Contest #69 shortlist ⭐️

97 comments

Romance Creative Nonfiction American

1. Backpfeifengesicht | noun | (German) ‘A face that begs to be slapped.’ 

My uncle married a woman when I was three. Her name was Katharine and she had golden threads for hair and a voice like the tinkling notes of a piano. Coming from a long line of Germans, she could be sweet and sugary or tight-lipped and harsh. She chose me and my older cousin to be the flower girl and ring bearer, giving us a basket full of creamy white rose petals and two silver rings with the instruction not to lose them. 

Now I was only three and there are things I forgot, but what I do remember is my dress. I still have it. It hung in my closet and was silky. The collar was lined with cheap pearls. Fake ones, I mean. I’d tug at them whenever she came near. She’d touch my hair and tuck it behind my ears in a motherly way, laughing when the wisps flew into her face. She had dimples and that’s what I remember. 

Somebody in my family, my father perhaps, had a bet with my grandmother. He said I’d have a new cousin from them in a year. My grandmother shook her head. The conversation was at Thanksgiving dinner and Katharine could be listening. She knew the ways of the world and where the sun would set and the direction of his little apartment in the big city. She knew it wasn’t to last. 

And she was right. 


2. Fernweh | noun | (German) ‘The feeling of homesickness for a place you’ve never been to.’ 

When I was four they moved into a house. A small one where they could bathe in the sunlight and laugh and drink healthy smoothies. One in a nice neighborhood with neighbors that would bring over pie and talk about the paintings on their shaken walls. 

I never visited this place but they told me about it and kissed my cheeks. They said I could visit someday when the dahlia flowers bloomed. I let out a breath and thought about my grandmother and her predictions. The dahlia flowers couldn’t bloom soon enough. 

Dahlia flowers and their delicate little petals were what I thought about when my mother broke the news to me. “Your aunt and uncle—they’re splitting up.” I was five then. My mother ran her hands along her dress and shouted to the trees about her worries. She was worried for her brother and his first heartache. 

What really happened was told to me when I was nine. Four years later. I whispered to my siblings and held their baby-soft hands. Katharine wanted a break and my uncle wouldn’t take one. He wanted to settle down, have children. She wanted other men. I didn’t understand at the time but I do now. 

I think about what their house would be like all the time. They had to sell it during the divorce and I kept imagining it with a garden and a chicken coop by the front door. My uncle would sway on the rocking chair out on the porch, teasing me about how much I cried when I was a baby. Katharine would smile, wiping her hands on her apron, and we’d know she wasn’t happy. Happiness for her was scarce but we didn’t care. 


3. Erbsenzähler | noun | (German) ‘Someone who is obsessed with details and a bit of a control freak.’ 

That same year that I found out, when I was nine, my uncle found another woman. Her name was Apryl and she was skinny like the twigs on the spring forest floor. She worked for the government and was also German, but only distantly. She wasn’t pretty and would smile all the time like it was her default setting. Her hair was tied in a bun when I met her. A brown, messy bun. Hairs flew into her face like flies but she didn’t push them away. Apryl liked pain and I didn’t know why. 

My uncle proposed to her. He had moved to Phoenix, Arizona to get away from the yellow buses and black-framed portraits. He met her on a dating website, that kind where there are no profile pictures and everyone is a mystery. When he visited for Thanksgiving he showed me his computer and I saw the tab where his life crashed down in waves. 

I could imagine him on one knee. Would Apryl’s smile be wider? My grandmother didn’t trust her and when Apryl hugged me I could see the reason. Her hugs were breath-stealing and she grabbed fistfuls of the back of my shirt.

 “I’ll be your auntie someday,” she muttered in my ear. I hoped it wouldn’t be true. 

They bought an apartment together. I wanted to think it was a sign but I wasn’t big on semiotics. My uncle never told me about this one but when I called he stared into his phone and choked out some words he didn’t mean. Perhaps that’s when I knew then it was a sign. 


4. Schadenfreude | noun | (German) ‘The feeling of enjoyment that comes from seeing or hearing about the troubles of other people.’

