31 comments

Drama Romance Sad

Every birthday candle, every loose eyelash, every star, every single 11:11 has been wasted on you. I just want to see you again. You don’t deserve it. It’s just practically muscle memory now. I clench my fist and hold my breath and just wish.

I check the time before I go to bed and it’s 11:10.

One blink later it’s 11:11.

I turn out the lights, lie down, and close my hand tight. 


~


I dream about your face. We’re yelling at each other, but I can’t hear you or me and it’s just angry faces and thick tension in the air. It’s hazy like all dreams are, but I can see your face so clearly I think it’s real. 

You’re closing your eyes now and then finally I hear you. 

I can’t do this anymore.

And then you’re gone. 


~


I find a penny on the way to work, wedged between a sidewalk crack. It’s so dirty it’s green, but I press my lips to it anyway, closing my eyes for a fraction of a second. 

I stuff it in the already overfilled pocket of my jeans before standing up again, returning to the reality of life. 

I walk into work slowly, imagining my footsteps echoing for eternity. Nobody hears me come in over their thoughts though. My office is small and still undecorated. 

I put the penny on the desk and cross another day off my calendar before walking, slowly again, to the break room to grab a coffee. 

Bitter and black (like myself).


~


It’s still sunny when I walk outside again, and I breathe in the fresh air like I’ll never breathe it again. 

I’m humming when your face is suddenly in my line of vision. I blink twice. 

It’s not like you’re dead, but wishes aren’t supposed to come true. 

I walk towards you slowly. 

(Just to see if you’re real.) 

You are. 

We just about bump into each other, but you stop when you see me, as if you were looking for me.

You’re talking, but just like my dream, I can’t hear you. 

Unlike my dream, I don’t reply. 

Unlike my dream, you’re talking softly. 

My hand moves before I do, and it touches your face. 

Your words stop and so does my heart. 

I stroke your cheek with my thumb for a moment. 

My arm flies back to my side where it belongs. I blink again, and my heartbeat resumes. You inhale sharply. 

How are you?

I don’t answer. How can I?

How am I? How can I even be without you?

I shake my head slowly. 

Where’d you go? I whisper it so soft, I almost think you can’t hear me. You open your mouth and close it again about a million times, give or take. You look so sad I almost want to hug you. 

Almost.

I’m-

Sorry? I cut you off. You always hated when I did that. It doesn’t matter what you hate though, does it?

You swallow and then you nod. I swallow too, but I tilt my head instead of nodding. 

You pull me into a hug and I hate myself because I don’t pull away. I let you hold me for a second, unmoving and almost not even breathing. You pull away. 

All the words in the world combined couldn’t describe your eyes as they’re on me right now, and all the broken things in the world could never compare to my heart. 

I reach out to you again, just one more time. 

(Are you still real?)

You don’t fade away. 


~


It’s three days before I find something else to wish on- a small perfect ladybug crawling on the door handle. My fingers pause midair before I turn it. I don’t even know what to wish for anymore.

I make sure to open the door without touching the ladybug, and I hope someone else gets their wish, and I hope it comes true, and I hope it isn’t as disappointing as it was for me. 

I hope, not wish.

I’m done with wishing. 


~


I see you again at the end of a workday, and you’re sitting on a bench right outside. I trip on untied shoelaces, and you stumble up to catch me quickly. I push your arms away. 

Your eyes plead to me and the whole world shakes. 

 I miss you are the words written plain in my heart but You should go is what comes through my lips. 

You let go of my shoulders that I didn’t even realize you were still holding, and you leave. 

And suddenly I’m cold. 


~


It feels like every time I happen to look at the clock it’s 11:11 and every time I look out into the night sky there are shooting stars waiting to be wished on. I do the same thing every time. I close the blinds, I look away, and I wait for it to pass. 


~


I fall again as I walk out of work, and you aren’t there to catch me this time. I fall a little hard on the pavement, but I stop the fall with my hands. It stings. 

The pain is lost in my head though, because I’m eye to eye with a penny so dirty it’s green. I pick it up and turn it over in my fingers, sitting up on the ground.

I look at the skin of my hands, scarred now with little dots of red. 

And suddenly I know why they call it f

                                                                   a                                                 

                                                                       l

                                                                          l

                                                                            i

                                                                              n

                                                                                g

                                                                                     in love. It’s because it leaves bruises and scratches that might never heal. It’s because it leaves little imprints of memories and moments in your soul that’ll never go away. 

