0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Fiction

Johannes gazed out the window, the glare of his eyes penetrating through the thick veil of snowfall. He held his hands behind his back which pushed his chest outwards, giving him the appearance of being larger than he actually was.

His eyes remained still, as though he were locked in a daydream, but his mind was alert, scanning for anything out of the ordinary. Nothing had come for days, but this only made him more conscious. He knew that their enemies would not give up, they were far too stubborn for that. Instead, they would be plotting, growing, training for their next attack, and he had to be ready for them.

“Yo, Johan! Has it stopped snowing, yet?” Johannes turned to see Luke with his usual playful grin and his open palms out by his sides in jest.

“Hmph, very funny,” Johaness replies, his eyes rolling into his skull.

“You ought to lighten up, Johan. Trust your people. There are hundreds of eyes keeping watch, do you really think you will spot something that all of them missed?”

Johaness’ shoulders tightened and loosened as he took a deep breath. “It’s just… I feel an attack is imminent, and I should be there when it happens”

“And you will be. But you need to trust your people. They are there for a reason”

Johannes said nothing for a while, gathering his thoughts and breathing in the silence. “Yes, you’re right,” he said and turned to face Luke. Johannes let a smile fall on his face, not quite parting his lips, and said: “It’s good to see you again”.

“Yes, you too. It may surprise you to hear this, but I could have done with your help out there. We lost a lot of good men”. Luke’s face glazed over and both men knew the pain behind his eyes without needing to show it, instead remaining silent in solidarity.

“I was sorry to hear about your father, Johan,” Luke said, to fill the silence.

“I know. But I don’t have time to think about it right now. I have to focus on finding a way to fill his shoes. Everyone’s eyes are constantly on me, waiting to see what kind of leader I’m going to be”

“You worry too much, Johan. You worry so much about the past and the future that you lose sight of the present. And yet, it is what we do in the present that will become the future and then our past”

“When did you become so wise?”

“I’ve always been wise. I just don’t want you lot stealing all my wisdom, so I keep most of it in here for when I need it,” he said, tapping his index fingers against his forehead.

Johannes raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “Hmm, I’ll have to take your word for that. Anyway, I ought to be getting on, I have some business I need to attend to”. They both clapped their hands together in a handshake and patted the others’ shoulder in camaraderie.

Johannes made his way down the cold stone steps, the thumping of his boots echoing against the walls and the sound seemed to fill the entire castle. When he reached the bottom, he made his way down the hallway and entered through a large wooden door into a long room with an oval table directly at its centre which filled almost the entirety of the room. 

He wasn’t sure what was more intimidating, the portraits of his ancestors all staring down at him in judgment, or the guards around the table looking up at him expectantly. All these stares made the room shrink as the edges of his vision became a blur.

He stood at the nearest end of the table and placed his open palms flat on it. He shifted a hard stare across each of the guards. He knew that while intelligence and cunning were what won battles, it was strength and courage that won respect from soldiers, and without their respect, he would not be the one to lead them into battle.

“Sarge. Your report, please”

“Of course, Sir. There has been some… Unease among some of the civilians. We have kept things calm for now, but these people are growing impatient. Desperate. They know we are short on food, but no one wants to be the one to go without, and those manning the market stalls are getting worried about the possibility of violence against them”

“I assume we reminded them that three meals a day will be guaranteed should the join us in battle?”

“Of course, Sir. That’s largely what stops people causing trouble. They want food, but they are not willing to fight for it. They’re cowards”

“That doesn’t make them cowards. Afraid, maybe, but not cowards. Rather, those who join us in battle are extremely brave men and women, and we are very lucky to have them. But I cannot begrudge those who choose not to do so”

There was a moment of silence and Johannes could not tell whether Sarge was bubbling with rage, or shrinking with shame. Eventually, Sarge broke the silence and said “Of course, Sir. I meant no offence. It is just frustrating. These people won’t fight for their land but expect their land to give to them. While we’re out here, risking our lives for their freedom.”

“I appreciate that, and I thank you for your services. I am just keen to avoid an us versus them attitude. We can’t win battles out there while we’re losing battles at home. Now, is there anything else?”

“Other than the usual from Prophecy Pete, no”. This brought a few quiet chuckles from around the table, testing the waters on whether this was something they could laugh at.

Johannes tutted and dragged his palm down his eyes before asking “What’s he saying this time?”

“It’s about you this time, Sir. He’s telling everyone that you’re going to walk across the ice”.

“Well, Sir? When are you walking across the ice? You could be our very own version of Jesus,” Tony joked with a hoarse laugh. 

