1289 comments

Sad Speculative

Warning: This story includes content on OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and self-deprecating thoughts that may trigger some readers. Please avoid reading this story if you have experienced any or both of the above.

Achebe.

Your face crinkles, like the paper balls you would throw at her behind Rox's back. Your tears attempt to cling to your eyelashes but fail and slide off, falling onto the hair you haven't washed in days.

With trembling eyes, you look up, around the dusty room, where ripped pages and empty snack wrappers flutter around like butterflies. Where dust motes glint in the afternoon light peeking through your window, where teary tissues rest, crumpled, tossed around, where day-old food sits at the bottom of your door, slid under by your worrying parents.

I killed her yesterday.

Yes, you did. You've known that for a while.

How?

You pushed her off a cliff. You know these things.

Why?

You were angry. Capricious. Hateful. Envious. Bitter. You were embarrassed. 

Wasn't it angering when Rox decided to spend time with her instead of you?

Wasn't it embarrassing when Achebe was Rox's partner in school projects, and you weren't?

Yes. It was disgusting, strange, appalling. How could that girl take up my friend's attention? 

Haven't you ever thought that it could be Rox's fault?

How?

She made a different friend. She spent time with her without you. She dared to leave you out.

How could they imagine doing such things to me?

The human mind is a fragile, dangerous thing. Tread too heavily, and it turns against you. It's a vulnerable bird; treat it gently, and it trusts you, or rush it, and it pecks and flees.

You were possessive, jealous, and clumsy with your words, letting them slip out of your reach and shatter on the ground. You have always been the evil person in this situation. You deserve to go to jail. You don't deserve to have your family, to be living in this house, to get anything. 

I know. I don't deserve any of it. I don't deserve anything, because it's all my fault.

Good to know that you're understanding. Don't talk to anyone anymore. You're evil. Do you want to hurt those people as well?

No.

Do you want to annoy them with your presence, your thoughts, your issues?

No. I don't want to annoy my family. I don't want to hurt my friends.

Good. Keep it that way. Stay in this room and this room only so that you don't hurt or annoy anyone. 

The only person you should talk to is Roxanne. Beg her for forgiveness, or else she won't want to be your friend anymore. Or else she'll tell your family, and they won't want to be related to you anymore.

Okay. 

Don't stop texting her and apologizing until she says she forgives you.

Okay.

Do you want that no one will love you anymore?

No.

Are you sure?

Yes.

Then be perfect.

Bury this in the past and plant flowers on its grave; grow, become beautiful, inside and out. Become a child your parents will be proud of, become a friend Roxanne will care about, become a student your teachers admire, become a person that everyone likes. 

How?

Don't cry. Don't show any negative emotions. Only show smiles, gentle words, elegant gestures, like a doll. 

Become a doll. Perfect, smiling, beautiful, flawless. No one cares if you're hollow on the inside, as long as you have everything on the outside.

Okay. A doll. I will become a doll. I will neither show my emotions nor my flaws and imperfections.

Good. Start by cleaning your room. No one likes messy people. Don't allow even a speck of dust to intrude upon the floors. If you do, no one will love you. No one will care about you anymore. 

You're not clean enough. Go shower again. What if everyone thinks you're dirty? What if you go back to your dirty old ways and become evil and hurt-or kill-someone all over again?

Pick a white dress. Bright colors are not appropriate for you. They make you seem like you're an attention-seeker. That was the reason why Achebe died, because you wanted all of Rox's attention. If you don't wear white, your brother dies.

Put the dress on again. Do you want to look messy?

Again. You look like a witch.

Again. You look like you just ran ten miles.

Are your arms sore from putting on a dress three times? You're lazy, then. No one likes lazy people, tired people, aching people. As practice, put on the dress and take it off again and again until you reach fifty times. It has to be fifty. 

Smile. Why are you frowning? Are you going to kill someone again?

Why can't you? You're a doll. Remember that. Smile no matter what. You don't have a choice. No smile means you're evil. Do you want to hurt Roxanne?

You're listening now. You listen to everything that the voice says because you don't want to become evil. 

You sit at your computer, a smile so wide and fake it's plastic, as perfectionism falls into your arms, leads you to the dance floor, moves with your every step. 

Irony steals you from your dance partner, taking you by the hand, twirling you round and round, as you remember Achebe. Achebe, the African beauty. Achebe, African for protected by the Goddess.

It seems her protection just wasn't strong enough.

Roxanne hasn't texted you back, and Achebe won't return to life, but if you're perfect, if you're a doll, maybe it'll happen. After all, dolls bring magic to the lives of children, and you might have magic as well if you're good enough.

Jealousy is a one-way road; many will enter, but no one will leave.

