37 comments

Contemporary Fiction Suspense

Pain, the memories of it flit along the sharp edges of my brain like wounds from a weapon wielded by an iron butterfly. I cry out in the silence, but the unending sea of darkness that I float upon swallows my voice. Sometimes this sea rocks and swirls gently, and at other times it churns with violent, silent waves that torment and spin me around, drowning me in the void.

Fragments of memory assail me. Vague recollections of awakening from a suffocating sleep, arms flailing, hands grasping, and the instinct to survive battles with the encroaching urge to surrender. But before my fingers can claw at the bandages that surround my head, or rip the plastic from my arms, unseen hands grasp me and press me down, deep into the blackness where the swirling void is waiting to consume me.

When next I surface—time is meaningless in the void—I am restrained, bound by the wrists. I cry out; the pain breaking through my cocoon of silence, but my voice is stolen from me. The scream is silent.

Overwhelming terror replaces pain. Deprived of sight, deprived of sound, there is only pain and I am alone, a nightmare built from my darkest fear. Although I cry and call and thrash at the bindings that constrain me, I am unable to break free.

I pause to assess the situation, a reflex ingrained through years of training. My heart thunders; it’s the only assurance I have that I’m alive, this painful pounding against my chest. I am bound, captive, prone on a bed, and I have been deprived of all sensory input. Slowly, this reality assembles itself within my fractured mind, like pieces of an insane jigsaw puzzle. The picture that forms fills me with dread—an icy realisation engulfs me; I am held captive behind enemy lines, and I am being tortured.

I muster every ounce of resolve to confront this terror without flinching, even as my insides twist and plummet. The fear of the unknown eclipses the pain that has been inflicted upon me. Waiting, not knowing where the next attack will come from, or what form it will take. The anxiety builds in my stomach like a lead weight dragging me down as I flounder on this sea of complete terror.

A hand touches my arm and I jolt as fear courses through me like a lightening bolt, a current of electricity that steals my breath on an unheard scream. A second hand presses me down; I hadn’t even realised I was straining upwards, fighting against the restraints that confine me.

But this touch soothes. Gentle strokes penetrate my fear soaked brain and I latch onto that one sensation, to concentrate on the singular point of human contact. I force my body to relax, one muscle at a time. I know I am good, I have trained myself to focus. Emotion has never clouded my judgement, never gets in the way of completing the job. Fear can be conquered. I tell myself this repeatedly. Fear can be controlled. Stop. Assess. Prioritize. Plan.

The hand strokes up my arm, slowly, gently, with tentative exploration, until it reaches my face. There, gentle fingers linger against my skin. I can feel the rasp and pull of stubble as the fingers slide against my cheek. The hand is joined by lips. The soft warmth of a whispered breath heats my skin, an insubstantial exhalation that ripples the air, sending shivers down my spine.

Silken strands of hair fall across my face, tendrils that I can’t dislodge as they wind their way into my mouth and nose, threatening to choke me. I thrash and gasp, struggling against this new attack until, suddenly, I am overwhelmed by a scent that floods my senses. It’s the smell of summer, of jasmine, of home. Time stops still for an eternal heartbeat. Reassess. Review. Respond.

“Lucy?” I gasp, but the sound is swallowed by blackness.

Shaking hands frame my face, gently caressing, and I turn my head toward the sensation, drawn to the the warmth like a moth drawn to a flame.

“Lucy, where am I? Why are you here?” Still no sound. Although my lips form the words and my throat painfully gives them life, I do not hear them. They are tossed into a negative void where sound does not exist.

Hands leave my face to grasp my palm, and a finger forms three lines repeatedly into it. I am puzzled by the action, but the lines repeat over and over until they coalesce into meaning—‘H’.

I form the letter on my lips, and the shape in my palm changes to a circle—‘O’. Then a waving line—‘S’.

“Hospital?” I gasp, my lips move through the syllables, yet my ears strain to hear the sound that comes with the word. Nothing.

The hands clasp mine.

“Can’t see! Can’t hear!” I am afraid to vocalize words that do not reach my ears. I can feel my throat tightening on the sounds, fear that they erupt from my mouth in hysterical screams. But without the ability to hear them, I can’t gauge the tone. The hands return, this time at my shoulders, circling my body as far as they can reach. A face presses against my neck, the sensation as familiar as my own name, one that I can’t hear, but can feel, as her lips move against my neck.

I raise my hand to hold her, but it is still restrained, and I begin to pull and tug at the bindings.

“Help me, Luce!”

My hand is set free, and I claw my way up her arm, finally reaching her shoulder, and pull my Lucy close against my racing heart as I assess the grim reality of this situation.

I am alive.

Lucy is here.

I am not alone.

Three things. Three things that matter above all else. My brain grapples with the elusive fragments of my memory, fragments that torment me just beyond my grasp. But it hurts to probe into the painful recess that is the empty blackness there, so I shy away from it and continue my assessment.

I am blind.

I am deaf.

