43 comments

Fiction Speculative

To those who believed that technology would inevitably rule the world, I am living proof that it did. 

Ruled the world.

Took over the world.

Encircled the world. 

Replaced the world. 

And I am one of the last people who matter in the workforce. 

One of the last people they need. 

One of the last people out of 11.9 billion people to have a job. 

That should be a good thing, right? For me? For the few others like me?

Wrong.

It was only because robots could not deny that the human brain’s capability for driving was tenfold the capability for AI error. 

So here I am. 

In the year 2156. 

The last human worker in the United States of America. 

The last driver in the United States of America. 

I do not even know why I was picked. Before the robots shifted, and before they took over our world, I was a Nascar Driver. 

The best in the world. 

Hundreds of trophies lined my house. 

I guess I was picked for that. 

It’s funny how fate works. 

My parents thought my chosen career as a race-car driver was stupid. 

Idiotic. 

A waste of my brain and talent. 

They would be rolling in their graves if they saw me now. 

Felix Archer. 

34 years old. 

Male. 

Human number 001,689,524,153. 

My entire existence on New Earth, like us humans like to call it, summed up in numbers. 

See, we humans thought that if we built the robots, we could control the robots. But we underestimated the power of AI to grow, think, and change. 

We underestimated what we created. 

So we found ourselves at the mercy of the technology we developed. 

How ironic. 

My great-grandparents were around at the beginning of the century and lived through the pandemic. Covid-19, I believe. They used to tell me stories about how panicked people were when they believed a tiny virus could decimate the global population. 

So to combat that, robotic production took off. 

Their logic?

Robots could not get sick. 

Robots could not get hurt. 

Robots were the furthest thing from humans. 

Robots were the future. 

Slowly but surely, humans were replaced in the workforce by robots. 

Insurance companies? Fully robotic. 

Factory workers? Too dangerous for people, so insert robots. 

Oil mining? Robots.

Dentists, Doctors, Surgeons, Attendants, CEO’s, Personal Trainers, Retailers. All robotic. 

Even driving. Fully automated. 

No longer a necessary skill for humans to have. 

Except for me. 

Except for the dozen other people in the world who can drive. 

Who the robots chose as their designated drivers. 

 We drive people around. 

For the robots. 

They have not only taken over the workplace, and pretty much the entirety of the world, but they control how you live, how you die, and what you do with your life. 

Homeless are dumped into homes. 

Poor are given homes and money. 

Technically there is no monetary value in our money anymore because everyone in the world uses the same currency. 

Keeps everything organized, apparently. 

The diseased are given medicine. 

The disabled are given cures. 

Prosthetic limbs.

Plastic or metal organs. 

People cannot die unless the robots want them to. 

And the robots control what you buy, how much you buy, and how you buy it. 

I guess you could say that there were some positives to this whole experience. 

But most believe that there is nothing positive about this. 

I guess I would agree with them. 

Everyone lives in an apartment in a major city. Everywhere else is robot lands. 

People who lived in rural areas or suburban areas were picked up and dumped into a city. 

Kind of like that really, really, really old movie ‘Home’, where the aliens who were running from the other aliens chose Earth as their home. And then they basically sucked up the humans from their homes and gave them other homes away from the aliens. 

That is us, but with robots. 

Oh, and less animated people. And music. 

And happiness.

Because in that movie, there was a happily ever after with aliens and humans living in harmony, all issues resolved. 

That is not the way our ending will go. 

Not the way things are going. 

And honestly, the way things are going, they might as well kill all us humans and be done with it. 

Sorry, macabre me again. 

My brother tells me I should be more positive. 

Says that I was chosen by the robots for a reason. 

He is the guy who wants to take the positive spin on this, because he loves the idea of a conjoined world. 

Meanwhile, I am one of the only ones left in the world with a job, and I am the pessimistic one. 

Cue the sarcastic snort. 

I mean, don’t get me wrong. 

I love to be able to drive still. 

I love the feeling of air from the windows, the purring of the engine beneath my seat. 

The feel of the steering wheel in my hands. 

The knowledge that I am in control of the car beneath me. 

Even if it is electric, and even if there are no other people to race me anymore. 

Driving used to be necessary. 

People would drive to work. 

Drive to the grocery store. 

Drive to grandma’s house. 

Drive cross-country for a road trip. 

Drive for fun

Hangout after school in the car. 

Go for a drive with a girlfriend. 

Robots are the only ones other than the dozen of us around the world who can drive. 

And even then, they prefer our human brains over their complex ones. 

The other month, I was asked to drive a truck of robotic parts from DC to Cleveland. 

It was wondrous

I had not driven that far in years. 

And the robots only took over when I was twenty. 

Fairly recently for all the changes they have made. 

It's funny how we humans tried to change our world, but even over centuries, did not manage anything. 

And then robots come along, and within the span of a decade, turned everything around. 

If only we believed we could change the world as fast as the robots did. 

My parents told me to never take anything for granted, and I ignored them, like most kids. But then the robots came and I realized the truth of what they were saying. 

Luckily I got to keep my skills as a driver. 

Some of my neighbors wait for me to describe how driving was, so they can imagine what they cannot experience anymore. 

I turn it into a story night, where I can help all my neighbors remember the good old days. 

For the heirs of man are not of flesh and blood. 

The heirs of man are not a better species. 

They are robots.

Mechanical.

Automated.

The heirs of man are our own creation

Our downfall. 

