142 comments

Thriller

Hey there. My name is Rosalie Parks. I was always an ordinary girl. I read books, watched television, went to school, got bullied, wrote stories, etc. I was always one of those people who wanted to be famous. I wanted everyone to know me and scream my name and if you can believe it, it became true. You know except for the fact that I'm living that dream from a dead girl's life.


Whoa, right?


Let me lead you to the moments my life had changed - forever.


"Hey look everyone, it's Rosalie." One idiot says.


"She looks so pretty." A bimbo adds.


"She's so great." Another says.


"I love your outfit!" Someone calls out.


Cheers fill the room as Rosalie walks by.


Now, this is may make me seem like I'm the most popular girl ever. It makes it look like I'm glamorous and that everyone adores me but unfortunately, it couldn't be further from the truth. The fantasy was nice while it lasted though.


This is what really happened.


"Hey look everyone, it's that weird freak, Rosalie." The idiot says.


"She's so ugly." The bimbo adds.


"She's so.... eww." Another says in disgust.


"What the hell is she wearing?" Someone calls out.


What everyone is actually doing is throwing things at me as I walk by.


Now, this was more like it. My life in a nutshell people. I'd wallow in self-pity right about now but today, I'm numb. High school will do that to you.


After people continue throwing hurtful words and garbage at me, I take my leave for the day and go to my favorite bridge. It has the most amazing view. Dark blue waves, doves swaying and flying by. No cars. No people. Just peace.


However, today was different. When I got there, I saw a woman standing on the ledge, contemplating whether or not she wanted to jump. I, of course, rushed over to stop her.


“Hey lady! What the hell are you doing? You’re going to fall down from there!”


“That’s the point! I have nothing to live for, so go on your way and leave me alone.”


“Hey, Wait! I recognize you! Your Viviane Green! The famous Movie Star.”


“In the flesh.”


“What could ever make you want to end your life? You have everything. Fame, fans, and money.”


“Yes, but the real question is, is it even worth it? Everyone and everything is fake. This lifestyle is made to tear everyone down. They feed off of that. But they won’t get me. I won’t let them.”


“Who is they?”


“Everyone.”


“But you can’t leave, Viviane you have people depending on you. I’m depending on you. I aspire to be just like you.”


“Is that so? Ok, then that’s what you’ll be.”


“I’m not following.”


“Be me. I don’t know if you’ve looked in a mirror lately, but your resemblance to me is striking. There is a car waiting for me down that road. They’ll start looking for me soon, so get in that car, and be me.”


Before I could say anymore, she jumped over the bridge. I was baffled and froze. This was freaking insane. I couldn’t just up and be someone else. That’s crazy. What about my own life? Wouldn’t people miss me? Who am I kidding? Nobody would even notice if I disappeared. I have no friends and my foster parents ignore me. So maybe I should do this. Be somebody. I’ll finally have my dream. Thank you, Viviane.


Without thinking on the topic anymore, I walked over to the car and got in. Goodbye Rosalie. Hello Viviane.



Months after, I was invested in Viviane’s lifestyle. The lights, the camera, the fans, interviews, and God so much more. People loved me so much. No one ever suspected a thing. I was everything I had ever wanted to be but then, the guilt started to build up. The real Viviane was dead. Would anyone find out? What would happen to me? What am I saying? These people are too stupid to even know the difference.


Today, I’m making a debut of the red carpet. The millionth for Viviane, but the first for me.


“Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh omg, its Viviane!”


It feels so good to have people cheering for you in a way that makes you feel good, not ashamed. Like what I was usually used to.


“Viviane! We love you!”


My, this is so magical. This is amazing. The way this is going, I’d be crazy to ever have another problem. I could get used to this.


“Is it me or does Viviane look different?


Yes, I’m – wait what?! I quickly turn and look at two teen girls with suspicious looks on their faces huddled over to one side, whispering, and looking at me. Just like in school. Rosalie would just walk on with her head low, but Viviane wouldn’t. She’d face them with her head held high. And with that, I pointed back and raised my voice at them.


“Hey, you two!”


They both abruptly turn to look at me.

“I don’t know who you two think you are, but I am Viviane Green.”


“Viviane wouldn’t yell at her fans.” One of them says.


“I’m not yelling at you.”


I lean in when I say the next part.


“I’m simply letting you know that if you mess with me, you’re going to get burned. Nobody is going to take this from me especially two ordinary wastes like you. Trust me you don’t want to mess with me.”


