34 comments

Fantasy

Day 1

I nearly killed a person today. To be honest, it wasn’t exactly my fault. I thought the road was completely deserted.

Let me start at the beginning.

As it neared six’ o clock in the evening, I hurried out to the back streets of my area. They’re usually deserted or crowded with high hippies who believe half the things they see are because of the marijuana they’ve been smoking. It was the perfect cover for what I was about to do.

I started off small; just summoning a little flame on my palm. It wasn’t much, just around the size of a fist. It tingled a little, but it wasn’t unpleasant. I decided I wouldn’t go much further than that for the first day. I didn’t want to risk starting the Great Fire of the 21st Century.

I tried the same flame out with my left hand. Again, it was all fine. I thought, for a second, that I had it under control, but that feeling was swiftly banished when I tried growing the flame to a telephone size, and it expanded faster than a bullet, enveloping my whole body in a white, hot, smokeless embrace.

I couldn’t see anything; a major cause for my panic. In my overenthusiastic yet futile attempts to get rid of the fire, I must have launched a tongue of the flames across the road, because after I passed out and woke up, I saw a large black ashy mark right above a peacefully sleeping man.

I decided it was enough for a day, and raced back home before I was arrested.

Day 2

I don’t know whether I can be classified as a superhero. I certainly don’t fulfill many of the ‘requirements’ that an average superhero is supposed to.

I don’t have a tragic origin story, for one. Which basically means that I don’t have a lost loved one that I want to avenge. My mother, though, passed away last year of cancer. Nothing like a car crash or something dramatic that can actually be a cleverly concealed murder.

My father has been at a mental institution for the past eleven years. He suffers from Alzheimer’s and doesn’t remember either my mother or me very clearly. But again, nothing that can be maliciously induced.

I do live at a ‘social home’, though; one box checked.

Superheroes differ in many ways. Which relative is tragically killed (thus motivating them to fight), their powers, their wealth, etc. etc. But one thing common to all of them, a universal trait, is their sense of morality. Every superhero is driven by a strong sense of right and wrong, and a desire, even passion, to fight injustice. I don’t feel that. I know I have powers that can be used for good, and I plan on doing that. But I won’t do it because of my moral compass. It’s the pressure. It’s the supreme pressure that I should use this power for good. To put it in the words of one of the patrons of my ‘social home’: “The ability to do good brings with it the responsibility to do so.”

It’s not like I have to follow such aphorisms, but somehow I feel compelled to do so.

I know I don’t want to be a super villain, though. They usually end up dead, imprisoned or turn into a superhero, which is the only happy ending for them. I don’t want to die or go to jail. And going to the trouble of having an existential crisis and turning virtuous at the last minute is too much work.

On a side note, I progressed a little in my practice today. The flame covered my entire arm, and didn’t balloon when I tried to intensify it. I considered this the first successful trial of my powers.

Day 3

This whole flame powers thing is turning out to be a real struggle A real goddamn curse.

 I didn’t want to risk going back to the same street again, especially since the hippie I nearly roasted recognized me the last time, so I decided to practice on a rooftop.

I won’t say I didn’t get the idea from Spiderman, because I did, but his powers and my powers are drastically different. I just chose a rooftop because it seemed like a nice deserted place.

The problem was which rooftop to choose. I briefly wondered whether to choose the abandoned food grain storage warehouse a few kilometres from my ‘social home’, but then remembered it had sloping roofs. So that was out of the question.

I tried to get up this apartment complex block, but the door to the terrace was locked, and I didn’t want the security asking me too many questions.

I finally settled on an empty house for rent a few streets behind my ‘social home’. It had a wide terrace made up of stone. It was also quite tall, so hopefully no one would notice anything amiss. Even if they did, they’d probably put it down to firecrackers.

Once I finished revising the basics, I decided to try something a little more ambitious. I shot a burst of fire up in the sky. Well, at least, it was supposed to be a burst; it was more like a long train that I could control only by clapping my other palm on this one.

By the end of the day, though, I had it figured out. I could now successfully shoot fire cannonballs.

Day 4

My fire cannonballs got hotter and more concentrated. They were more like bullets today. I spent the whole of the day perfecting the art of shooting them at a particular target.

My targets were a bunch of pillows I had bought from the furniture store down the street. I missed the first pillow by a meter-and-a-half, but I was happy that my cannonball had gotten smaller. The second pillow was better; I missed only by a few centimetres. The third was worse. The fourth was better. And so on.

By the fourteenth pillow, I could shoot a six centimetre diameter bullet at a pillow from a distance of fifty meters.

I was extremely pleased with the progress I had made. Fire powers are not as easy to control as they seem like in movies and books, but my efforts till now had paid off.

I also checked whether I was immune to fire. I mean, I was immune to the fire I myself produced, but I wasn’t sure about ordinary, matchstick flames. So I grabbed a lighter I had stolen from the addict watchman of my ‘social house’ and flicked it open.

