Faith in the Mirror

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with a character taking a leap of faith.... view prompt

34 comments

Suspense Thriller Western


It is said, "Life blows like a wind, with no signs of direction of where." I thought before that it would make me happy, but I was mistaken, greatly mistaken. I should not have leaped, the leap of faith.


Five years have passed, yet everything was still fresh and tears-flooding. How could I forget the memory of loss which yields unexplainable dementia on me?

All I could remember was the banging, scraping of mystic nuances in the middle of the night. The sound was creepy-odd but very enchanting that I couldn’t resist the snooping. I was captivated and under controlled, but not conscious of it. I grabbed a handful of sugar, not even knowing where to use it. I continue walking in wonder until the door freely opened as someone swoops it. I suddenly raise my arms, the one with a handful of sugar, and sown the sugar in levity. I was stunned. The sugar floated in the air like atoms of a molecule, then moving atonally in a spiral way.


“What the hell?”


I’m starting to convulse, and fear took in my whole body. A voice then echoed softly, “She is nothing…No good and use…Dumb and Pillock…Shit…Fool…”

I didn’t understand, “Whose nothing, useless, dumb, shit and fool?”


Not until I reminisced my nemesis, who never cause me any good things. Those who always told me I was special, insanely one in every way, but nothing was extraordinary in me. Life for me is nothing, but chaos and prejudice where constant battles are always in my way, unceasingly rising. Mom and Dad died in my childhood years; I didn’t even have the chance to know them personally. They were anonymous to me like a river meeting up the streams in oddity. I live by myself, no relatives, just one last descent of Ace family. I couldn’t even make friends, even one friend, but enemies I can, even thousands. One is just a brainer for me.

At school, everyone calls me Psyche, a beautiful but very cold and sublime introvert who never cares about anything. Psyche was extremely beautiful that the Greeks labeled her as the “Goddess of Beauty” than Aphrodite. Aphrodite became jealous, so Psyche suffered greatly out of her insanity.

I felt I was like that, beautiful but indifferent to others. Sometimes, I think of myself like a flower in the wild, very appealing that I fanatically lured everyone to hate me. Like a moth to the flame, bringing total destructions to myself.

After moments of remembering, the sugar turned into bowls of symmetric flora that caught my attention. The pieces of dust caramelized into a tinting bath of light that shivered my retina to usurp in pain. Then a clear mirror showed in front of me, resonating soft gallant voice, “Dreams are dreams. Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

“Gandhi! Is that you, Mahatma?” I exclaimed in spontaneity.

“No less than Gandhi, I am Fate,” the Mirror replied in an omnipotent whisper.

The mirror was circular and very interesting because it oscillates rains of colors like the appearance of Northern Light in the sky.


“Uhm, Fate. What are you?” I asked trembling.


“I know you, Clare. The pain, the scorn, the curse, and the malice that they have brought to you. Would you deny their malice, deceit, and scorch?”


As Fate orates, the mirror in front projected experiences, my bad experiences. I saw my mom and dad standing breathless. They were standing like the dead. The figures faded, I next saw Michel frowning at me like the look of a lion, so fierce and taunting. Everything I had seen was my worst. Those memories that I want to drown into water and bid into a farewell. I felt uneasiness and my emotions are getting harder to control inside of me. I can almost feel that my heartbeats are beyond my grasp. The tears in my eyes are slowly cradling in my eyelash and oozing a mint mood in my rosy skin.


I then suddenly uttered, “I am alone…cold and dim,” but then a voice just exclaimed, “No, you’re not. Take a look at below.”


I bowed my sight down, and I saw beautiful new sprouts of fresh reddish flowers. I don’t have any idea what flower that is. As I bent my knee, I was surprised. The color is vibrating a gradient descent of simulating colors, and the petals were soft like baby skin. As the colors mimic in tones of color, a sweet-sounding lullaby is pitched. I then recognized it was like the sound before, the creepy but enchanting hum.


“Those flowers are your past. The most beautiful flower in our life is the flower of the past. These are exceedingly precious and only a few can see them in the mist. The sounds are sweet and soulful because the growth is hard and rigor as your progress is hard,” Fate solemnly said.


“How are they precious?” I asked in wonder.


“Those who could see them are gifted of the Fate Prophecy: The erring shall find rest in the meadow of their mirror. Right now, this is your mirror. In this mirror, lies your past, present, and your future. The Prophecy is not just simple as it is.”

The flowers were getting omnipotent in view as they wavered their angelic leaves and petals. The sounds were becoming unfathomable in the sense that I cannot almost hear the nuisances outside.


“Why me! I mean, Why?” I deliriously uttered


“You have an impetuous tragedy, the biggest tragedy that the world has ever known next to Oedipus Rex. You have the chance to change their lives or your life. One choice will bring destruction.”