Possessiveness is a trap; spikes of steel trapping your ankle, hindering your motions, hindering your common sense, hindering your empathy, your realism.

Anger is a glass of water; too many drops, and it will overflow.

Insanity is a casket; only those who are dead will enter and stay.

December 04, 2020 23:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1289 comments

Amaya .
19:56 Dec 30, 2020

read my bio?

Reply

Laiba M
00:11 Dec 31, 2020

I read it, and I completely agree. Just yesterday, I saw a few videos of polar bears who were skin and bones. I also saw one who was attempting to walk on the ice but couldn't. It was too thin and melted, and the bear's leg got stuck in a hole in the ice, and I cried... a lot. I'm going to check out the website immediately!~ Thanks for letting me know about it, you're so sweet :)

Reply

Amaya .
00:15 Dec 31, 2020

THAT IS SO SAD 🥺 duh!!! i used every (small) platform and way to communicate I had (hey it's something right) and i got a lot of people to sign! yayyy

Reply

Laiba M
00:16 Dec 31, 2020

Yeah... :( I'm so glad! I put it in my bio and will spread it too~~ So how are you?

Reply

Amaya .
00:20 Dec 31, 2020

yay!! Aerin also put it in!! i'm good how are you? how were the holidays?

Reply

Laiba M
00:36 Dec 31, 2020

Happy to hear that :) I'm good! They were fun~ I didn't do much though, as I don't celebrate the holidays. Are you doing anything for New Years?

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:01 Dec 30, 2020

How are ya today?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
23:06 Dec 21, 2020

Do ya maybe wanna be added somewhere in the novel or the second one, or no?

Reply

Laiba M
23:16 Dec 21, 2020

Hmm, no, I don't think so :)

Reply

B. W.
23:25 Dec 21, 2020

That's fine ^^ I'm working on chapter 12 of it now though, guess who finally arrived

Reply

Laiba M
00:12 Dec 22, 2020

Springtrap~

Reply

B. W.
00:44 Dec 22, 2020

what do you think he'd be doing when he first arrives in the chapter and stuff?

Reply

Laiba M
01:36 Dec 22, 2020

Hmm, he'd probably look around the town/city/neighborhood to find Evelyn and the other animatronics and then find them :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
08:57 Dec 19, 2020

I'm really sorry.

Reply

Laiba M
14:12 Dec 19, 2020

Hmm? Why are you apologizing? There's nothing for you to apologize for~

Reply

B. W.
16:28 Dec 19, 2020

I suck at explaining, though read my Bio and then come back.

Reply

Laiba M
17:14 Dec 19, 2020

Aww, Ri, don't think that~ I've been talking to you for months, and never once did I think your words were rude. Additionally, all of your comments that I see on your stories and others' are super sweet, as you usually give a 10 out of 10 and give feedback if necessary. I've never thought of you as disrespectful or annoying, and I don't think you should think of yourself like that either. You are so sweet and funny, and I love hearing your jokes and comments. I enjoy helping you with your writing and feelings and wouldn't trade that for anyt...

Reply

B. W.
18:06 Dec 19, 2020

You really think all that? I've always kind of felt like this, not just on here though, basically in general as well with other people and IRL friends besides friends on here, probably for about a few years.

Reply

Laiba M
23:53 Dec 19, 2020

You should never feel like you're a burden or an annoyance because you're not. No one should have to feel like that, especially not someone so perfect a friend as you :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:22 Dec 15, 2020

Hey Laiba! As promised I have upvoted you. All the way to 4000!! I am proud of myself for actually patiently doing this, and I am proud of you cause I know you deserve it!

Reply

Laiba M
21:45 Dec 15, 2020

Really??? Thank you SO much, Ugochi!! I appreciate it so much, I'll go and upvote you a lot more!~

Reply

21:57 Dec 15, 2020

Of course! Oh you upvoted me? sorry I couldn't tell I have been upvoted-downvoted-upvoted again for like 2 weeks now😅. But thank you for taking your time doing that!!

Reply

Laiba M
21:59 Dec 15, 2020

Yeah, I upvoted every single one of your comments on all your stories and the ones that I could find on others' stories... I'm really sorry it didn't make much of a difference! I'll go and see if there's a comment of yours I haven't upvoted, and I'll go and upvote those!

Reply

01:49 Dec 16, 2020

Thank you Laiba!! Its okay, I am grateful either way! Thank youuuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
03:49 Dec 13, 2020

how much people have done the private messaging thing now?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
21:26 Dec 12, 2020

this could be the new thread, could I tell you now?

