2 comments

Fantasy Fiction Adventure

Big Band music blared from the garage, as Seravina entered from the kitchen. The large circular clock on the far wall read 2:12 am. The usually organized mechanic’s paradise had car parts, wrenches, grease, oil, nuts, bolts, and an assortment of bizarre gadgets jumbled on the floor, the shelves, and the ceiling. She stepped carefully around the obstacles and spills and moved over to the mechanical beast, Tood referred to as  ‘the Chevy’ or ‘Dragon’. 

The music changed to an upbeat jazz song with a female singer. The princess listened to a few bars before recognizing Completely, a new song, which Tood played for her two days ago. She knew he was in here, she could hear a tool whirring underneath the car. The Chevy was covered in a green tarp, except for the hood.  Floodlights illuminated the engine and beneath the disassembled vehicle. The music stopped suddenly.

“Who’s there?” Tood called from underneath.

“It’s me, Seravina. May we have a conversation?”

“Sure. As long as you don’t mind talking, while I’m working here.” 

“I would prefer seeing you face to face, but I know how busy you have become.”

He torqued a wrench. “I am sorry about that.  I am not trying to avoid you.  I couldn’t sleep last night.  I was so fidgety, so I decided to rebuild the engine.”

She leaned her back against the machine. “My slumber has also been disturbed with numerous nightmarish apparitions. I awoke and made some herbal tea, but that only heightened my anxiety and I could not return to bed.” 

“I could use some help. There are some mechanic coveralls on the counter. Slip one on and ‘Seravina, Come on Down’!”

“Just a moment.” She smiled at the comment. She had watched a game show on the telepicture device called ‘The Price is Right’, which Mrs. Hemingway and Tood loved.  She had enjoyed the frantic run of the peasants to the front of the stage in order to win trivial items in degrading carnival games.

  She found the bibs, chose one, and quickly undressed. She removed her shirt and jeans along with her shoes.  She arranged her long hair into a ponytail braid as she stood in her underwear in the cold garage.

Tood looked up and saw her beautiful physique. He quickly averted his eyes. “Princess. You did not have to remove any of your clothes. The suit would have covered you completely.” 

“Thank you.  I will remember it for next time. “ She placed the blue bibs on and zipped it up. “I know nothing of these contraptions.”  She walked over to his side and sat on the floor. “How do I look?”

Tood cleared his throat to keep his jaw from dropping. “Great.  Ready to work. Over there is a scooter.  Lay on it and come next to me.” 

She found the mechanic’s scooter and lay on her stomach.  She pushed herself toward the machinist.  She glided across the garage.

“This is quite enjoyable.”

Tood looked up and grinned. “Cute.  Lay on your back and slide next to me.” He tapped the floor. 

 She laughed, “Oh. I see.” She got rearranged and moved next to him.

 “Hello.” 

“Hi.” He raised his hands over his head and pulled on a wrench, “So what’s on your mind?”

“Tood, I would like to speak to you about what happened the other night.”

“My lady, so much has happened.  Please be specific.” Tood smirked and gave her side glance.

Seravina did not notice the look. “Specifically, I am referring to the night we danced and kissed.” She looked at her hands. 

“Oh.” Tood over exaggerated. “I remember.  Could you put your hand on mine.  When I count to three, pull with me.”

“Certainly.”

“One, two, three.” They pulled together and the final bolt easily moved. Tood turned the bolt until it fell into his grease covered hands.  A small square lead container dropped in his hands.

“Thanks. I have been trying to get this all night.” He slid out from the car and she followed. “I do recall quite a strike in the face.”  He sat up, stood up, and held out his hand.

She accepted his hand and he lifted her up.“I do apologize for that outburst, but I was referring to the event prior and…”

He drew her close. “I remember every fantastic moment. Vina, I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

“Truly you do? I  love you as well.” They embraced and kissed passionately. “Are we betrothed?” She began to cry.

“Yes, my love. I won your hand and your heart. Why are you crying?”

“I have remembered…remembered what I did and who I hurt.”

“That’s wonderful, my peach.”

“I am not your peach and it is not wonderful. It is horrendous!”

“Before you confess, let me guess what you did lovey-dovey, please?”

“Lovey-dovey, what?”

Tood cleared his throat, “You came here to manipulate me into finding Divadus, so you could kill him.  You were going to feign some injuries to win my sympathies. Which you probably did have, since you used the gold necklace and jewel.  But instead of finding me, you met up with Captain Chico and most likely Popson and Chang.  How am I doing so far?”

“Unfortunately, 100 percent. How did you know?”

“I put the pieces together.  You described the events at Five Pennies in accurate detail. You recognized the fountain and Popson and Chang. You admitted to ruining a man’s life.  Chico’s life is shattered.”

