Radiate: Part 3 (School of Zombies)

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story that features zombies.... view prompt

14 comments

Science Fiction Fantasy Adventure

Hi everyone! This is Part 3 to my series, Radiate! You can read this part alone if you would like, but the storyline would make more sense if you read the other two parts! This story might also feel rushed because I was writing this in-between my classes. I hope you enjoy!

~~~

"Zombies!" I say. What did Allister put in that potion? I wondered, as the zombies kept coming closer and closer.

"Well, your problem now!" yelled the bully. He ran through the zombies and into the school. Allister grabbed another potion and drank it, this time disappearing into thin air.

"Oh come on!" said Jordan. We start blasting at the zombies with our newly-found magic.

~~~

"I can't believe we're here!" said Kat. Magic Academy was at least a seven-story school, with high, crystal walls and ceiling. The roof was made of white marble, the towers looking like something from a fairy-tale castle. The yard was pristine, the hedges cut to perfection. The grass was greener than normal, trimmed such a way that not a blade of grass was a different size than the others.

"Believe it!" said Jordan.

"Uh, guys" I said, "We're not alone!" There were other kids our age, all of different skin, race, and religion, united under one school. I look inside the school and see students blasting spells at each other! How cool could this school be?

"Welcome to Magic Academy," said a voice. I turn around to see a tall woman, with brown hair tied into a bun, wearing a flowy, white dress, and white flats, "Where you will learn to control your magic. We only take the best of the best, only three kids per state in the US. I am your principal, Headmaster Gonzalez. We will call by state. Washington." Two boys and one girl stepped up. The headmaster handed each of them a scroll case, and the three of them walked inside with a staff member. The same procedure continued until all states were called.

"New York." said Headmaster Gonzalez. Kat, Jordan, and I walk up the steps. She hands each of us a different school case, matching our magic aura. I grab my purple case, and follow the staff-member with my friends.

The school was amazing! The walls were made of crystals, and the high ceilings were stunning. Where there weren't walls were windows or tapestries, with photos of famous mages and wizards. We walk down the hall, and go up three floors.

"How many... steps... are there..." I pant.

"I... don't... know..." Jordan wheezed.

Five minutes later, we reached the top of the stairs and had walked down a long hallway, filled with several doors, with students' names labeled on the doors.

Eventually, we stop at a golden door, labeled, "Kat, Jordan, Brooklyn."

"Your dorm room," said the staff member. We all thank him, and open the doors and head into the room.

"EEEEEE!!" squeals Kat. The dorm room had a mini fountain, hanging vines, a literal tree, and so much more! There were pillows and blankets all over! There were three doors labeled each of our names.

I rush over to my room, and open the golden door. Inside was a lavender bed, with shelves filled with books. I had a desk with a laptop on it, my luggage right by my bed, and even a wardrobe! I rush to my luggage, and unpack my things...

~~~

"Okay... my first period is History, second period, Math, third period, Alchemy, fourth period, Magic Control, sixth period, Magical Animals," I tell Kat and Jordan. We had put on our uniforms, black career jacket, a white shirt, a black skirt, white tights, and black shoes. Our jacket had the school symbol on it.

"I have the same schedule!" said Jordan.

"Me too!" said Kat.

"We all have the same classes!" I squeal.

"We should head to History, let's get our books!" said Kat.

"Agreed." said Jordan. I rush to my desk and grab my history book. I wait for Kat and Jordan outside, and we head off to our classes.

~~~

History and Math was easy. We just had to read Chapter 1, and do some algebra.. nothing too exciting. We all head to Alchemy, the most exciting part in my day. Kat had forgotten her book, so Jordan went with her to go get it. So that left me walking to class alone.

As I walk, something hits me and knocks me over. I look up to find a boy my age, with chocolate hair, and gray eyes.

"Oh, sorry!" he says. He holds his hand towards me. I grab it, and he helps me up. I kneel down to help pick up his books.

"By the way, I'm Allister."

"Brook." I say, handing him his books.

