166 comments

Romance Fantasy

Cyrus, King of the magical hidden island of Elpida, glares at the mirror in front of him, frowning. Earlier, he asked his adviser Allan Emerson to help him get dressed for his date with Sierra. He looks definitely boring.

“What’s wrong, Your Majesty? You look like a sweet pumpkin. All modern women love this look.” Allan looks at the King’s outfit with pride.

“This is impossible! I look more like a fluffy pumpkin.” He designates the soft orange sweater and the simple black jeans. “And that horrible hat!” he adds. The black beanie with a pompom on top and the grey scarf make him look mundane and young. Only the gold watch remains from his everyday attire. No one would ever take him for a King dressed in this manner.

“But, Your Majesty, this is what modern men from London dress like according to my research!” Allan explains.

“Fine, I shall look ridiculous! Time to go. Prepare the portal,” says Cyrus, glancing at his watch.

***

Cyrus arrives in London right on time, and right next to the coffee shop. Its name is displayed in big letters, Starbucks, and he wonders who chose this ugly name. He also wonders why Sierra invited him to an ugly place and not to visit a castle or a palace. No palace could ever be as great as his anyway.

The cool wind rustles the fallen leaves, scattering them in every direction. The trees still display colors from the brightest shade of yellow to the darkest shade of red.

Cyrus turns and sees Sierra arriving. Wearing black knee-high boots and a white sweater-dress that covers her thighs and her arms, her elegant beauty startles him. He smiles and starts to join her. When he is close enough, his smile falters. She keeps glancing behind her and she looks worried, as if she was watching her back carefully anticipating someone to bounce on her. When she sees him, she sighs.

“Cyrus! Glad to see you! How are you?” A tiny smile tugs on her lips.

“Good morning darling!” He reaches for her hand and kisses it softly and tenderly. “I am great, what about you? You look worried, is everything alright?” He is still holding her hand, almost tightly as if scared she might disappear if he lets go.

“Oh, I’m fine! I just thought someone was following me. It is silly,” she says unconvinced and glancing back to the sidewalk behind. Cyrus knows better than to ignore Sierra’s impression. However, he does not wish to worry her.

“It is not silly, dear. Let’s get inside, you must be cold.” He presents her his arm and she takes it, smiling shyly like a teenager.

He holds the coffee shop’s door for her, and the smell of both sweetness and bitterness assails them. Cyrus’s eyes widen.

“What’s that smell?” he asks in wonder, already liking the place better.

“What? Never smelled coffee before?” Sierra asks.

Cyrus is already staring at the menu, his dark blue eyes a shade lighter.

“You should try their autumn specialty. It’s pumpkin-flavored. Suits you,” she tells him. He turns to her, brows drawn together.

“I knew the sweet pumpkin look was not a good idea,” he says looking at his clothes with accusing eyes.

Sierra starts laughing, “What are you saying? You look cute dressed like that.”

Cyrus lifts his head to confirm that she is sincere and grins, his confidence coming back. Sierra orders her coffee and pays with paper. Cyrus steps in front of the boy in a strange brown and green costume.

“I’ll have… same as her?” he tells the boy, unassured with all those beverage choices.

“4.50 please,” he answers.

“I… um… saw you were taking paper as payment?” Cyrus asks, regretting not to have brought some.

“I take money or card.” The boy rolls his eyes and crosses his arms.

“Oh, right.” He is about to get his gold coins but Sierra gives another piece of paper to the boy who gladly accepts it and dismisses a confused Cyrus. “You did not have to pay for me but thank you, Sierra. Your kindness is much appreciated.”

She is about to answer when a man enters the coffee shop, a gun in his hand. Cyrus recognizes the man, one he exiled from Elpida. He has just enough time to manage to harness his talents and create an illusion. The man now sees Sierra as Cyrus, and Cyrus as Sierra. He points the gun towards the person he thinks is Sierra. Cyrus can sense Sierra’s nervousness and sees her right hand fly to her mouth from the corner of his left eye. The man does not lose a second and shoots a bullet before darting back through the door.

The bullet pierces Cyrus’s shoulder. He hears the shot’s sound before feeling the pain or seeing the blood. He knows the bullet was meant for his dear Sierra as a vengeance. He took a bullet for her but he knows he won’t tell her.

