31 comments

Drama Sad

Trigger warning: pet death

 

“You ready, Benny? You ready for the best day? Huh, buddy?”

 

Benny’s tail wags so hard I worry he’ll break it again. I laugh and rub his head, smiling at the soft fur between my fingers. It’s hard to believe how coarse and matted it was when I found him huddling behind a dumpster seventeen years ago. 

 

No collar, no chip. No love. It took about five seconds for me to decide to take him home from the vet.

 

His golden fur’s faded a bit now and he walks slower than Hank, the neighbor’s pet turtle, but nothing could dampen that tail. It hits the car seat with a rhythmic THUMP.

 

I drive out of the neighborhood and roll down the windows. Benny sticks his head out and I laugh again as his tongue flaps in the wind.

 

“First stop: breakfast!” I say. He barks in return.

 

Sam grins when I walk into Lola’s Coffee Shop, Benny waddling beside me. “Is that Benny?” he croons. “Who’s a good boy? Who’s a good boy?” He hurries out from behind the barista counter to pat Benny’s head.

 

I met Sam five years ago when I made Lola’s my go-to for morning stops and self-care treats. He’s a lanky kid who’s put up with far too many of my divorce stories.

 

“Today’s the best day, isn’t it?” he asks, glancing at me as he scratches behind Benny’s ears.

 

I nod, my smile tightening, before Sam claps his hands together. “Then it’s time for the best treat!”

 

He runs back behind the counter and whips up the best pup drink in the area: a cup of peanut butter flavored whip cream, which Benny laps up in the blink of an eye.

 

Sam kneels and wraps his arms around Benny. “Have a great day, buddy,” he whispers. I give him a hug when he stands again before walking Benny back to the car.

 

“Next stop: quality time with the best friends.”

 

The dog park’s empty--it’s a Tuesday afternoon, after all--except for two dogs: a husky and a golden retriever. They bark when Benny enters and waddles over to them.

 

“Thanks for meeting us, guys,” I say to Christine and Jack, the two owners. We’ve visited the dog park every week together for the past couple years.

 

“Thank you,” says Christine, slinging her arm around my shoulders. “Bear couldn’t wait to see Benny.”

 

“Harley whined all morning until we left,” laughs Jack.

 

We watch the dogs sniff and run after each other for a while until Benny plops to the ground.

 

“He might be done,” I say, chuckling. I walk over to him and rub his belly. “You good, bud?”

 

He barks.

 

Both Christine and Jack hug Benny before embracing me. 

 

“Call me later, Luce,” Christine whispers in my ear. I nod and hurry back to my car before she can see the tears.

 

I take a deep breath as I buckle in and look over at Benny, who cocks his head back at me. “You know what’s next, huh, buddy?” THUMP THUMP THUMP. “A surprise! The best surprise.”

 

I drive back home, tapping my fingers on the steering wheel. For the first time I can remember, I’m driving far below the speed limit.

 

A car with a man leaning against it waits outside the house. I park, ignoring the sudden pounding in my chest, and look over at Benny. He leans over and nudges my elbow with his nose.

 

“You ready, bud?” I murmur.

 

He whines and I take a deep, shaky breath before pulling him out of the car and toward the man. 

 

“Charles?” I ask quietly. He’s wearing a light jacket and a blue backpack slung over his shoulder. He nods and gives me a smile--a genuine, understanding smile.

 

“That’s me,” he says. “And this must be Benny. Hey there, fella.” Charles bends down and rubs Benny between the ears. Benny’s tongue lolls out of his mouth and his eyes close in pure bliss.

 

That does it. When Charles stands up again, everything’s blurry.

 

“Sorry,” I mumble, wiping my eyes.

 

“Nothing to apologize for. It’s a hard day, Lucy.”

 

I nod. “Let’s--let’s get started.”

 

I guide both Charles and Benny to the back yard, littered in Benny’s toys--stuffed rabbits, thick ropes, squeaky balls. Charles busies himself with his bag and I sit cross-legged on the grass.

