The Mountain Secret

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with a character taking a leap of faith.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Fantasy

My secret was something I hoped would never be openly revealed. It was amazing. Flying freely through the skies. The wind whisking through my body. Only at night did I emerge and fly through the vast world. At first it was scary. I feared myself when I discovered what had been done to me. It was a terrible event. One that still haunted me to this day.

I was one of many. A child taken from their parents. Dragged to a facility of unknown location. Tests were performed daily. Everything from academics to mental strength in the face of adversary. We were taught many things. As a child nearing his teenage years, it was difficult for me. I still don’t know why they performed such acts against us. All I knew was the challenges put before us were easily conquerable, at least for me.

I could feel their eyes upon me as I wrote on the piece of paper sitting on the desk. Everyone in the facility stared at us from behind glass which overlooked our positions. Those who passed were thrown back into a chamber. The chamber was where we ate and slept. It was where we socialised amongst ourselves, although the dialogue never revealed much about ourselves. Mostly the talk was of fear. Or even sadness. Sadness for those who were not brought back to the chamber.

We never found out what happened to those of us who were removed from the group; but I had a feeling it was not a happy ending. I never saw anyone again once they were taken. It was strange. We had tried to escape multiple times, but it was no good. The facility we were kept in was solid. As children we did not have the strength to break any of the doors down. So, we were kept in the dark hallways and dimly lit corridors. It was all we knew.

One day the ones in charge of observing us walked into our chamber. I watched as they hovered over us, like greedy kings watching the lower subjects be tortured. Then they stopped before me. One look into his eyes and I felt what he was thinking.

“This one.” Was all he spoke to me.

One of his guards grabbed my arm and forced me to my feet. As I was dragged out, I heard the cries of my friends Adam, John, and Jenny. I glanced back to see them in tears. Had I known what was about to happen, I would have ensured them I was going to be alright. But I didn’t know. None of us did.

I was lead down a different hallway than our usual route. It was lite with lights among the walls. Engraved upon the walls amid the purple lights I could see images of a creature. I never got a solid look at what was etched upon the stone because I was thrust forward when I turned my head. Forced to keep walking straight. Then we reached the doorway. It was black with a red pattern engraved upon it. As the key rested upon the metal, the red patterns glowed and parted ways.

As I was shoved into the room; the door was quickly closed. After adjusting to the dimly lit room, lit only by a ring of swirling lights below my feet, that was when I saw her. The creature the facility was keeping hidden from us.

“Approach!”

That single word echoed through the room, where it came from, I did not know. All I knew was that I was scarred. Scarred and desperate to survive. If this creature was the cause for all our disappearances, then I didn’t want to go near it. Until its eyes opened, and it glanced at me. I felt my body tense up and my heart rate increase dramatically. The creature stretched its legs before standing up, its gold eyes fixed on my blue ones.

Cautiously, I took a step forward. The creature before me never broke eye contact with me. As I got within arms reach of it, I stopped. Not knowing what to do. I decided to try extending my hand towards it. Figuring it was the only way out of this mess. Shockingly the creature before me held out one of its sharp claws and gently contacted my hand with it. Leaving it there for a moment, as if taking a step forward in its mind as well. Then the creature lifted its head and moved next to mine. As its mouth stopped near my right ear, I heard four words; words that were deep and faint.

“You are the one.”

The creature began to glow. Red emerged from its dark figure, enveloping its body in a way I could fully see its form. The scales upon it’s body, the deep blood coloured membranes on it’s wings, the sharp spikes upon it’s back. Then it faded and became a black mist. A mist that instantly drove itself against my chest. Fading within me I felt my body burn. My eyes saw fire. My screams echoed through the chambers. I felt my body being torn to shreds. The pain of what transpired that day, I would never forget it. Nor would I forget the screams of what transpired after that fateful encounter.