"Well, nice meeting you, Brook." he runs into the classroom. What a strange boy....

~~~

"Okay class, today we're going to complete a very small spell, a growing potion! We'll test it on these flowers we have in the front of the class." said our teacher, Mr. Hamlin, "The spell is on page 12. All the ingredients are up front. Begin!"

I open my book to page 12 and read the instructions...

GROWING POTION

Simplicity: 1

BEST USED FOR: Plants.

Ingredients:

~Strand of Hair of a Giant

~2 cups of water

~A Lily pad from Giant Kingdom

~Anderson Petal

Anderson Petal? I wonder, Probably a different Anderson found that. Couldn't have been my family. I go up to the front and look at the table. All kinds of things were here! From Unicorn Hair, to Monsters' Talon, to Flowers, there were several ingredients labeled. I grab the first vial of petals I see and it read, Death Petals. Not what I'm looking for.

I grab my ingredients and head to my desk. There was a small cauldron to mix all the ingredients together! How cool was that?

I put in all my ingredients, and mix everything together gently. After mixing it for a few seconds, the liquid turns into a teal color, signaling that it was ready. I pour the liquid out into a tube, and cork it up. I put it into my pocket, and head for lunch.

~~~

Lunch is the worst thing ever invented. You stuff a whole bunch of hungry kids with food and trash, you get chaos. It's loud with students yelling across the tables about random stuff to each other.

I walked in with my lunch (a burrito, lemonade, and some strawberries) and sat down at an empty table. Shortly after, Kat and Jordan sit with me.

"Alchemy was so fun!" said Kat excitedly, "I loved just mixing the potions together! I showed Mr. Hamlin my potion, he said it was perfect!"

"Help me, I've dealt with this monster all day," Jordan whispered to my ear. I laughed with Jordan and Kat (Jordan's whispers weren't exactly quiet.)

~~~

"Welcome to Magic Control, class!" said our teacher, Mrs. Whittle, "Your magic should have been unlocked before coming to this school, so we can start with the exciting stuff!" Everyone titters, "Try to learn how to use your magic!" A shrill ring filled our ears, as we tried to use our magic.

It wasn't too hard, you just have to focus and concentrate on sending out a blast of magic. Everyone nailed it in ten minutes.

~~~

"I love the classes we have! They're so fun!" I said, cheerfully.

We turn around the corner to see two boys, our age, standing over Allister, who was holding a vial, containing a green liquid inside.

"What 'cha gonna do, cry?" asked the first kid. He had blonde hair, blue eyes, and had a menacing stance.

"Hey!" I shouted, "What's going on?"

"Nothing, princess. I'm just teaching this guys here a well-deserved lesson." he said. He pushed Allister over, knocking the vial out of Allister's hands. The vial smashes into tiny shards of glass.

All of a sudden, the ground starts to shake.. more and more, until the floor starts to break! The tower breaks apart, and we all start to fall.

Down, down, down, until Allister took out another vial and smashed it to the ground, creating a magical trampoline. We all fall onto the trampoline, holding our breath. After a few minutes of groaning, we all get up, only to find the groaning not from us.

"Zombies!" I say. What did Allister put in that potion? I wondered, as the zombies kept coming closer and closer.

"Well, your problem now!" yelled the bully. He ran through the zombies and into the school. Allister grabbed another potion and drank it, this time disappearing into thin air.

"Oh come on!" said Jordan. We start blasting at the zombies with our newly-found magic.

"Stupid zombies!" I yell, blasting one with my magic. Kat, Jordan, and were back to back, fighting them off one by one, until we were pushed to a corner, forced to surrender...

September 24, 2020 20:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
02:57 Apr 12, 2021

enjoying this series soooo much! one thing bugged me...mostly this sentence: "my first period is History, second period, Math, third period, Alchemy, fourth period, Magic Control, sixth period, Magical Animals," Okay, so...tHeRe Is No FiFtH pErIoD idk why that bugs me so much. It is also never mentioned in the story so...

Reply

oH nOeS i need to fix that- my hands couldn't keep up with my brain again LOL

Reply

TJ Squared
03:01 Apr 12, 2021

lol, that should be a hashtag, something like #myhandscanttypeasfastasmybrainwantsthemto idk...something like that lol

Reply

XD, might use that ;)

Reply

TJ Squared
03:08 Apr 12, 2021

hm...yeah...saw your bio...kinda made my day Maddie (wink wink)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
15:39 Sep 25, 2020

Part 4 :) and this was really good and i enjoyed it ^^ 10/10.

Reply

Thank you! There's a prompt that I have to use for the storyline! It's perfect! (Part 4 is gonna come REALLY soon)

Reply

B. W.
16:30 Sep 25, 2020

No problem ^^ and great, tell me when it comes out then. could ya maybe check out "Betrayed" and leave some feedback?

Reply

Ofc! I'd be happy to!

Reply

B. W.
16:54 Sep 25, 2020

Thanks ^^ remember to leave some feedback, i'd love to see what you think

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.