38 comments

Fiction Funny Fantasy

Picture it.

A shadowy figure moves through an alleyway. Past a tabby cat. Around a dumpster filled with refuse. Dancing over muddy puddles that reflect neon signs advertising coming attractions.

A spy movie. Perhaps a prestige picture.

The mysterious and nefarious being makes his way up to a couple waiting with their young child for a taxi to whisk them back to suburbia. Back to a pleasant house in a pleasant neighborhood where there are no alleyways or honking horns or men who know nothing but darkness in their hearts. The kind of darkness that crawls up to innocence looking for a dime or a dollar or a hundred dollars so it can feed the greed that vines its way around whatever’s left of a soul.

This little family is about to be terrorized by that rogue, that soundrel, that antagonist. The little daughter will be traumatized as her doll falls to the sidewalk. The mother will scream, but that dastardly devil will put his filthy, gloved hand up to her mouth to silence her as her husband watches on in horror. He’ll hand over what cash he has on him, and the evildoer will disappear into the night, but the damage will have been done.

Unless…

Someone puts a stop to it.

A hero with the agility of a lynx, the intelligence of a dolphin, and the ambiguity of a Yeti. Someone who can intercept crime before its inception. An advocate for justice and righteousness who can break the morale of those who would wound the most vulnerable among us. A champion to help the common man dream sweetly in their beds.

I--

Am not that hero.

I--

Am Snail Man.

That is what brings me here today.

I am requesting--a name change.

For you see, there is no way for me to perform my duties as a superhero if the animal I am meant to emulate--is a snail.

Now, I have nothing against the adorable little creatures. Yes, it’s true that I resist touching them or looking at them. Yes, I have sampled the occasional escargot when visiting Paris. Yes, my father was killed by a rout of snails as he was walking home from the chalet of his mistress, but none of that matters when it comes to my sworn duty as a crime-fighter. The only salient point is that I am unable to run at the unethical when I see them in action, because snails do not run.

Once I reach the criminals--assuming they haven’t fled, most don’t, rather, they stay and mock me--I am unable to pummel them as my costume does not allow me movement in my arms and legs since snails have neither. The victims must watch as I crawl back into my shell while assailants wail on the poorly insulated structure. I hide out there, covered in my own goo, wishing I could be any other kind of creature.

Please, I beseech you, let me take on another form.

It need not be something glamorous.

Were you to bestow upon me the title of Lemur Guy, I would wear it happily. Sloth Fellow? Proudly. Naked Mole-rat Boy? I’m a bit long in the tooth to be a boy, but other than that, I’m fine with it. I welcome it. I wrap my arms around it.

Just please relinquish me from the title of Snail Man.

None of the superhero teams will have me fight alongside them. Not even the Ninja Turtles, who, if you ask me, are hypocrites for discriminating against me due to my lack of speed. I expected better from my shelled brethren, and yet, here we are.

I am an island.

A snail island.

Felonies pass by me the way a ship would and I must simply sit on the sand and witness their travels, because I am incapable of fighting back.

When I travel out at night to begin my shift, large birds swoop down and try to consume me. Half my life is spent hiding from owls. One particularly hot day in July, I saw a bank robbery in progress and could do nothing, because a mischievous teen had aimed a magnifying glass at me and I was nearly burnt up on the spot.

I understand that we can’t all be Batman or Captain America, but must the lower-tier heroes be thrown the scraps of names and identities? It’s bad enough that I’m Snail Man by night, but by day isn’t much better. Tasking me with being the man at the mobile phone store who helps the elderly set up their voicemail? Forcing me to live in a squalid apartment with three other roommates--two of whom are owls? Expecting me to spend my own money cleaning that ghastly suit you make me wear because when I’m in character, the goo drenches every inch of it, and the smell is--

It’s too much, I say!

This cannot continue.

I am warning you now--a man can only take so much.

If I had a finger available to me right now, I would be shaking it in your collective faces. You, the Commission for Naming Superheroes, has done me a disservice, and I demand that it be rectified post haste!

Mark my words, you will either grant me a new persona, or you will have one less hero out on the avenues fighting the good fight, and a new villain to worry about instead.

Yes, you heard me.

I shall take Snail Man from light to dark, and I will do so with gusto!

Though I may not be able to make much of an impact while I am on the side of right, it is lucky for me that destruction requires far less acumen.

So help me, I will slither through these streets slowly knocking over trash cans and leaving a trail of mucus everywhere I go! It may not rise to the level of anarchy you usually worry about, but someone will still have to clean it up, and Janitor Man retired last week.

Well.

Now that I’ve said my peace, I shall retire back to my apartment and hide out in my closet so as not to be eaten by either of my roommates. My third roommate is a stand-up gent, but I believe he may be The Polar Bear in disguise. I notice he likes to keep the air conditioner on even in the dead of winter and I’ve spotted him scooping fish out of the bathtub when he thought nobody was home.

You see how observant I am?

I’m an asset.

One you’d hate to lose.

Because once I walk out that door, it’ll take me forever to make my way back.

March 04, 2022 23:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

L.M. Lydon
14:13 Mar 06, 2022

This is a great concept! I enjoyed reading this so much (the ending line was a good kick, as was the threat to turn to evil). You open very strongly, with such vivid detail- my only comment might be that the sentence fragments at the beginning become a bit distracting. The whole plea to the commission is also spectacular ("Were you to bestow upon me the title of Lemur Guy, I would wear it happily. Sloth Fellow? Proudly. Naked Mole-rat Boy? I’m a bit long in the tooth to be a boy, but other than that, I’m fine with it. I welcome it. I wrap my...