“Very funny. We all know no one’s going to be crossing the ice any time soon. Jack, any news from your sources?”

“Yes, sir. An attack will be taking place tomorrow, around 5am so it’s still dark. I have told half of our force to rest in readiness”

“You know that they’re attacking? Or you believe that they’re attacking?”

“Sir, the information came from my most trusted informer. His information is just as good as knowing that an attack is going to come”

“Except, it isn’t. For all we know, he could have been caught, kidnapped and tortured. Or feeding back false information, planted by someone to mislead us. We cannot get complacent, no matter how good your source is. I want those told to rest brought back into action”

“Sir, they need a rest. You’re going to burn them into the ground over the off chance that the information, which has never been wrong before, might this one time be wrong”. All eyes were now on the table, too awkward to look either man in the eye.

Johannes’ voice deepened, rising to the challenge. “And if we get it wrong? If we get complacent and people die? What good is rest when our people are dead?”

Jack shot up to his feet, jabbing his finger at the table. “With respect, Sir, this is solid information from a trusted source. What’s the point of having an informant if we’re not even going to listen to whatever the bloody-hell he has to say?”

“I am listening, Jack. We will keep his words in mind, but we can’t risk putting everything on this. I want our people back on duty. If you won’t do it, then I’ll do it myself”

“This is bloody ridiculous. You can’t just-” Jack was cut-off by the door being swung open. Johannes darted his gaze towards the door to see Luke. Before Luke had even spoken, Johanness knew exactly what the message would be.

“Sir, they’re coming. An attack is coming”

Instincts kicked in without the need for words, their discussion inconsequential. Luke stood to one side to allow Johannes through and followed close behind, while the rest of the guards followed.  When they exited the castle, they scattered to their respective positions.

Johaness stood among the scurrying of soldiers, standing in the eye of the hurricane while everything spun around him. He looked at this icy hills in the distance and saw the enemy army making their way over, revealing two lines of 2-foot green gremlins. Just behind were ogres who towered over the gremlins, looking like humans who were far too tall to form properly. Finally, at the back, were rows of archers, barely visible between the gaps, though Johannes knew that, despite their size, they were just as vicious as the rest.

“Luke, I want your men to gather as many cannons as they can and line them up”

“But Sir, my men are ready to fight”

“I know they are, but we’re short on men and, quite frankly, there’s no point having your men on the front line if we don’t take the ogres down first. Your men are tough, but they’ll get wiped out instantly. I need your men to take down the ogres, and then make their charge”

“Got it”. With this, Luke ran off to give his men the command and they obeyed without explanation.

“Jack!” Johannes screamed over the noise, “I want your archers in two advancing turtle formations. They’ve doubled their archers from last time, I’ll need your men to distract some of their firepower until Luke’s men can get close enough to hit them”

“Yes, sir!” Jack called back.

Johannes felt the twitch of his muscles, urging him to join his men, to brandish his sword and storm ahead. This would be the first battle in which he’d be forced to watch from the rear and tt pained him, but he knew he had to stand back and lead his men.

The enemy army had now reached the bottom of the hill, onto the flat-land of the battlefield, almost within range. He counted under his breath “three… two… one…” and, as though he had telepathically communicated his message, the firing of cannons commenced. A few wayward shots took out some archers and gremlins. But the other shots collided perfectly with the ogres’ skulls as they fell heavily to the ground, taking a few gremlins out with them.

He watched them calmly reload their cannons, and they took out the remaining ogres. The gremlins had already made good ground, some of them already halfway down the battlefield while his men stumbled from the cannons and got themselves arranged ready to begin their charge. The enemy archers had played it safe, remaining a long way down the battlefield, but still close enough to fire their arrows.

Johannes took out his radio and speaking to Luke and Jack said “lads, change of plan. The archers are too far back. Luke, let the gremlins get closer, out of the archer’s reach. Then I need your men to kill quickly without mercy before enemy archers can get back in range. Then retreat back and Jack’s men will take care of the rest”

“Yes, Sir,” they responded, and he watched nervously,. He knew that timing was crucial. Luke’s men waited. And waited. He could feel his chest screaming out, rebelling against the very idea of waiting during battle.

Finally, Luke issued with command, screaming “charge!”, at which his men obeyed without hesitation, as though the anticipation of his had become too much. Luke’s men were brutally efficient, their wits proving far superior to their opponents’ brute force. Some men clashed swords together with their opposite number, rendering them defenceless, while his fellow soldier to his right dodged the enemy’s attack an stuck a sword into the side of the now defenceless opponent. This opened allowed both to turn to a 2-on-1. The gremlins stood no chance, and their bodies fell to the floor almost like dominos.