I lift up my head and smile like I hadn’t just threatened them and walk away, pleased with myself.


The night consists of partying, mingling, drinking, and laughing. This is exactly like what I imagined it be. This is where I have always belonged. After the movie premiere party is over, I head to Viviane’s mansion which is might I tell you, magnificent. I feel like a queen when I enter.


I walk into the bathroom and face the mirror and smile. But on the other side of the mirror, the face that looks back is Viviane. The real one that is. She, however, isn’t smiling. She actually looks rather sad and begins to speak.


“How could you do this to me? I thought you were my fan. How could you kill someone you admire?”


“I didn’t kill you. You jumped, remember?”


“You’re insane.”

“No, I’m famous.”


I smile and dose away, thinking about our encounter at the bridge, aka the best day of my life.



Viviane stood on the bridge’s ledge looking out at the river smiling. This startled me as I walked over because I assumed, she was trying to jump.


“Hey! What the hell are you doing! You’re going to fall down from there!”


“Oh, hi darling, don’t worry I always do this. I grew up here. Sometimes I come over to stare out at the view, it’s a great way to have time to myself when fans and cameras aren’t chasing me around.”


“What do you- OMG! You’re Viviane Green!”


“In the flesh.”


“I’m Rosalie, your biggest fan! I love you so much!”


She smiles.


“Nice to meet you, Rosalie, it’s always nice to see another fan.”


I smile at her and join her on the ledge.


“Hey, did anyone ever tell you how much you looked like me? Our resemblance is striking.”


I smile wide.



“No, I don’t really have anyone close to telling me that. The only thing people say is that I look is ugly.”


“That’s terrible, well for what it’s worth, I think you’re beautiful, especially if you have a face that looks like mine. I mean that in the most unvain way possible.”


“Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. I hate this town so much. Nobody understands me. I want to leave this town and be just like you.”


“Listen, honey, fame isn’t all that you see. It’s a lot of work and it comes with a lot of emotional baggage. If you aren’t prepared for it, then this business will eat you alive.”


I don’t know what it was but at that moment, I snapped at her. My own idol didn’t even believe in me.


“Are you saying I’m not cut out for it? Is that what you're implying Viviane! I was made for this life!”


“Calm down darling I’m not saying your no-


“Don’t fucking tell me to calm down! Nobody believes in me and I’m tired of it! Why can’t anyone just be happy for me! Nobody cares about me! I have no friends, both of my real parents are dead, and I’m alone! Why would you deliberately try to drain my hope! I HATE YOU!!”


Viviane started to look visibly worried and tried to turn around, but I stopped her.

“You know what, you are right.”


Viviane still looks startled but answers.


“Right about what?”


I smile at her, making sure to never look away.


“We do look alike, don’t we. If I were you, nobody would ever notice.”


“Yes, I suppose that would be true.”


“Then I guess I’ll do it.”


“Do what?”


“Be you.”


A look of horror spreads across Viviane’s face but before she can react, I push her over the bridge, where all that is left to be heard are the screams that escape her mouth. But then abruptly, they stop. Then I’m brought back to reality, staring back at Viviane’s solemn face.


“Thank you, Viviane. For giving me this to gift. You’ve given me a second chance. That day, I was going to jump over that bridge, but there you were, waiting for me, like an angel.”


“I never asked you to take my life! You have a mental problem, Rosalie! What makes you think people won’t find out?!”


“They won’t. They’ll be those who try but don’t succeed. It’s my turn to be happy now. I’ll kill more if I have to. And nobody can stop me.”


“Please don’t do this.”


“I can’t stop what’s already been done. I’m bored with you now. Goodbye Viviane.”


With that, I leave the bathroom, shut the door, and lay on my bed.


I was brought the chance of a lifetime and I took the opportunity. You can call me crazy, but I knew what I had to do.


Now the question is, would you?

September 01, 2020 03:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

142 comments

ℤ ℍ☮️
23:45 Nov 15, 2020

I love this story!!! It's chilling to the bone! She seems innocent at first but her thoughts slowly become more and more psycologically twisted. Great story!

Reply

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:42 Oct 03, 2020

Hey :D could you check out "Crossover: the traitor" and leave some feedback?

Reply

Yeah, I promise I will when I can I'm gonna be busy this week, but I can check it out on Thursday, just remind me.