Reply

Story Time
02:37 Mar 07, 2022

Thank you so much. I appreciate the thoughtful criticism.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
01:44 Mar 06, 2022

What a useless superhero! I love it! So absurd!

Reply

Story Time
02:17 Mar 06, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Charlie Murphy
02:37 Mar 06, 2022

You're welcome. I submitted a racy story that I'm not sure if I should scrap it or edit it. Can you read it?

Reply

Story Time
02:37 Mar 06, 2022

Absolutely!

Reply

Charlie Murphy
02:40 Mar 06, 2022

An Unbreakable Bond

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
03:21 Mar 11, 2022

This is great, Kevin. I love how it reads like a conversational piece more than anything else. There are also many great lines throughout that kept me chuckling as I read. Well done!

Reply

Story Time
03:28 Mar 11, 2022

Thank you my friend!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paul Brown
18:14 Mar 10, 2022

Kevin, hilarious buddy, the concept was brilliant, you really brought the sympathy out in me for his plight. Great story. :)

Reply

Story Time
19:41 Mar 10, 2022

Thank you so much, Paul.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Roueche
18:24 Mar 09, 2022

This story literally made me laugh aloud! You have such awesome style. I hope to one day be as talented as you.

Reply

Story Time
19:21 Mar 09, 2022

Thank you so much, Daniel.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
17:58 Mar 09, 2022

Smiled all the way through!😄 You have a great sense of the absurd.

Reply

Story Time
18:03 Mar 09, 2022

Thank you Cindy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McCampbell Molly
00:45 Mar 09, 2022

Fun story. Love the short sentences.

Reply

Story Time
16:59 Mar 09, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James KOTORAC
23:49 Mar 08, 2022

Really liked the story. Very funny!

Reply

Story Time
00:44 Mar 09, 2022

Thank you very much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Okashi Kashi
21:46 Mar 05, 2022

Witty and fun to read! There's a fine line between good and bad humour (especially within writing) and it's safe to say you've nailed it. If I were to have one criticism, it's that you could've given Snail Man a stronger reason to change his name, just to suit the prompt a little bit better. Besides that, this work is fantastic!

Reply

Story Time
22:52 Mar 05, 2022

Yeah I think that's a fair criticism. Sometimes I get so carried away with the story I let the original prompt get watered down.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:12 Mar 05, 2022

The last line is worth the price of admission -- !! Your witty, urbane humor in peak form here. "DC Comics on Line 1..."

Reply

Story Time
17:14 Mar 05, 2022

Thank you, my friend!

Reply

17:26 Mar 05, 2022

AND THIS IS A RECOMMENDED STORY THIS WEEK -- Twopeat??

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
16:52 Mar 05, 2022

This is funny as hell, Kevin. I KNOW you had fun writing this one. The voice was phenomenal, and the character development hilarious and unexpected. Joining the dark side over something as simple as a name change is such a wild twist, but it feels like the natural progression of the narrative, and you gave us Snail Man's frustration about his lot in life with such detail and conviction that we're on his side the whole time. Love it - love everything about this. I usually post my favorite line, but the whole thing was spot on and I can't choo...

Reply

Story Time
17:16 Mar 05, 2022

Thank you, Zack!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sue Hunter
16:11 Mar 05, 2022

This was a very well-written, funny story! I really enjoyed it. Great work!

Reply

Story Time
17:16 Mar 05, 2022

Thank you, Sue!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:14 Mar 05, 2022

You are a master with words! I couldn't help but laugh while reading your story. It was such a clever take on a prompt. Great work!

Reply

Story Time
17:16 Mar 05, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scout Tahoe
14:43 Mar 05, 2022

Hi Kevin! Here for critique circle - I think this story is hilarious. You created the backstories for everyone and everything so cleverly, and they all actually made sense! No critiques on my part, just chuckles and dropping my phone into my bowl of Cheetos. This story made me smile.

Reply

Story Time
17:17 Mar 05, 2022

Thank you, Scout!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
02:50 Mar 05, 2022

-the ambiguity of a yeti -Yes, my father was killed by a rout of snails as he was walking home from the chalet of his mistress -Lemur Guy, I would wear it happily. Sloth Fellow? Proudly. Naked Mole-rat Boy? -I’ve spotted him scooping fish out of the bathtub when he thought nobody was home. 😂😂😂😂omg I am laughing so hard! So well written absolutely fantastic! You’ve included a brilliant technique that I never picked up on until now but I love it….you have these phrases that make the reader go, “what??” I don’t know how to describe it…but you...

Reply

Story Time
07:05 Mar 05, 2022

Thank you Sharon. I didn't know there even was a six word story competition!

Reply

Sharon Hancock
17:10 Mar 05, 2022

https://www.dougweller.net/ I found it on the Reedsy blog, so I assume it’s ok to share here. Looks like fun, anyway. 😻

Reply

Story Time
17:14 Mar 05, 2022

You're a gem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mister X
16:49 Mar 06, 2022

This is a “Whose Line is it Anyway” routine made into a short story. I’m not sure it works in long form. I do, however, think the writing was crisp and inventive.

Reply

Story Time
02:37 Mar 07, 2022

Thank you for taking the time to read it, I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.