“Thanks to me.” She sobbed.

Yes. Thanks to you.”

“What? You are glad he is in jail and awaiting trial?”

“Yes. He is a low life scum and thug who deserves all the punishment.  I believe in Divine retribution.  His corruption and manipulation in Between could have gone on for years, if you had not exposed the real Chico to everyone.  He is getting what he deserves.  Your motives may not have been pure, but your actions have removed wickedness from our fair land.  All’s well that ends well.”

“But an innocent woman was murdered. I started the chain reaction which led to her demise!”

“Innocent? She probably deserved it too. A casualty of war.”

“Tood, we are not at war. This was a peaceful time.”

“A casualty of peace then.”  Tood continued, “Come to think of it, the City Council deserves to die because of their wicked lies and trespasses.  Let’s go get them.  We can be the hand of Good and cleanse the town of all unrighteousness.” He grabbed a sword from the corner of the garage and marched toward the exit.

“No Tood! Stop!!  They don’t deserve to die. I am the one who caused it all.  The wounds, the party, the destruction, the mob, and…”

“The murder!” Tood stopped and turned toward her. “You’re right. You do deserve to die.  Here you go.”  Tood thrust the sword into her midsection and twisted. “Die evil doer!”

Seravina released an ear-splitting scream of terror.

She sprung upright in her bed with sweat pouring from her body.  She checked her stomach and wiped the perspiration from her forehead . She crashed her head back on her pillow in frustration and anxiety.  The third night in a row with the same haunting images.

She knew she would not be able to return to slumber. She stared blankly at the ceiling.  In frustration, she kicked the covers off, stomped out of bed.  The small electric clock on the table read: 2:12 am.

The princess removed her nightgown, put on pants of sweat and an elastic shirt, Emmy had called spandex.  She grabbed a pair of blue socks and silently exited her room and down the spiral staircase.  Tood had shown her the torture room and how to operate some of the devices including the treadmill.

“Treadmill, odd name.”

She had always enjoyed running, but not in the same place and not on a machine.  She stopped outside the room and heard a whirring sound.  Vina opened the door without a squeak. 

The princess witnessed Tood, with his ears covered and eyes shut, using the elliptical machine. The vigor and violence in which he beat the machine indicated to her, he also had a restless night. 

She slipped past him and started the treadmill on the walk setting.  The machine groaned awake and yawned her feet to take one methodical step at a time.  Seravina increased the speed to a vigorous walk as she stretched and strode her long legs.  In a moment, she would start her run. 

Tood heard the treadmill start and watched Seravina begin her walk. He slowed his pace and removed the headphones. “Good morning.”

“Good morning,” She replied, “I hope I have not interfered with your self-torture.”

He grinned and slowed further, “I am almost done with this part. I am off to do some flailing next.”

The princess looked at him in surprise and then laughed, “I almost thought it was not a jest.” She started to jog.

“Did I wake you with my exercise?” He stepped off the machine and walked toward her. Sweat had soaked into all his clothes. He drank from a clear bottle. 

“Not at all. I woke up and could not return to sleep.  So I decided to torture my body instead, as you suggested.   How long have you been here?”

“About an hour.  I also couldn’t return to sleep. Tons on my mind.”

“Thousands of pounds is too much even for you, my lord.  Please share your load.” She smiled at him. “It may help.”

He shifted his weight from left to right. “Ok. Well, first, the junkers have been reporting strange things happening in the Swamp and River Drayne.”

“What kind of things?” Seravina asked.

“They say it has been too quiet near the Swamp. They fear something is watching them.  Some have claimed seeing purple giants in the marshlands and junks. The Swamp Monster has not been seen in weeks. She has kept life in balance there for decades.”

“You told me the Swamp Queen is sentient and made an alliance with your people.”

“Exactly.  I pay homage to her each month. If she is no longer there, then…”

“What could be strong enough to displace her and take control of her kingdom?”

“Bingo.  Whatever it is, it is immensely strong.  I need to investigate it with Woof.  The other problem is more confusing.”

“What’s the new dilemma?

“Some of the water from the River Drayne has been purposely diverted into the Wamp.”

“For what purpose? Irrigation? Industry? Filtration?”

“Your guess is as good as mine.”

“Anything else on your industrious mind?”

    “I have deciphered most of Emmy’s message.”

“Excellent. Do you know where she is?” 

“Near New York City, a large metropolis with millions of people.  But she also gave clues about a beach location.”

“Perhaps it is a false location to throw off her captor. Or the coordinates of something valuable.”

He sipped the water. “Maybe.”

“Anything else?” 

He chuckled, “Bad dreams. Actually, the same one three nights in a row” He rubbed his neck.

