47 comments

Romance

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were seemed to be on fire that day…my first day of high school.

“Cathy Jane??” said Ms. Vero that early cold morning. The first day of Fall had begun.

“You can call me C.J.” I replied abruptly like I always do when someone calls me by my full name.

“Okay, C.J.” Ms. Vero said then moving on to the next person on the list.

Class seemed to go by in a flash, that day. The hallways filled with kids with sweatshirts and huge sweaters. Fall has begun. Students have already found their group of friends, many extroverts all around. But I? No. I was an introvert who enjoyed my time reading books.

Second block is almost here, my mind raced as my feet picked up. I found the class, safely. As I walked in, I noticed students were talking but one caught my attention. He was tall, had long brown hair, with blue eyes behind his glasses. My heart stopped for a second. Only a second.

I sat down in my seat… oh gosh. Went my heart.

Days had passed and I needed an opening, some way to talk to him but he was always surrounded by his friends. And I was too shy to go talk to him. Oh what do I do? I groaned.

One day, he needed help and he asked me…it was a good thing I actually knew the work. That would have been embarrassing. I was nervous the whole time but I did it! And I guess I became the pretty girl who helped him with his homework. I mean, it was a pretty low status but at least I could be with him.

After that, we hung out and became good friends, it was really cool. But my feelings? What do I do with those?

“C.J wanna get on the game later??” he asked me that day, a very cold day. I smiled back at his smile, his nose slightly red from the cold air

“Why? I’m just gonna drag you again.” I replied.

“In your dreams” he said touching my head.

“Yeah yeah…then I guess all those times where you screamed about losing were just a dream too huh?” I said.

“Yup” he replied. I laughed, and muttered an ‘okay’. He walked with me for a couple more steps then his friends called him over… I noticed a girl with them this time.

“Yeah, coming!” he yelled back. He then turned around and started walking backwards facing me as we walked.

“Don’t forget, kay?” he said.

“I won’t.” I said rolling my eyes. He then hugged me…and I couldn’t feel the cold at all. He felt like a blanket protecting me from the cold. Me being a smaller framed person, I felt like a kid in his arms. My head barely touched his chin…I felt really happy in that moment. It felt like forever till he let go.

“See ya” he said waving, he ran over to his friends, his brown hair that was below his shoulders bouncing slightly.

I stood there feeling all sorts of things, all sorts of feelings. I felt too happy, for a hug? Yup. The week after I was still so happy. And the week after, I hate to admit it but I was waiting for another one. August passed, and September came. And that’s when I found out you were dating her.

I felt my heart shatter just a little… but what could I do. I was the girl who helped with your homework…the hug meant nothing to you. It was simply gratitude, but I felt over the moon.

I still remember the day you told me you were dating her…and I felt really sick. But I said “Congratulations”

“I just came to tell you that, and I probably won’t hang out as much either cause you know–” he said.

I interrupted him I didn’t want him to say it again. “Yes yes I know I get it.” I said heartbroken but trying to act happy for you. The last thing I wanted was to get between them so I kept my distance. I can’t deny it, but it was also for me too.

“Game later?” you asked me everyday, I guess it was your way of keeping in contact with me.

“Sure” I replied, some days I said no. For my own sake.

I hate to say it but seeing you with her became natural at some point… And I had started dating other people, but of course they didn’t exactly last long. They were cool and everything but I wasn’t exactly happy with them…and they both ended.

One day you asked to hang out and I said yes. I missed hanging out you. I missed you in general.

“It feels like its been awhile huh?” you asked me on another cold day.

“It has been awhile.” I said back stuffing my hands in my pockets.

“Woah you sound mad? Miss me?” he asked me.

“No not really” I replied in a lie.

“Oh wooow” he replied in surprise.

“I’m joking.” I said with a smile. “I missed you.”

“Same” he said back with that smile. I was silent…my mind trying to process the information.

“So? What’s up?” I asked him.

“Well…” he says with a shrug. “We broke up.”

“Oh.” I say looking up at the sky, trying to stop the stupid smile from forming on my lips. “Are you okay?” I asked.

“Yeah I’m good. I guess… I just wasn’t happy, ya know?” he said…

“Yeah I get that” I responded looking up at the blue sky, there are no clouds. So pretty. Even though I like him…All I wish for him is happiness.

“You’ll find someone better.” I said patting his shoulder.

“Oh yeah?” he says with a light smile.

“Yup!” I said returning his smile. “You’ll find someone who gives you happiness just wait! They could even be right in front of you.”

“You might be right about that…” he said his cheeks slightly pink. The cold?

“That’s the spirit” I say with a smile. That cold day we went to many stores…played games, and did many new things.

The sky was now dark blue…tainting with stars. Christmas is near.

“Same with you, C.J.” he said that day as the sky.

“Hm?” I asked in question.

“You’ll find someone who gives you happiness too, one day” he says.

