40 comments

Fiction Funny Friendship

It was a hot July afternoon. Theo was off, heading to his important meeting at the Environment Arts and Crafts building. It was a busy afternoon for him. After his tuition class (which he had to beg his teacher to end the class 20 minutes early after giving him a fake excuse), he was panting, running towards the building. He didn't even have enough breath to cross the street.

Well, while he was running towards the end of the sidewalk, he saw a person.Β 

Is it Marvin? Nah, it can't be! Why would he be out and about right now! He's supposed to be in England!Β Theo thought as he continued to run.

Soon, when he reached the end of the poorly paved sidewalk, he was surprised.

"Marvin?! Wh–why are you here? Aren't you and your family supposed to be in England, touring around?" he asked his friend.

"Oh, about that Marvin," I saw him looking down to his shoes, "when we went there yesterday the flights from here to England got canceled, they told us the flights wouldn't start running until next week, which is another six more days. So, I'm just pretty bummed out about that, Theo."Β 

"Sad, that shouldn't have happened."

"Yeah,"

"But, why didn't you call me, or something? I was pretty confused when I saw you today." He asked him the question which was pondering inside my brain this entire time we were having this conversation.

"Well, I kind of felt a little sad about it, and I wanted to tell you personallyβ€”kind of like how I told you right now," he explained.

Theo shrugged.

But Theo did get a good idea though. Since he had nothing to do and was just probably taking a walk outside, he decided to bring Marvin along to where he was going.

"Hey, Marvin, why exactly are you outside right now?" Theo asked his friend.

"Well, I just wanted to clear my mind, which is why I thought to take a walk outside, though the weather is exactly what a person would define asΒ pleasant," he told the boy.

"I'm guessing you're bored, right?"

"Yeah, kind of. If I hadn't met you right now, not gonna lie, I was about to walk straight home," he replied, which made Theo kind of sad. Then he thought about his perfect timing to cross that sidewalk, which made him happy that his friend wouldn't be so bored anymore.

"Can I show you a place? Remember whenever you invited me to your house on Monday afternoons, I couldn't go?" Theo prompted him, and he shook his head in agreement.

"Of course! It was like you were doing something else secretly all the time, without anyone knowing." Marvin spoke.

"Today is your lucky day Marvin! I'll show you where I went all this time, ok? But promise me to not tell anyone about this, ok?" Theo had warned him.

He was really serious about it. He hadn't even told Marvin, his best friend since they were three, about his once-a-week meetings every Monday.

"I promise you, I won't tellΒ anyoneΒ about this. But I am pretty excited for where you're going to take me!" he exclaimed, which made Theo laugh a bit too.

After the two boys had crossed the street, Theo came in front of Marvin and lead the way. He kept glancing at his watch and saw that he was a couple of minutes late. But he didn't worry too much about that. Once his peers saw a new member added to their group, Theo was sure that all of them were going to be very impressed.

Besides, Marvin had an elective in art, and he even went to art classes, so this new activity was going to be a breeze for himβ€”at least that's what Theo thought.

✰✰✰

It had been quite some time since the two were fast-walking until they reached the front door of the conversation room door. First, they had to walk a humongous hallway which led all the little rooms to one room, toward the end of the hallway.Β 

Theo knocked on the door, hoping for them to open quickly.

"You're going toΒ loveΒ it, Marvin," Theo whispered into Marvin's ear.

"Are you sure?" he wasn't confident, and Theo could tell that from the tone of his voice.

Actually, he couldn't blame the kid. Naturally, he had been a little quiet all the time. Marvin wasn't exactly considered as an "introvert", but just a shy kid, who only opens up once you get to know him. So, maybe fitting in this group would be a little harmful to him. But Theo didn't mind too much. He was there with Marvin, so he would always have him with his friend by his side. Theo had a very good feeling about all of this.