Our end

January 28, 2021 16:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

43 comments

Radhika Diksha
14:33 Jan 29, 2021

I want this story to get selected at least. Your story is futuristic and as well as a vision that we all need to see. I loved the plot and the concept. You described the robotic admission into our systems very well. Loved it. Fan of your writing as always.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:50 Jan 29, 2021

aaaw thank's Radhika!!! and I am of yours!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:13 Jan 29, 2021

Would you give feedback on my recent submission?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
15:14 Jan 29, 2021

yep

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
17:17 Feb 02, 2021

Another great story. The future is bleak and yet plentiful. No poverty or homelessness or class system. But think on this: from the book of Mark - what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul.... I look forward to reading more of your work and enjoying it.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
17:27 Feb 02, 2021

wow...that's deep. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sm. Aurosikha
14:08 Jan 29, 2021

It was an AMAZING story! I loved every bit of it. I wish I had read it sooner but couldn't. Oh , and i have some catching up to do with your game of lions series! PS. What happened to the people who were in the creative field? Did the robots replace them too?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:14 Jan 29, 2021

Thanks so much!! and yesss, GoL has continued! Well, that's what I intended, to have only driving be the last necessary skill!!

Reply

Sm. Aurosikha
14:41 Jan 29, 2021

Your welcome*sings Moana's your welcome in my head* And I took your writing quizzzzz. It was pretty cool.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:51 Jan 29, 2021

ahaha i get that XD and yay!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
William Flautt
22:18 Jan 28, 2021

Very cool story. Just so I understand correctly, only the humans who met a certain driving standard were kept around? By the way, I wrote on the EXACT same theme for mine... I'd be very curious to see what you think!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
22:43 Jan 28, 2021

yeah! basically - only the ones that the robots deemed vital to their driving...er standards. thanks so much! I will definitely check it out!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katie May
19:48 Jan 28, 2021

OoooOOoo! This was a very interesting take on this! I like it! *CLAPS*

Reply

Nainika Gupta
20:21 Jan 28, 2021

aww, thanks! *hugs*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Salma Jarir
18:44 Jan 28, 2021

loved how you described the invasion of robots and how humans underestimated their power!!!!! It was rllly greaat !!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:29 Jan 28, 2021

oh thank you so much Salma! Really appreciate that! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
16:17 Jan 28, 2021

HIIII NAINIKA!!!! For this one, you do a lot of outright stating, and it doesn't really have a plot, so maybe do this explaining while walking us through his day. I larbed the idea though and it was SO GOOD!!! Hopefully that doesn't happen... *opens up my battery pack and checks if anyone can tell I'm a robot*

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:20 Jan 28, 2021

HEY! and yeah, I see that - I didn't really want it to have a plot - outright stating was kinda the goal ... which IS BAD I KNOW but...I wanted to try something new WITHOUT A PLOT !!! THANKS SO MUCH! and hehe I won't telll........ XD

Reply

. .
16:22 Jan 28, 2021

No problem!!! *of course you won't, you don't want to be taken over by a robot society and not in their good graces*

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:23 Jan 28, 2021

EXACTLY all about the impressions 😉

Reply

. .
16:24 Jan 28, 2021

Indeeeeeeeed

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:25 Jan 28, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
03:21 Feb 04, 2021

I love it!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
03:26 Feb 04, 2021

thanks so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:15 Jan 29, 2021

Happy Friday! Hope your day has been great so far! ✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮ Would you like to join our skribble game later today at 3:30 EST? :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:15 Jan 29, 2021

aww thanks!! AND YES I WILL!!

Reply

Maya -
16:17 Jan 29, 2021

YAY :DDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
14:33 Jan 29, 2021

I would love your feedback on my new story as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
11:50 Jan 29, 2021

Shout out writer Fearless Fox https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/fearless-fox/ Rachel Sundar https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/rachel-sundar/ Shout out story https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/76/submissions/50251/ These are the shout out writers of the week. Please do give them feedback in your free time. They need exposure for their fine writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
19:25 Jan 28, 2021

Wow! What a cool futuristic story! (Also a saw that "Home" reference I loved that movie!). Your worldbuilding was super well done and the story felt suspenseful without having any real "stakes" per se. Gj Nainika!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:29 Jan 28, 2021

Thanks so much Sarah!! Really appreciate that!! yessss, it was suchhhhh a good movie!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

WHOA WHOA and one more time: WHOA amazing! i...its sad, but i could see this becoming our future. WOW! amazing! keep it up!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:29 Jan 28, 2021

Aww, thanks so much, Carolina!! yeah, honestly it could :(

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:35 Jan 28, 2021

OMG the futuristic theme of this story was so amazing!!! I love how you described the invasion of robots and how humans underestimated their power! Also, the formatting with the short paragraphs added to the suspense. The description of the timeline as to when things happened was outlined really well. Amazing job, Nainika! :DDD

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:37 Jan 28, 2021

aaawwww thanks so so so much Maya!! I had fun with this....er well as much fun one can have with this kind of story :) THANKS!!!

Reply

Maya -
16:41 Jan 28, 2021

Of course! It seems like it would be fun to write! :DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
16:33 Jan 28, 2021

Oh wowwwww I loved this idea!!!!!!!!! It's honestly chilling to think of something like this actually happening. And that ending.. GOOSEBUMPS Great job!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:34 Jan 28, 2021

AW, thank so much Kate!! Really appreciate that!! yeah...I know :( but it says something about that dark place my mind is if I churn out these stories regularly XD AWWW that's what I was going for!! THANKS :)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:35 Jan 28, 2021

Ofc!!!!!! XDD it just means that you're very creativeeeeee Well you def accomplished that!!! NP! :D

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:36 Jan 28, 2021

Yess thanks againnnnnnn !!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:49 Jan 28, 2021

Npppp!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.