28 comments

Adventure Fantasy Sad

Sir Danielle Longbow’s supernatural steed tore up the road as it galloped through the Kingdom of Crann with the War Witch Lupita Smith by her side.

“Slow down, Dan,” yelled the witch. “We can’t keep up.”

The irony of a steed called Djeithir, meaning haste, not keeping up with her ripped a smile through the stern set of the knight’s face. She dared to glance back at the mix of dragon, tree and undead horse that raced along the road behind her.

Djeither as the first of its kind had named itself a curaogine. Danielle’s curaogine snorted air hot enough to cause a haze.

“I can’t wait, Lupita. I might have waited too long already.” Shalakhir, whose name meant hunter, snorted beneath Sir Longbow. Branches growing between the plates of its reptilian shell formed a harness which held her in place as it raced the wind.

Villages danced towards them in a blur and away behind. Shalakhir leapt over walls as tall as the knight with ease, not slowing its pace. Reins made of living vine held Danielle as tightly as she held them.

Djeither sped past Shalakhir, showing rows of predator teeth in its grin. On it went, turning a loop because Lupita didn’t know where Danielle was going.

Sir Longbow’s steed crossed a stream, jumping from bank to bank. Its feet slipped on the mud of a rise, finding purchase in oak roots.

“This is it,” the knight yelled as her steed skidded to a stop in a village all but lost in a mix of ash trees, pines and rhododendrons with vibrant purple flowers.

“Are you sure?” Lupita asked sceptically as she dismounted.

Both gave a wary look to the moss covered church at the heart of the village.

Invader’s religion, Danielle thought. It was a church of the ‘One God,’ not the seven gods people of Crann and the lands around had worshiped for centuries.

“Eirich cursach,” said the knight and the witch in perfect synchronicity. Sharing a smile, they looked at the dragon/fire horse/trees lose their equine appearance and form into trees with shimmering trunks. Branches reached towards the sky as roots dug into the ground.

“Who are you who ride monsters into our home?” asked a man whose face seemed to be melting in folds of grey skin.

“I am Danielle Longbow, daughter of Darren. I’m told my father visited this village often.”

“Perhaps he did,” said the toothless man, looking more at the new trees behind the visitors than at Danielle and Lupita. “What’s it to you?” He scratched at an insect bite on his liver spotted arm.

“As I said, I’m his daughter, Sir Danielle Longbow.”

“Sir?” the villager tilted his head, blue eyes squinting at her. “You’re a woman, aren’t you?” Black eyebrows, the boldest colour on his whole body, wiggled as he frowned.

“Yes, there are plenty of women serving as knights in Crann now, since the war.” She touched a hand to her shield, then waved it at her sword.

Other villagers, no younger than the man, emerged from ramshackle cottages overgrown with moss and wildflowers.

“Says she’s a knight,” the man with gnarled fingers pointed a shaking hand at Danielle.

“Who does?” asked a woman who rocked from side to side as she walked with a limp in both legs. Her back had her hunched over, only her two short walking sticks held her upright.

“This one,” he waved at Sir Longbow. “What did you say your name was, lass?”

“Danielle Longbow,” said the knight.

“Sir,” Lupita noted, holding up a brown finger.

“Oh yeah?” said the old man. “Where are you from then?” He cocked his head again, stepping closer as the villagers crowded around. One couple, the youngest, looked to be in their fifties.

“Leonor,” said Lupita with the undertone of anger she always had when people subtly hinted at the unusual darkness of her skin by pointing it out or asking ‘where she was from’.

“Sir Darren Longow used to visit my village as well,” Danielle said. She frowned at the old man, knowing how much Lupita hated being othered by words such as his. She took her lover’s hand. “I wondered if he had any children here. They would be siblings of mine.”

“Oh. You want to meet them?” asked the old man, who was inspecting Lupita suspiciously as if she was more interesting than the magical trees the pair rode into the village.

“Them? They’re here?” Sir Longbow gave a hopeful smile to her wife.

“They don’t go anywhere.” The old man hung his head. “Come on. If you must see ‘em.” He walked painfully slowly towards the church. “Don’t get a lot of visitors here.” With his back turned, he had revealed a gaping hole in his brown woollen sweater.

Sheep bleated as they walked towards the wooden fence around the church. As with everything else, it looked long abandoned. Only the path of stone slabs had been kept clean.