Before the other costumers can react, he puts up an illusion hiding himself and Sierra. When she sees his wound, she reaches for him and he leans on her.

“Can you keep a secret?” she asks, not panicked at all which surprises Cyrus.

“For you, anything” he answers softly, his voice low and shaking because of the intense pain.

She puts her hand on his shoulder and closes her eyes. White light emerges from her hand and he can feel the pain diminishing too rapidly for it to be real. By the time she is done, only a scar remains.

“Wait” she says. “How come no one tries to help us?” She turns to him, the question lingering between them for a few seconds.

“I shielded us from view and hearing, same kind of magic as yours,” he responds, amazed at her strong healing talents. Relief covers her features. “Thank you, Sierra.”

“Of course, Cyrus. Well, should we finish our coffee then?” They both turn toward the counter where two coffees are standing, freshly brewed. Everything happened so fast that they barely realize how dangerous it could have been.

***

Two hours later, they are sitting on a bench outside, talking. Cyrus is still amazed by the taste of coffee and is already thinking about bringing this beverage to Elpida. They shall have the best coffee ever tasted.

When he checks his watch, he realizes it’s already time for him to get back to his palace.

“Unfortunately, I have to go. But I hope to see you again, soon?” he says, more as a question.

“It was a lovely date, Cyrus. You are one of the most interesting people I know. Also very charming, of course.” Her cheeks are flushed, either from the cold or from shyness. She crosses her arms over her chest which Cyrus interprets as a sign that she’s cold. He acts before thinking, as a reflex, and hugs Sierra tightly.

She puts her arms around his neck as if the movement came naturally to her, and lets his warmth seep in her. She can’t see the tears threatening to slide down Cyrus’s cheeks when he kisses her forehead.

“You are the stars, illuminating the darkness of my sky.” He means to walk away when Sierra grabs his arm. He turns, not bothering to hide the water in his eyes anymore. Her eyes are just as watery as his, and she reaches on tip-toes to him. Their breaths tangle a few seconds, before he cups her face with his hands and kisses her like she is the most fragile and precious thing in the world.

October 17, 2020 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

166 comments

Scout Tahoe
03:20 Oct 22, 2020

Okay, I know I'm a little late. *Sigh* we were all waiting for this and it finally happened. So glad this date went smoothly and that they shared a first kiss in the end! It was really cute and I can't wait for more sequels. The only bit that's confusing is the "man with the gun" part. Why is he there? Where'd he come from? And why does Sierra suddenly have healing powers? I love this. I really do.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
17:09 Oct 22, 2020

No worries! Thank you for your feedback and time! The man is just an exile from Elpida that kind of hated Cyrus. I thought about putting a backstory, but I felt like it would have taken the spotlight from Sierra and Cyrus. I wanted to keep the focus on them. I could've put more details though! And Sierra has always had healing powers, I thought I had mentioned it in one of the two previous stories, but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks again!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elizabeth Inkim
04:04 Oct 17, 2020

Hi Dalyane! Love this story, absolutely riveting! Cyrus is reoccurring and is defiantly becoming a favourite of mine. Keep going. This week I did something completely new to me, I wrote a story without outlining it beforehand, its called "Aureolus Ashes". I was such a Pantser this week, and I would love to know what you think of the pacing in this story. As usual let me know what you think in the comments and we'll chat.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
13:02 Oct 17, 2020

Hi Elizabeth! Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated. I'm glad you liked it, Cyrus is definitely a character I enjoy writing about. I checked your story out, fantastic as you'll see in my comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
17:24 Dec 22, 2020

Hey?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
20:54 Jan 11, 2021

Hey! I'm sorry, I haven't been on Reedsy lately. First, because of schools, and then I decided to get everything done before the next semester. It took way longer than I anticipated. So, catch me up! How are you doing?

