2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Funny Historical Fiction

It happened just right after the 2020 presidential elections. Even me being diagnosed as having Cucurbit phobia an excessive, irrational and unreasonable fear of pumpkins. Couldn’t prepare me or in other small towns in America the final results of that strange Covid-19 election.

The 331,378,104 and the 22 million legal non-citizens and 12 million illegal immigrants in our country or 10.4% of our population in America was stunned completely by the winner.

Just like when an unknown James K. Polk, was the question on everyone’s lips in 1844, when the obscure former congressman and Tennessee governor was announced as the Democratic nominee for president. The onetime commander in chief Martin Van Buren had been the presumptive favorite for the nomination, but following a heated convention, Polk had emerged as the dark horse candidate on the ninth ballot. Few believed the 49-year-old stood a chance against his Whig Party opponent Henry Clay, a wildly popular politician who was considered one of the nation’s elder statesmen. “The Democrats must be Polking fun at us!” one Whig paper joked in response to the nomination. Another group of Clay supporters was so certain of victory that they preemptively commissioned him a set of rosewood furniture for the White House bedroom. Despite the Whigs’ confidence, Polk soon gained steam thanks to an expansionist platform that supported the annexation of Texas. His campaign also launched scathing personal attacks on Clay that branded him as having a weakness for whiskey and poker. Combined with Clay’s own wavering on the Texas issue, Polk’s vision of “Manifest Destiny” proved to be the difference maker in the election and he emerged the surprise victor by just 38,000 popular votes. President Polk would go on to secure a compromise with Britain regarding the Oregon Territory and preside over the Mexican-American War, which resulted in the cession of California and the Southwest and substantially enlarged the size of the United States. Honoring a promise he had made during his campaign, he declined to seek a second term.

Many. many, many, many American people were stunned the morning after the November election to discover that Joanne Marie Jorgensen the American academic and libertarian political activist originally from the planet Mars won the election. Jorgensen was the Libertarian Party's nominee for president of the United States in the 2020 election. She was previously the party's nominee for vice president in the 1996 U.S. presidential election as the running mate of Harry Browne. She was also the Libertarian nominee for South Carolina's 4th congressional district in 1992, receiving 4,286 votes, for 2.2% of the popular vote. She crushed former President Donald Trump and presidential candidate Joe Biden.

The country and the entire planet was in shock, especially the Russians who swore on The Russian Synodal Bible and Jewel of Russia 'Ultra' Limited Edition Vodka Russia 1L at a $124.99 a bottle that they had absolutely nothing to do with changing the outcome of this election.

To win the presidency, a candidate needs 270 electoral votes, a majority of the 538 electoral votes available across the 50 states and Washington, D.C. Most states are not very competitive. In an amazing event Jorgensen took home 513 electoral votes not only making her the first female President of the United States along with having the first female Vice President with no political experience Martha Stewart.

Political conspiracy theorists believed that the New President wasn’t really an American and many believed she wasn’t even human.

During the eve of the election it was confirmed that Presidential hopeful Joanne Marie Jorgensen could be seen in every small town in American literally campaigning in person. She didn’t use any of the other candidates campaign promises such as closing billions in dollars’ worth of tax loopholes or to immediately sign climate change-focused executive orders or promising to make all dreamers legal in the United States, even that promised confused the conspiracy theorist.

This made the people in those small towns very leery and suspicious. She or it knew, everything about each and every small town in America and what they would need to enhance their existence.

Presidential candidate Jorgensen showed up physically in every small towns except for the alleged eighty-eight and perhaps as many as two hundred, black small towns throughout the Ghettos of the United States.

She vehemently campaigned in places such as Tunica is a town in and the county seat of Tunica County, Mississippi, United States, near the Mississippi River. Until the early 1990s when casino gambling was introduced in the area, Tunica had been one of the most impoverished places in the United States. Despite this economic improvement, Tunica's population continues to decline from its peak in 1970. She promised the impoverished citizens that by 2023 they would no longer have to worry about anything anymore. She used that exact same campaign speech in every small town she visited the night before the election. She only deviated from the speech in only one small town and that was Cahokia a village in St. Clair County, Illinois, United States. It was located east of the Mississippi River in the Greater St. Louis metropolitan area. As of the 2010 census, 15,241 people lived in the village, a decline from 16,391 in 2000.

At the end of each of her campaign speeches Jorgensen ended it with: Drought, plague, fire: the apocalypse feels nigh.

Then out of nowhere  presidential candidate Jorgensen, assured the last of the Native American race of people will be given back their country by the spring of 2023 if and when she wins the election.

It all happened suddenly in 2023. The new president was truly turning America and the entire world around in a positive way. All the wars have ceased immediately. There were no longer a need for the sell and distribution of any mind altering drugs and there weren’t any concerns over the ozone or climate change. Because the world had come to and abrupt end as we knew it at the time.

I’m writing this from a hidden bunker 3 miles below the surface of the earth along with the other 15, 241 former Native Americans all in part due to The Stranger.

September 18, 2020 13:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

B. W.
00:40 Sep 19, 2020

i enjoyed this and you did a great job with it ^^ 10/10

Reply

Blane Britt
07:22 Sep 19, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.