116 comments

Science Fiction Creative Nonfiction

The alien vessel’s bridge fell silent as Kz’Rrr’s mighty scaled tail thumped the floor repeatedly, its owner lost in thought. 


He tapped the panel twice then addressed his second-in-command: “AND YOU SAY THERE ARE EVEN MORE EXAMPLES THAN ALL OF THOSE?”


Pryr. Jtt was nervous about relaying the scope of his findings at this late stage, but he was otherwise prepared with his remaining data. The fates of them all – as well as the financial legacy of their distant civilization – relied upon him illustrating the issue in such a way that the superior lizard would understand (and agree with) his proposed course of action. 


“Sir, yes, sir!” He replied, and continued the litany from his screen:


***


June, 1942 Submarine attack on Ft. Stevens, Oregon


"Japanese high command ordered submarine I-25 to attack the Pacific Northwest. Sneaking in underneath a fishing fleet, the sub fired between 15 and 20 rounds of its 5.5” gun towards Fort Stevens.


"Casualties: A cratered beach; a compromised baseball field; a minor power failure; and a cut on one soldier’s head, caused in the confusion generated by the attack. There were no casualties."


***


September, 1942 Firebombing of Mt. Emily, Oregon


"A Japanese pilot aboard submarine I-25 launched his seaplane towards Mt. Emily. His directive: cause massive fires via incendiary bombs dropped in the extensive Oregon Coastal forest range. The fires in turn would cause supply, personnel and equipment disruptions to wartime resources across the Western Seaboard.


"Casualties: A crater and a small fire of approximately 75’ in diameter. There were no casualties."


***


November, 1970 Exploding whale in Florence, Oregon


"A sperm whale 45' long and weighing approximately 8 tons washed ashore; the carcass was subsequently blasted with significant amounts of TNT in the hopes of rendering it into small pieces to be carried away by birds and other wildlife. The explosion instead caused the corpse to erupt in a fury of sand and viscera 100' high, arcing down on the horrified onlookers. 


"Casualties: A vehicle near the onlookers was completely crushed by a large chunk of blubber, and spectators were pelted by pieces raining down. There were no casualties."


***


“WAIT!” Tz’Rrr pounded the desk with his meaty scaled hand for effect. “YOU ARE MAKING THAT LAST ONE UP FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT!”


“Sir, no, sir!” Snapped Pryr. Jtt. 


“PROCEED.”


Pryr. Jtt continued his recital:


***


June, 2012 Tsunami hurls Japanese dock directly at Newport, Oregon


"A 66'-long, 180-ton sea dock pummeled Agate Beach just outside of Newport, Oregon. Due to the massive scope of the engineering project required for removal of the dock, it has been left where it stands as a monument to the fury of the sea.


"Reverse-Casualties: While over 100 invasive species clung to the dock and were thus introduced to the state of Oregon, marine biologists were able to quickly neutralize the threat posed by the invaders by killing all adjunct living creatures."


***


A collective gasp went up among those gathered on the bridge at the possibility of their own reverse-casualties.


“So in summary, sir, you can see that this “Oregon” presents possibly the most formidable foe the galaxy has ever seen,” Pryr. Jtt concluded. His efforts not to glance at the slow-blinking button failed. “Repeated aggressions against them have been futile – they've proven indestructible against all terrestrial attacks. Sir, we must act at once if we are to pave the way: we cannot succeed with Oregon in play.”


“WE HAVE AMPLE RESOURCES TO DESTROY THE ENTIRE PLANET,” growled Tz'Rrr, thrashing his tail. He had not anticipated the disruption of his mission to establish a new Black Hole Disco franchise for his home world, and it angered him – particularly since Pryr. Jtt's arguments seemed to have merit.


Tz’Rrr’s orbiting advisor discreetly jetted out of range to remove itself from harm’s way as the giant lizard’s pout increased. As Tz’Rrr idly caressed the blinking button, silence reigned. 


Pryr. Jtt continued after the appropriately deferential pause: “Sir, if you’ll permit me, we simply cannot risk the possibility that Oregon will once again raise its mighty defenses and survive a global attack. If we could but exhaust our single-shot primary weapon directly against this target, instead, we would not destroy the entire world, but we would be able to render its primary defender inert.”


Sensing its opportunity for low-risk toadying at that moment, Tz’Rrr’s advisor quickly spoke up: “M’lord, what the underling claims is true: we cannot fight them if we allow the chance of our firepower being rebuffed. We must strike this Oregon,” its beak curled in a sneer at the mention, “in a direct and concentrated manner. I can see no other way to ensure victory for the construction forces that follow.”


All eyes glanced towards the button at that moment. The flashing light which highlighted the button from inside began to blink rapidly, signaling that there was no more time to waste in a decision – the primary weapon would soon begin to lose its charge and their window of opportunity would close.


All that was needed now was a simple decision: would it be the world, or just Oregon?


“DEATH TO THE DEFENDERS AND MAY OUR HATCHLINGS AVENGE US… FIRE!”