“Oh!” I said in surprise. “But I am already happy…just being here…with you…”

On that cold night…I hoped my feelings reached you.

Few more weeks passed and Christmas was even more closer. The skies were filled with jolly music. The houses decorated with accessories. And shops singing “Jingle all the way.”

I swung on the swings…breathing out as my breath entered the air. I needed to be away from the house for awhile.

“Hey” a deep voice said. I recognized it. I looked up..to find you staring down at me.

“Hey, yourself” I responded back.

“I- I have something to say.” is what you started with.

In your arms is how the day ended.

On the 13th of December your feelings reached me.

Our love began.

~

~ To C.J Dunstall and Her Boyfriend. Happy 10 Months!!💖

October 14, 2020 04:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

04:41 Oct 14, 2020

Ummmmmmmmm yeah I got inspiration from..as you know C.J. I did not add anything personal about her! And her name is NOT CATHY JANE! I made that up🤭 ~ I just liked the way her love with her boyfriend was and using little information from what she told me I made it into a story about how I think it went...so this is just my imagination only little parts of it are true. ~ Yes! I am out of my sad bubble..sorry guys🥺I was in my feelings and I just based my feelings on that😂 ~ THIS WEEK IS ROMANCE ROMANCE ROMANCE!! So yes Amany~ Indescrib...

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:31 Oct 14, 2020

Wait can you link her prof? ~Yay! BEeee happpyyyyyy ~FKGJADFLKGJSDLFKGJ YAYYYYY This was an adorable story Snow! I loved it! BAIII

Reply

19:31 Oct 14, 2020

Yup! heres the link!! https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/c-j-dunstall/ I will! and Thankk youuu!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ALINA Manha
04:45 Oct 27, 2020

Awww this just soo cute. I loved it sooooo much. I give this a 10/10. Have a good day!. 🙃

Reply

05:07 Oct 27, 2020

Thank youuuu Alina!! You too!

Reply

ALINA Manha
05:34 Oct 27, 2020

My pleasure. 😁 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:48 Oct 22, 2020

A common high school romance. No depth. I couldn't agree more with one comment 'keep an eye on your English. FOR CRITIQUE CIRCLE

Reply

02:59 Oct 22, 2020

😂😂😂 Lol it may be common to you but its a real story, clearly you didn't read all the comments cause you woulda known. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH A COMMON HIGH SCHOOL ROMANCE???! I mean you did read Romance at the top right? Also everyone has their opinion, you clearly didn't like the story, and if you had read the comments you woulda seen where I explained I used the little background info that I had. If you had said this for any other story I woulda been at least a little bit cool with it.. Who keeps sending yall for a critique, th...

Reply

Sia S
03:41 Oct 22, 2020

Lol. But yeah Man, that was rude. She is AWESOME!! Okay? If you are for "critique" then actually GIVE SOME. Let her know where she went wrong. I really liked the story. But, you are you and I'm well, me.

Reply

03:44 Oct 22, 2020

Thank youuu so much cause once my stories got approved and we had a critique circle I got two comments like this like this is NOT critique! But thank you for saying this this made me feel better😊

Reply

Sia S
03:45 Oct 22, 2020

Aw welcome Ugochi! You deserve it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Patricia Green
22:07 Oct 21, 2020

Cute, but doesn't really relate to the prompt, except for a couple of lines. keep an eye on your English.

Reply

22:23 Oct 21, 2020

Thanks. And yes it does...the prompt was to use the line 'By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire' I simply crossed out 'were' and put seemed, but regardless it was still there. And if it didn't match up with the prompt I do think it would have not been approved cause thats the first story that has been approved in months. But uh...yeah thanks. And can you please tell me where my English went wrong, like an example cause that's a first.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
05:14 Oct 19, 2020

Wow, what a cute story! Providing snapshots of teenagers in high school and the whole dating life. I love how they didn't get together immediately, but they remained in contact through gaming. I can totally relate to the crush dating someone else situation, haha. But of course, they got together in the end, which is amazing! - however I also cannot relate. I loved their interactions, you captured all the awkwardness and sweetness and yeah, it was great story, Ugochi! Amazing work!

Reply

06:29 Nov 29, 2020

Omg I didn't even seeee thisss! Thank youuu! And yeah same, none of my crushes liked me back😥Haha~ Life goes onnn~ Yeah this was based off a true story I suppose, people get lucky🥺 thank you for reading Yolanda! Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier I didn't see it! I'm gonna go binge read your stuff!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
07:03 Nov 29, 2020

Haha, it's all good. I'm sure we'll get somewhere someday in the crush department, lol.

Reply

22:18 Nov 29, 2020

YOLANDA! What an amazinnnggg artist you aree!! Like omg- you really drew all of that?? Like thats crazy!!

Reply

Yolanda Wu
00:21 Nov 30, 2020

Heyy, um are you talking about the Instagram thing, 'cause that's my friend's, lol, there's no way I'm that talented at drawing, haha.

