1289 comments

Sad Speculative

Warning: This story includes content on OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and self-deprecating thoughts that may trigger some readers. Please avoid reading this story if you have experienced any or both of the above.

Achebe.

Your face crinkles, like the paper balls you would throw at her behind Rox's back. Your tears attempt to cling to your eyelashes but fail and slide off, falling onto the hair you haven't washed in days.

With trembling eyes, you look up, around the dusty room, where ripped pages and empty snack wrappers flutter around like butterflies. Where dust motes glint in the afternoon light peeking through your window, where teary tissues rest, crumpled, tossed around, where day-old food sits at the bottom of your door, slid under by your worrying parents.

I killed her yesterday.

Yes, you did. You've known that for a while.

How?

You pushed her off a cliff. You know these things.

Why?

You were angry. Capricious. Hateful. Envious. Bitter. You were embarrassed. 

Wasn't it angering when Rox decided to spend time with her instead of you?

Wasn't it embarrassing when Achebe was Rox's partner in school projects, and you weren't?

Yes. It was disgusting, strange, appalling. How could that girl take up my friend's attention? 

Haven't you ever thought that it could be Rox's fault?

How?

She made a different friend. She spent time with her without you. She dared to leave you out.

How could they imagine doing such things to me?

The human mind is a fragile, dangerous thing. Tread too heavily, and it turns against you. It's a vulnerable bird; treat it gently, and it trusts you, or rush it, and it pecks and flees.

You were possessive, jealous, and clumsy with your words, letting them slip out of your reach and shatter on the ground. You have always been the evil person in this situation. You deserve to go to jail. You don't deserve to have your family, to be living in this house, to get anything. 

I know. I don't deserve any of it. I don't deserve anything, because it's all my fault.

Good to know that you're understanding. Don't talk to anyone anymore. You're evil. Do you want to hurt those people as well?

No.

Do you want to annoy them with your presence, your thoughts, your issues?

No. I don't want to annoy my family. I don't want to hurt my friends.

Good. Keep it that way. Stay in this room and this room only so that you don't hurt or annoy anyone. 

The only person you should talk to is Roxanne. Beg her for forgiveness, or else she won't want to be your friend anymore. Or else she'll tell your family, and they won't want to be related to you anymore.

Okay. 

Don't stop texting her and apologizing until she says she forgives you.

Okay.

Do you want that no one will love you anymore?

No.

Are you sure?

Yes.

Then be perfect.

Bury this in the past and plant flowers on its grave; grow, become beautiful, inside and out. Become a child your parents will be proud of, become a friend Roxanne will care about, become a student your teachers admire, become a person that everyone likes. 

How?

Don't cry. Don't show any negative emotions. Only show smiles, gentle words, elegant gestures, like a doll. 

Become a doll. Perfect, smiling, beautiful, flawless. No one cares if you're hollow on the inside, as long as you have everything on the outside.

Okay. A doll. I will become a doll. I will neither show my emotions nor my flaws and imperfections.

Good. Start by cleaning your room. No one likes messy people. Don't allow even a speck of dust to intrude upon the floors. If you do, no one will love you. No one will care about you anymore. 

You're not clean enough. Go shower again. What if everyone thinks you're dirty? What if you go back to your dirty old ways and become evil and hurt-or kill-someone all over again?

Pick a white dress. Bright colors are not appropriate for you. They make you seem like you're an attention-seeker. That was the reason why Achebe died, because you wanted all of Rox's attention. If you don't wear white, your brother dies.

Put the dress on again. Do you want to look messy?

Again. You look like a witch.

Again. You look like you just ran ten miles.

Are your arms sore from putting on a dress three times? You're lazy, then. No one likes lazy people, tired people, aching people. As practice, put on the dress and take it off again and again until you reach fifty times. It has to be fifty. 

Smile. Why are you frowning? Are you going to kill someone again?

Why can't you? You're a doll. Remember that. Smile no matter what. You don't have a choice. No smile means you're evil. Do you want to hurt Roxanne?

You're listening now. You listen to everything that the voice says because you don't want to become evil. 

You sit at your computer, a smile so wide and fake it's plastic, as perfectionism falls into your arms, leads you to the dance floor, moves with your every step. 

Irony steals you from your dance partner, taking you by the hand, twirling you round and round, as you remember Achebe. Achebe, the African beauty. Achebe, African for protected by the Goddess.

It seems her protection just wasn't strong enough.

Roxanne hasn't texted you back, and Achebe won't return to life, but if you're perfect, if you're a doll, maybe it'll happen. After all, dolls bring magic to the lives of children, and you might have magic as well if you're good enough.