February 04, 2023 06:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

116 comments

Cindy Strube
21:54 Feb 16, 2023

Alien Lizard People v. Oregon! What a fun mix of historical events and sci-fi… I enjoy both independently, and the crossover is fantastic. Very clever and an easy read.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:56 Feb 16, 2023

Thanks very much, Cindy! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
20:13 Feb 16, 2023

Wendy, you are prolific, and talented, and funny, and a hit. Look at all those likes. This was so creative and enjoyable. Good luck in the contest.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:59 Feb 16, 2023

I am a piker compared to writers here such as yourself, so I am humbled by the kind review - especially when I don't even feel competent enough to -comment- on some stories, yours included! Thank you so much, Thom, it's an honor. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
23:49 Feb 16, 2023

(My fingers betray me! Sorry for the misspelling, fixed that!)

Reply

Thom With An H
23:58 Feb 16, 2023

I am such a bad speller that frequently spell check has no suggestions. I envision a disheveled guy looking at my “word”, scratching his head, and saying “I got nothing.”

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:58 Feb 16, 2023

rofl! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
David Drake
21:05 Feb 15, 2023

Throw everything and the kitchen sink as well as exploding sperm whales at Oregon! Lol! That was a treat to read!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:08 Feb 15, 2023

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brad Heald
14:48 Feb 08, 2023

Loved the alien names. Favorite phrase; "low-risk toadying." Favorite incident, oh my, the sperm whale explosion for sure. Love Oregon. Thanks for the fun read.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:50 Feb 08, 2023

hehe :) Thank you, Brad! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
10:39 Feb 08, 2023

I really enjoyed this read. I am definitely checking out the facts about Oregon now. I never realise how indestructible it was. I hope all you people in Oregon survived the space lizard attack! Great story Wendy

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
12:05 Feb 08, 2023

Thanks, Michelle! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
07:57 Feb 08, 2023

Wendy, Great use of vowel-less names. I shall henceforth be known as Chrs from Dld, Strl, Dwn Ndr. Very funny take on the prompt. My money's on the undefeated Oregon surviving the attack. No casualties but reports of an alien ship being struck by a reflective ray that bounced off an Oregonian solar farm, were dismissed as a wayward Chinese weather balloon filled with Lizards on their way to re-populate Easter Island. Nicely done!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
12:04 Feb 08, 2023

Thnks Chrs! :) haha Seriously, though, thank you for taking the time to read and leave such an encouraging comment - much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roger Scypion
05:07 Feb 08, 2023

Fantastic story! Captures the imagination with well blended fact and fiction! Kudos again and again, and again...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
05:11 Feb 08, 2023

Thank you! I wasn’t sure about this one, so I appreciate the encouragement! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Benjamin Gibbs
03:58 Feb 07, 2023

"...would it be the world, or just Oregon?" Hahahahahahahahaha😂😂😂

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:16 Feb 07, 2023

lol Glad you got a laugh out of it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
19:01 Feb 05, 2023

“The alien vessel’s bridge fell silent as Kz’Rrr’s mighty scaled tail thumped the floor repeatedly, its owner lost in thought.” 🤣🤣🤣🤣⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ THAT’S a tutorial on grabbing the reader, and captures the satirical humor and folly of what’s to come. The whole concept of the story is so apropos to the kind of contemporary logic we apply to handling crises and making war! And you are so adept at making gold of historical morsels!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
19:04 Feb 05, 2023

LOL Thank you, Martin! Very flattered, coming from a fantastic content creator such as yourself! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Russell Mickler
15:03 Feb 05, 2023

Gaaaahhh! I live here, nooooo …! damn space lizards … what did we do to them? Very Douglas Adams-ish… I like how you try to use tidbits of fact in your stories. I think you run into a list problem where the list of facts overwhelms the story you’re trying to tell. I feel the trick for you is how to synthesize the info into the story and inform your reader at the same time, to keep us in the story and setting without reading the Wikipedia-like blurbs. Always good to read your work, Wendy :) R

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
19:16 Feb 05, 2023

Fixed, a little! I cut out one and cut some more down. Thank you for the assist, Russell - appreciate it, as always! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeanne Kiesinger
23:49 Feb 04, 2023

I love the little known history. Really good work. I'm not a sci-fyer by any means- but I do love a good Rod Serling.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:50 Feb 04, 2023

Me, too! :) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
23:21 Feb 04, 2023

Nicely done. The history mixed in with sci-fi worked well here. Love the take on the prompt. Tz' Rrr pushed the button, we know he chose Oregon as the title tells us so (as told to me by a good friend in confidence). Lovely Oregon, bye-bye. That's funny! LF6

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:38 Feb 04, 2023

hehehe :) I had fun with it! I hated these prompts at first but apparently they're growing on me... :) Thanks, Lily!