Two things. Two life-altering, defining things that have severed me from the world, have locked me inside my own head, a wall of silent darkness between me and all humanity. My career, my aspirations, my every hope for the future, destroyed, annihilated. A crushing weight in my chest expands and pain reverberates through my entire being.

As I hold Lucy with my one unbound hand, she showers my face with kisses, her breath, choppy puffs of air, whispers against my skin. I only come to understand that she is sobbing when I feel the warm drops on my face. At that moment, I realize that I am sobbing too. I am strong; I am brave; I have faced death countless times in my career, but today I am broken and the tears won’t stop. She takes my hand and urgently scratches out letters into my palm, and I say them one at a time. I. L. O. V. E . Y. O. U.

“Oh, Lucy, I love you too.”

I more than love her. Selfishly, I need her. She is the only thing that ties me to the real world. Without her, I am lost on a wave of a broken sea that churns and threatens to drown me in its silent darkness forever. Lucy is my light.

“Don’t leave me, Lucy.” Without the ability to hear, I have no idea if I say the words aloud, but they ripple repeatedly through my body with desperation. “Don’t leave me, Lucy.”

Her fingers entwine in my own, a desperate clasp that’s meant to reassure me. On her third finger is the metal band of her wedding ring, and I rub it with my own fingers. It is a symbol of our love and she always wears it. I, on the other hand, removed mine for active duty, but I want it back now. I want my fingers to proclaim loudly that they belong to her. She is my lifeline, without her, I will drown. I bring her hand to my lips and hold it there, breathing in her soft, jasmine scent. She is my home.

October 01, 2023 12:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Michał Przywara
20:43 Oct 04, 2023

I had a suspicion this was a hospital bed, probably after some sort of accident. Then, the musings about being captured and tortured, and the disciplined way of regaining control added some doubt to that, and by the end I think it's clear we're dealing with a soldier wounded during service. Blindness and deafness both, suddenly, and simultaneously. And on top of that, whatever other wounds he's suffered. Yeah, that's a hell of a thing to deal with. I think the extended water/drowning metaphor works very well here, especially with his momen...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:17 Oct 04, 2023

Thank you for reading and responding. This was a tough one to write, because you realise how much we rely on sight and sound both in our daily lives and in writing a scene. Totally removing them was an interesting challenge. I’m glad it worked to create a very unsettling feeling. Communication is essential for human beings so removing the traditional ways, via sound or sight, left only touch. Imagine how small the world becomes when you are limited to only the things that you can physically touch, no distant horizon, no glance across a crow...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
14:12 Oct 01, 2023

This story is the thing of nightmares. I appreciate how easily you were able to capture the reader and submerge them into the story despite the lack of senses. You were able to say so much between the protagonist and Lucy as well, despite the heavy barrier placed between them do to his loss of senses. This was an excellent execution of the prompt. Thank you for the story!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
14:23 Oct 01, 2023

Thank you for reading it and for your analysis. It would definitely be the thing of nightmares to lose both vision and hearing. Imagine how small your world would become, limited to the things you could touch, taste or smell.

Reply

Audrey Knox
17:14 Oct 01, 2023

And you really capture and emphasize how isolating it would feel to be trapped in your own head like this until you were able to learn to communicate.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:07 Oct 01, 2023

Thanks Audrey.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
02:35 Nov 18, 2023

Writing using other senses must have been a real challenge. You did well. You convey the trauma well. The confusion of what’s going on and then learning to communicate through touch is really clever.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
05:19 Nov 18, 2023

Thanks for reading it. Writing it made me realise just how much we rely upon visual and aural information to create scenes and characters. It was a challenge to remove this, so I’m glad it worked.

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:45 Nov 18, 2023

Just the kind of challenge to make you think about the other ways to describe things. An excellent way to level up your writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
03:26 Oct 20, 2023

Hi Michelle! Holy cow what an incredible story! I loved that we started out with so much confusion and frustration. I also adore the way that the story was about pure love, and the human ambition to properly communicate with one another. I thought that you took a difficult topic and address to beautifully while bringing life to your cast of characters in a wonderful way. I admire the fact that this story had very specific dialogue, and how well it managed to drive the characters along this journey. Nice work!!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:04 Oct 20, 2023

Thanks Amanda. Losing sight and hearing would be terrifying and having to cope with all that and relearn how to be a human being in that situation would be frustrating. I’m glad that sense of frustration and despair was evident. How dehumanising it would be to rely on your loved one for everything. I would hate it. Thanks for your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rachelle Lemay
14:31 Oct 12, 2023

Beautifully crafted narrative that unravels as the MC makes sense of his situation but you send him a lifeline in Lucy. Great read.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
21:52 Oct 12, 2023

Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
14:24 Oct 12, 2023

Wow, Michelle. This was really immersive. Such beautiful descriptive writing about something so horrific. I absolutely loved the desperation of mouthing the letters and vowels. So helpless. The mention of taking ring off for active duty at the end really hammered the finale home. Like he removed the one thing that matters to him to participate in the thing that destroyed him. Heartbreaking stuff There is a brilliant song by Metallica called 'One'. Deals with a soldier in this kind of situation. The music is not for everyone but it is lyr...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
21:51 Oct 12, 2023