Jealousy is a one-way road; many will enter, but no one will leave.

Possessiveness is a trap; spikes of steel trapping your ankle, hindering your motions, hindering your common sense, hindering your empathy, your realism.

Anger is a glass of water; too many drops, and it will overflow.

Insanity is a casket; only those who are dead will enter and stay.

December 04, 2020 23:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1289 comments

B. W.
01:24 Mar 06, 2021

Well, I don't think Koi would have to be in the demi-god series, she could be in something completely different. Though if she was in it and was the demi-god child of a fire god/goddess, then that would be a little interesting.

Reply

Laiba M
12:36 Mar 06, 2021

Oooh, that would be cool! Maybe she'd be made fun of for being named after a fish when she has a fire deity parent, but when she finally met her god/goddess parent, she realized that she was named Koi on purpose. The divine parent would tell her that the reds, oranges, and yellows of koi fish represented the fire in her, and them living in water all the time meant she was in a different place from the gods and goddesses when she was born-not with demigods either, but with humans. So even though she had fire in her, she lived in water because...

Reply

B. W.
16:28 Mar 06, 2021

Instead of her being a Greek Demi-god or any of the other ones that have been in my stories, she was a Hawaiian demi-god? Have you ever heard of Pele before?

Reply

Laiba M
17:27 Mar 06, 2021

Oooh, that'd be so cool! And yes, I've heard of Pele. That's really interesting and would fit the name!

Reply

B. W.
18:36 Mar 06, 2021

So random question, who's your least favorite god/goddess? It can be from any mythology and stuff.

Reply

Laiba M
22:12 Mar 06, 2021

Zeus, no doubt. He doesn't rule with his head, has a big ego, anger issues, very overrated, not nice to many gods/goddesses, thinks of humans as a lot more inferior than they actually are, and a lot more. You?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
15:46 Mar 05, 2021

Have you seen the new prompts?

Reply

Laiba M
15:55 Mar 05, 2021

Yeah, and I love them!!! What about you~?

Reply

B. W.
15:57 Mar 05, 2021

I really like the first one, I might try to use it to continue OtherWorldly Repairs.

Reply

Laiba M
18:35 Mar 05, 2021

Oooh! I'm so excited, haha!!! Which one, though? I don't know if your first one is the same as mine~~

Reply

B. W.
18:54 Mar 05, 2021

The one with the character not being able to remember the date since all of the days are almost the same

Reply

Laiba M
19:00 Mar 05, 2021

That would really fit with the theme!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:49 Mar 04, 2021

Heyyy

Reply

Laiba M
01:28 Mar 04, 2021

Hiiii

Reply

B. W.
02:45 Mar 04, 2021

How are you doing?

Reply

Laiba M
11:40 Mar 04, 2021

I'm really, really good!!! What about you??

Reply

B. W.
14:56 Mar 04, 2021

I guess I'm doing fine like usual, have I told you yet that I made another new story a while ago?

Reply

Laiba M
15:04 Mar 04, 2021

Good to hear! And yeah, you did, I read it, and really loved it!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
04:29 Mar 03, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Laiba M
12:16 Mar 03, 2021

Thank you! I'm glad you were able to connect with it-that was my goal! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
06:56 Mar 02, 2021

Guess what :D

Reply

Laiba M
11:43 Mar 02, 2021

What??? :D

Reply

B. W.
17:13 Mar 02, 2021

I finally got a new story out! Could you check out "Ayan the hotel Ghost" and then leave some feedback?

Reply

Laiba M
19:00 Mar 02, 2021

I'm so glad your writer's block cleared up!!! I'll look at it right now!!!

Reply

B. W.
20:21 Mar 02, 2021

Thanks ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Laiba! Wow,I'm impressed by the effort u have put into this:D Loved how u gave a inner feeling that corresponds to everyone. The details were incredible. and the names off the top! Also the title really suits! and the explanation gave me something to think about! GREAT WORK!

Reply

Laiba M
04:17 Feb 26, 2021

Hi, Varsha~! Thank you so, so much!! You're so nice :) I really appreciate it!!!!

Reply

Hey! Aww, of course! Truly a beautiful written story! Keep it up! And ty! ur super nice too!

Reply

Laiba M
17:22 Feb 26, 2021

We should exchange random questions if you want to get to know each other better!~

Reply

SURE! We can do it via email too:D

Reply

Laiba M
17:50 Feb 26, 2021

I'd love to!! I'm really cautious online though, and everyone can see it if I share it here T-T is it okay if we continue doing it on here?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
03:48 Feb 24, 2021

What's Yellow and can't swim?

