Littlest Bear’s Big Adventures

Submitted into Contest #194 in response to: Write a story inspired by the phrase “The plot thickens.”... view prompt

19 comments

Fantasy Friendship Funny

Littlest Bear’s Big Adventures 



As soon as Beginning of Time had begun, Bears ambled traipsily hither and yon. Bigger and small of them, shorter and tall of them, furrily all of them—all, except one.


Bigger Bear, chuffing and snuffily shuffling, waddled and waded in water so crystalline. Wishfully, fishingly, ever more cleverly snatching and catching the slippery prey, Bigger Bear—robust and pridefully powerful—routed his cowerful rivals away.


Tauntingly, flauntingly, flourishing famously, growling and gloatsome or sleepily still, Bear was impressive. His manner (possessive) of keeping his habitat his, was aggressive. 


His fettle was fine and his mettle astir when he chanced upon Gossip that prickled his fur and set it on end. 

“I contend,” said Bear, priggishly, fearsome and biggishly, “Rumors are spreading that mustn't be true. There’s Word hereabout of a Bear that is stout and invincible—nearly invisible, too. I can’t comprehend it. I find it offensive!” 


So, thoughtfully pensive, his mind in a stew, he settled himself at the side of a slough. 

It’s silly! Bear spoke to himself. They’re elusive, yet everywhere? Can’t be! The facts are askew!


The slippery slope that he sat on collapsed, and he grasped at the moss that grew greenly and thick. From within (was he dreaming?) the pawful of stuff, now a voice came. Or did it? Bear’s mind played a trick.


But perhaps…


Yet again to his ear, from the clump of chartreuse, came a chatter—insistent, profuse. A soft little patter of verbiage, persistent, from herbage he held in his sizeable paw.


So now the plot thickens! Bear tightened his jaw. And it quickens my wit. Now, just what can it—?


“Aha! ~ Who’s there?” Bigger Bear held his paw to his eye and attempted to spy out the source of the sound, but he couldn’t see where and he couldn’t see what and he couldn’t see when, which, or who would be found.


“Look closer!” the high, tintinnabular wisp of a voice cried, impatient, with never a lisp. “If your wish is to see me, our nascent relationship quickly will bloom to a confabulation.”


So Bear, to his credit, did something no predator—ursid or otherwise—practiced before. He squinted and blinked and he squinted some more, until something appeared that he couldn’t ignore:


A comical caricature of a bear, microscopic in size, with a manner methodical, sat in a nest of some moisty-green moss with a charming appearance (indeed, arthropodical).


Though he was tiny, his limbs were abundant. There seemed to be eight—Isn’t that quite redundant? the Bigger Bear thought, but didn’t remark on excessive appendages, useful or not.


“You’re such a little thing!” Bear said, astonished. 

“Oh, never mind that,” the small creature admonished. “My kith and my kin can survive astronomical heights and extremes. Such superb anatomical, marvelous forms are quite handy, it seems.


“We’ve undergone freezing, and boiling, and frying. From bloated to wrinklish. Hydration to drying. Some sleep, Rip-Van-Winkleish, for decades, you know. When put under pressure, our functions can slow.


“We’ve been given a gift of surviving extremes. It’s called cryptobiosis. Quite special, it seems. When times are too trying for us to exist without water sufficient, (now, here comes the twist!) we enter a ‘tun’. It’s unique and efficient! And here’s how it’s done: Now, the process we use is the natural slowing or stopping of growing and bodily functions depleting our juices.


“Our skin, as it were, is a suit made of armor-y firmness; from harm or egregious abuse it’s a shield. You know, it’s a buckler we use. But we certainly grow, and our hide has no stretch or elastic-y trait—so we know we must wait ’til we molt, and a new shell of protein is made. As we wade in the water or sit in the sun, whether fully alert or asleep in a ‘tun’, this fantastical cuticle, envelope, covering, custom veneer is a plus, and a boon.


“We’ve gone (well, not I, but my kind) to the moon, in a desiccate form, and returned to resume, rehydrated, our lives on this ball we call Earth. And I’ll tell you another thing, for what it’s worth.


“We’ve been here all along, but were never discovered until a zoologist happened to spot, in a droplet of water above which he hovered, a minuscule critter. Quite rightly, he thought ‘twas enough like yourself, Bigger Bear, to proclaim, ‘Little Water-Bear. That is an accurate name!’”


(“‘Kleiner Wasserbär. Das ist ein richtiger Name!’ in German he said, but it all means the same.”)


“Another man—this one Italian—describing our method of moving about in the wet, thought the name ‘tardigrada’, (‘slow stepper’) was better. And so, for our phylum, a label we get. It’s a shame that the name gives a notion of weakness, instead of uniqueness. We’re little, but hardy! We’re tough as a post. Does it count that we’re tardy, with leisurely motion that’s slower than most?”


“I never!” said Bigger Bear. “All so surprising and wondrous to hear. Never fear—now, I shan’t be despising (you might be surmising) the little things. Dear friend, my deep admiration you’ve earned, and I’m honored indeed that I’ve learned what you’ve taught; that what counts is the thought. It’s not slowness or speed, but persistence! ‘Twas at your insistence, I heeded your voice!”


“I rejoice!” answered Water-Bear, clapping his paws mid-air. (Only the front ones; his hinder-legs gripping to hold, without slipping, the greenery grasped in the Bigger Bear’s paw.)


And now that he knew that the Rumor was true about Tardigrades, Water-Bears, Moss-Piglets too—the Bigger Bear happily, traipsily ambled. Reciting routinely, he boastfully rambled—to any who’d hear—of the sight that he saw (when he slipped on the slope) in the moss on his paw.