 

“Come here, Benny,” I say softly, patting the space in front of me.

 

Benny plops down facing me, setting his head on my legs. I bend so my forehead touches his.

 

“You had a good day, today, huh?” I ask. My voice catches and Benny whines. 

 

I sit up straight and press my hands to his furry cheeks, lifting his head so I can look into his eyes. “Well, what's coming next is going to make it the best day.” The tears start to fall. “Because there’s going to be no more pain, buddy. Do you hear that? No more pain.

 

His tails thumps against the soft ground.

 

Charles turns around and sits to the side so he’s next to Benny’s leg. He looks at me, syringe in hand. “You ready, Lucy?”

 

“Just--just wait,” I say. He prepared that syringe so fast--too fast. “I-I don’t think I can do this. I can’t do this to him.” The tears fall thick and fast now. My throat thickens.

 

Benny looks at me with those big brown eyes, warm as chocolate, and wags his tail harder than he has all day. 

 

“Lucy,” says Charles in a kind voice. “You’re right. You can’t do this. So I’m going to, and you’re going to hold him the entire time, so he knows he’s surrounded by love.”

 

“But h-he doesn’t u-understand,” I blubber. “He’ll h-hate me.”

 

Charles gives me a sad smile. “He won’t hate you. Take a moment.” He clasps his hands in front of his lap patiently.

 

A couple minutes pass before I find my voice again. “Ok,” I whisper.

 

The tears blind me. I can’t wipe them away fast enough.

 

“Let’s make this the very best day for him, Lucy.” Charles reaches over and squeezes my hand.

 

I take a deep, shaky breath and wrap my arms around Benny, twisting my fingers in his fur. He leans his head into my shoulder. 

 

“The best day.” I tilt my head and nod at Charles, who gently sticks the syringe in Benny’s leg.

 

It doesn’t take long. I can feel it--the body stilling, slowing. I lean back and stare into Benny’s eyes; his eyelids droop and his tail follows suit, drifting to the grass. He lowers his head into my lap as he takes his last breath.

 

He looks so different from that tiny thing I found behind the dumpster seventeen years ago. His fur’s grayed, but it’s smooth and soft.

 

And he doesn’t look scared--he looks strong. Peaceful.

 

Loved.

November 12, 2020 01:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Lina Oz
04:43 Nov 12, 2020

NOOOO I KNEW THIS WAS COMING. I KNEW IT. And yet it still made me so unbelievably emotional all the same. This was a fantastic story regarding the prompt and communicates a brutal challenge many of us go through––that decision is just heartbreaking but necessary. Ugh. I cry. Tiny edit: His tails THUMP against the soft ground. --Should be: His tail thumps against the soft ground. Also, I found this exchange just a little out of place: Charles gives me a sad smile. “Dogs are incapable of hating their owners, Lucy. And Benny here...

Reply

Lani Lane
04:41 Nov 14, 2020

Thank you Lina!!! Do you think changing that line of dialogue still works with the prompt?? That was the main reason I wanted someone else to convince her! I also am ok if this doesn't follow proper vet protocols hahaha!!

Reply

Lina Oz
05:15 Nov 14, 2020

I actually think changing that wording would fit the prompt even better; it seemed like the vet told her what to do, rather than the owner coming to terms with the potential "betrayal" and realizing it was not a betrayal after all (and thereby overcoming the challenge). I also thought the "raising his eyebrow" just seemed a little bit of a "judgemental" movement I suppose for the sadness of the situation. Just my thoughts, anyways!! Totally up to your own interpretation of the prompt! :)

Reply

Lani Lane
05:31 Nov 14, 2020

Ok awesome!! That makes a lot of sense. I changed it, thank you so much!!

