171 comments

General

Just like a traffic light, I believe there are three types of people in this world.


There is red: dangerous to be crossed over. These people are the ones who you will never befriend, the ones whose personality never match yours. And that’s Bella.


How do I know this fact? Because I happened to overhear a phone call that she had in the old park behind the school building, the phone call that made me realize the personality of the school’s cheerleader squad captain.


The phone call that made me understand how this beautiful, well-respected, famous girl in our high school was faking herself.


“What? Why can’t I go to the party?” Bella asked. Her tone sounded upset.


The person on the other end mumbled his reply that I couldn’t quite catch. The reply that made the redhead girl looking even grimmer.


“I can assure you it’s safe, Papa,” Bella replied. This time, I could tell from the tone that she tried to persuade the other person.


Again, the person answered Bella. The answer that made Bella clicking her tongue in annoyance. 


“You are unreasonable, Papa! The party is going to start at 8, and you want me home by 10? They are going to call me a loser! I might even get bullied for this, you know? Do you want me to suffer?” Bella threw a tantrum, slightly threatening her father on the receiving end.


Yet again, the person answered her, this time with some long sentences. The sentences that made Bella roll her eyes while tapping her feet continuously as she listened to it.


“Ugh, you never understand! Fine, whatever you say, I’m still coming to the party tonight!” The angered girl then ended the call right away.


So, would you call a person who fought their father for a trivial matter as “nice”? 


Well, I wouldn’t.


---


Just like the traffic light, there is the green: allowing people to pass. These people are the kindest ones who never blame others for their mistakes, letting them walk away without burden. And that’s Kevin.


How do I know this fact? Because I happened to find the boy who disappeared eight years ago, the boy whom I thought to have died in the car accident. The boy who used to be all smiles back then, the same boy who suddenly jumped from the bridge as he tried to take his own life when I met him once again.


The same boy that made me dive and swam against the flow while dragging him to the rocky area beside the river. The same boy whom I never talked to, but scolded right away.


“I don’t know what your experiences were, but don’t throw away your life!”


Upon my sentence, I could see Kevin lowering his head while his shoulder shivered. I couldn’t tell whether that was from his emotions or the coldness of the water that drenched his entire outfit.


“I don’t know you, but can you listen to my stories?” Kevin asked while he put his arms around his knees, hiding his face from me.


“Sure,” I sat beside Kevin, the boy who made my heart flutter back in high school, the boy who stayed in the same position without saying anything for a while. 


The boy who then broke the silence with a single sentence, “I…, I am a murderer.”


I doubted my hearing at that time. “A… what?”


“A murderer. I killed someone,” Kevin restated his sentence.


I became speechless, unsure which words I should use to reply to him. And to this silence, Kevin turned his head towards me. “Eight years ago, I was driving a car with my girlfriend, Bella. I was driving my father’s car although I had no license. And that killed her. And I…, I felt so bad…,” Kevin let out more words. 


The boy with dark brown hair beside me took a deep breath, then continued his story. “We were having a conversation. I couldn’t quite remember what was it about; I replied to her without much thinking since I was too focused on the road.”


“Then?”


“Then at one point, she asked me to look at the sunset outside. Stupidly, I did.”


“And that led to the crash?”


Kevin nodded his head. “The car went to the other lane, where a teal-coloured truck drove towards us. I…, I panicked and turned the steer as quickly as I can, but maybe it was too late by then.”


“So you crashed to the truck?”


The boy shook his head. “We fell off the cliff.”


I could see tears started to well on Kevin’s eyes as he recalled the memories from the accident.


And while thinking for a reply, I tapped Kevin’s back, supported him as he sniffled, supported him as he let out his cry for a couple of minutes. 


And when he managed to stop his tears, I asked, “Where were you going back then?”


“The observatory on the mountaintop.”


“Why there?”


“Because Bella wanted to. Because she said watching the stars with me would relax her from the stalker.”


I frowned. “Stalker?”


Kevin let out a sigh. “The afternoon before the accident, Bella was mad. She said there was a stalker; a girl who keeps following the two of us, a girl with dark green eyes.”


So, would you call someone who carried the burden on their own, to the point they wanted to kill themselves as “happy”?


Well, I wouldn’t.


---


As you know, between red and green in the traffic light, there is the yellow light: sometimes letting you go, then forcing you to stop, depending on the timing and situation. These people are the ones who seem without harm but might change according to the context. And that’s who I am.


How do I know this fact?


Because when my first love told the story of how he accidentally killed his girlfriend, I fully sympathized with him, while feeling happy that Bella had died.


Because when Kevin uncovered the reason behind their last trip, I genuinely listened to it, while feeling happy knowing that Bella recognized the green-eyed stalker.


All while rejoicing the fact that green-eyed stalker indirectly caused Bella’s death.


All while knowing who the green-eyed stalker was.


So, to whoever reading this…, can you keep a secret from Kevin?


A secret that the green-eyed stalker was me.


Yes, me, the girl who saved his life, eight years after Bella’s death.


Yes, me, the girl whom he dated for two years; the one that he just knelt to propose to.


Well, you've read all this. Now, you would have to keep this secret of mine, wouldn’t you? :).