Reply

Laiba M
21:27 Dec 12, 2020

Yeah~

Reply

B. W.
21:29 Dec 12, 2020

its kind of with my characters, i was kind of wanting you to do a little scene of something and then you put it on this thread for me to see. I think you did it a little while ago but I ain't sure. Though for example, if I wanted you to do something with Mika and Harmony maybe telling each other that they have a crush on each other, it would be like this in Mika's POV or something: "I made sure the boys weren't following either of us, I didn't want them to ruin anything or just awkwardly be there. I had to tell her." and some other stuff, th...

Reply

Laiba M
23:52 Dec 12, 2020

I already did that for you :)

Reply

B. W.
00:13 Dec 13, 2020

I was hoping you could do it again though, not romance though because I know you arent good with it

Reply

Laiba M
00:15 Dec 13, 2020

Yeah, but I did the romance part for you.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
03:30 Dec 12, 2020

hey

Reply

Laiba M
13:10 Dec 12, 2020

Hi! :)~

Reply

B. W.
18:00 Dec 12, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

Laiba M
19:56 Dec 12, 2020

Good~ You?

Reply

B. W.
20:46 Dec 12, 2020

As usual, im tired and bored :/

Reply

Laiba M
21:07 Dec 12, 2020

Ah, okay :) Did you do anything fun today?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:42 Dec 08, 2020

I know i probably don't have to say this anymore, but I still just feel like I should and I'm sorry

Reply

Laiba M
21:52 Dec 08, 2020

For what??

Reply

B. W.
22:17 Dec 08, 2020

I still just feel like ive been annoying you a lot, probably mostly about the story I've been wanting. I just feel bad about always bothering you about it, the original one was fine but I couldn't keep my stupid mouth shut about it just involving someone else and I made you delete it. I don't think you ever need to actually make me a story anymore, I shouldn't really get one and by now you might have forgotten and you can do some other people.

Reply

Laiba M
00:10 Dec 09, 2020

Hope, you haven't. And when I say this, I'm not saying it because you're my friend. I mean it. You weren't bothering me whatsoever and I completely understood!! Don't worry about it anymore, I'm not and was never mad or annoyed :)

Reply

B. W.
01:35 Dec 09, 2020

I've kind of been thinking if i should ask you again to make me a story with the plot and all that, but I've kind of been holding off since you probably wouldn't want to even do it anymore or you'd probably be busy doing other stuff.

Reply

Laiba M
01:38 Dec 09, 2020

December is a super busy month for me, but I can try in January... sorry. Writing The Dollmaker was already way too much for me and I'm really making up for that this week.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:04 Dec 07, 2020

Could ya check out "To catch a killer" and leave some feedback?

Reply

Laiba M
20:07 Dec 07, 2020

Sure!

Reply

B. W.
20:08 Dec 07, 2020

thanks ^^ im a bit excited to see what ya think

Reply

Laiba M
20:09 Dec 07, 2020

I liked it and commented! :)

Reply

B. W.
20:39 Dec 07, 2020

thank you ^^ so how are you today?

Reply

Laiba M
22:23 Dec 07, 2020

Good! How are you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:29 Dec 05, 2020

This is AMAZING ^^ I like what you did for it instead of it just being the part I did of the story but its just the POV of Alexis, I think that this is the better way and way better than my part and most of my stories. I think that this was worth the wait, I also still like how its in second person. I don't know what else to say except this gets a 10/10 :)

Reply

Laiba M
00:49 Dec 05, 2020

Aww :) Oh my gosh, you're so sweet, Ri! Thank you! I still think yours was better :)

Reply

B. W.
00:55 Dec 05, 2020

Aw, ya think im sweet?

Reply

Laiba M
00:16 Dec 06, 2020

Of course! Did you actually like the story, though? :)

Reply

B. W.
01:05 Dec 06, 2020

Eh? Of course i liked it ^^

Reply

Laiba M
01:13 Dec 06, 2020

Ohh, okay~ Thanks!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:37 Jan 01, 2021

New story is out ^^

Reply

Laiba M
02:16 Jan 02, 2021

I can't wait to read it!~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
17:44 Jan 01, 2021

New thread, im actually working on the first part of the spin off right now.

Reply

Laiba M
17:47 Jan 01, 2021

I'm glad to hear~ How's it going?

Reply

B. W.
18:06 Jan 01, 2021

I'm at like 200 words or 300 words

Reply

Laiba M
18:30 Jan 01, 2021

Nice! Are you thinking of posting it on Reedsy?

Reply

B. W.
18:32 Jan 01, 2021

Yeah, itll probably be out soon or something.