"Of course, Marvin. Everything will be fine, I can assure you. In fact, this meeting is fun. It's a new hobby for me, though it's my fourth year being in the group. Maybe the first couple of classes might not be that fun for you, because getting to know the other kids in the group and what this class is all about might take a little time. But trust me, the teacher, Mr. Bowie is so fun. He takes these classes just to spend more time with students, so he'll be glad to have you as a new student in the class." he tried to tell Marvin that.

"But, don't I have to apply to be here? Shouldn't my parents know all of this?" he asked.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, umm...these classes are for free. You see, we do things that normal people don't. You might call these activities a bit...unique, and a little weird. But they're really fun."

"Ok, I guess," he replied.

Suddenly the door opened.

"Hey, T-Man! What's up? Also, is this a new student?" one of the kids asked Theo.

"Hey M! Yup, he's my friend. He wants to try out a new class today." Theo explains to the boy, and he signals everyone a thumbs-up sign.

"So, what is this class?" Marvin asked.

"WELCOME TO TREE-SHAPING CLASS!! This is where you make art by cutting trees!"

Marvin was looking at everyone in a daze. He couldn't believe what he had gotten himself into.

~The End~


January 26, 2021 23:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

06:35 Jan 27, 2021

"I was pretty confused when I saw you today." She asked him the question which was pondering inside my brain this entire time we were having this conversation. First, who's she in this line? I might have missed something while reading and I'd love you to clarify. What I love about this story is how well you've brought out your characters. That's a pretty good move. I got to know them and understand them. You did your suspense well too. I was wondering what the class was about and was almost tempted to find out first before continuing the ...

Reply

Oops, yes, I didn't mean to say 'she', so sorry about that. Someone else pointed that out too! But I'll definitely change that Abigail, thanks for letting me know. I am so glad you liked the story. This was my favorite comment so far for this story, so thank you so much. Your support means a lot. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mou Sur
17:07 Jan 28, 2021

Hey Haripriya! great job! Loved it :)

Reply

Mou Sur
20:47 Jan 28, 2021

Best wishes for your next story. This time I wrote a poetry along with a small story.Hope you'll like it :)

Reply

Thank you. Oh wow, really? I bet I'll like...no LOVE it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
XANDER DMER
19:53 Jan 27, 2021

Hey Laila :) :) I Love It! Keep Writing! Im doing a part 2 to my story "Never Ending Blizzard" Also Im going to drop a new story sometime tomorrow :)

Reply

XANDER DMER
12:40 Jan 28, 2021

No Problem Laila! :) :) :) Thanks :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
23:21 Jan 26, 2021

Well done, Laila! You got me really interested in Theo and Marvin and this mysterious class they were going to. But then the story ended! It looks like you've been writing A LOT lately (and I'm sorry I have missed so many - work/school has been a little overwhelming the past few weeks) so I completely understand if this is where the story ends. But, if you are considering extending it or writing a second part, I would love to see Theo and Marvin in the tree-shaping class. You've developed some really sweet foundational characters who I ...

Reply

Thank you so much Kristin! I am so glad that you liked their mysterious class! Haha, thanks, I've just been getting the encouragement to write a lot this month for some reason, but thank you so much! :) Oooh, if you would like I will definitely try and make this a sequel! I really love your beautiful comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
19:41 Jan 28, 2021

PART 15 HAS BEEN POSTED

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maya -
15:01 Jan 28, 2021

Hey Haripriya! :DDD We're playing Skribble today at 3:30 EST if you want to join. Also, we have a new group called the Skribbls. :DDD <333333

Reply

Maya -
20:26 Jan 28, 2021

Yay here's the link: https://skribbl.io/?7jwI8HoamrKc

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hola Hari! Love this story so much. Very fun to read!!! Some corrections- 1."Oh, about that Marvin,"- "Oh, about that Theo,"?? 2."She asked him the question:- "He asked him the question"? Thats it!!! Overall amazing:DD as always!

Reply

Hello! 1. Eeek. I don't know what happened there! 2. Hehe, yes, I fixed it by reading your's and Abigail's comment. Thank you guys. Thanks Varsha.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:41 Jan 27, 2021

Yayyyyy perfect 18k points! Congrats!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.