Thanks for the feedback Tom, I’m happy that yoi found it immersive.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:10 Oct 11, 2023

Michelle, I really enjoyed this one! It feels like a thriller, and the suspense was perfectly paced! The reveal was slow enough to build up anticipation, but kept my attention the whole time.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:15 Oct 11, 2023

Thank you for reading it and I’m happy that it kept you engaged.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurie Roy
16:49 Oct 10, 2023

Well done, loved the 'two life altering things that have severed me from the world.' because how would we as hearing, seeing adults adjust to a life with neither of those.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
18:40 Oct 10, 2023

Thanks for reading. Without those two main senses, our world would become incredibly small.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
11:19 Oct 09, 2023

Very powerful story, Michelle! Taking away sight and sound, and capturing the panic he felt. I was wondering if you would go deep into his memories to describe what happened, and I’m glad you didn’t. It focuses on the now of where he’s at, his life line in Lucy, and the feeling of “home” that surface. I love how she communicates through the finger spelling when there’s no other way. This makes you appreciate the gift of having all your senses.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
15:04 Oct 09, 2023

Thanks Nina, I was tempted to go down the memory path, but figured that after a traumatic brain injury it would be so overwhelming with the sensory deprivation. Trying to recall the trauma would be just too much to deal with.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rose Lind
05:51 Oct 08, 2023

Written to prompt, the sensory dpruvation was amazing showing depth of love Well done, Rose

Reply

Michelle Oliver
08:56 Oct 08, 2023

Thanks rose. It would be very scary to lose sight and sound. It was a challenge to write without visual or audio at all.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
23:21 Oct 07, 2023

Heart-wrenching story that reminds me somewhat of "Johnny Got His Gun," by Dalton Trumbo. I liked the way that you went from a tortuous situation to a protected hopeful situation. It could have gone dark fast, but you decided a different direction. Thanks for sharing. Good luck in all your writing endeavors.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:13 Oct 08, 2023

Thanks for reading. It’s going to be a long journey for them both.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
13:36 Oct 05, 2023

That would be horrifying. Great idea for the prompt, excellently written.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
14:22 Oct 05, 2023

Thanks for reading it. I think I would be permanently claustrophobic if I lost both sight and hearing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
09:13 Oct 05, 2023

I felt terribly anxious reading that in the best possible way, you captured the unknowable dread of MCs situation so well. The aethereal beginning had me seeing some Lovecraft influence, that unseeable, unhearable terror just at arms reach. Even the pleasant sensations had an air of horror, the hair nearly choking him etc. It was quite emotional, especially toward the end when the horror turned to love and what we would do without it. Really great work that stomped all over the non visual prompts, marvellous.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
10:20 Oct 05, 2023

Thanks Kevin. Unknowable dread, I like that phrase. I don’t know which sense I would prefer to lose, sight or hearing, but to lose both at once, I think I would not be able to cope.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
19:29 Oct 04, 2023

Oh my is this frightening, knee-trembling frightening. It doesn't matter that the protagonist has lost all his other senses bar smell and touch in the line of duty, any reader's mind leaps quickly to consider this predicament as it is something we all dread so much. You capture the need, the desperate need for Lucy's smell and touch so vividly; it is truly a lifeline: the one attachment the poor prone man has. I thought you handled the demands of the character well; it would have been all too easy to slather the fear on with thick purple pai...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:05 Oct 04, 2023

Thanks for the feedback Rebecca. I am happy that it resonates without being overblown with purple.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
02:43 Oct 02, 2023

Special. Touching. Captivating. Complete.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
03:07 Oct 02, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Audrey Knox
17:13 Oct 01, 2023

Damn, this is incredible. I was really compelled by the question set up at the beginning: Where is this person? I didn't think they were actually behind enemy lines like they assumed they were (but at the end when we learn they were injured in battle, it's clear why that's what they would have assumed). The appearance of the woman really escalated the mystery and my desire to learn the answer, to piece together this puzzle. I love the way you took the sense of touch here and really leaned into the prompt by using it as a jumping off point ...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:09 Oct 01, 2023

Thank you for reading it and for your analysis. I am happy that the limited senses here kept you engaged.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:41 Oct 01, 2023

Beautiful ❤️, but quite scary to begin with. The first paragraph really hits hard, building up and up but eventually... Lucy's here and everything's fine again. Strong EWBA (Everything Will Be Alright) vibe. Seems to be a recurrent theme in your stories. Very comforting. 😊 The title was perfect and captured my imagination immediately. My favourite sentence was the first one. You've taken writing from a fine art to... A finer art, I suppose?

Reply

Michelle Oliver
12:53 Oct 01, 2023

Thanks for always being the first to read and respond to my stories. EWBA? Hmmm, I might have to play around with that in future stories and push the boundaries just for a change. Thanks for the feedback re the title, I was agonising over it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.