Reply

Laiba M
03:54 Feb 24, 2021

A banana? A raincoat? Buttercups? Daffodils? A rubber duck? I have no idea, as it could be any yellow inanimate object T-T

Reply

B. W.
03:57 Feb 24, 2021

A bus full of children. As you can tell, this is kind of a dark one-

Reply

Laiba M
11:46 Feb 24, 2021

Whoaaaa, haha! I thought it'd be a rubber duck because real ducks can swim, but rubber just floats T-T That's definitely dark!!

Reply

B. W.
16:55 Feb 24, 2021

Do you wanna hear another one?

Reply

Laiba M
17:50 Feb 24, 2021

Sure!! That was a surprising one, btw~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:44 Feb 18, 2021

New Thread?

Reply

Laiba M
02:41 Feb 18, 2021

Yeah :) Do you plan on posting anytime soon? You do post really often, just curious~

Reply

B. W.
03:01 Feb 18, 2021

Posting a new story? I really want to do it, but I still have writers block at the moment.

Reply

Laiba M
14:00 Feb 18, 2021

I meant if your schedule is too busy for you to do so, haha~ Or maybe you could try something for the Reedsy friends! If you want. I feel like that'd be easier since you don't have to make up personalities for the characters :)

Reply

B. W.
17:07 Feb 18, 2021

The what? are you talking about that one thing that i started a long time ago with everyone going into something and meeting their characters?

Reply

Laiba M
17:54 Feb 18, 2021

Yeah, the Reedsy friends story in which you included a lot of people on here, and they got transported to a fantasy land!~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
04:20 Feb 12, 2021

Hey how are you doing?

Reply

Laiba M
15:41 Feb 12, 2021

Hi! I'm doing good :) Did you notice the new comment format? :D

Reply

B. W.
18:17 Feb 12, 2021

Yeah I just now noticed it, what do ya think about it? and have ya seen the new prompts yet?

Reply

Laiba M
22:19 Feb 12, 2021

If I'm not mistaken, I think it's the original comment format we used to have (it's been so long I can't even remember T-T)! I like it, but I also liked the previous one because then no matter how long the comment chains were, the text didn't get any more smushed.

Reply

B. W.
01:40 Feb 13, 2021

I don't think it is, I think it's something completely different again. Though I might be wrong :/ also, could you maybe help me with something?

Reply

Laiba M
02:20 Feb 13, 2021

About the new prompts, I saw them and have an idea :) Sure, what is it?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:21 Feb 06, 2021

new thread?

Reply

Laiba M
21:05 Feb 06, 2021

Sure! So what was your joke?

Reply

B. W.
01:03 Feb 07, 2021

I kind of forgot, though do you maybe know any that you could tell me this time?

Reply

Laiba M
03:14 Feb 07, 2021

Kind of random, but when I was younger, I had this really strange and unfunny joke :) It went, "A rabbit was making tea for himself and accidentally dropped a piece of chocolate in it. When taking a sip of his tea, what word did he use to describe it?" "He said, 'Oh, how chocola-tea'." (As in "Oh, how chocolaty") T-T it's not funny at all, but elementary me and my elementary friends thought it was hilarious, lol. Hmm, what did a pencil say to the other pencil?

Reply

B. W.
07:59 Feb 07, 2021

Hm I don't know, what?

Reply

Laiba M
00:19 Feb 08, 2021

You look sharp/Talking to you is always pointless :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:17 Jan 29, 2021

heyyy

Reply

Laiba M
19:07 Jan 29, 2021

Hiiiii

Reply

B. W.
19:57 Jan 29, 2021

How are ya today?

Reply

Laiba M
21:32 Jan 29, 2021

Good, wish it was better, happy, busy, stressed :D What about you?

Reply

B. W.
22:30 Jan 29, 2021

I still just really wanna relax, any ideas on what I could do? I still haven't really had that much time to do it :/

Reply

Laiba M
23:58 Jan 31, 2021

Sorry for responding so late! Hmm, go out in the snow (in your backyard or neighborhood of course) if there is any, spend time with your siblings, parents, dog, or all of your family, learn something new (whether it's a few words in Spanish since I know you're interested in that or a new trick for your dog), or dress up with clothes in your closet you haven't gotten to wear in quarantine.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
03:10 Jan 24, 2021

Hey, new thread?

Reply

Laiba M
15:21 Jan 24, 2021

Sure :D What do you think about the new prompts for this week?~

Reply

B. W.
18:30 Jan 24, 2021

I'm not sure, though i will make a new story with one of them. What do you think of them?

