautiful Story Keep up the good work

Reply

Batool Hussain
15:36 Jul 25, 2020

Thank youu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Judith Buskohl
20:43 Jul 21, 2020

I could feel your feeling as you wandered around and saw the world through love. I was impressed with your story as well as your writing.

Reply

Batool Hussain
03:20 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hafsha Rashid
12:06 Aug 16, 2020

Would u help me writing a story for a contest. like i want to write mixing up prompts. not here. but I have a contest at school. I need your help please . the matter that is just freaking me is i have to write in 500 words. plz i would be very very very very grateful if u help. i was thinking of mixing prompts.. like the starring the stars hard to say goodbye and many others.

Reply

Batool Hussain
12:53 Aug 16, 2020

Okay sure! What do u need help with?

Reply

Hafsha Rashid
14:51 Aug 16, 2020

I have found nothing .... Will u share me any ideas. ?? Like what could happen in my story.. How can i make it more amazing? How can i start or end. How does the main storyline be improved. ???

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:30 Aug 16, 2020

What is it about? I mean what is the topic that u want to write on? Tell it to me and maybe I could help u with it;)

Reply

Hafsha Rashid
03:52 Aug 17, 2020

I want to write something not romantic and also very meaningful. Like BASED ON LIFE ? Or something Fantasy mixed with some sprinkles of romance and thriller. SciFi? I cannot just continue after starting actually i got startings and ending but no middle i mean the 'main portion' i don't know how to deal with that.

Reply

Hafsha Rashid
03:54 Aug 17, 2020

The deadline is on 20 of this month.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.