Rocks dropped in Danielle’s stomach, weighing her down, forcing up the taste of bile. A well oiled door opened without a creak at the man’s slightest touch. Bathed in the warm tones of a stained glass sun, the man hobbled on. Pews polished by decades of restless bums sat either side of the aisle. A lectern watched over the aged decadence of the rural church. The fiery sun, symbol of the One God, carved into the lectern was the only pristine article in the village.

Led through a door to the side of the stage, the knight and witch walked out of an open door at the back which had rusted in place on the hinges.

Gulping as she entered the graveyard, Danielle kept pace with her guide. “This is the one.” He stooped lower than usual to aim his hand at a cairn of stones held together by three cornered leek blooming with white flowers.

Sir Longbow exhaled a breath of regret that stank of vomit. “They’re here?”

“Alice and Andrew. Twins.” He nodded slowly, stiffly. “Winter took ‘em both thirty year ago. “Weren’t more ‘n babes at the time. Their mama greeted somethin’ awful for months. Never the same, she was. Poor lass.” He shook his head as if the memory was as fresh as the white blooms on the grave.

“The mother?” Lupita asked for Danielle, who was weeping silently.

“She passed with a wound years ago an all.” His yellow tongue licked grey lips. “Sorry, Lady Sir.” His tongue tripped over the words. “Not what you wanted to hear I’m sure.”

“Too late,” Danielle knelt by the grave.

“Nothing’s later than it ever has to be. It’s the will of God. I think he meant this to teach you something. Every trial is a lesson, says the almighty.” His voice was the warm vapours of hot tea on a cold morning. Warm, homely and comforting.

Danielle didn’t like tea. “Bit of an arse then, isn’t it?”

“Hey, lass. Don’t blaspheme. Not in front of me. You’ll never hear my revelation that way.” Insult rose beneath the consolation in his voice.

“I don’t want you revealing yourself to me anyway.” The knight stood, towering over him and all around. Wiping her tears away, she sniffed. “If they’re all dead I suppose there’s no chance of meeting them. I’ll go and leave you to pray to the god of the invaders.”

“They’re not all dead,” said the old woman who walked with two sticks. “Alice and Andrew passed on, God bless them. Eva was still fit and well when she left here twenty years back. There’s a good chance she’s fine and well.”

“Eva?” Danielle’s eyes locked on the old woman’s cloudy eyes. “Where did she go?”

“To Leonor, Sir. Are you really a knight?” The old women’s teeth mourned their pearly white days and fallen friends. Her smile was withered corn on the cob.

“I really am. What was the family name Eva would go by? Please.” Pressing her palms together as the followers of the Northern God did when praying or begging, she bowed her head to the woman.

“Bond, Eva Bond. She won’t be that anymore though. She was a bonny lass. A lad will have snatched her up long ago and planted a dozen children in her by now no doubt.” Clear envy coated the old woman’s words.

“What did she look like?”

“Brown eyes o’ course. Brown hair with a bit o’ yellow in it. Tall like you. Muckle smile on her.”

“Muckle?” Lupita asked.

“Big,” Danielle explained, smiling to her wife.

“Biggest smile in the village, had all of the young lads and some of the auld ones under her spell.” The greying eyes turned to the old man.

“A bonnie lass, ye ken.” The grey skinned man nodded wistfully.

“Scars?” Sir Longbow asked. “Birthmarks?”

“A red tear shape on her left hand. Faded a lot over the years. Might be gone by now.” The woman winked at Danielle, showing the knight the purple veins of her eyelid.

“Thank you. Is there anything I can do for you?” Danielle knelt in the wild grass between the graves to look the woman in the eyes. “I don’t even know your name.”

“I’m Siobhan Brown. This auld gasbag daftie is my husband Oliver.” The stooped woman smiled. “If you can do one thing, tell good people we’re here. There are hames that can be fixed up for young folk. Eighty people lived in the village once. Now it’s just eight and none o’ us are havin any bairns.”

“Bairns?” Lupita asked.

“Children.” Danielle interpreted.

Lupita nodded, taking a mental note.

“Ye’ll nae mind ‘em changing ‘hings when they come here?” Danielle fell into the accent as she did when talking to the people from the villages of Crann. Her accent became that of Fisher’s gasp where she’d grown up instead of the vague Leonor City accent she’d adopted after years in the capital.

“Less than a mind this place dyin’ ye ken?” Siobhan waved one of her walking sticks around, wobbling without it to hold her up.