The screams of those who ran from the facility. Losing all control over myself I destroyed the facility from the core. In my rage I not only killed those around me, but my fellow hostages as well. I still hear their screams in my sleep. Waking up constantly after that, the pain and suffering was something I could not rid myself of. I don’t know if the head of that facility survived the destruction. I didn’t really care though. All I cared about now was keeping my secret.

As the bus drove down the road, I kept my eyes out the window. My other classmates were all socializing or watching the film on the bus’s television displays. They were watching “The Island,” I had seen it before, so I wasn’t interested in watching it again. A story of a secret facility. Stories like that; they just reminded me of my past. The past I wished to remove from my story. Yet, there was nothing I could do.

So, I stared out the window, listening to piano music which played from my iPod, and hoped my secret would remain safe. It had been a long time since I last changed. I felt the creature inside me, stirring for release. I had managed to hold it back for a while now. I just hoped I wouldn’t get the urge in the mountains. 

The school running club. That was what I was part of. I decided joining any of the skills or heavy athletic clubs was not for me, so I joined the one which seemed simple and easy. It was run, running down the streets and through the tree paths with my friends. We all cooperated and encouraged each other to run faster and harder. Pushing the very limits of our strengths. Although my strength was greatly superior to theirs, I never showed it. I always maintained a slightly average pace with the group. Never in the front and never at the rear. Now we were heading down to the Bloomsday race in the United States. A twelve-kilometer race through the city of Spokane. It was a four-day trip and one we were very excited about.

We were staying at a mountain lodge amid the Rocky Mountains for the night before heading south across the Canadian United States border. When we got to the lodge, we all received our room numbers as well as our roommates. Everyone was paired up. I figured it was an exercise in team building. I never much cared for that aspect of it. I just wanted to fit in.

We relaxed by the pool, some of the students were playing some sort of chicken game near the deep end. I could see them raise people onto their shoulders and attempt to push the other pair down into the water. It looked like fun. But I was contempt with sitting in the hot tub and relaxing my body.

“Hey James, are you alright?” My friend John asked from the edge of the pool as he glanced down at me.

“Yeah, I’m fine; just happy to be here.” I replied.

“Okay, well you’ve been kind of distant from the rest of us ever since we got here, want to go for a small hike up the mountain?”

I turned to glance at the peak which we could see from the lodge. Snow covered strength peered down upon my eyes. Clouds had rolled into the area, so I couldn’t see anything besides the peek. I knew I could handle it, but I didn’t want to risk anyone else getting hurt; or worse, seeing what I was.

“No thanks, I’m good, besides we can’t see anything with this fog. It would be bad if we got hurt while trying to climb over the rocks.”

John stared at me for a second before shrugging his shoulders. “Okay, yeah, I see your point.” He left me alone and headed for the diving board by the deep end. I closed my eyes and tried to relax the urge that grew in me as I glanced at the mountain top.

After dinner we all turned in for the night. My roommate was fast asleep. He was tossed around the pool multiple times in their game, so I guessed he was exhausted and wanted to get to bed early. We had to wake up at six for a morning run down the steep mountain roadway. I don’t think anyone was looking forward to it.

While my roommate slept, I stayed awake in bed. My eyes fixed on the mountain. I could see a trail leading away from the lodge. Carved into the side of the rocky slopes. I think it was made naturally from heavy rainstorms washing away at the rocks. I saw it earlier, but decided it was best to keep hidden, no point in providing temptation to John who was always looking for it. The urge within me took hold.

“What is it?” I quietly asked, hoping I wouldn’t wake the one sleeping in the next bed over.

“Let’s go.” The voice inside me replied eagerly.

“It’s too great a risk.”

“It’s the middle of the night and come on there is a cloud overcast. No one will see us.”

I sighed quietly before rolling over to stare at the ceiling. Then to my roommate. He was rolled over, his back to me, and his breathing was slow; he was in a deep sleep. I don’t think he would hear me leave.

“Okay, but it has to be quick.” I replied before getting up.