Reply

Lily Finch
23:57 Feb 04, 2023

Me too. I thought I was going to hard pass these suckers. But turns out that wasn't the case. I surprised myself. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
00:40 Feb 23, 2023

This is a brilliant story. Hilarious too. I just breezed through this thing like I was reading a menu. Except for the third paragraph. I would jettison the third paragraph. Or take a Samurai sword and slice it in half. It drips with explanatory dross. (Whatever that is. Honestly, I don't know what dross is, I'm not looking it up either. Okay I looked it up. Sticking with dross. I was afraid it might be spun gold or priceless pearls from Paraguay. That would be awkward, wouldn't it?) Every thing else about this story is fun, interesting, an...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:42 Feb 23, 2023

Thank you so much, Ken! Also, thank you very much for the ideas about making this hum along a little better. I agree that paragraph was a drag, but I didn’t know how to work it in otherwise. Perhaps splitting it would’ve been better. Thank you for passing along that nugget of wisdom about the first paragraph! I had heard also that you can almost always delete the very last sentence of your story because people always tend to go just a little bit too far. I have found that true a couple of times! Thanks again for reading and for the lovely an...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
05:19 Feb 18, 2023

Great story once more, Wendy.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
05:25 Feb 18, 2023

Thanks for your kind comment, LM! :)

Reply

L M
05:28 Feb 18, 2023

Youre welcome wendy. I alwayys enjoy your stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
00:31 Feb 17, 2023

An awesome, funny, and incredibly inventive approach to the prompt. I know for sure now I will end up reading all your entries and probably recycling the same adjectives throughout. Sorry about that, but my vocabulary might be too limited...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:33 Feb 17, 2023

Mine, too! :) I have to keep a Thesaurus.com tab open at all times, including for comments! *grin* Thanks again, KV, really appreciate you taking the time to read and leave such encouraging comments! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
21:26 Feb 14, 2023

Those Oregon-ites, they are a bit 'defensive' I want the Black Hole Disco! I bet Kz’Rrr and friends now how to get down!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:31 Feb 14, 2023

LOL That was terrible - I loved it. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
17:26 Feb 14, 2023

Hey Wendy! This one was an interesting one. I love the way you played with the idea of humans being the cockroaches of the galaxy-you can’t kill us and also if you see one, twenty more are hiding. I loved the way you made this piece about Oregon and I found myself aghast at the reports while chuckling quietly. I really enjoyed the way you formatted the piece and thought the way your characters embodied the general idea we already have about the military, while being alien both literally and metaphorically, was really interesting. Nice job!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:27 Feb 14, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read, and for the lovely and encouraging compliments, Amanda! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
11:13 Feb 14, 2023

An interstellar 'zilla....excellent! Great research....I remember the exploding whale fiasco....a literal blast from the past...well done! RG

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:09 Feb 14, 2023

Thanks, Richard! I am a big Godzilla fan, so you probably nailed exactly where that particular idea came from, now that I think about it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keith Maynard Jr
00:55 Feb 14, 2023

Another banger. My own gripe is with the use of Casualties. I would have found it better to have it - Damage: Casualties: This format would have been a little better so that Casualties only has 'none' for the most part. The fact that the lizards are scared of Oregon is a hoot. I would think they have superior armaments but they seem overly cautious lol. That strike will probably have the commander upset since they probably wiped Oregon off the map and that could have been the world. A great story as always.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:58 Feb 14, 2023

Thanks, Keith! That is a really good suggestion, I appreciate it: I struggled with making that portion make sense, and you have nailed exactly how I should have done it. Too late to change it once the contest is out, but in case I ever need that format again, at least I'll have a better grasp on it! Thanks for the read and the review! :)

Reply

Keith Maynard Jr
03:37 Feb 14, 2023

You're welcome. This week's topic though will be funny because the Dragon topic is probably the one, most will write on. How about we have some fun, you randomly pick any number and we both write on that topic for next week's selection (the selection will be based on how the topics are listed in the email from Reedsy). FYI I am writing on the dragon though my pick is random.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:47 Feb 14, 2023

I did Dragon too - it's in my profile already. It was a lotta fun! :D And sure, let's do #4 next week! I will put it up, but if I hate it, no promises that it'll stay up. I have a bad habit of deleting my stories I end up not gelling with, lol.

Reply

Keith Maynard Jr
11:09 Feb 14, 2023

Nice, if I don't like a story I don't post it. I just choose another topic and try and write that, although that is only true for my first story here. The others, whether good or bad if they meet the length requirement I will post. It's all about improving. My dragon tale is still in its infancy.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:31 Feb 17, 2023

List of prompts just arrived via email - LOL I hope you like math! Write a story that formally utilizes a mathematical sequence; e.g., the Fibonacci sequence could determine the number of words in each paragraph, or start with a number and work backwards. Make sure the formula is made clear, either within the story, or before or after it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lorenzo Fusini
21:27 Feb 13, 2023

Haha cool and fun stuff! I laughed when the boss interrupted the report, because yeah, the first time I heard of the exploded whale I reacted the same way!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:30 Feb 13, 2023

I first read about it when Dave Barry still had his column. I could not stop laughing… course most of his stuff did me that way. :D Hey, welcome to Reedsy! I see there’s something by you to read. I am on my way. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.