I touched the flame gingerly; with just the tip of my index finger. It stung a little more than my flames, but I could bear it. So I was immune. My powers may not turn out to be such a curse after all.

Day 5

I visited my father today, in the hospital. It was spread over a vast area, with lush green lawns and tall white buildings rising occasionally. My father was in Block B; the second residential area.

I was driven by one of the caretakers of the ‘social home’, but she left after she signed me in, handing me some money and asking me to take an auto rickshaw back. It seemed she couldn’t care less about me.

I didn’t mind.

My bag was taken on entry, and I was only allowed to eat a sticky toffee that had been rotting in it for a few weeks before I was shunted off to the Visiting Room.

My father was sitting in one of the corner tables, the one to the very left. He said, in my previous visit, that it gave him a feeling of comfort and coziness unmatched by any other table.

I walked past the other white tables, shoes tapping on the white-tiled floor, till I dragged the white chair and seated myself opposite the patient.

“Hello, Dad,” I said. He nodded, eyes focusing on me. “Hello, son. How are you?”

His voice was bright, cheerful. One of his good days then, I thought.

“Fine, Dad,” I replied equally cheerfully. “How about you?”

“I’d be doing just fine if they didn’t keep me locked up here all day.”

“Dad, did I ever tell you that I had fire powers?”

I had told him. Every week, when I came to visit. He had never believed me, not once, and never remembered it the next week. It was a constant cycle, but one that I was glad for.

My father shook his head. “Fire powers?” He toyed with the sleeve of his shirt, where it was slowly beginning to fray. It was a favorite exercise of his when he felt the conversation had taken a boring turn.

“Yeah. I’m immune to fire too.”

“Oh, really? So if you were caught in a burning building, you’d come out completely unscathed?” He stopped touching his sleeve.

“I guess so, Dad. I don’t want to try it, though.”

My dad laughed. “You better not.”

We sat in silence for a while. Very soon, it got awkward, so my dad asked, “How’s school?”

It was a stock question. Normally, he would ask this to break a silence, like this particular instance.

“Good,” I said. “It’s all fine. I’m doing pretty well.”

We sat in silence again, till his caretaker told me I had to leave. I left, as usual, without saying goodbye.

Day 6

I think I’m getting better at controlling the amount and intensity of the flames I can summon. I bought about ten more pillows and practiced shooting again today, with A+ results.

I also tried to summon a little fire away from me; not on my body, but it didn’t work. Seems like I still have a long way to go for that.

After I master that, maybe I’ll try flying like Iron Man.

On another note, I saw a theft today. My first chance to put my powers to proper use.

I was returning from my practice, along the usual route. About halfway through, I hit a particularly shop-filled street, which counter-intuitively, is almost always devoid of people. Anyway, I was coming along this road, and I saw a man buying some milk. He didn’t look suspicious; in fact, quite the contrary. Well-dressed, neatly combed hair, an expensive watch.

When the shopkeeper went to his storage room at the back, this customer looked around furtively and pulled a plastic jar at the edge of the counter towards him. With a little jolt, I saw that it was money.

I don’t think I meant to react. It just happened instinctively. My hand shot a small bullet. It was just an ember really, to sting his hand a little. Nothing too large or too painful.

Unfortunately, I missed, hitting the jar instead, puncturing a neat hole in it. The money caught fire instantly. The thief jumped back, startled and screaming. I made a break for it.

Day 7

I wonder if my powers will ever actually be put to use. I realized that they’re not a very effective crime-fighting tool. They’re more of a psycho, instant-kill tool, and that's a little hard to control.

Powers like invisibility or flying or super-speed are easier to use if you’re not looking to murder anyone.

I wonder if all the hours I’ve spent struggling to explore and master the nuances of literal fire-fighting are all a monumental waste of time. Absolutely fruitless. Useless. Hopeless. Unserviceable. Unrewarding.

It’s a bit worrying how many synonyms for useless I know.

But in the end I guess, it all boils down to philosophy. Does everything have a purpose? Does everything need to have a purpose? And so on. They’re questions I’d rather not bother myself with.

So I’ve decided that I am going to perfect this. It doesn’t matter whether it’s going to be used or not. If I try hard enough, I may be able to find a purpose for it (maybe a BBQ stall owner).

In the end, the struggle has to be worth it. I’m not sure Nature would work any other way. Again, this is a philosophical question I’d rather leave to Michel de Montaigne:

“There is nothing useless in Nature. Not even uselessness itself.”

August 09, 2020 11:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

This was very satisfying to read. I like how the writing was set up. Your ending line was awesome, really tied the story altogether. Now if you can, please go check out my latest story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

This was very satisfying to read. I like how the writing was set up. Your ending line was awesome, really tied the story altogether. Now if you can, please go check out my latest story.