Reply

00:34 Nov 30, 2020

Oh😂see this is what happens when I don't read. I saw a link and just went straight for it my bad! Well your friend is an amazing artist!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tessa Takzikab
02:53 Oct 19, 2020

This story made me smile. I love how you wrote a story for your friend; I love when people use their gifts to make others happy. I do want to point out that you switch tense and person a few times. Sometimes you are talking to CJ's boyfriend, and sometimes you are talking about him. “See ya” he said waving, he ran over to his friends, his brown hair that was below his shoulders bouncing slightly. -You should start a new sentence after waving, and I'm pretty sure there should be a comma at the end of what's in the quotes. I loved t...

Reply

16:18 Oct 19, 2020

Thankkk youuu! I'm glad it made you smile. Yeahh people pointed that out in earlier comments..and eah I wanted to change it but I was super busy up till friday and I couldn't really read it over. Aw thank youuu Tessa!

Reply

Tessa Takzikab
16:59 Oct 19, 2020

Makes sense. It's still a good read, though. No problem!

Reply

17:02 Oct 19, 2020

😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anna Mosqueda
18:13 Oct 16, 2020

SOOO CUTE!! (hey I made it over to your page;)) I love the love that slowly developed between C.J and her boyfriend! The cold weather that you described made it even better, I could seriously picture the scene so clearly!! Word of advice though, kind of an opinion...You used the words him and you interchangeably, but I think using the word you, as a letter to the boy would make it even more personal and emotional. Overall, you did an amazing job!! KEEP WRITING:)

Reply

20:56 Oct 16, 2020

Thank youuu! Yeah this is actually the second time someone told me that, so thank you for that. And yeah I'll try to go back when IU have the time and correct them

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
02:21 Oct 16, 2020

Oh wow that’s so kind of you, dedicating a story to a couple 😙 This was so sweet, and I love how the seasons changing kinda symbolizes the characters changing. I did notice that the guy was referred to as “he” and “you” simultaneously. I think you should stick to one so that it doesn’t get confusing (I’d say “you” because it makes the guy a more personal element for the narrator 😉) Anyway. Good stuff as always! 😙

Reply

04:59 Oct 16, 2020

Thank you Rayhan!! Oh I didn't even notice that I'll try to go back and edit it! Thank youuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
05:16 Oct 14, 2020

Aww this is sooooooooooooooo cute!!! Good job Snow!

Reply

05:19 Oct 14, 2020

Thank youuu so much Sky!!

Reply

Sia S
05:26 Oct 14, 2020

You deserve it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hope Reynolds
22:40 Nov 25, 2020

Maybe her and I are a bit similar with how we act around guys sometimes - she just rolls her eyes and stuff lol. I can be a bit of an introvert myself. And at first, I could have thought she was being really clever and charming by saying she was sorry, but he would find someone soon -- maybe in front of you, but probably being happy or jolly about it. Sometimes I wish I could say clever things on the spot instead of thinking about clever things in my head at other times, lol.

Reply

01:21 Nov 26, 2020

Oh same! I gave her my personality for some weird reason😂😂. And I am half and half on the last part sometimes I will say something really clever but other times I think of it and never say it! But thank you for reading Hope!!! And can you like the story, if its not too much trouble!

Reply

Hope Reynolds
02:40 Nov 26, 2020

Cool!! Glad to read it. Yeah, that is relatable. Will do! Thanks for the follow, too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C.J Dunstall
22:31 Oct 14, 2020

OMG!!! Me and my bf just read this. Thank you so much. Words cannot express how I feel right now. Thank you thank you thank you.

Reply

00:56 Oct 15, 2020

Oh great!! I'm happy yall liked it!! And of course!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elaina Goodnough
17:12 Dec 07, 2020

This was so cute and sweet, a refreshing romance. I know you can't edit it, but for future reference: You switched between 'him' and 'you' multiple different times, and although it mostly worked for this story, it doesn't always. Just a friendly author tip! Thanks for the wonderful story, KEEP WRITING! -Rose Edit: Just realized people have already given you tips about the "You" "Him" thing, so ignore it! Should have read the comments first! GREAT JOB!

Reply

19:11 Dec 07, 2020

Thank you so much Rose! Wow you've read so many of my stories in a day!! And yes, thank you! I don't mind hearing it twice or thirds, if it was pointed out many times it just shows that I really did need to do better so thank you for pointing that out@ Thank youuu! I'm gonna read some of your stories too soon!

Reply

Elaina Goodnough
19:36 Dec 07, 2020

Thank YOU for providing such amazing stories to read! Ok! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
18:18 Nov 11, 2020

This story is awesome! Great job!

Reply

23:17 Nov 11, 2020

Thank you sooo much Tobias!

Reply

Ari Berri
23:45 Nov 11, 2020

No problem, you're a good author!

Reply

03:09 Nov 12, 2020

Thank youu! I know you are too, hopefully whenever I get the time I'll come check out some of yours!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.