Contest #248 shortlist ⭐️

Desperate Remedies

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'Desperate Remedies'.... view prompt

64 comments

Drama Contemporary Lesbian

Was she taunting me? 

I was jolted awake by a strange sound — pee-pee-paw, pee-pee-pee-paw. It drilled into my skull, causing shockwaves, though that might also have been the alcohol. I forced my eyelids open a fraction, afraid to face the light. It having been New Year’s Eve, I at least had an excuse for a change. For the first time in five years, I greeted the new year alone. 

What kind of new bird could this be? I went outside to look for the source of my annoyance. A female tui. I could tell because of the size and plumage. Strange. She wasn’t making typical tui noises. They sound more like aliens. Should be quork-quork, grrr-rruk-rruk-rruk.

Pee-pee-paw, pee-pee-pee-paw

“Hey, you! Stop that!”

To distract myself, I opened Instagram. The first post in my feed was Katya’s — thanks, universe. On the photo she stood on a hill overlooking a cliff, the majestic ocean in the background. She smiled with radiance, and her eyes shone. The post read: This past year was a difficult one, I’m not gonna lie. But I was finally brave enough to put myself first and it has already reaped rewards. I have never felt so free and so safe in my life. Here’s to a new year full of more incredible experiences and people to light up my life!

Pee-pee-paw, pee-pee-pee-paw

She repeated the one tune in her repertoire with glee every five minutes. Was she showing off? I ignored it at first, but by the end of the day I felt myself spiralling into madness. There was nowhere to hide — closing the windows didn’t block out the sound, and besides, it made it too stuffy in the house. 

She was ruining my life. It may sound like I’m exaggerating, but honestly, I couldn’t concentrate on anything. Every time I would sit down to do some work, watch television, or take a nap, I would hear her annoying song ringing out in the yard. My only respite was going out, but I couldn’t do that all the time. I had a right to spend time in my own home without being harassed, surely?

I messaged Katya for ideas, but she didn’t reply. What, or who, was she so busy with? 

Pee-pee-paw, pee-pee-pee-paw.

With Katya not helping, I ventured online, but most articles were about how to attract rather than deter birds. I did find one useful Facebook post, so tried out some of their remedies. First, I attempted to scare it away by pulling branches near it, hoping the disturbance would drive it off. But she was unfazed, her call as loud as ever. 

I checked my phone, but didn’t have any new notifications. 

Pee-pee-paw, pee-pee-pee-paw.

Plan B was going to Bunnings to get a non-toxic, bitter-tasting substance. On my way to the car I met my neighbour, Phil. 

“Lovely day, isn’t it?” he said. 

“Mmm,” I replied. “Hey, do you know why this tui is making such strange noises?”

“Eh?”

“The tui, it sounds different, and it won’t stop. It’s new here.”

He just stared at me like I was speaking in a foreign language, and after a pause, shook his head. Had he not noticed? How could it possibly not bother him? 

“Ok, well, I’m off, see you,” I said and got in the car. 

I got what I needed from Bunnings and sprayed it on one of her favourite berry trees. It seemed to work at first, but then she merely went higher up, where I couldn’t reach. This tree was Katya’s favourite as well; she used to sit under it to read all the time.  

As if I had summoned her with this thought, my phone lit up with a notification. She replied at last. 

Tracy. Stop messaging me with every little thing. We’re no longer together. Get a grip and leave me alone!

Pee-pee-paw, pee-pee-pee-paw.

That’s rude. Didn’t she say we could still be friends? Anyway, I had bigger problems. My next idea was putting reflective things around the yard, hoping it would scare her off, but that didn’t work either. She seemed to like it, actually, and fluttered and sang with even more gaiety. A party bird, really?

I opened Instagram and checked to see if Katya had any stories. She did. There were a few pictures of graffiti, buildings, and the waterfront, but the last one was what disturbed me. She was with a woman I didn’t know, and a heart emoji had been added. Who the hell was that? How could she move on so quickly? 

I threw a rock at the bird in frustration, then sank down on my knees and screamed, tears forming in my eyes. 

Pee-pee-paw, pee-pee-pee-paw.

Desperate times called for desperate measures. I had to return to Bunnings to get a chainsaw and get rid of the tree for good. It was the only way. 


