0 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Fantasy

An oversized book is cradled in the arms of a bespectacled young warlock as he runs down a peaceful hill, made tumultuous by his presence. Eyeing the sprawling city of Larune in the distance, he sweats and looks at the time.

4:50pm already? Lunacy! Poppycock! Boulderdash!

The tome seems to glow with protest at the reckless speed of its carrier, the gem on its cover flashing a panicky yellow hue. 

“Almost there, Grimmy!” He says, in a thick British accent. 

Sylvano’s robes billow through the air as he begins to cast a spell. “Velocitas!” 

Little angel wings appear by magic on his brown boots, boosting his speed by quite a lot. As he reaches the bottom of the hill, he continues on his mad dash to return the Grimoire of Adventure.

“Remember, you have to return the book by 4pm for the clerics’ meeting. This is very important, Sylvano.” Mrs. Moore’s voice echoes in his head. “If you don’t return it by then, you’ll have to take responsibility.” 

He was lucky enough to be one of the librarian’s assistants - to get to borrow such a wonderful book! The spells inside were a marvel to behold: from traveling sky and sea to bending the elements and summoning wondrous creatures made of energy! Even travelling to a parallel dimension!

But the Book was a capricious creature. It would only take you on adventures if it liked you. And it certainly did not like him at first. Not when he dropped it by accident while Mrs. Moore was in the process of giving it to him. 

“It’s going to be cross with you!” The librarian chided him, placing her hands on her waist. “Don’t drop it again!”

For the first few hours, the book ignored him.

Heartless!

“Please forgive me, Grimoire of Adventure!” 

The book remained silent, not glowing even a little bit. Sylvano sighed and plopped himself down on the grass. Not that he wasn’t used to silence. While other kids his age had playmates and playdates, all he did was play around with magic - because he wanted to be part of the Magic Council! At least his parents were supportive.

If I could just get this book to talk to me!

Unmoving on the grass, it lay reticent, the leather strap binding it held tight. But Sylvano had an idea. 

“Think of the Tome like a cat!” The librarian explained. “If it doesn’t want to talk to you or be petted or carried, it won’t let you! But if you’re gentle, and patient. It will open up eventually.”

But there was another thing: cats could be bribed. With food! And the student had a little trick up his wizard robes! A special ability from his mother: mana-cooking! Or baking.

Opening his hand and holding out his palms, Sylvano closed his eyes and concentrated. He thought of his recipe for a mana cake, turning from soft batter into a delicious fluffy poffin of blue and purple.

The book flashed with white light.

“Do you want it?” He held the sparkling treat in front of the book. 

Immediately, the Tome opened up, revealing its pages. It landed on a nice landscape of the ocean beside Larune city. “I’ll give it to you if you promise to take me on an adventure.”

The book shut itself, revealing the gem on its cover was glowing a bright green. As the cake flew out of his hands into the book’s gaping maw of paper and pages, he knew they would be good friends.

Just one day with it opened his eyes to the wonders of magic. As Emily Dickinson once said, “There is no frigate like a book.” 

That day, he flew with it above the ocean beside the city and felt what it was like to be a bird! And when they fell down, the Tome even created a bubble of water for them to travel through the sea. He had never seen more colorful sights in his life than the coral reefs beside the city. And the houses of merfolk which he had read about in books? They were REAL! 

When they rested on the hillside outside Larune, the book lay still, flashing its jewel a dull white light. “Oh! You’re hungry again Of course!”

Producing a cookie of magical energy from his hands, Sylvano fed his oversized friend, who wolfed it down in an instant. With a childlike laugh, the wizarding student made a cupcake too. That one was consumed in two book bites. 

The Tome of Adventure chewing on his mana treats was an entertaining sight. But before they knew it, the sun had begun to set, and it was time to return him to the library.

Alas, it was time to separate. 

The Magic Council always uses the book. In fact, Sylvano had to wait for weeks just for a small chance to borrow it! And now he had to return it fast. 

4:55pm.

Gulping in discomfort, he clenches his teeth and forces his legs to keep on beating against the earth. He stops short of the city gates when the book makes an alarming sound. 

“What is it, Grimmy?” 

A pale, white figure in a blue cloak is standing outside the closed gates. “Let me in!” He says.

Sylvano flinches.

Why now of all times!? 

Steeling himself, his eyes flash in alarm as the figure stares at him with its steady gaze. Its skin is luminous, and its ears are pointy. They stare at each other before the cloaked figure breaks its silence.

4:57pm

“Hello, child.” Her voice is mellifluous and echoing. “My, you seem to be in a hurry.”

“Y-yes, sir.” Sylvano replies unsteadily.

“Then why don’t you tell the guards to open the gates?” Her face is gentle and beautiful, but something about her is off. 

Sweat trickles down his neck. “I don’t know you!”

The guards on top of the wall look uneasy, drawing their weapons for a possible confrontation.

4:58pm.

“Then give me your name.” The being says, smiling.

“S-” The Tome shuts the boy’s mouth with its leather strap and opens to a certain page: the Trickster Fae.

“Do not give it your name when it asks.” The page reads. “The fae will steal it and have control over you. Instead, tell them a nickname.”

“Uh… Sedric.” 

“Very well, Sedric.” The cloaked being disappears in a cloud of mist.

The guards sigh in relief, and open the gates, finally letting Sylvano into the city. 

“What was that?” They shout after he runs. 

“A FAIRY!”

4:59pm

The doors of the library slam open, and he is successful in his mission! Mrs. Moore smiles in relief and softly takes the Tome. 

“Did you have a fun time?” 

Gasping for breath, he nods pointedly. “Yes! Yes! He’s a wonderful book!”

“I’m glad!” She replies. 

To Sylvano’s surprise, he hears the words: “Meeting adjourned.” The Council Members exit the meeting room one by one and give them both nods of acknowledgment as they leave the library. 

The hairs on his neck stand on end.

“Wh-what? The meeting’s over?” The student asks in disbelief. “But what about the Book?”

Mrs. Moore gives him a hearty smile and pats him on the head. “Oh that! Uhm. That was to teach you responsibility! They’re the Magic Council, of course they have their own books!”

Sylvano tilts his head. “So I rushed here for nothing?”

“Well, not exactly.” She replies. “Does he pass the test, Grimmy?”

The Tome shines with a warm green, and flies from the library counter into the young boy’s arms. Sylvano instantly understands, and his insides light up with joy, beaming into a big smile on his face. “I CAN KEEP HIM!?”

“Yes, you may!” 

“Thank you, Mrs. Moore!” After giving the librarian a tight hug, he runs out of the library to have more adventures with Grimmy - making sure not to drop him, and starts to go home to tell his parents the good news!

Behind him, he hears a thud.

One of the Magic Council members has dropped his Tome.

“Judas!” His council mates shout, exasperated.

The Book flashes an angry red. 

FIN

April 23, 2021 17:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.