Reply

B. W.
21:17 Jan 11, 2021

I guess I'm fine, though i've been really bored lately. I'm glad your back though ^^ I don't think that much has happened with me, besides that I've been working on a lot of novels and I've been making a lot of stories.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
22:02 Jan 11, 2021

That's great if you've had time to work on your stories! I'll make sure to go read some of yours when I'm all caught up on the comments and everything.:)

Reply

B. W.
22:26 Jan 11, 2021

How have ya been lately? and thanks, remember to leave feedback whenever you do eventually check out some of my stories ^^

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
15:51 Jan 12, 2021

I've been fine, you? and of course I will, no worries!:)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:28 Nov 19, 2020

heya

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:55 Nov 20, 2020

Heyyy

Reply

B. W.
01:56 Nov 20, 2020

Hola

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
02:52 Nov 22, 2020

Hola!!

Reply

B. W.
03:25 Nov 22, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:52 Oct 19, 2020

Hi Daylane :-) I've just discovered your work, to my delight. You have a knack of getting a warm humour into your story, which I admire - it's something I haven't mastered yet! If I can one day write in French, as well as you write in English, I'll be very happy! I look forward to more of your King Cyrus ...

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:46 Oct 19, 2020

Hi Mary-Claire! Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it. I did not master it in the beginning at all! I'm sure you'll get there soon, your story indicates it! I've been practicing my English a lot, so glad to see it paid off! Feel free to check out "Cyrus's Strange Trip to London" or Powerless Prince if you like Cyrus! But no pressure!:)

Reply

02:01 Oct 19, 2020

Thank you Dalyane :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:56 Oct 18, 2020

I really enjoyed this story. I loved the line, "You are the stars, illuminating the darkness of my sky." It's pivotal in where it could go with future stories with these characters.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
23:34 Oct 18, 2020

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it and this line is definitely my favorite as well! I really enjoy writing about these characters!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ariadne .
22:56 Oct 18, 2020

Wonderfully done, Dalyane! I'm not surprised. I noticed a few typos, and though the deadline's up, you might be able to fix it before it gets approved? Sorry if you can't - maybe on your own copy then. “Fine, I shall look ridiculous! Time to go. Prepare the portal” says Cyrus, glancing at his watch. ~ The comma is missing in Cyrus's dialogue. “Oh, I’m fine! I just thought someone was following me. It is silly” she says unconvinced and glancing back to the sidewalk behind. ~ Same thing here! “You should try their autumn specialty. It...

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
23:31 Oct 18, 2020

Thank you Adrienne! I'm glad you liked it! And of course your feedback is very helpful! Punctuation in English is different from French and it's my weakness. In French, we put commas in numbers, it's just confusing sometimes, thank you for helping me sorting this out!

Reply

Ariadne .
23:35 Oct 18, 2020

Ooh, you're French? Gorgeous - I wish I were French (or British)! I'm so glad I could help. I know different countries write currency differently, so you can do it whichever way. :)

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
23:42 Oct 18, 2020

I speak French but I'm actually from Quebec. I wish I was from France though, such a lovely country! And yes thank you again, every feedback on grammar is very helpful and constructive for me! :)

Reply

Ariadne .
23:43 Oct 18, 2020

Oh, that's so cool! I wish I was as interesting as that. I can't speak anything other than English. I want to learn French, though... Of course! Anytime! :)

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
00:03 Oct 19, 2020

Don't worry, you are plenty interesting as well!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
15:54 Oct 17, 2020

The cool wind rustles the leaves that fell on the ground- rustles the fallen leaves. It is more compact, avoids having a past tense verb, and eliminates 'that' word. sees Sierra arriving towards him.- arriving is fine, but arriving towards? "He is startled by her. She wears a white sweater-dress that covers her thighs and her arms with black knee-high boots." Wearing black knee-high boots and a white sweater-dress that covers her thighs and her arms, her elegant beauty startles him." Two things went wrong here- She startles him- much s...

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
16:19 Oct 17, 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time for the feedback, you are as helpful as always. I am really glad you found the story entertaining! Cyrus and Sierra are definitely two characters I really enjoy writing about!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:24 Nov 22, 2020

heyyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
21:01 Nov 18, 2020

heyyyy

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
02:37 Nov 19, 2020

Heyy!!

Reply

B. W.
02:50 Nov 19, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:54 Nov 20, 2020

So much homework! And you?