As quietly as I could I got dressed and snuck out the window. Making sure it was closed to avoid the cold mountain air from waking my roommate up. Jumping down from the second story I quietly made my way along the path in a straight shot towards mountain pass.

The pass through the mountain was rocky. Yet there was still a path where a more stable ground lay. Meeting a small mountain of rocks which nearly barricaded my way I decided to stretch my legs with a small challenge. As I climbed over the rocks, I noted the path which was cut between them. An easy opportunity for any climber to get a break. One I decided I would take upon my decent.

We broke the cloud line as we climbed the rocks, and our eyes met a large open space. The rocks around the space seemed to shimmer as light from the stars overhead reflected amid a large pool. Steam was slowly rising from it before evaporating above the rock lines. Which appeared to reflect the light back to the sky.

“Wow, who would have thought a spring would have formed here?” I asked as I gazed at the smooth rock which had been worn away over time and which now lined the area around where we stood. It shimmered like diamond.

“That’s one hell of a find. This must have formed thousands of years ago, before the mountain covering it was worn away through time.” I heard in my head.

“We should come back here sometime.”

“This might make a fine little retreat should we need it. Anyway, lets get going.”

“Okay, let’s do this, but let me say again; we are only going for a quick flight, nothing major tonight.”

“I know, it’s just been so long since we last stretched our wings.”

I chuckled. She sounded excited.

Closing my eyes, I focused my mind on hers. The surge of energy flowed through my body as our spirits connected. I relaxed my body to allow for my wings to form from within with minimal pain. I still winced as they sprung out of my back. Falling on all fours I felt my skin crawl as the cells twisted and hardened into scales. My hands and feet burned as my fingers and toes extended and grew into sharp claws. My tail shot out of my lower spinal disks with such force I had to bite my own lips to keep them shut. Feeling my neck expand and my face narrow I opened my eyes as our souls merged once again.

I never found the answer as to why I was able to merge with this creature. Once I adapted to the changes it was scary. But soon I learned to live with it. The transformation whenever we shared our bodies was still painful in ways I would never get used to.

As my wings spread open and my breathing heaved against my now enlarged muscles. I walked over to the pool which lay before me. The dragon’s head reflected against the watery surface. As the moon came out from the cloudy overcast the features were brightened in ways the sun could not match. The coloring of my dark scales radiating amid the red membranes which spread over my black wings.

As I breathed in, glancing skyward in the process, I enjoyed the peace and quiet of what I was. At least that’s what I hoped for.

The pebble was small enough she would easily have missed it, but the sound it made from being disturbed and thrust down the rocky slope below was still enough for me to hear. As I quickly turned my head my gold dragon eyes came face to face with dark brown ones. The girl peaked from behind a rock, her mouth open, but her expression something else.

I turned and stared at her. She was scared, that was obvious; but amid the fear I could see another emotion coming forth. As she stepped out from behind the rock, her bath robe clinging to her skin, she took a step in my direction.

“James?” she questioned softly as she took another step.

I turned so my entire being was straight with hers. My wings were tucked in and my tail dragged behind me. Taking my first step towards her I noticed her expression. It hadn’t changed. There was still that fire burning in her eyes. A fire I feel like I once held myself. When I first stretched my hand forward back at the facility. Taking the first step towards something new.

Cautiously the girl, who I now recognized as Amanda, one of the girls who ran with us in the club, reached forward with a hand. My eyes immediately turned to it. She stopped moving as my eyes turned. Staying there for a moment I glanced over the outstretched hand, then at the eyes of the girl.

Taking the next step, I extended my claw and allowed Amanda to place her hand upon it. As she touched my scales her eyes darted to mine. Something within me told me this leap of faith, this simple act of trusting someone with my secret, was the best thing that could have happened on this trip.

Our little mountain secret.

April 13, 2021 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Cliff McElrea
07:35 May 16, 2021

Suspenseful! I wasn't expecting a happy ending.

Reply

Michael McGee
15:26 May 18, 2021

Were you expecting destruction and carnage?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.