0 comments

Fantasy Adventure

The rows and rows of food trucks and gift shops wound around like a never-ending maze, bombarding Nichole with sounds of joy, scents of sugar, and a sea of bright colours. The yells of kids on roller coasters and the screams of families in the haunted house rushed into her head, making her dizzy. 

I should sit down... Nichole started to think. No. This is the fair. I should be having fun, not moping around because there’s something wrong with me. 

The colours of the screams raced in front of her eyes, making it hard to see. The tinkling smell of donuts rang in her ears. The taste of chocolate filled her mouth as she saw the words Cotton Candy on a near-by food truck. 

Nichole had synesthesia. Confusion of the senses. Noises were colours. Smells were sounds. Words always brought a taste to her mouth. 

“Hey Nic? You good?” her best friend Lucas asked, touching her. 

She jumped at the touch. “Yeah... I’m just overwhelmed.” 

“Oh...” Of course, Lucas wouldn’t understand. He wasn’t a synesthete. “Well... do you want to go on the RollerScreamer?” 

Nichole sighed. “I’m gonna go to the washroom. You go ahead. You know I don’t love roller coasters.” 

“Ok... I’ll meet you at the Horror Room soon, ok?” 

“Sure.” 

And with that, the friends went their different ways. The farther into the Conviviality Carnival that Nichole went, the more overwhelming things got. 

I’ve got to get out of here. she panicked. She picked the least colourful and quietest tent and ducked inside. 

It was empty, except for a podium that stood in the middle of the dark tent. Nichole quietly crept up the stand, looking around to see if anyone was lurking in the shadows. No one was there. 

On the podium sat an envelope. It was a pale blue (like the letter ‘w’) and felt like no other paper Nichole had ever touched. She flipped it over and saw that there was a wax seal on it bearing a strange symbol. Nichole couldn’t tell what if was. It appeared to be a jumble of letters. But if they were letters, they weren’t from any language that she Nichole knew. 

What is this place? 

She broke the seal, dying to know what was inside the letter. 

The letters scrambled around on the page, causing Nichole to drop the letter in surprise. 

The second the paper hit the ground, it disappeared. 

Nichole screamed. WHAT IS GOING ON?! 

“Hello?” a small voice said. Nichole looked around, nearly frozen with fear. 

“I’m down here.” the voice said again. Nichole looked down and saw a little boy made of what appeared to be ever-moving water. His face was never the same, his eyes looked slightly different every second, his mouth coming up then falling like a wave. 

“Who... what are you?” Nichole stuttered. 

“I’m a golem. A water golem to be exact. My name is Elami. I come from the world Edeoriel, world of Dragons. I was tasked with finding you, ColourSinger.” Elami said. 

Nichole promptly kicked the little creature across the room. 

“This is impossible... water golems don’t exist... what is happening to me?” Nichole whispered to herself. 

“I’m sorry, ColourSinger. I forgot that you have been living with humans for 14 years of year life. You don’t remember the first six...” Elami stood up, brushing off himself. 

“Are you... are you saying I’m twenty years old?” she asked him. 

“Yes, ColourSinger. You spent the first six with me and your mother, the AllSinger, former DragonSinger. Then you were stolen away because of your... unique ability.” 

Nichole thought for a minute. “You mean my synesthesia?” 

“Well, that’s what humans call it, but Edeorielians know it as the Lasik. The power of the Senses.” Elami explained. 

“This can’t be real...” 

“It is, ColourSinger.” 

“Why are you calling me that?” Nichole burst out. 

“Because you are a Singer, wielder of one of the Seven Powers: Senses, Dragons, Earth, Water, Alchemy, Animation, and Thermology. You use the Senses, which is the least common and most dangerous. People who wield the Senses wield it in different ways. Some can control what others feel, see, taste, etc. Others, like you, mix up the Senses, but can use the confusion to control the colours and sounds in the world.” 

“I can... manipulate colours?” Nichole said, stunned. 

“Yes.” 

What am I going to do? I’m not from Earth. I’m not human. I’m... I’m the ColourSinger. 

“Well, you found me. What are you going to do with me?” 

“I’m taking you back to Edeorial so you can meet your mother and become the next AllSinger.” 

“What’s the AllSinger?” 

“The AllSinger is the Queen of Edeorail. You are next in line for the throne.” 

Nichole stumbled back in surprise. “I’m going to be QUEEN?!” 

“Yes.” 

That was the moment that Lucas walked into the tent. 

“Nic? What are you doing here? AND WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING?” he yelled, pointing at Elami. 

“LUCAS!” 

“Sir, I’m sorry, but you must leave.” Elami said. 

“What?! NO! Get away from Nic!” 

“Lucas, calm down!” 

“NO! THERE IS A TALKING BLOB!!” 

“Lucas, it’s ok! Seriously, calm down.” 

“...only if you explain what’s going on.” 

They sat down and explained everything to Lucas. He sat there, not saying anything for a few minutes. 

“Your... you're not human?” he stuttered. 

“Yeah...” 

“Are you going with him?” 

Nichole thought about it. “Well, I guess I have to. If my real parents are looking for me, I need to go to them.” 

“I’ll miss you...” Lucas whispered. 

“I’ll miss you, too!” Nichole jumped forward, embracing her best friend. 

“ColourSinger? We’ve got to go. The portal is going to close soon.” Elami said, poking her arm. 

“Bye Lucas.” 

“Bye ColourSinger.” Lucas gave her a sad smile. 

Elami and ColourSinger walked toward the portal. Nichole turned around and gave one last wave to her best friend. 

“Can you explain things to my mom and dad?” she asked him. 

“Sure. Bye.” Lucas whispered. 

Elami grabbed her hand and pulled her through the portal. 

The noise and colours of Earth faded away as the ColourSinger entered Edeorail. As she entered her home. 

Nichole had lost her best friend, but she had found her home.

May 07, 2021 19:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.