Reply

B. W.
01:55 Nov 20, 2020

I dunno im fine, though i guess I'm a bit tired and bored, hows it going with the thing?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
02:52 Nov 22, 2020

That’s not cool! Though I don’t have time to be bored, the closer I get to the end of the semester, the more homework I have! Honestly I haven’t started, I’m sorry I won’t do it this week. I have so many exams and assignments to do, it’s crazy!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:00 Nov 11, 2020

I got another new story out ^^ could ya check out "Sweet revenge" and then leave some feedback?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:58 Nov 12, 2020

I'll check it out as soon as I can!!

Reply

B. W.
02:00 Nov 12, 2020

thanks ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:19 Nov 10, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
23:02 Nov 10, 2020

hey!!

Reply

B. W.
23:21 Nov 10, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:57 Nov 12, 2020

Pretty big week for me but I'm fine, you?

Reply

B. W.
01:59 Nov 12, 2020

eh

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
13:47 Nov 13, 2020

Oh, why?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:55 Nov 08, 2020

I got another new story out ^^ so could ya maybe check out "Otherworldly repairs" and leave some critique/feedback on it?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
21:41 Nov 08, 2020

Will check it out as soon as I can!

Reply

B. W.
21:42 Nov 08, 2020

Alright, thanks ^^ so ya remember that thing that i was asking you to do with the demi-god characters? how is that going if ya don't mind me asking?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
20:47 Nov 09, 2020

Yes, I remember! I started, I'll probably finish it tomorrow (I only have three hours of classes)!

Reply

B. W.
21:07 Nov 09, 2020

Oh yay ^^ thanks for still deciding to do it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:31 Nov 07, 2020

could ya maybe help me with something?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
21:51 Nov 07, 2020

I'll do my best, what it is?

Reply

B. W.
22:10 Nov 07, 2020

well do ya know that alien market type prompt?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
21:38 Nov 08, 2020

Yes, I saw it!

Reply

B. W.
21:40 Nov 08, 2020

well i kinda made a new story a little bit ago ^^ do ya think you could check out "Otherworldly repairs" and then leave some feedback?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
21:43 Nov 08, 2020

Yes I'll check it out as soon as I can!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
01:09 Nov 06, 2020

heyyyy

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
03:05 Nov 06, 2020

Heyyy:)

Reply

B. W.
03:08 Nov 06, 2020

how ya been?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
03:17 Nov 06, 2020

Except for school I’m great! How about you?

Reply

B. W.
03:34 Nov 06, 2020

eh, im kinda half and half

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
18:08 Nov 06, 2020

Ohh why?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:51 Nov 04, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
03:05 Nov 06, 2020

Heyy, so sorry, it’s crazy these days with school, again!!

Reply

B. W.
03:08 Nov 06, 2020

Oh, thats alright ^^ i understand that

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:32 Nov 03, 2020

I made a new story a bit ago :D if its alright, could ya check it out and leave some feedback? "Saving a friend" is the name

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
18:03 Nov 03, 2020

Yes, I'll check it out today!;)

Reply

B. W.
18:03 Nov 03, 2020

yay ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:28 Nov 02, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
18:02 Nov 03, 2020

Heyy!:)

Reply

B. W.
18:03 Nov 03, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
20:43 Nov 03, 2020

Still lot of homework, but great! You?:)

Reply

B. W.
20:47 Nov 03, 2020

I guess im good, im still writing most of my novels at the moment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:32 Oct 29, 2020

I completed one of my novels :D

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:54 Oct 30, 2020

Congrats B! I'm so glad for you, this is really great!:)

Reply

B. W.
02:01 Oct 30, 2020

thanks ^^ if i published it, would ya read it?

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:20 Oct 31, 2020

Of course I would read it!!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:30 Oct 28, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:36 Oct 29, 2020

Hey!!

Reply

B. W.
01:40 Oct 29, 2020

I have some (good?) news ^^ im almost finished with one of my novels, just a few more chapters- maybe about 2 or so, then ill be done :)

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:55 Oct 29, 2020

Wow, that's great! Will you get an editor when you're done writing?:)

Reply

B. W.
02:11 Oct 29, 2020

I aint sure, its just been me the whole time without an editor or anything like that, I'm kinda nervous.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:53 Oct 30, 2020

That's normal, it's your first novel after all! I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.