***


We had been fighting more than usual, but I didn’t see the end coming at all. She must have thought it over for some time. She came into my study one night. I remember how happy I felt at that moment, oblivious of what was to come. 

“Tracy, can we talk?”

I swivelled around in my chair. “Sure, what’s up?”

“I can’t do it anymore.”

“Do what? Do you need help with something?”

She smirked. “No. This. Us. I can’t do it anymore. I’m not happy.”

My heart started racing and my thoughts spiralled. What had I done wrong? Surely it must be fixable. This cannot be happening. I don’t want to be on my own. We’ve had fights before where we ‘broke up’, only to get back together again an hour or so later. But this felt different. The surreal quality of the moment – its calm unchaotic nature – underscored its seriousness. It was clear that she had thought about it deeply and made a deliberate, calculated decision. One that I likely couldn’t change.  

“But why?” I finally stammered. 

She sighed deeply. “The fact you even need to ask is the reason.” 

“What do you mean?” I strained to hold back my tears. 

“Tracy, you have so many mental issues. And I know it’s not your fault, but you refuse to do anything about it, to get the help you need. And that is your fault. It’s just too hard, I can’t deal with it anymore. It’s not fair. I’m no longer happy, I don’t feel free.”


***


I decided against getting a chainsaw. I saw in my mind’s eye how I would fumble with the tool, likely losing a finger or more in the process. I’ve always been rather clumsy. No matter how much I wanted to get rid of this bird, the desire to keep all my limbs was stronger, if only just. And besides, I didn’t want to destroy the tree, her favourite, and one that provided so much food and shelter to the birds. 

Instead, I sat in the garden, watching the tui hop from branch to branch, indulging in her favourite snacks. Despite everything, she was only a bird after all, doing what birds do. She just happened to be a very annoying one. I had tried every possible way to silence her, but in the end, I realised it was I who needed to change, not her. 

I started seeing Anna, a therapist my friend recommended. She helped me sort through my obsessions and compulsions, much of it more persistent and unsettling than any bird could ever be. Session by session, the weight I carried began to lighten. I started checking Katya’s Instagram less and less, and didn’t let myself get quite as riled up by each pee-pee-paw. In fact, the bird’s song had woven itself into my daily existence. 

Then, one day I realised I didn’t hear the rogue tui anymore. In her place there was nothing but a thunderous silence. I scanned the branches, expecting her to reappear and resume her song, but she didn’t. I waited for days for her to come back, but she never did. 

In the silence, I was surprised to find myself missing her. She had, without intending to and without me realising it, kept me company through my toughest period. She had been there, a constant presence as I wrestled with my thoughts and my heartache. And now, with both her and Katya gone, the silence felt heavy. 

Why did she leave me?

But I was different now. The emptiness was something I could face. I was learning to appreciate the quiet, to sit with my thoughts without being overrun by them. I went up to the tree, tracing the empty branches where the tui once sang. My heart still ached, but it no longer overwhelmed me. I had a strong urge to message Katya, to tell her I’ve been going to therapy, ask if we could try again. But I knew that would be a mistake, and surprisingly, was managing to resist. 

With a deep breath, I rose from the lawn and went inside, my shadow long and solitary in the fading light. I opened my laptop, not to spy on Katya’s social life but to write. I typed out everything — my feelings, my growth, and my setbacks. On the screen, words flowed like a quiet stream, not for the world but for me. 

Perhaps, the end of one song was simply the beginning of another?

April 28, 2024 10:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

64 comments

Graham Kinross
23:15 May 14, 2024

Art imitates life? Taking a broken heart and turning it into art? Congratulations on being shortlisted.

Reply

23:34 May 14, 2024

Thank you, Graham! Luckily everything except for the bird was made up :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:54 May 15, 2024

And the writing?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
03:17 May 13, 2024

Fine work. Congrats. At times, it pays to face forward.

Reply

03:39 May 13, 2024

Thank you, Philip.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
04:31 May 11, 2024

I appreciated your theme. For a contest based on a title, your last line was amazing. 'Perhaps, the end of one song was simply the beginning of another?'

Reply

06:38 May 11, 2024

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
22:18 May 10, 2024

Congratulations on the shortlist!! Your story has a powerful message and I enjoyed reading it! Great job!

Reply

22:51 May 10, 2024

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
16:50 May 10, 2024

Congratulations! A very deep and well written story. Skillful with well developed characters.