Reply

B. W.
02:39 Oct 04, 2020

That's alright ^^ though i'm kinda lonely because no one else is talking, can we still talk?

Reply

Aww of course! 😁

Reply

B. W.
06:35 Oct 04, 2020

Yay ^^ what do ya think of this weeks prompts?

Reply

I love this week's prompts and I was planning to write actually but my laptop broke.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:36 Sep 28, 2020

I'm not sure if i really checked this one out or not but just to keep it a bit short: like your other ones it's still good and get's a 10/10 :) i was wondering if ya could actually help me with something?

Reply

thanks, what do you need?

Reply

B. W.
23:36 Sep 28, 2020

Well i'm working on a novel, i could use some help with it like the names for the characters, i could tell you the plot so it would be easier to help?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
15:38 Sep 18, 2020

Heya Melony ^^ i made a new story so could you check out "Crossover: the plan" and leave some feedback?

Reply

Hey B, I'd be glad to, I'll read that in a few.

Reply

B. W.
15:46 Sep 18, 2020

thanks ^^ and yeah that's fine

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:12 Sep 11, 2020

Hey melony? i know its kinda been a little while but i was wondering if you could maybe help me with something?

Reply

Sure, what's up?

Reply

B. W.
02:53 Sep 12, 2020

Well you know my demi-god series? i plan on doing a spin off for it and i need some help with it

Reply

Yikes, I'm terrible with fantasy so I don't think I help with that.

Reply

B. W.
04:10 Sep 12, 2020

Could ya at least help with the character names? cuz thats another thing i haven't been able to think of, there's two dudes and two girls

Reply

yeah sure give me second

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marian Reiley
06:55 Sep 11, 2020

Wow! I totally didn't see the whole crazy killer fan bit coming! Gave me chills! Also very well done with the dialogue.

Reply

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:04 Sep 10, 2020

This is great! I love how the main character was so passionate about being famous she would go to crazy lengths for her dream to be true. So well written and intriguing! I hope you write more stories like this.

Reply

I will! Thank you so much for reading!

Reply

21:27 Sep 10, 2020

No problem, I’m glad I did read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ellie Waterson
17:55 Sep 09, 2020

Holy heck. This is amazing. I loved the dark twist and the way it all plays out. You've got some talent, girl. Keep writing! also if you wouldnt mind could you check out my story please?

Reply

Thank you so much! I would be honored to check out your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
08:27 Sep 09, 2020

Melony!!! This is really great! I loved how as I read, her character changed completely. The whole story changed! This was so beautifully written! The intensity built up as I read along. I honestly loved this! Such a creative and amazing take on the prompt! Hope you’re staying safe and that you keep writing!

Reply

Thank you so much Doubra! I tried to be as thrilling as possible. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I hope you're staying safe too.

Reply

Doubra Akika
09:24 Sep 09, 2020

It was my pleasure! And I am, thanks so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lee Jay
05:55 Sep 09, 2020

What a twist! I loved the intensity you built up throughout the story. Rosalie is quietly relatable although delusional. Interesting psychological development - well executed with a richly developed point of view. Excellent work! I can wait to see what you write next :) Check out a story of mine if you feel like :)

Reply

I love this comment! Thank you so much for reading, it would be my pleasure to read a story from you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Skyler Grey
20:33 Sep 08, 2020

Whoa. That was amazing and unexpected, and I loved every letter. I also entered the contest under this prompt, and now I see I have no chance. Best of luck, and enjoy your $50. Also, I read in your bio you like mysteries/horror. If you would, please check out my first story called "Scarlet-Stained Secrets" that I entered in this contest.

Reply

I doubt I'll win but thanks for the train of hope. I'm sure you have a fighting chance though. I would be delighted to check out your story. I wish you luck as well.

Reply

Skyler Grey
14:00 Sep 09, 2020

I've been reading through Reedsy to size up my competitors, lol, and you're one of the best I've read. It fits the theme in a dark, twisted way.

Reply

Aww, thanks! I try, don't put your story down, you have a fighting chance as well. You're an awesome writer.

Reply

Skyler Grey
21:17 Sep 09, 2020

Thanks! Would you believe I'm 11?

Reply

Wow! You're a way better writer than I was at 11! See this is your calling, do the world a favor and stick with it. You got this writing thing in a bag. ;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C.j 🤍
18:03 Sep 01, 2020

Awesome job I just posted a story,could you please read it

Reply

I sure can! Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.