Seravina stopped running and nearly fell off the tread. She stumbled and scrambled to match the tread and the console. She slammed the automatic stop button.

“Hey, are you alright? You nearly crashed.”

“I am fine. I also had a nightmare, which awakened me abruptly, for three days.”

The Junkman drank some more, opened up a miniature frigger and handed a clear bottle to Seravina. “Tell me what happened in your dream.”

“No. Let me hear your night images first.”

He took another drink and sat down on the Bowflex. He blushed. “You and I were sitting on a bench near a garden. I was.. You were…We were… getting to know each other. Personally. Passionately. Intimately.”

“Lord Dorf,” Seravina blushed, “Were we… procreating?”

“No, no, no.  We were kissing.  Just kissing, I think.”

The princess gave a sly grin, “Continue, please.”

“So, it was a wonderful time until car headlights shined on us.  It blinded us, but I could see the outline of the Chevy.  The engine roared and sped toward us.  We barely jumped out of the way.  Then I was all alone, hiding behind the Big Tree.  I watched as a couple got married, but then I saw the Chevy bearing down on them.  I screamed to warn them, but it was too late.  Dragon turned around and chased me down.  I ran as fast as I could, but it drew closer and closer.  It cornered me near the fountain in Tween. As I gazed into the driver’s side, you were behind the wheel.  You maniacally laughed and then drove the vehicle into me. I woke up.” He sipped his water.

“Fascinating.  Dreams are bizarre.  I understand now why you have been avoiding me.”

“I am sorry for avoiding you. It was silly, really, over a dream.”

“I do not know how to ‘drive’ this burdensome beast.”

Tood rubbed his wavy hair. “I know.  Please tell me your dream.”

“I would like to hear more of our intimate time together.” She smirked.

 “Vina, your dream.”

“As you wish.  Maybe another time.” She flirted. “Well, you and I were in the garage together, but I had never been in there. You were working on the mechanical creature.  The garage was littered with all sorts of spills, tools, and devices.  You asked me to help you.  I dressed in blue coveralls.  I helped you remove a small contraption. You said you had been trying to remove it for three days. Then we hugged and kissed. You then accused all of Between of evil deeds.  You were bent on their destruction. When I protested, you drove a sword into my torso.” 

  “Princess, follow me, please.” Tood left the exercise room and went straight to the kitchen.  

Seravina briskly followed and sipped her water. “Where are we going?”

 He walked past the kitchen island and opened the door to the garage.  The automatic lights illuminated the room. “Did the dream garage look like this?”

The elf dropped the water bottle and it spilled across the cold tile. “Yes, exactly.”

He held out his hand. She grabbed it and followed him to the far side of the Chevy. She noticed the blue bibs and then the scooter. He released her hand and went to the hood.  He returned with a lead container with a greasy rag inside. 

“Is this what we removed together?”

“It is. How can this be? It was only a dream.”

“I think you have experienced a premonition.  I have been secretly working on this since Emmy…left.” Tood explained. “I found this hidden. Bolted between the front axle and engine block, two nights ago.  Until tonight, I couldn’t remove it.”

“What is it?” Vina inquired.

“Have a look.” Tood encouraged.

She reached her hand toward the container then stopped. She pinched her right leg until she winced. “I am awake, I think. How to make sure?”

Without warning, she slapped Tood across the face.  She felt the sting in her hand against Tood’s hard jaw.

“Oww! What was that for?”

She shook her fingers, “I apologize, just making sure you are real and not an apparition.”

“Man, you pack a wallop!” He rubbed his jaw.

“Apologies, my Lord.” 

 She removed the greasy rag and placed it on the ground. Her hands trembled as she unwrapped it. An ethereal crimson glow emerged from the floor and illuminated her face and hands. She gently placed her hands around the light.

“Yes, your Majesty. It is your inheritance. It is your birthright. It is your kingdom.”

The elf princess said in reverence, “The Bloodstone.” 

She held it aloft and then placed it over her heart.  It glowed brighter and brighter, surrounding her in a warm white light.  The stone vanished. Seravina’s skin glowed brilliant red and then returned to her normal tone.  She stood with a majestic glow. 

Tood fell down on one knee and proclaimed, “It is the highest honor to be the first to speak with the new Empress of the Elven Kingdom.”

November 16, 2023 22:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

David Sweet
23:07 Nov 22, 2023

I like the premise of "colliding" of different worlds. I take it that this is part of a much larger work? Is this part of your novel, The Doors Between? I enjoyed it, I'll have to check out your other stories if they connect here. Good luck. I know what it is like to be a full time teacher and to want to write. Congrats on your novel. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Keith Menendez
02:03 Nov 25, 2023

Thanks David. Yes these characters are a part of The Doors Between, but in the next part. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.