Reply

Laiba M
19:42 Jan 24, 2021

Ah, okay~~ I think they're fine, and I have the perfect idea for one of them :)

Reply

B. W.
23:04 Jan 24, 2021

Your gonna do a new story? It'll be great ^^

Reply

Laiba M
14:03 Jan 25, 2021

Aww~!~ You're too sweet, haha :D I'm not sure about that, though.. How are you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:54 Jan 22, 2021

new thread?

Reply

Laiba M
23:49 Jan 22, 2021

Okay! Hmm, is there a specific career path you've decided on for your future?

Reply

B. W.
02:14 Jan 23, 2021

Well, I really do want to become a voice actor. I've actually emailed someone a little while ago and I'll go to a meeting at some point to talk to someone, so i honestly might become one soon.

Reply

Laiba M
14:11 Jan 23, 2021

Oh, wow, that's so cool!~ That sounds really fun :) I hope you become one as soon as possible and that you can fulfill your dreams, haha :D

Reply

B. W.
18:06 Jan 23, 2021

What do you wanna do? And thanks ^^ I've just kind of been waiting for a little while for them to email me back.

Reply

Laiba M
20:27 Jan 23, 2021

Ah, okay!! Hmm, probably something in the health field :) Already in school for it, so might as well continue, lol~~ How are you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:20 Jan 16, 2021

I got a new story out ^^

Reply

Laiba M
00:03 Jan 17, 2021

Thanks for telling me!!

Reply

B. W.
02:42 Jan 17, 2021

No prob ^^ how are you doing today?

Reply

Laiba M
19:10 Jan 17, 2021

I'm doing fine. Sadly, my schedule has been filled to the point that I'm not free for even a minute until 9 p.m. on all days except for Thursdays, on which I'm not free until 10 p.m.

Reply

B. W.
21:14 Jan 17, 2021

What's got ya so busy?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:11 Jan 15, 2021

How are you doing?

Reply

Laiba M
18:43 Jan 15, 2021

I'm doing well, thanks for asking, haha~~ What about you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:05 Jan 10, 2021

Hola amiga

Reply

Laiba M
02:26 Jan 10, 2021

Hola! How are you?

Reply

B. W.
03:46 Jan 10, 2021

Eh, I'm still just really bored :/

Reply

Laiba M
22:44 Jan 10, 2021

Ah, okay. Hopefully, our random questions can cheer you up!

Reply

B. W.
00:17 Jan 11, 2021

I'm trying to work on the second book

Reply

Laiba M
01:37 Jan 11, 2021

Nice! How's it going?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:29 Jan 09, 2021

Can ya check out "An Overdue Reunion" and leave feedback?

Reply

Laiba M
16:22 Jan 09, 2021

Sure~

Reply

B. W.
18:32 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:27 Jan 06, 2021

Heyyy

Reply

Laiba M
16:55 Jan 07, 2021

Hiiii, how are you?

Reply

B. W.
17:52 Jan 07, 2021

Eh I guess fine

Reply

Laiba M
19:15 Jan 07, 2021

Glad to hear that :) Are you just bored, or is it something else?

Reply

B. W.
21:08 Jan 07, 2021

Really bored if im being honest :/

Reply

Laiba M
03:47 Jan 08, 2021

Aww :( We can talk so you feel happier!~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:12 Jan 06, 2021

New thread?

Reply

Laiba M
02:33 Jan 06, 2021

Sure~ :)

Reply

B. W.
03:10 Jan 06, 2021

So, i just kinda got another story out ^^

Reply

Laiba M
16:53 Jan 07, 2021

Yayy! I can't wait. Sorry for not responding for a whole day, btw T-T I've gotten so, so lazy with checking Reedsy.

Reply

B. W.
17:50 Jan 07, 2021

Eh its alright. I also just started the first chapter to the second book ^^

Reply

Laiba M
18:29 Jan 07, 2021

Congratulations!~ I know it'll be a masterpiece, haha.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:35 Jan 03, 2021

Heyyyy

Reply

Laiba M
23:57 Jan 03, 2021

Hiii~

Reply

B. W.
00:11 Jan 04, 2021

How are ya?

Reply

Laiba M
16:31 Jan 04, 2021

I'm good!!~ Stressed though. I have tons of huge events coming up, none of which I expected. Sadly, I don't think I'll be writing until late February. I've got programs, tournaments, meetings, and exams T-T What about you?

Reply

B. W.
16:42 Jan 04, 2021

I think school just started back up for me for the second semester or something, but ill still be on here quite a lot since its online school.

Reply

Laiba M
17:06 Jan 04, 2021

Ahh, okay~~ That's good! I don't think we'll be going back this year, as vaccine distributions for top priorities are expected to extend through March... but I'm glad we're still staying safe~!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.