Now Water-Bear, flat in the moss-clump he sat—’til he dried in the wind and the sun made him fried. And that Water-Bear fritter, that Tardigrade critter that you might consider a Moss-Piglet too, entered cryptobiosis. And there he’d remain ’til the coming of rain rehydrated his toeses to plumpness again. 


Never worse for wear, Water-Bear tumbled and toddled—all furlessly bare—and translucently swaddled in wetness abundant, with multiple limbs of which some are redundant (as Bigger Bear thought), but they help when he swims, so you mustn’t exclaim that their purpose is lame.


There’s more to the story of Tardigrade glory; of Water-Bear beauty; of Moss-Piglet pride. You’ve heard of their toughness, inordinate fortitude, ursid resemblance, impervious hide. 


Just as Bigger Bear thought, there’s a thickening plot and the ending is not (and may never be) known. For scientists say, as they study away on the rare DNA, that the special genome has been sequenced and shown to be helpful to human survival. So, truly and verily, buoyantly, merrily minikin Water-Bear, since his arrival, has waited to be of particular worth as he floated or sat in the greenishly moss of the firth, or the slough at the end of the slope where the Bear made a friend. (That’s The End.)


April 17, 2023 02:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Chris Miller
22:02 Apr 25, 2023

Lovely story. I hope you enjoyed writing that as much as I enjoyed reading it.

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:23 Jun 25, 2023

Thanks, I did! It was lots of fun. Sorry for the delay in responding… missed a few comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
13:21 Apr 24, 2023

Kid fare so rare. This proves rules were made to be broken. Alliteration, rhyme, and new words just a token. Rightfully, delightfully and mightfully should be sightfully with trophy fortnightfully. Oh,well. Obvious I can't compete with talent so sweet!

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:25 Jun 25, 2023

Ha! I appreciate the rhyming response! Sometimes I can’t hold it in… ; )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
20:37 Apr 22, 2023

If words could dance . . . take that back, your words do dance, Cindy! I absolutely enjoyed every word of this jaunty tale of yours. It was Winkin Blinkin and Nod fun and fancy and frolicking. Anytime anyone discovers a new language or a new world, I'm all in and in awe! Beautifully done, Cindy - I vote this one the top prize!

Reply

Cindy Strube
05:30 Jun 25, 2023

Thanks, Susan! I enjoyed myself way too much, writing this. It was indeed a frolic! Sorry for the delay in responding, and reading yours. I’ve been offline a lot lately.

Reply

Susan Catucci
11:48 Jun 25, 2023

I thought of you when I worked on If Ostriches Could Fly - I think you'll appreciate why. It's great to hear from you!

Reply

Cindy Strube
15:20 Jun 25, 2023

I will make a point of reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
16:53 Apr 21, 2023

What an excellent story in rhyme! The bouncy paragraphs are fun to read and support rather than overwhelm the story as verse can sometimes do. I see this flying of shelves as a large format book with adorable tardigrade illustrations accompanying all the great rhyming!

Reply

Cindy Strube
19:47 May 24, 2023

Thanks for the read and comment. I’m glad it was fun to read, as rhyme and rhythm seemed to suit the water bear! Well, that’s a fun image. ; )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
16:04 Apr 19, 2023

The cadence of the rhyming of the prose as you celebrated the value of the tardigrades. Something that was really awesomely accomplished. Your masterful display of talent with your diction and arrangement of words concerning alliteration at times, rhyming, and assonance were well represented. Awesome! LF6.

Reply

Cindy Strube
18:54 May 24, 2023

Thanks, Lily! I appreciate the detailed response, and also that you took the time to reread. I’ve been offline for several weeks, so my reply is much delayed. I wanted to be sure you know I value your input! I very much enjoyed putting this together.

Reply

Lily Finch
22:08 May 24, 2023

NP - I like reading your stuff. LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:38 Apr 18, 2023

A charming ode to tardigrades :) And the prose started singing as I read along, bouncing with a jolly cadence. I like the word play. With the rhyming, there's a bit of a meandering feeling, which fits the movements of the bear. Well put together, amusing, and even educational. Not an easy combo - well done!

Reply

Cindy Strube
17:45 May 24, 2023

“Jolly cadence” - that’s just what I hoped to portray. ; ) Tardigrades are fascinating. I think my favorite way of writing is to combine facts and whimsy, but it doesn’t always work. I really enjoyed writing this, so glad it came together. (Apologies for the long delay - haven’t been active reading/writing for the last month.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
18:11 Apr 18, 2023

Whoa Cindy! At first I wasn’t sure what was going on with all the unfamiliar adverbs but suddenly I sensed rhythm and rhyme and wouldn’t you know it, I discovered a poet! You set a trap, then holy crap! I was caught in the story you cleverly wrought in delightful strokes for ordinary folks to read and enjoy…boy oh boy! Masterful job Cindy!

Reply

Cindy Strube
17:17 May 24, 2023

Hi Viga - sorry for the delay. I haven’t been active for a month or so. Glad you enjoyed it; thanks for the lovely rhyming comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
14:27 Apr 18, 2023

For someone who has never even attempted poetry, I found it amazing that you could use it AND tell your story. Very interesting submission. I have really read anything like it on Reedsy before-thanks for sharing!

Reply

Cindy Strube
17:13 May 24, 2023

Apologies for the delay in responding. Rhyme and rhythm come easily to me, so it was fun to exercise it a bit! Thanks for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.