8 comments

Fantasy Romance Funny

This story contains sensitive content

CW: mentions of date rape

“Here you go, sis. S’later.”

Julian pulled over and stopped at the café where Shelby worked.

“Aurora’s my friend, Jules. Get real. We could hang out. Get acquainted. See if you like her.”

“I’m already in love with her, Shel.”

She grinned. “So, you love her cute little mole…?”

He gasped. “Wait. She has a mole? Like a pet?”

Selby stared in disbelief. “No idiot. She has a whole flock of them. On a ranch up north.”

“What?”

“On her lip. The mole on her lip. A beauty mark. I don’t believe you.”

~

Julian followed Shelby in. He watched Aurora for a few minutes before approaching the counter.

She was the most beautiful woman Julian had ever seen. Why is she serving coffee? She could be a model. A princess. Or a goddess. But then he couldn’t be with her.

Aurora smiled when he stepped up. “What would you like? Julian, right? Shelby’s brother?” She’d known him only by sight since she started working there several months ago.

She knows my name?’ Julian said, “Yes, uhm… A black coffee, and drinks after work?”

“What?”

Julian regrouped. “When are you available? Yes, I’m Shelby’s brother. You want to hang out?”

They both looked to Shelby for support. Not wanting to board the train wreck, she nodded imperceptibly.

Aurora said, “Sure. I guess. I’m off at five.”

“Great! I’ll pick you up.”

Julian took his coffee to go. Walking about, he noticed a store with a colorful window display. The sign read, ‘Curandero Mayor.’ Curious, he went in.

The small shop over-flowed with religious statues, amulets, candles and incense. A large poster of the Virgin of Guadalupe dominated the back wall. Images of saints and demigods covered the walls. Multicolored vials advertised as ‘cures’ and ‘potions’ filled one display. Julian picked up a bright red one with a label reading, ‘Amor Fuerza.’

The proprietor sat reading a Spanish language newspaper. His mustache twitched as he looked up.

Julian held up the little bottle. “Does it work?”

The shop keeper scoffed. “Of course. Nothing phony here.” He pointed to his eye. “Cuidado… be careful.”

“How…? What do I do…?”

“A few drops. Just a few. Be sure of who you give. Mui powerful. Not a toy.”

Julian bought the potion.

Realizing the time, he ran to the café and entered just as Aurora emerged from the back.

She asked, “Where to?”

“I know a great place.”

While driving, Julian barely spoke. Aurora’s sitting beside him stole his breath and fogged his brain. She watched him smile nervously.

Bewildered at his shyness, she thought ‘Eager as a puppy. And just as articulate.’ Never lacking for attention, she found many men too aggressive. Julian’s naiveté disarmed her.

As they walked to ‘Burns,’ his favorite steak house, Julian checked for the potion. ‘All set…’

They entered the cavernous dining hall. Dark wooden tables matched the roughhewn beams. Wide-screen TVs displayed multiple sports events.

Aurora thought, ‘Rustic…

The hostess seated them and slid menus onto the table.

Julian said, “You’ve got to try their pomegranate martini.” She looked curious. “It’s to die for…”

“But I don’t want to die…”

Julian stopped. “Right… Figure of speech. Right?”

“Of course. But still…”

“The waiter is taking forever. I’ll get our drinks.” Julian bolted from the table.

Aurora said, “No rush…” to an empty chair.

Julian paid for the matching martinis. They glowed pink.

He glanced around to ensure no one watched. Pulling the vial from his pocket, he dribbled a few drops into one martini. The red liquid blossomed. He jostled the swizzle stick. 

Aurora smiled as he approached. “Beautiful! If it tastes as good as it looks…”

He set her martini down and took his seat. Julian raised his glass.

“To the most beautiful woman in the world…”

“Thank you…”

They touched glasses.

A voice called out. “Wait! Don’t drink that!”

The manager and a bouncer approached them. Aurora set her drink down.

Julian said, “What?”

The manager spoke to Aurora, “Tiny saw him put something in your drink. Have you heard of ‘roofies’? The date rape drug?”

They looked at Julian.

“Wait. No. I would never…”

Aurora said, “Is my drink redder?”

“The bartender. Too much pomegranate… Look. I love you. I wouldn’t… Here…” He switched their glasses. “You don’t believe me?”

He downed her martini. His eyes bulged, but he kept it down.

“You’ll see. No bad effects. I’d never hurt you, Auror…” Julian gasped. He nudged his martini toward her. “You want this?”

Aurora shook her head. “I’m good.”

Julian looked at the men. “Satisfied? You can go.”

Tiny said, “We’re here, if you need us.”

She nodded. Julian said, “Tell our waiter we’re ready to order…”

The men withdrew.

Aurora leaned in. “Julian, what was that about? You okay?”