She started acting weird in March. Or at least that’s what my mother told me. They were renovating their apartment to make it a little more modern. Apryl and my uncle had different styles and disagreed a lot. At this point in the story my siblings looked at each other and frowned in the guilty way only they could. 

Anyways, my uncle wanted to break off the deal. It wasn’t about the apartment, I don’t think. But what would I know, I was only ten and biting my nails until they bled. Apryl tried reasoning with him—they were trying to live around the builders and in the middle of a six-month project. But my uncle wouldn’t see her. 

She called him, one day. He was at work and she was at home. Her voice was collected, he told me. But she said she’d kill herself if he called off the engagement. She said she had a knife in between her long fingers and that she was ready. 

My uncle was in a position that my mother cried about. He didn’t break off the engagement and came home immediately. He found help. He called my grandmother and the police. They took her to a facility. We never heard from her again. 

My grandmother had pursed lips when we told her about it. She stretched her hands to the ceiling and then slammed them down onto the counter. She sang of heartbreak. My uncle, on the other hand, sat on the couch. He twisted the lamp until it glowed with light. It was the middle of the night but he visited that dating website again. I tried calling him in the morning but he didn’t pick up. 


5. Kummerspeck | noun | (German) ‘Excess weight gained from emotional overeating.’ 

My uncle picked up and moved to Seattle, Washington. By the water. I thought it would be a good opportunity for him to leave Apryl behind and see the city lights and listen to some rock songs. But he called my mother and told her that someone had just corrected him about the fact that Seattle wasn’t beside the sea. His voice was barely a whisper and so I worried. 

He called my grandmother a week later. My uncle found a new woman on the dating website. I smiled at my siblings and weaved my hands into their hair. Deep down I knew something would go wrong but for the moment he had a distraction. 

I was the one who was wrong. I was barely twelve when I heard about their wedding. She wasn’t a distraction and her name was Meredith. She was German and I was sensing a pattern. But more German than the others; her parents lived in Germany. 

I met her, once, before their wedding. She was broad-shouldered and her glare could kill a rabbit. Her hair was dyed blond and you could see her very straight cheekbones from behind it. I asked if I could call her ‘Auntie Mere’ but she bit the inside of her cheek and complained to my uncle about children. 

Their wedding was a winter one. Meredith wore a white fur coat and a silver crown atop her head. She showed me her diamond ring, once. It had three levels and was an inch high. Her family was rich and mine wasn’t. My uncle had asked my grandmother for some money, but she declined. She said she’d spent all her savings on Katharine. My uncle didn’t say another word. 


6. Pantoffelheld | noun | (German) ‘A man who may act tough in front of his friends but can’t stand up for himself against his wife.’ 

Meredith was to stay. She wasn’t the first woman at our Thanksgiving table of my uncle’s but she was the last. My grandmother grumbled when she asked to sit at the head of the table. It was my grandmother’s usual spot but she gave it up. 

I asked my new aunt about her work. She rubbed her hands under the table and talked about fortune tellers at the boardwalk. She also said she was going back to school to get a Master’s in economics. 

There were turkey decorations by the cracked windows of my grandmother’s house. Silverware was clinking and Meredith’s eyes were searching all of us. She commented on the decorations and the soda with her head on my uncle’s shoulder. 

My mother brought up the fact that Meredith and my uncle hadn’t seen our new house yet. It was a shame that they were leaving the next day and that there was no time. My uncle picked at something in his teeth and said a few words about how thankful he was for Seattle and Meredith. In that order. 

Then he proposed staying an extra day to see his sister’s new house. I kept my head down, which was a smart decision, because Meredith grit her teeth together. 

“No. We leave tonight. It’s final.” She had dropped her fork and was curling a finger into her hair. 

My uncle tried to reason with her. After they left, my grandmother called him and said they should have a divorce. My uncle was furious and claimed that he loved her. 

Well Meredith, she’s still here. My uncle’s words, still a lie. My uncle, still by the sea. 

November 27, 2020 00:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

97 comments

N. N.
07:51 Nov 27, 2020

You're stories really have a tonne of quality and emotions tucked into words, phrased sharply, and this one is no exception. It holds a wonderful premise, of the contrasting, yet similar, distinguished features of each woman, and suits the prompt perfectly. I've got no specific critique this time, except that the story was wonderful! Glad to know that you're getting back to yourself, Scout! Keep loving your stories, they're crazy good. P.s. I'm off to go learn German now. These words are rather interesting, though I've no clue how to ev...