Reply

Laiba M
02:15 Jan 02, 2021

Glad to hear that~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
11:36 Jan 01, 2021

heyyyy

Reply

Laiba M
17:35 Jan 01, 2021

Hii, Happy New Year!~

Reply

B. W.
17:42 Jan 01, 2021

Happy new year ^^

Reply

Laiba M
17:47 Jan 01, 2021

I'm so glad I met you last year :) You've brought so many smiles and happy moments into my Reedsy life, and I couldn't be any luckier to have a friend like you~~ I'm looking forward to a year spent with one of my closest friends on here!

Reply

B. W.
18:05 Jan 01, 2021

awww :) I'm glad we met as well

Reply

Laiba M
18:29 Jan 01, 2021

Me too! I hope this is a good year for both of us with our writing and stories~~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:20 Dec 27, 2020

My bio's updated, could ya check it out? there's also something for ya in it :)

Reply

Laiba M
22:37 Dec 27, 2020

Aww :)

Reply

B. W.
22:38 Dec 27, 2020

I kinda wanted to do a little more for each person I put in the bio, along with you, but I couldn't think of what to do.

Reply

Laiba M
22:40 Dec 27, 2020

Hmm. Maybe you could say a little something about what type of person they are? For example, they're good at helping with story ideas, they're good with story feedback, they have really interesting conversations and topics, etc.

Reply

B. W.
23:11 Dec 27, 2020

Hm, I guess I could probably try to do that later, thanks ^^

Reply

Laiba M
16:24 Dec 28, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:15 Dec 21, 2020

Hola

Reply

Laiba M
13:26 Dec 21, 2020

Hi, how are you?~

Reply

B. W.
16:58 Dec 21, 2020

I'm good, how are ya today?

Reply

Laiba M
17:08 Dec 21, 2020

Good! I can't wait for the holidays... Do you celebrate Christmas?

Reply

B. W.
19:15 Dec 21, 2020

Yep, i do ^^ you dont, right?

Reply

Laiba M
22:56 Dec 21, 2020

Yeah~ I don't, but I still give and get gifts, as most of my friends celebrate it :) Are you excited?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:28 Dec 19, 2020

I'm on chapter 10 of the novel :D

Reply

Laiba M
23:53 Dec 19, 2020

Nice!! How's it coming along?

Reply

B. W.
23:55 Dec 19, 2020

These aren't much of major spoilers and stuff, though lets say something happened with one of the characters, and someone else is going to arrive soon :)

Reply

Laiba M
01:22 Dec 20, 2020

Ah, okay :) Who, Springtrap?

Reply

B. W.
02:02 Dec 20, 2020

Yep, your right about that ^^ You can also guess if ya want what happened to the character and which character it happened to, I wanna see your guesses ^^

Reply

Laiba M
02:22 Dec 20, 2020

Haha :D Hmm, Bonnie/Chica (I don't remember which one made her food) got burnt while making pizza for Evelyn? Or maybe Foxy got hurt?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:18 Dec 13, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Laiba M
23:17 Dec 13, 2020

Hiiii

Reply

B. W.
00:54 Dec 14, 2020

I got an idea for a new novel, could you maybe help me?

Reply

Laiba M
15:45 Dec 14, 2020

Sure!

Reply

B. W.
18:26 Dec 14, 2020

well a friend said its sort of like jumanji, have you ever watched that?

Reply

Laiba M
22:31 Dec 14, 2020

Yeah.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:39 Dec 10, 2020

Do ya remember the "Adventure with friends" thing I had been doing for a while? Whenever the new prompts come out on Friday or something, I think I'm gonna try and do a part 3 for it finally.

Reply

Laiba M
02:39 Dec 10, 2020

Yayy! I can't wait to see the fantasyland, the romance, the Greek mythological characters, and Aerin's rainbows!~~

Reply

B. W.
04:17 Dec 10, 2020

What's something you want to happen with your character or something?

Reply

Laiba M
14:11 Dec 10, 2020

Just the things that I told you before :)

Reply

B. W.
18:50 Dec 10, 2020

I don't remember though :/

Reply

Laiba M
19:02 Dec 10, 2020

Do you remember when we were planning it all together?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:15 Dec 05, 2020

I did a new bio, could you check it out? there's something in it for you :)

Reply

Laiba M
00:23 Dec 06, 2020

I love it!! Thanks :)~

Reply

B. W.
01:07 Dec 06, 2020

No problem ^^ Ya like how i described ya in it? I'm not that good at doing that sorta stuff :/

Reply

Laiba M
01:14 Dec 06, 2020

Yes! Thank you!!

Reply

B. W.
01:46 Dec 06, 2020

How many people have done the quiz thing for the private messaging?

Reply

Laiba M
02:59 Dec 06, 2020

217, but 208 said yes, and 9 said no~

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.