Reply

21:15 May 10, 2024

Thank you very much! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
16:33 May 10, 2024

Congrats on the very well earned short list!

Reply

21:26 May 10, 2024

Thank you 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:51 May 10, 2024

Congratulations Melissa 🥳

Reply

21:14 May 10, 2024

Thank you! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Wexel
14:31 May 10, 2024

I love the symbolism in this story , and I love how you used a bird to show it .

Reply

21:14 May 10, 2024

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cara Fidler
18:50 May 08, 2024

Well done. I enjoyed this story; an interesting tale you wove there.

Reply

20:25 May 08, 2024

Thank you, so glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Stevens
15:38 May 08, 2024

So, you're a New Zealander! I learned this from "tui." What a beautiful bird, and a beautifully told, spiritual story.

Reply

20:26 May 08, 2024

Thank you! Yes, they are truly special birds.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jahson Clarke
05:53 May 08, 2024

What a beautiful piece. I was engaged the entire time.

Reply

07:40 May 08, 2024

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed it ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kay Reed
03:45 May 08, 2024

Hi Melissa- fantastic work on this story! I think you handled the mental illness material so well - a lot of stories I read of this nature always seem to have a character devolving and/or breaking from reality, and I love how you flipped the script and had your character evolve, grow, and seek help instead. Love to have this kind of representation out there! Well done.

Reply

04:35 May 08, 2024

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment! I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed my story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
18:04 May 07, 2024

Enjoyed the parallel of the tui and the narrator's past relationship, much left unsaid there but one can fill in the blanks. Held my attention throughout.

Reply

19:52 May 07, 2024

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
02:41 May 06, 2024

Nicely done. I liked the comments on seeking mental health treatment. To paraphrase, "It's not your fault but it is your responsibiliy". Very true. Great story and well written. Looking forward to more.

Reply

02:42 May 06, 2024

Thank you so much, that means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Pampu
00:50 May 05, 2024

Oh, how I loved this story! I can relate to it on several levels. Well done.

Reply

01:13 May 05, 2024

Thank you so much! Glad you liked it and could relate.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
23:43 May 04, 2024

I like that that MC could grow and make a happier ending (or simply a beginning?...) for herself. Hello from a fellow economist and thanks for the like and follow! :)

Reply

23:55 May 04, 2024

Thank you, Martha! Great to meet another economist here :) I look forward to reading more of your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
15:09 May 04, 2024

Oh, I really like this... And we need more!

Reply

21:52 May 04, 2024

Thanks, Kendall! Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Kulak
18:15 May 02, 2024

Really beautiful. I like the tui as metaphor for Katya.

Reply

18:26 May 02, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:29 May 01, 2024

We have to learn to live with ourselves before we can share it with another. Beautifully written. You have captured the hyperfocus on the annoying of a depressed person perfectly. There are ways to tighten up the writing and I'll give you a few examples. Think of it this way. We should try to write sentences with as many meaningful words and get rid of as many connectors, what they call glue (words use to stick other words together but that bog us down when reading.) Jettison as many repeats, adjectives and adverbs as you can. Especially re...

Reply

01:32 May 01, 2024

Kaitlyn, wow, thank you so much for taking the time to read my story so thoroughly and give me such good advice! I really appreciate it. It's so valuable. I'm going to go through my whole story again and try to sharpen it up. Thanks so much!! And yes, you're right about the lack of double glazing. So common here in NZ that I didn't even think of mentioning it... and if you're renting, it's not something you have the power of changing. There's no way to block out any sounds where we live. This bird is based on a true story, haha (minus the b...

Reply

20:17 May 10, 2024

And now I can say, congratulations!!! Despite the suggestions which I'm so happy you appreciated, It was so real to life. Captured the setting of your story and what your MC was going through. so well.

Reply

21:12 May 10, 2024

Thanks! :) And thanks again to you - you helped make the story much better than it was.

Reply

03:20 May 11, 2024

Thanks, we'll never know if a few tweaks did the trick for your story to be shortlisted and then end up in the few chosen. Well done you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:49 Apr 30, 2024

I love this story Melissa - it shows how tenacity can positively and negatively impact the human spirit, and I am glad your character had an awakening through self love. Well done!

Reply

20:43 Apr 30, 2024

Thank you very much, Natalie! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.