Reply

Lina Oz
05:46 Nov 14, 2020

Awesome, it's so good!! A winning piece in my opinion :D

Reply

Lani Lane
05:47 Nov 14, 2020

Aw thank you!! I so appreciate you saying that! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Meera Lakshmi
17:00 Dec 03, 2020

I loved this! I got so emotional at the end! The way you wrote this made me feel like I could actually feel what Lucy was feeling. That was so great! AMAZING!!!!

Reply

Lani Lane
16:57 Mar 12, 2021

Thank you so much for reading and for your comment, Meera!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lani Lane
16:57 Mar 12, 2021

Thank you so much for reading and for your comment, Meera!! :)

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
17:06 Mar 12, 2021

Of course! would you mind reading some of my submissions?

Reply

Lani Lane
19:20 Mar 14, 2021

For sure! I will try to get to your stories this week! :)

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
19:57 Mar 14, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Oh my god...I was so emotional reading it...great work I really felt like it was real! Keep writing!

Reply

Lani Lane
22:48 Nov 18, 2020

Thank you so much, Varsha! :)

Reply

sure I love dogs, do read my story and tell me what you think!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:17 Nov 13, 2020

As soon as I heard the friend tell her to call her later, I was like NOOOOOOO! I knew it was going to happen, and my eyes teared up before I even read the next line. I may or may not have been reading this before my class started, and may or may not have been almost crying. My teacher looked at me and asked if I was okay, and I said, "The dog's about to die," and she nodded like she totally understood. Very good job!

Reply

Lani Lane
14:21 Nov 13, 2020

Oh my gosh, that's sad yet a bit funny--thank you so much for your wonderful comment!! I'm sorry it made you tear up, but that was the goal. ;) Also, LOVE your bio, I think Allegiant was a mess as well! Ugh how could Veronica do that to Tris...and her readers... ughhhhhh.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
12:57 Nov 13, 2020

Well, it's almost 5am and I'm in the dark crying now. This is a clever take on the prompt, because it's hard to know if it is their time as dogs can't verbally say as such. It was so simple, and true to what many of us pet owners experience.... My old gal is 13, and I ask her all the time if she's alright. I'm not ready. I really loved your story.

Reply

Lani Lane
14:22 Nov 13, 2020

Thank you so much!! I'm so glad you could connect to it. What's your gal's name? :) We had a dog that was actually seventeen when he passed and it was so hard.

Reply

Shea West
16:42 Nov 13, 2020

Her name is LJ. She's a black lab, 13 years old sweetest girl ever.

Reply

Lani Lane
04:40 Nov 14, 2020

Aw so cute!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alya Kaikuahine
12:49 Nov 13, 2020

This story is so heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. I really like how you interpreted the prompt into a different way that most people can relate to. Amazing job! Please keep writing!

Reply

Lani Lane
14:22 Nov 13, 2020

Thank you so much, Ally! Means a lot :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Patrick H
12:47 Nov 13, 2020

A tear jerker for sure. Nicely done

Reply

Lani Lane
14:22 Nov 13, 2020

Thank you, Patrick!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yasaman Ghobadi
08:22 Nov 13, 2020

I didn't read the prompt first so I was truly shocked. Loved it❤ The atmosphere was bright all thorough the story. Keep writing please👌🏻

Reply

Lani Lane
14:23 Nov 13, 2020

Thank you so much, Yasaman! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cathryn V
04:16 Nov 13, 2020

Leilani, You've written a truly loving story, perfect for the prompt. I choked up reading it. Very well done. Thank you!

Reply

Lani Lane
14:23 Nov 13, 2020

Thank for reading and commenting, Cathryn! Appreciate it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Regina Perry
14:28 Nov 12, 2020

I read the first paragraph and I thought, wait, he's seventeen? That's pretty old for a dog. And I looked it up and saw that even for the breeds of dogs that live the longest, 17 is still old. So when she started talking about making it "the best day," I knew what was gonna happen right away. It was still heartbreaking, though.

Reply

Lani Lane
14:23 Nov 13, 2020

17 is pretty old! That's how long my dog lived, he was a big guy and still outlived a lot of the smaller dogs... miss him every day :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.