“No one wants their efforts to come to nothing,” Lupita said. She smiled with a reassuring show of teeth that warmed Danielle’s heart.

“Aye. Exactly.” Mrs Brown nodded. The movement looked in danger of knocking her over.

“It’s shan, the whole thing,” said Oliver. “Nay fair. It’s beautiful here. Folk should be wanting to be here.”

“So the lassie you’ll be looking for is your sister?” asked Siobhan.

“Aye.” Sir Longbow nodded.

“Best of luck, knight.” She waved a hand towards the dragon trees. “Don’t let the grass grow beneath your feet.”

“Thank you, Siobhan. Thank you, Oliver.” She bowed to both. Turning to look at Lupita, Danielle’s eyebrows rose.

“Let’s go then,” said the witch. “We’ll tell good people there’s a home here for them if they wish.” She bowed to the locals as well.

Both curaogine snorted into motion at the magical command given in unison by the knight and the witch. Djeithir left Shalakhir in its dust, charging back to Leonor with the haste of a bolt from a crossbow. Despite the brilliant harness Shalakhir had grown to hold Danielle safely, her bones were rattling. Her racing heart matched the thunderous pace of the hooves crashing into the ground.

In what felt like moments and hours all at once they saw the granite sprawl of Leonor. The mighty beats slowed to the pace of a horse’s gallop. At the first buildings they began to trot.

The usual gasps of awe from toddlers and their grandparents alike gave the riding duo smiles. They immediately asked everyone they knew to ask for the woman called Eva Bond with the tear shaped birthmark on her hand.

A day later, staying in the home of their friend Paulina Castel, word came. A messenger boy led Danielle through the grid streets of rebuilt Leonor. They crossed the drawbridge over the chasm of the mine which supplied the granite the city was built from, which doubled as a defensive pit around the heart of the old city. The well planned formations of the rebuilt center became a rabble of unique structures. Their only unifying feature was the granite and their fireproof tiled roofs. It was a legal requirement enforced strictly by the Queen after half of the city had burnt down during the invasion of the Empire of the Holy Proclamation years before.

“This is the place, Sir Longbow.” The messenger bowed to her.

“Thank you. Have a coin for your troubles.” She handed him his years pay to see his eyes widen in shock.

Bowing again, he mumbled more thanks and left, slipping the coins into his boots.

After a deep breath, Danielle knocked on the metal fronted door. The rattle echoed off grey walls behind her.

“Aye? Coming.” After some muffled huffing and puffing, a ruddy cheeked woman with black hair opened the door. Too young and lacking the birthmark, it wasn’t Eva.

“I was hoping to find Eva Bond. I don’t know what her married name is.” Looking down at the girl, Danielle watched a mixture of pain and embarrassment wash over her face.

“It’s Fletcher now. Evaline Fletcher. You’re out of luck for a conversation though.”

“She’s not dead?” Sir Longbow’s heart stopped for a moment.

“No. Perhaps that would be better. Forgive me, Sir, but why are ye here?”

“My name is Danielle Longbow, son of Darren. Eva. Evaline, sorry, is my sister. I wanted to meet her.” The knight’s brown eyes were unblinking as the girl at the door did a double take.

“You?” The girls voice rose to a mad squeak of disbelief. “Sorry, Sir. Come in.” The girl vanished into the shadow behind the door.

Damp, rotting smells assaulted Danielle’s nose. A rat crossed her path behind the guide. An open door revealed the long lost sister sitting in a rocking chair with blank eyes and spittle sparkling down her chin.

“Mammy,” said the girl. “Sir Longbow’s here. If you want to give her a piece of your mind, now’s the time.” Shaking her head, the girl looked at the knight. In the dim light the bags under her eyes were all the deeper. “This is it I’m afraid. She had a funny spell after drinking one night and never recovered.”

“How long has she been like this?”

“A few months.”

Months? thought Danielle. Another opportunity slipped through my grasp.

“Your name?”

“Deandra. People call me Dee.”

“My wife is a healer.”

“You can’t heal me ma, knight. She’s long gone. Look at her. The candle’s flickering but no one’s home.”

“Eva. Evaline. I don’t know if you can here me or understand me. I want to say I’m sorry. I didn’t come looking for you until it was too late.” Danielle knelt at the feet of the woman who stank of her own filth.