Reply

Nandan Prasad
01:29 Aug 14, 2020

Thanks so much! Sure, I’ll check out your new story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scout Tahoe
14:12 Aug 10, 2020

Hey Nandan, Thanks so much for commenting on my story. I'm really glad I read this, because it's really good and so inspirational. I absolutely love the fire powers and the character's voice in the story. I'm just curious: What's the character's name? Anyways, stay safe and keep writing, -Scout

Reply

Nandan Prasad
15:37 Aug 10, 2020

Thanks so much! I decided to leave both the character's name and gender to the reader. Whatever makes them connect to the character. And hey, commenting on your story was no problem. It was really good!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
16:42 Aug 10, 2020

Thanks! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
09:11 Aug 20, 2020

Hi Nandan! Here from the Critique Circle :) Beautiful story. I loved how you portrayed the story in the form of a journal. And the narrator was very interesting. The only thing that I felt was that maybe you could make the plot a little more clear. And the rest of the story, of course, is amazing! Great job! :)

Reply

Nandan Prasad
10:22 Aug 20, 2020

Thanks so much! Your feedback is very helpful.

Reply

Pragya Rathore
10:45 Aug 20, 2020

You're most welcome! Reading this story was my pleasure :) If you get some free time, do you mind checking out my stories and commenting about what you thought of them? Thanks a lot! :)

Reply

Nandan Prasad
11:00 Aug 20, 2020

Sure! Will do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
03:12 Aug 16, 2020

Wow! I think this is the best story I’ve ever read from you. Great job Nandan!

Reply

Nandan Prasad
04:22 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you so much! It means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lee
15:18 Aug 12, 2020

Wow. At first, i was not sure I was going to like it. Why? I am an old-fashioned newspaper editor who has a little OCD. I like routines and formats. But, this one, well ... you drew me in. The emotions and the vision and the way you allowed us to imagine the story - great style! i saw a few things - some phrasing that could have been eliminated and still would have kept the concept of the story. Sometimes when write on deadline and write within a word count, we strive to meet the word count, and put in too many - does that make sense? But i...

Reply

Nandan Prasad
01:54 Aug 13, 2020

Thanks so much for the feedback! Yeah, I get a little caught up in trying to be wordy many times, so I get what you're saying. I'm trying to cut down on that. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bhuvan Prasad
08:30 Aug 12, 2020

A very well-written story. Keep writing!

Reply

Nandan Prasad
08:32 Aug 12, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Revathy .
08:28 Aug 12, 2020

Great story!

Reply

Nandan Prasad
08:32 Aug 12, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
00:19 Aug 11, 2020

A very well-written story 👏 I liked the voice of the main character, subtly enthusiastic, but terminally realistic. Great job.

Reply

Nandan Prasad
03:19 Aug 11, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy DeMatt
23:31 Aug 10, 2020

Nandan, I love this story! I related to it almost instantly--so many things we do that we do not see the utility of. My favorite aspect, however, is probably the humor! Little turns of phrase like "overenthusiastic yet futile," make me chuckle (relatable!), and "going to the trouble of having an existential crisis," (irony!) are really genius. Ordinary/extraordinary marry well here. Loved it, keep up the good work!

Reply

Nandan Prasad
03:18 Aug 11, 2020

Thanks so much! It's exactly what I was going for. This comment made my day ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jamie Limbaga
11:21 Aug 10, 2020

I'm glad you commented on my story and asked me to check yours out because I really loved this. At first it was strange cause your story reads like a monologue, but the more I read the more I fell into it and really loved what it brought. The monologue-ish approach was very personal and drew me in, and allowed you to write with more freedom and really get into the mindset and though processes of someone going through the anxiety and panic and doubt of learning a new skill with absolutely no confidence. I can imagine this being performed ...

Reply

Nandan Prasad
11:49 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you so very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writers Block
09:26 Aug 10, 2020

Wow! The main character is/has gone though a lot. The day by day paragraphs is a nice touch.

Reply

Nandan Prasad
09:39 Aug 10, 2020

Thanks so much! I was also wondering if maybe you had a better title? I thought of Ignis since Latin na!es seem to be in vogue, but then settled on Inferno. Open to suggestions though :)

Reply

Writers Block
09:46 Aug 10, 2020

Your title choices pose intrigue. I did think of one. . . .The Fire Inside.

Reply

Nandan Prasad
10:44 Aug 10, 2020

Thanks! I'll consider it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zainab Zahra
11:00 Aug 20, 2020

Thanks so much for a good story.

Reply

Nandan Prasad
11:03 Aug 20, 2020

Aw, my pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
14:54 Aug 18, 2020

Wonderful story and a solid take on the prompt. But, I saw some punctuation errors. Next time check out for those silly mistakes. But everybody does mistakes. The superhero justification was amazing. "I don't have to avenge anyone" was great. Overall, wonderful story. Keep writing. Would you mind checking out my new story "Secrets don't remain buried?"

Reply

Nandan Prasad
14:56 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks so much! Sure, I will check out your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
18:16 Aug 15, 2020

I loved this! It tackled a lot of tropes with superheroes and villains, and got down such a unique perspective of having superpowers. I can see this winning!

Reply

Nandan Prasad
04:22 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.