August 21, 2020 02:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

171 comments

Velma Darnell
09:28 Aug 25, 2020

That's a very well-written story, Deborah! I liked the plot twist and how you used colors of traffic light here, it's amazing. Keep writing :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:03 Aug 26, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the story, Velma! Thank you for reading :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tariq Saeed
06:58 Aug 25, 2020

A good style.The comparison of light with human is very philosophical.I like it.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:03 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for reading it, Tariq! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
05:49 Aug 25, 2020

Wonderful story.Great job👍. Would you mind to read my story “The dragon warrior?”

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:04 Aug 26, 2020

Sure, will read yours as soon as I have the chance :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily K
04:01 Aug 25, 2020

I really liked this! The concept with the traffic light was so creative and fit very well into your story. I would suggest trying to show rather than tell, but other than that I really enjoyed your story! :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:04 Aug 26, 2020

Will keep that feedback in mind, Emily!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anusha Saha
02:11 Aug 25, 2020

This was a really amazing story! Loved it. The ending was a shocker.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:05 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Anusha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Andrews
02:00 Aug 25, 2020

Great to see another colour-themed story with Bella, Kevin and the girl with green eyes. I’ waiting now to see how many more variations on the story we get - I change my mind about which characters I like with each new story!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:05 Aug 26, 2020

Glad that you are enjoying the series, Jane! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aveena Bordeaux
01:47 Aug 25, 2020

:D This was amazingly written. I loved how you connected the characters to traffic lights and that twist at the end was great!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:05 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for enjoying the story and the twist, Joy :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:58 Aug 25, 2020

I love how you connect your stories, I really enjoyed this one too.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:05 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the stories, Catherine!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
N. Thorne
23:03 Aug 24, 2020

Great short story with continuous action that kept me reading! The traffic light analogy was great and the way you tied everything together in the end was so good! I love to be surprised by an ending! Great job with this one!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:06 Aug 26, 2020

Thank you for reading! I'm glad that you enjoyed it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
22:42 Aug 24, 2020

HOLY SHIZ! What a little snake! I really liked this twist, you did a great job! Is this chain of events coming full circle or is there still more to come?

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:50 Aug 24, 2020

There are more to come! :D

Reply

Sunny 🌼
23:36 Aug 24, 2020

I cant wait! I'm all caught up to whats happening.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
21:45 Aug 24, 2020

Fabulous, Deborah! That traffic light metaphor was brilliant and I love how you structured the story with each of the different colors. And of course, the twist makes it even more delicious. I mean, it's a sad story of course.... but you wrote it so well that I really loved it!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:50 Aug 24, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed it, Kristin! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Rothery
12:33 Aug 24, 2020

Great story, love the cheeky twist!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:51 Aug 24, 2020

Haha, thank you for reading it, Mary! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
12:24 Aug 24, 2020

It's a wonderful story! Please read my latest story The Secret Organisation { Part 2 }

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:51 Aug 24, 2020

Sure will do, Amogh! :D

Reply

Amogh Kasat
05:00 Aug 25, 2020

I would be waiting for your comment and like

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:20 Aug 28, 2020

Just did, Amogh! Sorry for the delayed response

Reply

Amogh Kasat
05:23 Aug 29, 2020

I GOT YOUR RESPONSE

Reply

Amogh Kasat
05:23 Aug 29, 2020

I AM FOLLOWING YOU WATTPAD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Fraser Ramus
11:57 Aug 24, 2020

That was a great story. Well written and I very much enjoyed it. Loved the traffic lights idea

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:52 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Fraser :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dev Raj Singh
06:22 Aug 24, 2020

This was awesome, Deborah! The way you used traffic light as an analogy, the way you described your characters and finally the way you brought the pieces in the story together - everything worked so well. Kudos! :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:52 Aug 24, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the story, Dev! Thank you for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:19 Aug 24, 2020

I loved how you revolved it around the traffic lights! There's something I've never read before. I loved it!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:52 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Angelina :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
02:37 Aug 24, 2020

Such a good read! I love this so much.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:53 Aug 24, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the story, Sarah! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katina Foster
22:35 Aug 23, 2020

I like the device you used for telling this story - the traffic lights. Nice work! There are some places where you might want to check the verb tenses for clarity. For example, "The same boy that made me dive and swam..." would be clearer as, "The same boy that made me dive and swim..." Even better would be turning it from passive to active voice - "The same boy I saved, diving and swimming against the flow..." You definitely have a strong voice and know how to build suspense. Keep writing!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:53 Aug 24, 2020

Oooh, now that you mentioned it, it certainly would be better in active voice! Thank you for the feedback, Katina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tess Bloom
21:00 Aug 23, 2020

I thought Grey Clouds kind of ended on a cliff-hanger, so I'm happy you made this one. I love this one as much as the first.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:54 Aug 24, 2020

I feel exactly the same about Grey Clouds, so I decided to do this one ;). Thank you for enjoying the stories, Tess!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lee
20:33 Aug 23, 2020

Hey, I enjoyed the story. Though I felt like I have read it before somewhere. It was good. A couple of things - and please don't hate me - I was confused during some of it, and had to go back and reread. I am the type of reader who will shut down and close a book if I come across something that is hard to read. A few of your sentences didn't quite gel. In other words, I think if you went back over and reread the story, and made some adjustments - like put one sentence here and rewrite a few, and look at your verb tenses, and then read...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:55 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you for the feedback! I've passed the deadline to edit this story, but will have a look at my saved documents and make readjustment :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.