I get up and stuff the penny in my already overfilled pocket, close my eyes, and wish to forget.


July 17, 2021 02:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Zatoichi Mifune
21:35 Jun 24, 2023

I don't usually go in for romance. In fact, it ordinarily makes me feel almost sick to be honest. But - Well this is obviously different. I'm here, aren't I? Sad and sweet and beautiful. I love the 'falling' but especially. Wonderful visual poetry.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Niveeidha Palani
07:59 Jul 30, 2021

Haha, still remember me? It's been long. Don't mind me, just connecting back to old friends. Feels good, :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:50 Jul 30, 2021

Of course I do! :D

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
03:27 Jul 31, 2021

:))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
17:15 Jul 29, 2021

Amany, you write feelings so well T-T I loved every part of it, from the 11:11 (I still make wishes at that time, haha), all the different ways to wish, to the way you wrote the word falling-it gave me a second to really reflect on what I had read so far!!~ And the wish to forget at the end was the perfect conclusion to this magical piece :)) Definitely a story I'll never forget, amazing job~!!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:49 Jul 30, 2021

Aww, thank you so much! (guilty as well :) I'm so happy you liked it, thanks!

Reply

Laiba M
16:13 Jul 30, 2021

No need to thank me, thank YOU for the lovely story~!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:27 Jul 27, 2021

Hey Amany! This was such a touchingly sad story! I really liked it! It was so simple but heartbreaking! I really loved this sentence " It’s because it leaves bruises and scratches that might never heal. It’s because it leaves little imprints of memories and moments in your soul that’ll never go away. " Because its so true! I hope everything is well with you! Have a good day!

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:30 Jul 28, 2021

Thank you so much! You too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
16:07 Jul 26, 2021

Oop I thought I left feedback- -wow. so gentle, sweet and y'know slow - I loved the falling idea, it was so nice -and the 11:11 kinda thing? Brought back memories -i loved all the incorporation of things you wish on - *wow*

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:49 Jul 28, 2021

Aw, thanks Sia! The ladybug was a tough one, I wanted to look for one that wasn't overused.

Reply

Sia S
16:16 Jul 28, 2021

:) I'm sure it was :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chloe B
20:37 Jul 25, 2021

I loved this story/poem! The ending tied everything together really nicely, and I loved the way you described falling in love. I will always think of this story when I hear that phrase :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:49 Jul 28, 2021

Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eliza Entwistle
18:00 Jul 25, 2021

I loved this story! Your writing flowed so well, and there was a beautiful poetic sense woven in with the sad parts. Sometimes the use of parentheses can make writing seem choppy, but in this story it was perfect. Well done

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:50 Jul 28, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna Chen
18:19 Jul 24, 2021

Wow this is so beautifully written! The prose is so gentle and understated in an elegant way.

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:11 Jul 25, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Triniti Brown
16:39 Jul 24, 2021

I LOVED this story. It feels so poetic and beautifully tragic. Can't wait to read more from you.

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:12 Jul 25, 2021

Aw, thanks, that's so sweet! I actually have a couple stories on here already with similar styles, let me know if you want the links :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Everett Silvers
22:49 Jul 17, 2021

This is beautiful Amany, sad, but beautiful. You use words brilliantly, and provide a certain air of mystery to the whole thing. I love it, good work! :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:11 Jul 25, 2021

Aw, thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Neomi Shah
17:53 Jul 17, 2021

This story gives just the perfect amount of information to the reader and leaves off with questions and curiosity but it doesn't feel like loose ends. Great job!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:24 Jul 17, 2021

This is such high praise, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
16:10 Jul 17, 2021

ohhhhhhh this was a good one- there's something so interesting about a story that is told in first person but almost feels like it's in 2nd? (kind of like what aerin said) the lack of dialougue was a cool choice too. i think it worked for what you were trying to show good job amany

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:44 Jul 17, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:35 Jul 17, 2021

Yeeeee I love stories like this! The kinda poetic ones, choppy with imagery, pretty and simple. Very sweet <3 I love the last line and the vague 1st-person POV that made it seem more like 2nd person. Great job! :D

Reply

Amany Sayed
17:44 Jul 17, 2021

Aw, thanks Aerin! I was a bit iffy about the whole format, but that is what I was going for. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
10:59 Jan 18, 2024

It was depressing but beautiful. Every part contained an emotion which hooked me till the end. :))

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:23 Jan 25, 2024

Thank you so much ^-^

Reply

Amel Parvez
14:16 Jan 25, 2024

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.