6 comments

Kids Funny Fantasy

The morning after yesterday was not just any morning as Lucy would soon discover. It was a morning when she would go off on a journey. The day would be a day of discovery. What would she find on her journey? Something to eat, someone to help. Would it bring a treasure? Danger? She hoped not danger. Time would tell. Bravely she set off, all the while trusting in the universe to keep her safe. She first went over a little bridge that covered a babbling brook, past the patch of lavender flowers - oh the smell (how wonderful), on the path that would lead to the place that would change her life for the better (although she didn’t know it at the time). The lavender flowers were almost enough to keep her in one place – almost. But Lucy was happy to be exploring, that was the key thing about that day – explore. She had complete faith that nothing would harm her. For a long time (an entire half an hour) she searched and wondered, searched, and wondered, rested a while, then searched and wondered some more. Then, she looked up and spotted it directly in front of her, nestled in the massive oak tree.

Wow, what a find! A magnificent dwelling currently unoccupied. I’m sure the owner won’t mind me looking around inside, thought Lucy. She wouldn’t disturb anything; she just wanted to get a feel for the place. One day she would have just such a place - she was determined. The treehouse was made of pine and cedar wood and had a nice sunny area to sit or snooze, a very spacious area to move around, a little table set with a tiny teapot and cups and little plates, a comforter and several pillows just right for a short nap, a couple of pictures on the wall, an excellent view of the whole forest - incredible. And, to top it off, absolutely no one in sight or so it seemed. Yes, she must have a look inside.

Lucy took a tentative step - yes, fortune had smiled on her that day. She was completely alone in that spacious treehouse. She eagerly soaked up the energy - luxury, spaciousness, happiness. She could get used to this. A little voice tried to nag at her 

“Leave or you will be discovered”

“Not yet” she replied. “The sun is still high in the sky. I have time.” The voice quietened down, for now.

Her eyelids became very heavy from the journey to find the treehouse, so she stretched out in the warmest, sunniest spot in the place and dreamed a happy dream. In the dream the house was hers - she invited all her friends over for a housewarming party and each brought a gift for her since she had been so kind to them at various times in their lives. One brought a fern, one brought a rug, one a jar of honey…everyone was so generous, she felt a little overwhelmed but incredibly grateful to them and to the universe that the house was hers. The table was spread with every imaginable treat - something for everyone - she had worked extremely hard arranging everything just so.

As each guest arrived, she handed them a small favor to take home with them after the party - each got an encouraging quote to help them through the day. She had her favorite that she looked at each morning - “expect a miracle” - she liked that a lot and thought it would be very nice for every guest to have their own cheerful quote to start each day with; it was good to start each day with a smile – at least it always worked for her.

After a successful housewarming party (each guest had a wonderful time and had lots to eat and drink) she was alone in the house and drank in all the happiness and positive feelings. Nice. She would share that same feeling with anyone she met on the next day’s journey. Not every day had a journey, but most did. A positive word or deed always came back to the sender doubled. Sometimes the comeback was instant, sometimes longer, but it was a worthwhile thing to do anyway - even if there was no “reward”. The reward for her was making others happy. It was something she’d always done and would continue to do every day of her life.

She woke from the dream and heard the little nagging voice again:

“Leave or you will be discovered.”

“Not yet” she replied. “The sun is still in the sky, although not as high. There is still time to stay here awhile.”

The voice was quietened, for now.

After a couple of hours of dreaming, exploring every inch of the house, thinking of how wonderful a place like this having would be, and drinking in the positive energy the nagging voice in her head said

“Leave now or you will be discovered.”

This time the voice was so loud that it jolted Lucy from her luxuriating thoughts and dreams and back to reality. She looked around. The voice was right – the owner was coming up to the front entrance. How could Lucy not have seen this? How could she get away from the person?

Quickly she eased herself onto the window ledge, spread her wings, and flew. Lucy the ladybug had not been seen and would be free to continue being a good luck charm to all she saw for another day.

Phew! That was close she thought. Thank you voice for alerting me – I might have been put in a jar by the little girl and prevented from helping anyone or protecting the garden from getting attacked by aphids. I’m sorry I did not pay attention to your earlier warnings. 

Aha! Lucy spotted some aphids, forgot her regrets, and hungrily dove down and had a feast. Close by she could see the wonderful little treehouse – it was a small world; everything she could possibly want was remarkably close by, how could she have not noticed it before? Her journey had taken her right back to where she started from. The treehouse was in her own back yard the entire time; how strange. A sleepy Lucy contentedly fell asleep on a soft leaf and dreamed a happy dream of finding a treehouse…

July 13, 2020 20:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Elle Clark
09:48 Jul 19, 2020

This was such a cute story! I love that she was a ladybug - this would be a great story to read to children on a sunny day.

Reply

Debbie Teague
21:33 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you very much Laura; that's a great idea.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mackenzie Meetz
23:29 Jul 15, 2020

How cute! I did not expect Lucy to be a ladybug, but it added to the overall whimsical feeling. Also great work on detail. It painted a beautiful picture in my head!

Reply

Debbie Teague
21:33 Jul 21, 2020

Thanks Mackenzie - I'm very glad it painted the picture for you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
17:36 Jul 15, 2020

Beautiful imagery. I really enjoyed the story. The last paragraph was amazing.

Reply

Debbie Teague
21:32 Jul 21, 2020

Thank you Roshna

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.