Dee put a hand on her aunt’s shoulder. “It’s alright. Thank you for coming. Mammy said you were a knight. She said a lot of horrible things about you. About her da’. She was angry. All the time. She drank. She never stopped.” Dee sighed. “She’s stopped now.”

June 02, 2023 14:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

Mary Bendickson
06:26 Jun 03, 2023

Another chapter.

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:19 Jun 03, 2023

It’s my ode to the never ending story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
02:09 Jun 18, 2023

Hi Graham, A charming tale with beloved characters. I’m so glad to be back in this world. I loved the way you tipped your hat to the prejudice that the town had about female knights. It’s something I feel you hadn’t overtly addressed in this series quite yet. The addition of the youngest character was welcome. I loved the way it gave a sense of innocence that Danielle got to play into. I can’t wait to read the next installment. It’s a beautiful, vivid piece.

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:03 Jun 19, 2023

I thought of the female knights in Crann as the women who went to work in the factories during World War Two, there were no men around to tell them it was ‘’men’s work”, so they got on with it and proved they could. Then when the men came home, those who survived, somehow it was almost as if it had never happened. Crann has reached a point of stability, with lots of immigration. It’s probably something I’ll have to address more often for the sake of realism. Thanks for sticking with the series, Amanda. It’s nice to get the perspective of som...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
17:29 Jun 07, 2023

It's your novel extracts at the display. Wishing you the best.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:09 Jun 07, 2023

Thanks, Philip.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
12:54 Jun 09, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
21:15 Jun 05, 2023

Another terrific episode. I love the concept of the curaogine — part supernatural, part zoological, part botanical. It speaks to the universe you’ve created. As well as the concept of monotheism being alien to the protagonists.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:25 Jun 05, 2023

I wonder if the world was more accepting when multitheism was more common, people picked a god but believing there were legitimately others hopefully meant accepting other ways to live as ‘ordained’.

Reply

Martin Ross
21:46 Jun 05, 2023

Makes sense -- so many gods a pick-and-choose attitude of tolerance might have prevailed.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:32 Jun 05, 2023

I don’t think anyone cared in Greece or even pre-Christianity Rome about anyone being gay. In that regard alone they were ahead of us.

Reply

Martin Ross
23:28 Jun 05, 2023

The more I read, the more I realize homophobia/transphobia’s a relatively modern phenomena. Read somewhere one indigenous North American culture recognized and accepted four or five “genders.”

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:43 Jun 05, 2023

Yeah I think I’ve heard about that as well, Indian culture had something similar for trans people and then adopted Christianity’s binary prejudices. Monotheism has a lot to answer for. Met people from any obscure religious groups? I met some Zoroastrians once, I’d never heard of the religion before.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
18:44 Jun 05, 2023

I thought the description of the steed-chimeras were very imaginative. With the discovery of her devastated sister, you've given Danielle motive for some vengeful ass-kicking. Nice work.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:14 Jun 05, 2023

Thanks Mike. I’ll be following this thread for a while. I’d had the idea simmering in the background for a while before the prompt came up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
06:43 Oct 17, 2023

Mamalamia sonofabitchy goddaym. A rich and vivid landscape, a little too rich in the opening. I had to re-read the first two paragraphs to gain full comprehension of who was what and what they were riding. Still not clear who was riding Shalimirick and which 'horse' was Glennfiddich. (A little humour there. Hope you don't mind. The names of the steeds are too much upfront info, unnecessary info. For me.) But remember, this is my first introduction to this world and these characters and it's a complex world. I love the blunt social commenta...

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:18 Oct 17, 2023

Thank you for reading and writing so much. Very kind. I’d love to hear what you think of the series from the start. Things that didn’t make sense in this should. I’ve written in instalments hoping they make sense individually but it would definitely work better in order. Thanks again Ken.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
11:33 Jul 15, 2023

Another interesting story about Danielle. More personal than the usual monster hunts. Bored of Witcher inspired stuff?

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:57 Jul 15, 2023

It’s a storyline I had wanted to do for a long time.

Reply

L M
05:55 Jul 30, 2023

I see.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
11:59 Jun 23, 2023

Want to keep reading? Thanks. You can use the link below. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/u6byb1/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aoi Yamato
00:56 Jul 31, 2023

I am glad there is more.

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:20 Jul 31, 2023

I’m glad that you’re glad.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:44 Aug 01, 2023

this is your joke?

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:18 Aug 01, 2023

Yes. My weird sense of humour.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
00:57 Aug 02, 2023

ok

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.