As commanded, Luke’s men retreated back, allowing Jack’s men to step in. They advanced slowly using the advancing turtle technique, whereby the men at the front shielded them from a front-on attack, while the rows in behind alternated between shielding above their heads, and firing arrows. So rows 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 would fire arrows while the other rows held shields above their heads, and vice-versa.

Luke watched smugly, knowing that the battle was already won, and with very few casualties. His first battle in command had been a great success. But his grin swiftly dropped when a deep howl came from the top of the hills, a brief gust of wind pushing his coat back and threatened to lift his feet off the ground.

“I, Srikar, demand an emperor’s duel!”. Johannes looked to the top of the hill to see a tall creature, mostly covered in a black and dark purple gown, only revealing a long bug-like face with large black eyes. While the gown made it difficult to judge, the creature appeared bulky, and looked almost twice his height.

Johannes had not anticipated the calling of an emperor’s duel. He now wondered how he did not. They would not have dared challenge his father to the same. He was known to be strong, fierce. Only a fool would challenge him. Johannes, however, was unchallenged. People stay far away from low odds, and yet they love unknown odds, the lack of odds drawing them into the challenge.

He knew that, if we were to reject, his men would stand by him and continue to fight. But their enemies would see him as weak, and see more reason to attack. He knew he only had one true option. “I accept your challenge”.

“Ah, but do you accept the grounds?”

“What are the grounds?”

“The battle shall take place alongside the frozen river. Whoever loses the battle is to be thrown into the river, at the mercy of all the beasts that lie underneath”. Quiet gasps sounded through the snow, their murmurs becoming quiet vibrations around him.

“I accept your grounds”

They both, followed by their men, marched round the castle until they were at the side with the frozen river.

Each man drew their blade, but Johannes was almost caught off guard by the almost immediate charge of Srikar, and could only raise his sword in a block. He knew he was already at a disadvantage, having forgotten his father’s first lesson - “Never let your guard down”.

Their swords clanged overhead, and Johannes regained himself, launching the bottom of his boot into Srikar’s stomach. Srikar stumbled slightly and chuckled before marching back towards Johannes. He swung his sword at Johaness’ right. Johannes blocked, and dodged Srikar’s swipe of his left foot. Srikar then jabbed with his sword, catching Johaness’ shoulder leaving a small scratch.

Despite the scratch, Johannes saw his opportunity. Srikar had left himself open, and he pulled his arm back, before launching his weight in behind the sword. But just as his sword was about to penetrate Srikar, he was launched aside, landing just inches away from the frozen river. He looked back up to see an ogre that had somehow lived and snuck around the castle.

“One should never intervene in an emperor’s duel!” Johannes shouted.

“Well, what does it matter if you are dead,” Srikar laughed and approached towards him alongside the ogre. Johannes had nowhere to go. He knew he could not take an ogre, and yet the ice behind him would mean an even worse fate. And yet, there was a beating of drums coming from within the ice, calling him in.

He turned to face the ice. He stared down into the water, thinking of all its beasts that would devour him in an instant. “Come on, Johannes. We both know you’re not going to jump. You are going to die to my hand”. But Johannes was not listening. He did not turn around. 

He felt his foot lift off the ground, without being entirely sure that he was in control of it. He took a deep breath, the drumming loud in his ears, replacing his heart which was now still. His foot lowered down onto the ice… Nothing. He took another step, and a few steps more until he was in the middle of the frozen river. 

He turned to see Srikar, a look of disbelief on his face. He saw his people pointing, silent, before cheering. They knew that today was a new day. A day where whole new worlds would be unlocked. But most of all, there was hope. Hope for what lay across the ice. They imagined paradise, freedom, utopia.

The cheering was cut short by the charging of the ogre. Despite his size, he moved quickly. But Johannes stayed where he was. The moment the ogre’s foot touched the ice, it fell straight through, its growls cut off by a crunch as it was demolished by some beast below, and the gap left by the ogre immediately froze back over.

“Well, err… I think I’d better get going,” said Srikar, with worry on his face for the first time. But as he went to turn, a sword pierced through his back and out his chest, as Luke whispered menacingly in his ear “You’re not going anywhere, mate”.

People resumed their cheering, and that night they held a feast for their soldiers. But this was not a celebration for the past, not for another battle won. This was a celebration of new beginnings. The first steps had been taken on the ice, and there would be many more. And Johannes raised a glass to Prophecy Pete, and to new lands to be explored, and his men responded with a chorus of “Cheers”.

January 22, 2021 22:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.