“The choice is within, not outside. Opt,” the last word echoed in woe.


My life will surely change once I enter that surface, but I don’t know how it will detour. Happiness, family, friends, and life? Will it be there, or will it just be there?

But, all I know is that all will change, and I will change.

April 17, 2021 01:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Chacko Stephen
14:56 May 16, 2021

"Sometimes, I think of myself like a flower in the wild, very appealing that I fanatically lured everyone to hate me. Like a moth to the flame, bringing total destructions to myself." This was extremely well written, buddy. Amazing job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
14:44 Apr 24, 2021

it would make me happy; happy fairy is here to sprinkle happy dust so smile brother

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amel Parvez
12:30 May 28, 2021

Ahh! A M A Z i N G loved it:) am not good at feedbacks. lol

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
08:59 Jun 02, 2021

It's okay No offense! :):)

Reply

Amel Parvez
10:57 Jun 02, 2021

haha Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
21:17 May 27, 2021

that is amazing!!!!!!!!!! keep it up and treat us more with your stories. :) hoping to see your other stories soon :)

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
08:56 Jun 02, 2021

I hope too, if time permits, I will gladly do it! :)):)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
17:06 Jun 02, 2021

you will get time. i'll pray :) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
R. E. Dressler
20:17 May 17, 2021

So poetic and great message. Love the idea that the most beautiful flowers are your worst memories. The things most painful in life are the things that bring about the biggest changes. Keep up the good writing!

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
09:14 May 18, 2021

I'll keep it in my mind! Thanks, much to say, your the best!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:52 Dec 31, 2021

I loved your writing the story was well crafted would like to make contribution to our team here is short introduction Sorry for inconvenience ignore it I am just bothering you We are Team Abhedya Racing; a group of passionate engineering undergraduates who participate in the BAJA competition organized by SAE at a National and International level. We have started this fundraiser to help fund our efforts in securing an All India Rank of 1 in the ongoing BAJA 2022 season. We have made it to an All India Rank of 6 in Phase 1 of the season whe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arwen Dove
21:09 May 28, 2021

Great story!

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
08:53 Jun 02, 2021

Thanks much Arwen:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Williwaw Puleon
08:53 Jun 02, 2021

Thanks much Arwen:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Williwaw Puleon
08:54 Jun 02, 2021

Thanks much Arwen:)

Reply

Arwen Dove
19:35 Jun 02, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
E.C. Nickelson
15:34 May 17, 2021

"Sometimes, I think of myself like a flower in the wild, very appealing that I fanatically lured everyone to hate me. Like a moth to the flame, bringing total destructions to myself." Love this imagery, Darling! Simply beautifully written.

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
09:13 May 18, 2021

Ahhhh, I totally appreciate it, Rose. Thanks much for that:):)

Reply

E.C. Nickelson
13:34 May 18, 2021

Mornin', Darlin'! You're welcome, Williwaw!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sharmishtha Saha
04:38 May 16, 2021

Wow. 👍🏻

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
09:08 May 18, 2021

Ahhhh, Thanks!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
02:29 May 16, 2021

Thanks for following me. I liked your story! Can you read mine, " The Path to Passive Teenage World Domination?"

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
09:09 May 18, 2021

Sure, why not :) Thanks for reading mine:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maddy Writes
01:38 May 16, 2021

THIS IS AMAZING!!! Such a beautiful story and plot line< I hope you can continue to keep on writing, your imagination is truly inspiring!!🙂✨👍💖💖💖 Sending my best, 🌙The Green Witch🍄

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
01:47 May 16, 2021

So amazing! I'm really, I dunno !? It feels good with you Thanks much, I'll keep it in my head :) #bestregardforyou Thanks a lot, much to write:):)😊😊😊😉

Reply

Maddy Writes
01:51 May 16, 2021

OF COURSE!!! Keep it up :)👍✨

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Building Two 201
09:02 Apr 21, 2021

Keep writing Puleon. GL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ina Puleon
08:58 Apr 21, 2021

I love your story!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Williwaw Puleon
01:58 Apr 17, 2021

I'd love to hear some critiques. Feel free to say it below:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
11:50 Apr 21, 2021

Excellent story................( student of bia)

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
08:54 Apr 22, 2021

Thanks a lot, Bia for your appreciation! :):):)

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
11:07 Apr 22, 2021

You are most welcome, rather I have an opportunity to read such an amazing, artistic master piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
11:56 Apr 22, 2021

I wrote :"I need to talk to my fairy" will you plz read

Reply

Williwaw Puleon
05:57 Apr 24, 2021

Gladly!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.