Reply

Scout Tahoe
14:29 Nov 27, 2020

Haha, thank you so much. I’m glad you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing. I don’t know German at all but you should totally learn it. ;)

Reply

N. N.
11:18 Dec 07, 2020

Of course! And I'm glad you're back to enjoying your works :) Funny that; I was planning to learn German, but I may have been preoccupied :/ Oh well, I guess I might learn it after Christmas. Anyways, a big congratulations on your shortlist!!! Two shortlists! I bet the next one's a win. (Sorry for replying so late, I missed out this among my other notifications)

Reply

Scout Tahoe
14:31 Dec 07, 2020

German is hard, I've heard, but you should always try. Thank you! Haha, doubt it. (Totally okay!)

Reply

N. N.
18:12 Dec 07, 2020

So I've heard too. But, you know, for the sake of crossing it off my to-learn languages, I'll give it a go. Sure thing! Hey, don't underestimate yourself (or your stories). Why don't you challenge yourself to create a winning story? Maybe then, you'll win. ;)

Reply

Scout Tahoe
19:30 Dec 07, 2020

A winning story? Oh, do you mean one that’s like previous winning stories? I doubt it’ll win and I’d rather keep writing ones that I like, if you know what I mean.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
03:00 Nov 27, 2020

Lovely! Especially the addition if german words. You certainly have a way with words.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
04:30 Nov 27, 2020

Thanks. :)

Reply

Sia S
06:36 Nov 27, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avani G
01:04 Nov 27, 2020

Scout, I loved this. I love the incorporation of the German words, too. I expect a Shortlist soon.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:52 Nov 27, 2020

Thank you, so glad you like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Alexander
20:41 Jan 03, 2021

This is like a top ten list, but with a wicked German twist. I've learned a number of things today, mostly Germans words, used to highlight character defects in others, and possibly uttered to accuse and dismiss, but very relatable. You write descriptive, intriguing prose. Well done.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
20:42 Jan 03, 2021

Thank you. I had so much fun learning about them myself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elizabeth Inkim
03:51 Dec 08, 2020

Fantastic story, congratulations on being shortlisted, you deserved it! The duel languages aspect was amazing. What's your secret?

Reply

Scout Tahoe
04:20 Dec 08, 2020

Thank you! My secret? This story was true and I like untranslatable words. ;)

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
12:30 Dec 08, 2020

Ofocuse, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Your writing just works so well, it gives me hope that one day I can sharpen my writing enough to win, or get shortlisted. Both seem outrageously cool to me.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
14:33 Dec 08, 2020

"Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction." No truer words. Believe it or not, that's exactly what I said, I wanted to win. I joined Reedsy in February and didn't write until months later. But if you read my first or second story and remind yourself that this girl wanted to win, you'll laugh. By the way I usually don't want people to read my first story because it's so nasty. ;)

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
14:49 Dec 08, 2020

I respect that, for me I think that people have to make a few mistakes and go down a couple of wrong directions before they make it. What do think?

Reply

Scout Tahoe
14:53 Dec 08, 2020

I think you're right. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
22:14 Dec 04, 2020

YESSSS shortlist. Congrats, Scout!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
23:44 Dec 04, 2020

Thank you. I'm blushing. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
23:52 Nov 29, 2020

The Germans have the best words, don't they? I searched "Pantoffelheld" and got "slipper hero" and "henpecked" so I guess that fits. I love this tale of family, leaving and coming, never the same but mostly loving. I love the last line, too. I was looking through a very old church directory that belonged to my grandparents and found a girl named "Apryle" and I was trying to pronounce it like Apple. Reading this made me realize it's supposed to be April. Thanks :) It could be me being the opposite of an erbsenzähler, but I can't find anyt...

Reply

Scout Tahoe
00:34 Nov 30, 2020

Thank you so much, Zilla. I'm so glad it worked. It's a true story, believe it or not. Apryle is a very interesting name. I like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.