“Yeah. Sure… Aurora, I couldn’t let you think… I would never…”

“I believe you. Or maybe you’re very thirsty…?” They laughed.

The waitress came. Aurora ordered a salad. “And a coffee for my friend.”

Babbling, Julian settled on a baked potato.

The waitress left.

Aurora said, “Are people crazy? You’d think we were in the Dark Ages. Slipping stuff into people’s drinks?” She put nose in the air. “Is there a Medici in the house?”

“Uhm…”

“My Aunt Ava got caught up in that nonsense. I was a kid. She spent a fortune with a curandero. Always controlling. She went out so much, Uncle Ferdie feared she was having an affair.”

“Wow.”

“They worked it out. Ferdie convinced her she’d never know if it was love, or the potion. It’d never end.”

Julian nodded. “Crazy…”

“Ava meddled in everyone’s life. Burning sage, tying amulets to doors. Slipping them potions. Hexes. People did whatever. But Ava wanted control.”

“Control freaks drive themselves nuts.”

“Exactly. What if I put a potion in your drink? Would that build trust?”

“I don’t think so.” Julian sipped the second martini. “Do you mind?”

Aurora smiled. “Go ahead.”

He sipped some more. He took her hand and held her gaze.

“I’m sorry, I must tell you… something stupid.”

“What…?”

“I would never put a… a drug into your drink. But…” She squeezed his hand. “…There’s a curandero a few blocks from the café.”

“I know it. Buy incense there.”

“Well, I bought a love potion…”

Mouth open, Aurora released his hand and sat back.

He said, “I realized how stupid I was… When those guys came over…I…”

“But…”

“I’m sorry. I won’t blame you if you never want to see me again… I’m so embarrassed.”

“But you drank it.”

Half drunk and full stupid, he nodded.

She laughed. “Did it work? You fall in love?”

“It did nothing. I am already. Fell for you months ago. The moment I saw you.”

“Seriously…”

“The martini just plastered me.” They cracked up.

She offered her hand. He took it.

Aurora said, “I’m surprised you’re still upright.”

He picked up two empty glasses. “Looks like I drank both. You want one?”

“Another time. Someone needs to drive.”

“I guess we should go. Sorry. I’m such an ass.”

“You made a mistake. And owned it. Which do you hang onto?”

He entered unfamiliar territory. “The truth…”

“Julian, when you gamble, you hedge. But who wants to live with one foot out the door?”

“Not me.” He swallowed. “I’m very sorry.”

“Tell you what. If we see each other again, no potions. We connect or not, but no spells and potions.”

“I can’t believe this… you are amazing.”

She held her hand with the little finger extended. “Pinky promise.”

Julian laughed. He looked around. “You expect me to keep a pinky promise?”

She leaned in and held his gaze. The restaurant grew quiet.

“Careful, Julian. Break that, no spell in the world can save you.”

He paused for a moment. This was no joke. He hooked her pinky with his. They shook and let go.

Julian sat back. “Wow…” Their eyes met and held. “So, when can I see you again?”



December 16, 2022 01:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Tommy Goround
07:44 Jan 10, 2023

:) Magical potion, rohipnol... Just depends on the era for morality. I found my wife at a slave auction for charity. She was the only one that had change when the bids were tied. Change is becoming funny, like plastic yen. Yummy pinky promise. Clapping. Probably everyone reading this has a grandmother grabbed by a grandfather in some conquering spirit of war and weddings. Unless they are Amazons from the Mediterranean. Best guess: last 25 generations. We are all rape babies.

Reply

John K Adams
15:40 Jan 10, 2023

I'm impressed. Change? Big spender! Glad you liked the story. Trigger warnings are now standard. Can't have a story without one. If it doesn't need one, probably not much of a story. Can you imagine what Hemingway or Poe, or any great writer would have thought about trigger warnings?

Reply

Show 0 replies
John K Adams
15:40 Jan 10, 2023

I'm impressed. Change? Big spender! Glad you liked the story. Trigger warnings are now standard. Can't have a story without one. If it doesn't need one, probably not much of a story. Can you imagine what Hemingway or Poe, or any great writer would have thought about trigger warnings?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Francis Daisy
03:12 Dec 29, 2022

Pinky promise? Really?

Reply

John K Adams
05:32 Dec 29, 2022

Thank you, Francis, for reading. And for commenting. In short, magical thinking takes on many guises.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Lehnert
17:21 Dec 21, 2022

Got me at pinky promise. John. Loved this story.

Reply

John K Adams
17:23 Dec 21, 2022

Thanks Mary. It was fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cassandra Adams
21:41 Dec 16, 2022

Creepily sweet and innocent! Julian's insecurity and desperation is somehow endearing. Go figure! His ultimate transparency saves the day!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.